CPU temperatures

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 25, 2004 12:09:35 AM

Running ecs k7s5a, recently went from xp1700 to xp2000.

I was dismayed to see cpu temps increase from ~100 degF to ~109
(= ~43 degC)
(Mobo runs as high as >91 degF.)

Does an xp2000 usually run hotter than an xp1700?
How hot is too hot?

As an experiment, I removed the side cover, and cpu and mobo eventually
dropped about 5 deg F.
Is there any disadvantage to running with the side cover removed? I
don't have cats or kids.

More about : cpu temperatures

October 25, 2004 12:30:01 AM

"P T" <Petepenguin@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Running ecs k7s5a, recently went from xp1700 to xp2000.
>
> I was dismayed to see cpu temps increase from ~100 degF to ~109
> (= ~43 degC)
> (Mobo runs as high as >91 degF.)
>
> Does an xp2000 usually run hotter than an xp1700?
> How hot is too hot?
>
> As an experiment, I removed the side cover, and cpu and mobo eventually
> dropped about 5 deg F.
> Is there any disadvantage to running with the side cover removed? I
> don't have cats or kids.

for the exact specs...you can check AMD's website...
however you are running quite cool and have nothing to worry about...
i've never noticed any problems with AMD's until above 60 degrees C

on two occasions i;ve had cooling fans fail and the cpu got way too hot to
touch...the machine had been acting sluggish...
however the cpu was not damaged and worked fine after the fan was replaced!
Related resources
October 25, 2004 7:15:13 PM

My XP2500 is at 60 degC which is where it normally sits. Been running
for over a year with no problems. I hate fan noise so I'm using a 80mm
fan (with adapter) that runs at ~2900RPM and no case fans (system temp
37 degC).

P T wrote:

> Running ecs k7s5a, recently went from xp1700 to xp2000.
>
> I was dismayed to see cpu temps increase from ~100 degF to ~109
> (= ~43 degC)
> (Mobo runs as high as >91 degF.)
>
> Does an xp2000 usually run hotter than an xp1700?
> How hot is too hot?
>
> As an experiment, I removed the side cover, and cpu and mobo eventually
> dropped about 5 deg F.
> Is there any disadvantage to running with the side cover removed? I
> don't have cats or kids.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
October 26, 2004 2:31:47 AM

> As an experiment, I removed the side cover, and cpu and mobo eventually
> dropped about 5 deg F.
> Is there any disadvantage to running with the side cover removed? I
> don't have cats or kids.

As long as you don't let mice nest in it, you should be all right.
!