Floppy won't co operate

Hi there....I hope someone can help ?
I inherited a P 500 (Asus P2-99) from a friend. All seems OK except for the
floppy.
The light is constantly ON...it's recognised by Win XP but it doesn't
recognise a disk in the drive. I'm yet to hear it actaully go!
I have replaced the original drive in the computer with a spare I had lying
about and the same thing happens.
A friend suggested the cable was reversed? Tried that...nothing happened. Is
it possible that it's not receiving power? Just a thought...
Any suggestions appreciated!

It's possible that the floppy controller on the motherboard has failed.

--
DaveW

"Wilma Flintstone" <nowhere@nothing.com> wrote in message
> Hi there....I hope someone can help ?
> I inherited a P 500 (Asus P2-99) from a friend. All seems OK except for
> the floppy.
> The light is constantly ON...it's recognised by Win XP but it doesn't
> recognise a disk in the drive. I'm yet to hear it actaully go!
> I have replaced the original drive in the computer with a spare I had
> lying about and the same thing happens.
> A friend suggested the cable was reversed? Tried that...nothing happened.
> Is it possible that it's not receiving power? Just a thought...
> Any suggestions appreciated!

"Wilma Flintstone" <nowhere@nothing.com> wrote in message
> Hi there....I hope someone can help ?
> I inherited a P 500 (Asus P2-99) from a friend. All seems OK except for
the
> floppy.
> The light is constantly ON...it's recognised by Win XP but it doesn't
> recognise a disk in the drive. I'm yet to hear it actaully go!
> I have replaced the original drive in the computer with a spare I had
lying
> about and the same thing happens.
> A friend suggested the cable was reversed? Tried that...nothing happened.
Is
> it possible that it's not receiving power? Just a thought...
> Any suggestions appreciated!

Perhaps your friend is correct, did you reverse the cable at the correct
end?

MJP

"MJP" <mjpjunk32@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "Wilma Flintstone" <nowhere@nothing.com> wrote in message
>> Hi there....I hope someone can help ?
>> I inherited a P 500 (Asus P2-99) from a friend. All seems OK except for
> the
>> floppy.
>> The light is constantly ON...it's recognised by Win XP but it doesn't
>> recognise a disk in the drive. I'm yet to hear it actaully go!
>> I have replaced the original drive in the computer with a spare I had
> lying
>> about and the same thing happens.
>> A friend suggested the cable was reversed? Tried that...nothing happened.
> Is
>> it possible that it's not receiving power? Just a thought...
>> Any suggestions appreciated!
>
> Perhaps your friend is correct, did you reverse the cable at the correct
> end?
>
> MJP
>
>I reversed the end that attaches to the drive without luck...
My other thought was to try a new cable?

Hi Dave,
That sounds like it might be the answer ? Is there anyway for a novice to
find out?
It probably isn't a big deal as it's only a backup machine and I can boot
from CDs etc,but it's always good to learn something new too!

In article <bWUed.19816$Pl.4614@pd7tw1no>, Wilma Flintstone says...
> Hi there....I hope someone can help ?
> I inherited a P 500 (Asus P2-99) from a friend. All seems OK except for the
> floppy.
> The light is constantly ON...it's recognised by Win XP but it doesn't
> recognise a disk in the drive. I'm yet to hear it actaully go!
> I have replaced the original drive in the computer with a spare I had lying
> about and the same thing happens.
> A friend suggested the cable was reversed? Tried that...nothing happened. Is
> it possible that it's not receiving power? Just a thought...
> Any suggestions appreciated!

Make sure the end with the twist in is at the floppy drive end. If the
light stays on, turn the floppy drive connector upside down and try it
again. One side of the ribbon cable should have a red or black stripe
on it. That indicates pin one. Ususally on the floppy drive end, its
nearest the power connector.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

When I built mine 2 years ago I had identical problems. Fooling with the
cables as other have noted solved the problem.

Encountered identical problem building a pc for my buddy two weeks ago.
Again, fooling with the cables got the light to go out, but fd still was
nonfunctional. A different fd worked however, so we concluded the fd was
broken.

When the fd light stays on all time,
the cables are not correctly attached.

Many thanks to all. I'll give it a try....
I believe I've got another cable as well and it can't hurt to switch it out.
Thanks again!