SCSI CDRW won't boot now

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2004 12:27:50 AM

Hi, I am not sure if this is the right NG for this but here goes.

I have a SCSI CDRW drive (Plexwriter), and a DVD Writer installed as
Secondary Master.
Now prior to installing the DVD writer all my boot CD's would boot from
the SCSI drive, but now they won't and will only boot from the DVD
writer/drive which is a pain because that writer/drive is too slow
compared to the SCSI drive. I am not sure what the dvd drive (Pioneer
106) reads CDs at, but the SCSI drive reads them at x32.

Any ideas as to how I can get the SCSI drive to boot CDs again?

Thanks
--
Bob H
Leeds UK

More about : scsi cdrw boot

October 26, 2004 12:27:51 AM

what's the boot sequence set to?
have you gone into the SCSI setup routine to see if anything has
changed?

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am not sure if this is the right NG for this but here goes.
>
> I have a SCSI CDRW drive (Plexwriter), and a DVD Writer installed as
> Secondary Master.
> Now prior to installing the DVD writer all my boot CD's would boot
from
> the SCSI drive, but now they won't and will only boot from the DVD
> writer/drive which is a pain because that writer/drive is too slow
> compared to the SCSI drive. I am not sure what the dvd drive
(Pioneer
> 106) reads CDs at, but the SCSI drive reads them at x32.
>
> Any ideas as to how I can get the SCSI drive to boot CDs again?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Bob H
> Leeds UK
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2004 1:00:57 AM

The boot sequence is set at 'CDROM' first boot device.
Errr, where will I find the SCSI setup routine?

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

well it may be different for each SCSI card... but mine is F2 at the
post screen
also I believe there is a cmos setting to boot from 'SCSI device'.
not to be confused with 'boot from CD-ROM

> The boot sequence is set at 'CDROM' first boot device.
> Errr, where will I find the SCSI setup routine?
>
> Thanks
>
> JAD wrote:
> > what's the boot sequence set to?
> > have you gone into the SCSI setup routine to see if anything has
> > changed?
> >

> > "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi, I am not sure if this is the right NG for this but here goes.
> >>
> >>I have a SCSI CDRW drive (Plexwriter), and a DVD Writer installed
as
> >>Secondary Master.
> >>Now prior to installing the DVD writer all my boot CD's would boot
> >
> > from
> >
> >>the SCSI drive, but now they won't and will only boot from the DVD
> >>writer/drive which is a pain because that writer/drive is too slow
> >>compared to the SCSI drive. I am not sure what the dvd drive
> >
> > (Pioneer
> >
> >>106) reads CDs at, but the SCSI drive reads them at x32.
> >>
> >>Any ideas as to how I can get the SCSI drive to boot CDs again?
> >>
> >>Thanks
> >>--
> >>Bob H
> >>Leeds UK
> >

> --
> Bob H
> Leeds UK
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2004 1:00:58 AM

Howdy!

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
> The boot sequence is set at 'CDROM' first boot device.

Well, duh. You've TOLD it to boot off of the DVD.

Tell it SCSI first, and then see what happens.

> Errr, where will I find the SCSI setup routine?

When the machine boots, you should see a post about something like
"Press (Ctrl-A) for SCSI Setup" or somesuch, depending on the host adapter
you use. Do that.

RwP
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2004 2:12:39 AM

In article <417d5b34$0$2867$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, Bob H
says...
> The boot sequence is set at 'CDROM' first boot device.
> Errr, where will I find the SCSI setup routine?

If CDROM is set as the first boot device then the BIOS will boot fro
the first IDE CDROM drive it'll find.

--
Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2004 3:19:27 AM

My understanding is that Windows preferentially boots from an IDE drive
before it will boot from a SCSI drive.

--
DaveW

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am not sure if this is the right NG for this but here goes.
>
> I have a SCSI CDRW drive (Plexwriter), and a DVD Writer installed as
> Secondary Master.
> Now prior to installing the DVD writer all my boot CD's would boot from
> the SCSI drive, but now they won't and will only boot from the DVD
> writer/drive which is a pain because that writer/drive is too slow
> compared to the SCSI drive. I am not sure what the dvd drive (Pioneer 106)
> reads CDs at, but the SCSI drive reads them at x32.
>
> Any ideas as to how I can get the SCSI drive to boot CDs again?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Bob H
> Leeds UK
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2004 3:19:28 AM

DaveW wrote:

> My understanding is that Windows preferentially boots from an IDE drive
> before it will boot from a SCSI drive.

Would be hard to see how this could be a 'windows' preference since before
it's booted the computer hasn't a clue as to what O.S. you're intending to
boot.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 26, 2004 11:12:44 PM

Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
>
>>The boot sequence is set at 'CDROM' first boot device.
>

> Well, duh. You've TOLD it to boot off of the DVD.
>
> Tell it SCSI first, and then see what happens.
>

>>Errr, where will I find the SCSI setup routine?
>

> When the machine boots, you should see a post about something like
> "Press (Ctrl-A) for SCSI Setup" or somesuch, depending on the host adapter
> you use. Do that.
>
> RwP

I have now changed it to boot from SCSI. There is nothing in the POST
screen for scsi setup. My SCSI CDRW drive is connected to an Adaptec card.
For clarification, I used to have a SCSI CDRW and an IDE CDROM, and the
SCSI CDRW was the 1st boot device even tho' it was set at CDROM.

Now I have a DVD writer and it will only boot my CDs
The SCSI CDRW is drive letter R, and the DVD Writer is drive letter Q

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

what happens when you remove the other drives, will it then boot from
the SCSI?

> Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
> > Howdy!
> >
> > "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>The boot sequence is set at 'CDROM' first boot device.
> >

> > Well, duh. You've TOLD it to boot off of the DVD.
> >
> > Tell it SCSI first, and then see what happens.
> >

> >>Errr, where will I find the SCSI setup routine?
> >

> > When the machine boots, you should see a post about
something like
> > "Press (Ctrl-A) for SCSI Setup" or somesuch, depending on the host
adapter
> > you use. Do that.
> >
> > RwP
> >

> I have now changed it to boot from SCSI. There is nothing in the
POST
> screen for scsi setup. My SCSI CDRW drive is connected to an Adaptec
card.
> For clarification, I used to have a SCSI CDRW and an IDE CDROM, and
the
> SCSI CDRW was the 1st boot device even tho' it was set at CDROM.
>
> Now I have a DVD writer and it will only boot my CDs
> The SCSI CDRW is drive letter R, and the DVD Writer is drive letter
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Bob H
> Leeds UK
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2004 1:58:59 AM

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I am not sure if this is the right NG for this but here goes.
>
> I have a SCSI CDRW drive (Plexwriter), and a DVD Writer installed as
> Secondary Master.
> Now prior to installing the DVD writer all my boot CD's would boot from
> the SCSI drive, but now they won't and will only boot from the DVD
> writer/drive which is a pain because that writer/drive is too slow
> compared to the SCSI drive. I am not sure what the dvd drive (Pioneer
> 106) reads CDs at, but the SCSI drive reads them at x32.
>
> Any ideas as to how I can get the SCSI drive to boot CDs again?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Bob H
> Leeds UK
Is a 'feature' of motherboard, IDE is given priority over SCSI.
Mike.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2004 2:31:16 AM

I don't know yet; I haven't tried that, but have considered removing the
ide cable from the dvd writer.
System is busy downloading 3 cds at the moment, so will try tomorrow.

Thanks

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

Howdy!

"Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message

> I have now changed it to boot from SCSI. There is nothing in the POST
> screen for scsi setup. My SCSI CDRW drive is connected to an Adaptec card.
> For clarification, I used to have a SCSI CDRW and an IDE CDROM, and the
> SCSI CDRW was the 1st boot device even tho' it was set at CDROM.

If you're not getting the Adaptec BIOS signon, then you won't get a
boot.

You might have turned the BIOS off. There's utilities on the
Adaptec web site to turn it back on. You might want to try that.

BTW - Adaptec is the one that uses "Ctrl-A".

RwP
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 27, 2004 11:46:20 PM

Bob H wrote:
> I don't know yet; I haven't tried that, but have considered removing the
> ide cable from the dvd writer.
> System is busy downloading 3 cds at the moment, so will try tomorrow.
>
> Thanks
>
> JAD wrote:
>
>> what happens when you remove the other drives, will it then boot from
>> the SCSI?
>>
>> "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message

>> something like

>> adapter

>>> I have now changed it to boot from SCSI. There is nothing in the
>>

>> POST
>>
>>> screen for scsi setup. My SCSI CDRW drive is connected to an Adaptec
>>

>> card.
>>
>>> For clarification, I used to have a SCSI CDRW and an IDE CDROM, and
>>

>> the
>>
>>> SCSI CDRW was the 1st boot device even tho' it was set at CDROM.
>>>
>>> Now I have a DVD writer and it will only boot my CDs
>>> The SCSI CDRW is drive letter R, and the DVD Writer is drive letter

>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bob H
>>> Leeds UK

Ok, update here.

I disconnected the dvd drive, and put a bootable cdr in the scsi CDRW
drive. Switched the machine on, set BIOS to boot from SCSI, rebooted;
result: nothing! So just for arguments sake I set the BIOS to boot from
CDROM, and tried again, same thing nothing. The CDR would not boot from
the scsi CDRW drive, but will from the dvd drive!!!

Oh well thanks for trying.

--
Bob H
Leeds UK

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 19:46:20 +0100, Bob H <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote:

>Bob H wrote:
>> I don't know yet; I haven't tried that, but have considered removing the
>> ide cable from the dvd writer.
>> System is busy downloading 3 cds at the moment, so will try tomorrow.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> JAD wrote:
>>
>>> what happens when you remove the other drives, will it then boot from
>>> the SCSI?
>>>
>>> "Bob H" <bobg4uyi@despammer.com> wrote in message

>>> something like

>>> adapter you use. Do that.

>>> POST screen for scsi setup. My SCSI CDRW drive is connected to an Adaptec
>>>

>>> card.

>>> the SCSI CDRW was the 1st boot device even tho' it was set at CDROM.

>Ok, update here.
>
>I disconnected the dvd drive, and put a bootable cdr in the scsi CDRW
>drive. Switched the machine on, set BIOS to boot from SCSI, rebooted;
>result: nothing! So just for arguments sake I set the BIOS to boot from
>CDROM, and tried again, same thing nothing. The CDR would not boot from
>the scsi CDRW drive, but will from the dvd drive!!!
>
>Oh well thanks for trying.
>
>--
On your Adaptec card, when it's booting, as soon as you see the Adaptec banner,
hit control A to get into the SCSI bios. The SCSI bios is on the SCSI card not
in the motherboard bios. Make sure the options in the scsi bios are set to
load the scsi bios. Also make sure your SCSI card bios is set to boot from the
SCSI ID of the CDROM. Make sure the device (CCROM) is slated in the scsi bios
to be seen by bios scan.
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost