How to clean case window panel?

Dear Experts,

Would like to know what material to use to clean the clear side panel of my
case, it's made of acrylic. I almost scratched it with cloth.. would a pair
of hanes be better?

Can acrylics take solvents? Or alcohol? Thanks.

"Bronney Hui" <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote in message news:<clifpg$or32@imsp212.netvigator.com>...

> Would like to know what material to use to clean the clear side
> panel of my case, it's made of acrylic. I almost scratched it
> with cloth.. would a pair of hanes be better?

Hanes underwear is OK but not Hanes pantyhose.

Acrylic polishes well, and smaller scratches can be removed by simply
rubbing them rapidly with a clean, dry 100% cotton cloth. Larger
scratches need an abrasive, like glass or plastic polish, but you can
get by with a low-abrasion toothpaste, such as Arm & Hammer, Ultra
Brite Baking Soda & Peroxide, Sensodyne, Aquafresh Sensitive, or
Rembrandt. Regular Colgate is also OK. Other versions of these
brands can be much more abrasive. Some cleansers also work well, but
their chlorine bleach may cause metal to eventually corrode, and
contrary to what Paul Harvey says, Bon Ami is not the least abrasive
cleanser.
Make-up rouge is a very good polish, but because it's rust it stains
everything.

> Can acrylics take solvents? Or alcohol?

Alcohol is safe, but other solvents, like acetone or paint
thinner/reducer, will dissolve acrylic and make it foggy or white.

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> ???
news:iblpn0petmmsi0vpeoh4g5l379hli4n8dl@4ax.com ???...

> I don't know where the OP lives but here in Dallas we have two hardware
> superstore chains, Home Depot and Lowes. I know that Home Depot offers at
> least three grades of clear plastic sheet. I usually get the most
> expensive kind (Lexan) and just clean it with either dish detergent or
> Windex type window spray without a problem. I do use a soft all cotton
> diaper though. Rags cut from t-shirts might have some harsher synthetic
> fibers that could scratch the plastic.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Yeah Mike! That's what I think, cuz I was using a T-shirt texture thing,
maybe the polyester scratching it. It's just a teeny bit though.

I currently stay in Hong Kong but lived in toronto canada for 12 years. I
miss home depot!! Best place for screws. I better email cooler master and
ask them what plastic they used for the window. Cuz I am one of those
people who never touch the computer screen, my glasses, or anything for
seeing thru's (excluding somethings hehe). And I need my things clean and
clear!

"Bronney Hui" <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote in message news:<clilai$okt1@imsp212.netvigator.com>...

> "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> ???
> news:iblpn0petmmsi0vpeoh4g5l379hli4n8dl@4ax.com ???...

> > I know that Home Depot offers at least three grades of
> > clear plastic sheet. I usually get the most expensive
> > kind (Lexan) and just clean it with either dish detergent
> > or Windex type window spray without a problem.

> I currently stay in Hong Kong but lived in toronto canada
> for 12 years. I miss home depot!! Best place for screws.

I avoid Home Depot and Lowe's for small hardware because of quality
problems, such as lack of threads on some screws I bought.

Lexan (polycarbonate) is a very tough plastic and better for computer
windows than ordinary acrylic because Lexan is much more fire
resistant. But it's softer and doesn't take a polish as well, and
even the least-abrasive toothpaste will scratch it, something you can
verify with a CD or DVD.

You should be using a specific plastics cleaner and a plastics polish
ideally rated for that use.

--
DaveW

"Bronney Hui" <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote in message
> Dear Experts,
>
> Would like to know what material to use to clean the clear side panel of
> my
> case, it's made of acrylic. I almost scratched it with cloth.. would a
> pair
> of hanes be better?
>
> Can acrylics take solvents? Or alcohol? Thanks.

do_not_spam_me:

> Acrylic polishes well, and smaller scratches can be removed by simply
> rubbing them rapidly with a clean, dry 100% cotton cloth.

Futura will work a miracle.

--
Mac Cool

Andrew

"Brillianize" Look in the Yellow Pages under "plastics". I paid $6.11 for 1
(8 oz.) spray bottle that lasted over a year. There is also a repair kit for
scratches, basically very fine sand paper. Never used it, but no one says
anything bad about it.

Ask about it in the salt water (reef) fish newsgroup, but they say what I
told you, or better yet - Google

"do_not_spam_me" <do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com> ???
news:101710fa.0410251514.21d25afc@posting.google.com ???...
> "Bronney Hui" <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote in message
>
> > Would like to know what material to use to clean the clear side
> > panel of my case, it's made of acrylic. I almost scratched it
> > with cloth.. would a pair of hanes be better?
>
> Hanes underwear is OK but not Hanes pantyhose.

Are you MAD? Pantyhose?? I was thinking of panties ;)

> Acrylic polishes well, and smaller scratches can be removed by simply
> rubbing them rapidly with a clean, dry 100% cotton cloth. Larger
> scratches need an abrasive, like glass or plastic polish, but you can
> get by with a low-abrasion toothpaste, such as Arm & Hammer, Ultra
> Brite Baking Soda & Peroxide, Sensodyne, Aquafresh Sensitive, or
> Rembrandt. Regular Colgate is also OK. Other versions of these
> brands can be much more abrasive. Some cleansers also work well, but
> their chlorine bleach may cause metal to eventually corrode, and
> contrary to what Paul Harvey says, Bon Ami is not the least abrasive
> cleanser.
> Make-up rouge is a very good polish, but because it's rust it stains
> everything.
>
> > Can acrylics take solvents? Or alcohol?
>
> Alcohol is safe, but other solvents, like acetone or paint
> thinner/reducer, will dissolve acrylic and make it foggy or white.

Thanks for a great post man, never knew I can actually take out the scratch
with polishes.

Bronney Hui:

>> Hanes underwear is OK but not Hanes pantyhose.
>
> Are you MAD? Pantyhose?? I was thinking of panties ;)

Then you can sell them on ebay as used panties, just don't mention what
they were used for. <g>
--
Mac Cool

Andrew

> "do_not_spam_me" <do_not_spam_me@my-deja.com> ???
> news:101710fa.0410251514.21d25afc@posting.google.com ???...
>> "Bronney Hui" <bronney@netvigator.com> wrote in message
>>
>> > Would like to know what material to use to clean the clear side
>> > panel of my case, it's made of acrylic. I almost scratched it
>> > with cloth.. would a pair of hanes be better?
>>
>> Hanes underwear is OK but not Hanes pantyhose.
>
> Are you MAD? Pantyhose?? I was thinking of panties ;)

Gawd! NO ONE wears them any more. If you _must_ wear something then thongs
are current.