Quiet Video Cards

"Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message
news:cpidnXoSd9vEZObcRVn-hw@comcast.com...
> Do these "quiet" video cards (no fan) require other cooling from the case
> fans
> or do they take care of themselves OK?
>
> http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/quiet_video_card.html?id=tuef2Ujg

Well you NEED case fans, if that's what you are asking. But they don't need
to be directed at the video card. -Dave

"Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

> "Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message
>> Do these "quiet" video cards (no fan) require other cooling from the case
>> fans
>> or do they take care of themselves OK?
>>
>> http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/quiet_video_card.html?id=tuef2Ujg
>>

> Well you NEED case fans, if that's what you are asking. But they don't
> need to be directed at the video card. -Dave

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to install an "extra" case fan if I
switch to a "fanless"
video card? (Right now my loudest fan is the one on my video card.)

>>> http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/quiet_video_card.html?id=tuef2Ujg
>>>

>> Well you NEED case fans, if that's what you are asking. But they don't
>> need to be directed at the video card. -Dave
>>

> I guess what I'm asking is do I need to install an "extra" case fan if I
> switch to a "fanless"
> video card? (Right now my loudest fan is the one on my video card.)

Ummmm . . . that depends on what your fans are, at the moment. Generally,
your power supply needs an exhaust fan, which is also used to provide SOME
very limited cooling for the case. That won't be enough by itself, though.
.. . Not even if your video card had a fan. You will need at least one fan
mounted low on the case pulling cool air in (usual location, low in the
FRONT of the case). If you don't have this already, then yes, you will need
an extra case fan. -Dave

>> I guess what I'm asking is do I need to install an "extra" case fan if I
>> switch to a "fanless"
>> video card? (Right now my loudest fan is the one on my video card.)
>>

> Ummmm . . . that depends on what your fans are, at the moment. Generally,
> your power supply needs an exhaust fan, which is also used to provide SOME
> very limited cooling for the case. That won't be enough by itself,
> though. . . Not even if your video card had a fan. You will need at least
> one fan mounted low on the case pulling cool air in (usual location, low
> in the FRONT of the case). If you don't have this already, then yes, you
> will need an extra case fan. -Dave

That's just what I have...p.supply fan, frt. case fan (about 3"), cpu fan,
and (presently) video card fan.

"Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message
> Do these "quiet" video cards (no fan) require other cooling from the case
> fans
> or do they take care of themselves OK?
>
> http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/quiet_video_card.html?id=tuef2Ujg

The heat is dumped inside your case, so you need good airflow. Your case
temp will increase slightly if new card produces more heat than old card.
Mike.

Michael Hawes wrote:

> "Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message
>
>>Do these "quiet" video cards (no fan) require other cooling from the case
>>fans
>>or do they take care of themselves OK?
>>
>>http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/quiet_video_card.html?id=tuef2Ujg
>>

> The heat is dumped inside your case, so you need good airflow. Your case
> temp will increase slightly if new card produces more heat than old card.

Those are both true whether the video card heatsink has a fan on it or not
(the exception being if it's a special heatsink/fan assembly that exhausts
out the adjacent PCI slot).

> Mike.

"Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message

" Do these 'quiet' video cards (no fan) require other cooling from the case
fans or do they take care of themselves OK? "

Wherever there are heatsinks, a continuous flow of air is expected to be
travelling across them. Otherwise there would be little point in having the
heatsink in the first place.

If you include a passively-cooled video card in a system with no case-fans,
you can only expect it to crash within a short period of time. You'll also
be shortening the life of your components by doing this.

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> "Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message
>
> " Do these 'quiet' video cards (no fan) require other cooling from the
> case
> fans or do they take care of themselves OK? "
>

> Wherever there are heatsinks, a continuous flow of air is expected to be
> travelling across them. Otherwise there would be little point in having
> the
> heatsink in the first place.
>
> If you include a passively-cooled video card in a system with no
> case-fans,
> you can only expect it to crash within a short period of time. You'll
> also
> be shortening the life of your components by doing this.

Do round cables make a noticeable increase in airflow thru the case?

Dave C. wrote:

>>>Well you NEED case fans, if that's what you are asking. But they don't
>>>need to be directed at the video card. -Dave
>>>

>>I guess what I'm asking is do I need to install an "extra" case fan if I
>>switch to a "fanless"
>>video card? (Right now my loudest fan is the one on my video card.)
>>

> Ummmm . . . that depends on what your fans are, at the moment. Generally,
> your power supply needs an exhaust fan, which is also used to provide SOME
> very limited cooling for the case. That won't be enough by itself, though.
> . . Not even if your video card had a fan. You will need at least one fan
> mounted low on the case pulling cool air in (usual location, low in the
> FRONT of the case).

No. The best position for a single case fan is at the rear, exhasting
the hot air and working in parallel with the PSU fan creating airflow
through the case that will cool all devices.

> If you don't have this already, then yes, you will need
> an extra case fan. -Dave

neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/

"Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:FvqdnScVOvTpl-HcRVn-jQ@comcast.com ¤¤¼¶¼g...

> "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> > "Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet> wrote in message
> >

> Do round cables make a noticeable increase in airflow thru the case?

Yes. At least for my case where the hdd's are mounted all the way at the
bottom. I noticed that after switching to round cables, I can feel the
front intake fan even after it blown on the hdd and out back. With flat
cable's the breeze stops before the cables.

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in

>> Ummmm . . . that depends on what your fans are, at the moment.
>> Generally, your power supply needs an exhaust fan, which is also used
>> to provide SOME very limited cooling for the case. That won't be
>> enough by itself, though. . . Not even if your video card had a fan.
>> You will need at least one fan mounted low on the case pulling cool
>> air in (usual location, low in the FRONT of the case).
>
> No. The best position for a single case fan is at the rear, exhasting
> the hot air and working in parallel with the PSU fan creating airflow
> through the case that will cool all devices.

I was under the impression that its better to have balance with intake and
exhaust. With air flowing from lower front to upper back. If the PSU fan is
doing a good job creating -ve pressure then given the chioce of a single
fan, a low front intake would seem better for airflow. Using it for
additional rear exhaust would increase -ve pressure but cool air might not
neccesarily flow across components. es HDs which are usually at the front.
In this case air is more likely to come in through any gaps that are close
to the fans. (eg Empty Rear fan cut-outs, PCI slots etc)

Thats just my opinion based on zero evidence though. So I'm not presenting
it as fact :)

Lordy

>> Do round cables make a noticeable increase in airflow thru the case?
>
> Yes. At least for my case where the hdd's are mounted all the way at the
> bottom. I noticed that after switching to round cables, I can feel the
> front intake fan even after it blown on the hdd and out back. With flat
> cable's the breeze stops before the cables.

So is anyone here using a "fanless" video card? Have you noticed any
problems
with heat since going fanless?

Lordy wrote:
> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in
>

>>>Ummmm . . . that depends on what your fans are, at the moment.
>>>Generally, your power supply needs an exhaust fan, which is also used
>>>to provide SOME very limited cooling for the case. That won't be
>>>enough by itself, though. . . Not even if your video card had a fan.
>>>You will need at least one fan mounted low on the case pulling cool
>>>air in (usual location, low in the FRONT of the case).
>>
>>No. The best position for a single case fan is at the rear, exhasting
>>the hot air and working in parallel with the PSU fan creating airflow
>>through the case that will cool all devices.
>

> I was under the impression that its better to have balance with intake and
> exhaust. With air flowing from lower front to upper back. If the PSU fan is
> doing a good job creating -ve pressure then given the chioce of a single
> fan, a low front intake would seem better for airflow. Using it for
> additional rear exhaust would increase -ve pressure but cool air might not
> neccesarily flow across components. es HDs which are usually at the front.
> In this case air is more likely to come in through any gaps that are close
> to the fans. (eg Empty Rear fan cut-outs, PCI slots etc)
>
> Thats just my opinion based on zero evidence though. So I'm not presenting
> it as fact :)
>
> Lordy

Front intake fans don't really do a great job of pulling air in for most
case designs (especially generic or unmodified cases). They do, however,
do a good job of creating extra noise! Exhausting the hot air is more
important than trying to pull more air in than is already coming in from
the airflow created by the PSU fan.

Cheers,

Ari

spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in news:417e7982$1
@quokka.wn.com.au:

> Front intake fans don't really do a great job of pulling air in for most
> case designs (especially generic or unmodified cases). They do, however,
> do a good job of creating extra noise! Exhausting the hot air is more
> important than trying to pull more air in than is already coming in from
> the airflow created by the PSU fan.

But dont PSU fans exhaust? Or do you mean the airflow coming in to equalise
the -ve pressure from the PSU exhaust?

Lordy

Lordy wrote:
> spodosaurus <spodosaurus@_yahoo_.com> wrote in news:417e7982$1
> @quokka.wn.com.au:
>

>>Front intake fans don't really do a great job of pulling air in for most
>>case designs (especially generic or unmodified cases). They do, however,
>>do a good job of creating extra noise! Exhausting the hot air is more
>>important than trying to pull more air in than is already coming in from
>>the airflow created by the PSU fan.
>

> But dont PSU fans exhaust? Or do you mean the airflow coming in to equalise
> the -ve pressure from the PSU exhaust?
>
> Lordy

Yes, PSU fans exhaust. What part about what I typed is unclear?

Mr Koko wrote:

>>>Do round cables make a noticeable increase in airflow thru the case?
>>
>>Yes. At least for my case where the hdd's are mounted all the way at the
>>bottom. I noticed that after switching to round cables, I can feel the
>>front intake fan even after it blown on the hdd and out back. With flat
>>cable's the breeze stops before the cables.
>>

> So is anyone here using a "fanless" video card? Have you noticed any
> problems
> with heat since going fanless?

The card you're looking at comes with a heatsink that the manufacturer
says is sufficient. It's not a gaming card, so it's not likely to
generate terrible amounts of heat. 'going fanless' usually refers to
replacing a fanned heatsink with a larger passive heatpipe cooler for a
gaming video card. As long as you have at least one case fan, preferably
exhausting heat rather than as a noise producing inefficient intake fan,
you should be fine.

Cheers,

Ari