Please asking for suggestions on a good video card

I need advice on a good video card for games (Doom 3), applications, and
movie and image editing.
I'm asking you to suggest me some cards that work for you (brands and models
and memory size).
Are the 256MB worth the price compared to the 128MB? Budget of $200,
perhaps a little more.

"Chinche" <hotrod2k@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I need advice on a good video card for games (Doom 3), applications, and
> movie and image editing.
> I'm asking you to suggest me some cards that work for you (brands and
> models
> and memory size).
> Are the 256MB worth the price compared to the 128MB? Budget of $200,
> perhaps a little more.

That depends mostly on your motherboard. For example, is it PCI Express or
AGP? If AGP, what version? In general though, a Radeon 9800 Pro would be
about right for your needs and budget, if your mainboard supports it. -Dave

You MIGHT want to list your system's hardware specs if you hope to receive
an intelligent answer. The video card choice depends on the other hardware.

--
DaveW

"Chinche" <hotrod2k@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I need advice on a good video card for games (Doom 3), applications, and
> movie and image editing.
> I'm asking you to suggest me some cards that work for you (brands and
> models
> and memory size).
> Are the 256MB worth the price compared to the 128MB? Budget of $200,
> perhaps a little more.

Chinche:

> I need advice on a good video card for games (Doom 3), applications,
> and movie and image editing.
> I'm asking you to suggest me some cards that work for you (brands and
> models and memory size).
> Are the 256MB worth the price compared to the 128MB? Budget of $200,
> perhaps a little more.

Personally I have an FX5900XT
http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html

9800 Pro
--------
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=320861

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?DEPA=0&description=14-131-
247&ATT=Video+Cards&CMP=OTC-d3alt1me

FX5900XT
--------
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-119
&depa=1
--
Mac Cool

In article <Xns958DED9E8E065MacCool@24.25.9.42>, Mac@
2cool.com says...
> Chinche:
>
> > I need advice on a good video card for games (Doom 3), applications,
> > and movie and image editing.
> > I'm asking you to suggest me some cards that work for you (brands and
> > models and memory size).
> > Are the 256MB worth the price compared to the 128MB? Budget of $200,
> > perhaps a little more.
>
> Personally I have an FX5900XT
> http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html

That's exactly what I chose this last time around for my
upgrade (it's about 75% faster then my old Ti4600).
Paid around $185 for mine.

I looked at some faster video cards, but very quickly I
was up in the $300-$400 range, which was more then I
want to pay for a video card.

The 256MB cards aren't worth the price premium (yet).

I currently have a generic 64Mb gForce2-MX400 4xAGP installed and
it works great for me in EverQuest, Descent, SimCity-4, the Sims
and The Sims-2.

I have had a lot of luck with gForce cards and they arent
expensive.

Some people report problems with them, which it seems to be
related to the latest driver being buggy. When EverQuest upgraded
to DirectX-9 I upgraded my drivers and everything went berzerk.
Putting back the old version fixed it all.

"Toshi1873" <toshi1873@nowhere.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> In article <Xns958DED9E8E065MacCool@24.25.9.42>, Mac@
> 2cool.com says...
> > Chinche:
> >
> > > I need advice on a good video card for games (Doom 3), applications,
> > > and movie and image editing.
> > > I'm asking you to suggest me some cards that work for you (brands and
> > > models and memory size).
> > > Are the 256MB worth the price compared to the 128MB? Budget of $200,
> > > perhaps a little more.
> >
> > Personally I have an FX5900XT
> > http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html
>
> That's exactly what I chose this last time around for my
> upgrade (it's about 75% faster then my old Ti4600).
> Paid around $185 for mine.
>
> I looked at some faster video cards, but very quickly I
> was up in the $300-$400 range, which was more then I
> want to pay for a video card.
>
> The 256MB cards aren't worth the price premium (yet).

Look for a Wintek 6800LE.

G.

"John Borowski" <roko42u1@NOSPAMFROMYOU.rexx.com> skrev i en meddelelse
> I currently have a generic 64Mb gForce2-MX400 4xAGP installed and
> it works great for me in EverQuest, Descent, SimCity-4, the Sims
> and The Sims-2.
>
> I have had a lot of luck with gForce cards and they arent
> expensive.
>
> Some people report problems with them, which it seems to be
> related to the latest driver being buggy. When EverQuest upgraded
> to DirectX-9 I upgraded my drivers and everything went berzerk.
> Putting back the old version fixed it all.

What a useful post.... which old drv. version ???
2 machines w. MX 400 just doing their job here at 800x600, low details.

> which old drv. version ???

5664 is the one that I have that works.
6177 was the one I installed with the EverQuest upgrade and was
buggy... I havent looked to see if there is a newer one since.

In article <41815f90$0$199
$edfadb0f@dread11.news.tele.dk>, rudiFJERNkols@mail.dk
says...
> Look for a Wintek 6800LE.

If I had to pick the next step up, it would probably be
a plain NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (no LE, no GT, no Ultra).
Those are available for $275.