system retore xp

I disabled system restore. But when I defrag I still see a giant area of
my hard drive controlled by it. Seems like they make it hard to delete.
How can I delete this? I assume system restore will make a new recovery
partition somewhere else if I ever want to restart it.

How do I get rid of the recovery partion? Thanks, Lee G.

leegold2 wrote:

> I disabled system restore. But when I defrag I still see a giant area of
> my hard drive controlled by it. Seems like they make it hard to delete.
> How can I delete this? I assume system restore will make a new recovery
> partition somewhere else if I ever want to restart it.
>
> How do I get rid of the recovery partion? Thanks, Lee G.

Run disk cleanup. Deleting obsolete restore points is part of it's
'cleanup' exercise.

"leegold2" <leegold@nospam.net> wrote in message
> I disabled system restore. But when I defrag I still see a giant area of
> my hard drive controlled by it. Seems like they make it hard to delete.
> How can I delete this? I assume system restore will make a new recovery
> partition somewhere else if I ever want to restart it.
>
> How do I get rid of the recovery partion? Thanks, Lee G.
Area marked 'unmovable' is general hidden and system files, not only System
Restore.
Mike.

Michael Hawes wrote:

> "leegold2" <leegold@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>I disabled system restore. But when I defrag I still see a giant area of
>>my hard drive controlled by it. Seems like they make it hard to delete.
>>How can I delete this? I assume system restore will make a new recovery
>>partition somewhere else if I ever want to restart it.
>>
>>How do I get rid of the recovery partion? Thanks, Lee G.
>
> Area marked 'unmovable' is general hidden and system files, not only System
> Restore.
> Mike.

But he is correct. Even when you turn off system restore and XP says you'll
'lose' your restore points the files are not removed from the hard drive
until you do a disk cleanup (or the drive fills up forcing XP to reallocate
the space).

David Maynard wrote:
> Michael Hawes wrote:
>
>> "leegold2" <leegold@nospam.net> wrote in message
>>
>>> I disabled system restore. But when I defrag I still see a giant area of
>>> my hard drive controlled by it. Seems like they make it hard to delete.
>>> How can I delete this? I assume system restore will make a new recovery
>>> partition somewhere else if I ever want to restart it.
>>>
>>> How do I get rid of the recovery partion? Thanks, Lee G.
>>

>> Area marked 'unmovable' is general hidden and system files, not only
>> System
>> Restore.
>> Mike.
>>

> But he is correct. Even when you turn off system restore and XP says
> you'll 'lose' your restore points the files are not removed from the
> hard drive until you do a disk cleanup (or the drive fills up forcing XP
> to reallocate the space).

Did a disk cleanup and checked the clean restore points option - no effect.

leegold2 wrote:

> David Maynard wrote:
>
>> Michael Hawes wrote:
>>
>>> "leegold2" <leegold@nospam.net> wrote in message

>>> Area marked 'unmovable' is general hidden and system files, not only
>>> System
>>> Restore.
>>> Mike.
>>>

>> But he is correct. Even when you turn off system restore and XP says
>> you'll 'lose' your restore points the files are not removed from the
>> hard drive until you do a disk cleanup (or the drive fills up forcing
>> XP to reallocate the space).
>>

> Did a disk cleanup and checked the clean restore points option - no effect.

Then you either don't have system restore turned off or the 'data' you are
concerned about isn't coming from the restore folders.

Easy enough to see. Log on as Administrator and add (user) administrator to
the security settings for the System Volume Information folder (hidden on
the system drive) and then do a properties on it to get size. You can also
browse it then.

Remove the Admin user from it's security settings when done.