Power Supply Diagnosis

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2004 6:12:16 PM

Here is my existing system:

Motherboard: Shuttle AN35N Ultra
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
RAM: 1 GB (across 3 modules)
CPU fan + 2 auxilary fans
2 IDE hard disk drives on primary IDE channel
floppy drive
DVD+RW on secondary IDE channel
PCI Firewire card
AGP graphics card - ATI Radeon 9600PRO (has its own fan)
Power Supply: Antec SmartPower SL450

If I try to add anything to this set up, like a DVD-ROM drive or a PCI IDE
controller card (or PCI video card), my system goes haywire. I have observed
the following when adding (one at a time) components.

1. PC doesn't power up at all
2. PC powers up, but onboard USB stops working
3. PC powers up, but auxilary fans aren't working
4. PC powers up, but (in a multiple) DVD drive set-up, the drives produce
burn errors (power calibration errors)

Removing the added component eliminates the related problem 100% of the
time, so I am left to assume that my power supply is inadequate. Does this
seem reasonable? I would think that 450w is good enough for what few things
are in my system, so I am confused and need validation that this is likely
the problem. I would like to stick with Antec power supplies, so in a case
where I need to replace, which model should I go for as the next step up?

I have indeed attached the 4-pin 12v connector from the mobo to the power
supply; which I think is for the sake of the AMD CPU.

More about : power supply diagnosis

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2004 6:22:31 PM

Oops! I have the SL350 Antec PS (350 watts, not 450 as I originally
mentioned).

"SmarSquid" <smarsquid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Here is my existing system:
>
> Motherboard: Shuttle AN35N Ultra
> CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
> RAM: 1 GB (across 3 modules)
> CPU fan + 2 auxilary fans
> 2 IDE hard disk drives on primary IDE channel
> floppy drive
> DVD+RW on secondary IDE channel
> PCI Firewire card
> AGP graphics card - ATI Radeon 9600PRO (has its own fan)
> Power Supply: Antec SmartPower SL450
>
> If I try to add anything to this set up, like a DVD-ROM drive or a PCI IDE
> controller card (or PCI video card), my system goes haywire. I have
> observed the following when adding (one at a time) components.
>
> 1. PC doesn't power up at all
> 2. PC powers up, but onboard USB stops working
> 3. PC powers up, but auxilary fans aren't working
> 4. PC powers up, but (in a multiple) DVD drive set-up, the drives produce
> burn errors (power calibration errors)
>
> Removing the added component eliminates the related problem 100% of the
> time, so I am left to assume that my power supply is inadequate. Does this
> seem reasonable? I would think that 450w is good enough for what few
> things are in my system, so I am confused and need validation that this is
> likely the problem. I would like to stick with Antec power supplies, so in
> a case where I need to replace, which model should I go for as the next
> step up?
>
> I have indeed attached the 4-pin 12v connector from the mobo to the power
> supply; which I think is for the sake of the AMD CPU.

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 26, 2004 10:31:26 PM

Most computers run just fine with a 250 watt supply. Too
many hype big watts rather than first learn why failure
happens. Is your power supply failing? It takes but a minute
to learn - and nothing removed from the system. Procedure is
described in two previous discussions. Perform the tests both
on startup AND with programs accessing multiple hardware
peripherals simultaneously: "Computer doesnt start at all"
in alt.comp.hardware on 10 Jan 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/2t69q and
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at http://www.tinyurl.com/2musa

SmarSquid wrote:
> Here is my existing system:
>
> Motherboard: Shuttle AN35N Ultra
> CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
> RAM: 1 GB (across 3 modules)
> CPU fan + 2 auxilary fans
> 2 IDE hard disk drives on primary IDE channel
> floppy drive
> DVD+RW on secondary IDE channel
> PCI Firewire card
> AGP graphics card - ATI Radeon 9600PRO (has its own fan)
> Power Supply: Antec SmartPower SL450
>
> If I try to add anything to this set up, like a DVD-ROM drive or
> a PCI IDE controller card (or PCI video card), my system goes
> haywire. I have observed the following when adding (one at a
> time) components.
>
> 1. PC doesn't power up at all
> 2. PC powers up, but onboard USB stops working
> 3. PC powers up, but auxilary fans aren't working
> 4. PC powers up, but (in a multiple) DVD drive set-up, the
> drives produce burn errors (power calibration errors)
>
> Removing the added component eliminates the related problem 100% of the
> time, so I am left to assume that my power supply is inadequate. Does this
> seem reasonable? I would think that 450w is good enough for what few things
> are in my system, so I am confused and need validation that this is likely
> the problem. I would like to stick with Antec power supplies, so in a case
> where I need to replace, which model should I go for as the next step up?
>
> I have indeed attached the 4-pin 12v connector from the mobo to the power
> supply; which I think is for the sake of the AMD CPU.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2004 1:19:36 AM

"SmarSquid" <smarsquid@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<wP6dnZr5e9ThMuPcRVn-qA@comcast.com>...

> Motherboard: Shuttle AN35N Ultra
> CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
> 2 IDE hard disk drives on primary IDE channel
> DVD+RW on secondary IDE channel
> AGP graphics card - ATI Radeon 9600PRO (has its own fan)
> Power Supply: Antec SmartPower SL450

> If I try to add anything to this set up, like a DVD-ROM drive or a PCI IDE
> controller card (or PCI video card), my system goes haywire.
>
> Removing the added component eliminates the related problem
> 100% of the time, so I am left to assume that my power supply
> is inadequate.
> I would think that 450w [SL350 Antec PS (350 watts, not 450] is good enough

You've proved that the power supply is inadequate, but a 350W Antec,
assuming it's in good condition, should be able to run all of that
equipment without strain. One possibility is that it's developed bad
electrolytic capacitors, especially if it was manufacturered roughly 2
years ago, when at least 6 Taiwan capacitor makers were scandalized
with using defective electrolyte (see:
www.nepatoday.com/cfforum/printthread.cfm?Forum=93&Topi...)
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b ) Power supply
October 27, 2004 1:55:58 AM

> Oops! I have the SL350 Antec PS (350 watts, not 450 as I originally
> mentioned).
>
> "SmarSquid" <smarsquid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Here is my existing system:
> >
> > Motherboard: Shuttle AN35N Ultra
> > CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+
> > RAM: 1 GB (across 3 modules)
> > CPU fan + 2 auxilary fans
> > 2 IDE hard disk drives on primary IDE channel
> > floppy drive
> > DVD+RW on secondary IDE channel
> > PCI Firewire card
> > AGP graphics card - ATI Radeon 9600PRO (has its own fan)
> > Power Supply: Antec SmartPower SL450
> >
> > If I try to add anything to this set up, like a DVD-ROM drive or a PCI
IDE
> > controller card (or PCI video card), my system goes haywire. I have
> > observed the following when adding (one at a time) components.
> >
> > 1. PC doesn't power up at all
> > 2. PC powers up, but onboard USB stops working
> > 3. PC powers up, but auxilary fans aren't working
> > 4. PC powers up, but (in a multiple) DVD drive set-up, the drives
produce
> > burn errors (power calibration errors)
> >
> > Removing the added component eliminates the related problem 100% of the
> > time, so I am left to assume that my power supply is inadequate. Does
this
> > seem reasonable? I would think that 450w is good enough for what few
> > things are in my system, so I am confused and need validation that this
is
> > likely the problem. I would like to stick with Antec power supplies, so
in
> > a case where I need to replace, which model should I go for as the next
> > step up?
> >
> > I have indeed attached the 4-pin 12v connector from the mobo to the
power
> > supply; which I think is for the sake of the AMD CPU.

Sound like PSU not up to scratch.
Mike.
!