rack mount question

I have always thought a rack mount system would be a convienient way to
compute, good ventilation, and no need to open up the box to pop in another
goodie/

does anyone have opinions on this?

--
We are Many
Mark 5:9

    "legion" <many@one.body> wrote in message
    >I have always thought a rack mount system would be a convienient way to
    > compute, good ventilation, and no need to open up the box to pop in
    > another
    > goodie/
    >
    > does anyone have opinions on this?
    >
    > --
    > We are Many
    > Mark 5:9

    Great idea if you have the space. It would make the average PC larger than
    a small filing cabinet, though. -Dave

    legion wrote:

    > I have always thought a rack mount system would be a convienient way to
    > compute, good ventilation, and no need to open up the box to pop in another
    > goodie/

    Why would you think it has better ventilation?

    > does anyone have opinions on this?
    >
    > --
    > We are Many
    > Mark 5:9

    You're pretty much on the money. However, even easier is an external drive
    using either firewire or USB 2 for offsite backup.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message

    > "legion" <many@one.body> wrote in message
    >>I have always thought a rack mount system would be a convienient way to
    >> compute, good ventilation, and no need to open up the box to pop in
    >> another
    >> goodie/
    >>
    >> does anyone have opinions on this?
    >>
    >> --
    >> We are Many
    >> Mark 5:9
    >>

    > Great idea if you have the space. It would make the average PC larger
    > than a small filing cabinet, though. -Dave

    >> "legion" <many@one.body> wrote in message
    >>>I have always thought a rack mount system would be a convienient way to
    >>> compute, good ventilation, and no need to open up the box to pop in
    >>> another goodie/ does anyone have opinions on this?

    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    or
    jalter@phila.k12.pa.us
    You're pretty much on the money. However, even easier is an external drive
    using either firewire or USB 2 for offsite backup.
    --
    Jan Alter

    > "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
    >> Great idea if you have the space. It would make the average PC larger
    >> than a small filing cabinet, though. -Dave

    Legion:
    If I understand you correctly, you're thinking of equipping your desktop
    computer with removable hard drives (hopefully two hard drives) in mobile
    racks. Let me say at the outset that if you go that route, you'll have but
    one regret -- that your previous desktop computers weren't equipped in that
    fashion. The flexibility, convenience, and peace of mind two removable
    drives gives is enormous, and for most users the added cost of so equipping
    one's desktop computer in this fashion pale into insignificance. You'll
    never regret it.

    There are a number of advantages using this hardware configuratation but the
    most significant one is that it provides a near fail-safe backup system.
    Using a disk imaging program such as the Ghost program you can clone the
    contents of one hard drive to another easily, relatively quickly, and most
    important of all -- effectively.

    As you probably know, the hard drives are housed in so-called mobile racks
    that fit in the 5 1/4" bays of a desktop's computer case . The racks
    themselves
    are two-piece affairs with the HD residing in a removable tray that slides
    in and out of the rack. The beauty of this arrangement is that the drives
    can easily be accessed from outside the computer case. Note that these
    mobile racks are designed for desktop computers and not laptops/notebooks
    because of the latter's size/weight considerations.

    So by routinely cloning your day-to-day working hard drive to the second
    drive you have a virtual bit-for-bit copy of that working drive. And through
    the use of additional removable trays you're free to create additional
    clones on hard drives that you can easily remove from the premises for
    near-absolute security. Then again, you can use separate (limitless) hard
    drives for whatever purposes you desire -- different operating systems,
    graphics, one for the visiting grandchild, etc. And when the day comes that
    one or another of your hard drives goes kaput, it's a simple matter to
    replace that drive from the comfort of your computer chair without having to
    get inside your computer case.

    Assuming you have available two 5 1/4" bays in your computer case to house
    the mobile racks, it will not increase the size of your case one whit. You
    can, of course, consider configuring your system with a single removable HD
    that would be coupled with an internal drive. But if you have the available
    bays, I would urge you to consider having two removable drives. The enormous
    flexibility this arrangement gives you is a decided advantage, and as I said
    earlier, you will never regret it.

    Art

    > Why would you think it has better ventilation?

    No box the heat radiates harmlessly off into space

    You're pretty much on the money. However, even easier is an external drive
    using either firewire or USB 2 for offsite backup.

    --
    Jan Alter

    I was thinking today of just running a ide ribbon and spare pwr lead out
    (expansion slot) for a external hdd test

    legion wrote:

    >>Why would you think it has better ventilation?
    >>

    > No box the heat radiates harmlessly off into space

    Mounted in a space probe? hehe

    Well, you could leave the panels off a PC case, if that's the point, but
    airflow is still needed.

    Anyway, rack mount PCs are still in a case, usually. The rack just holds
    the rack mount cases.

    Depending on what the purpose for the rack is in the first place, cooling
    is often a bigger problem. For one, rack space is at a premium so short
    height boxes are the vogue (or horizontal stacks in higher cases) and that
    makes cooling more difficult (try putting a 120mm fan in a 1U 1.75 inch
    high case). Second, with all those nice compact cases you have tons of heat
    being produced, if you're making use of the rack space.

    > You're pretty much on the money. However, even easier is an external drive
    > using either firewire or USB 2 for offsite backup.
    >
    > --
    > Jan Alter
    >
    > I was thinking today of just running a ide ribbon and spare pwr lead out
    > (expansion slot) for a external hdd test

    I'm sorry
    when I said rack mount I ment instead of using a case at all just arrange
    the components on a series of shelves (often on a rack that could be rolled
    from place to place)
    i'm assuming if the enviroment were controlled there would be no need for
    extra cooling.

    Its just an Idea, so I wont need to worry about case restrictions, just to
    place the mobo on mounting surface, attatch psu and etc.

    In article <2u5erhF26ub47U1@uni-berlin.de>, Dave C. <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

    >"legion" <many@one.body> wrote in message
    >>I have always thought a rack mount system would be a convienient way to
    >> compute, good ventilation, and no need to open up the box to pop in
    >> another
    >> goodie/
    >>
    >> does anyone have opinions on this?

    >Great idea if you have the space. It would make the average PC larger than
    >a small filing cabinet, though. -Dave

    Last time I was at Fry's, I saw a rack mount case for an ATX mobo.

    --
    Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
    Eastern time zone. I speak for myself & my dogs only. VM'er since CP-67

Homebuilt Hardware Systems