Changing to Windows XP Pro.

I'm in the process of changing to winxp pro. and would
like to know if thats what I need. I'm recovering from
depression from contracting Parkinsons and losing
everything in my life for the past couple years.

I started out by rebuilding or building a computer which
was not easy. It's helped me ask questions which I've not
been very good at. So, there's the background.

My computer is modest. 2600 AMD on an A7N8X ASUS mb w/
512 ddr and 80gb hd. Two disk drives CDRW and DVD/CDRW
combo. Video & sound cards.

I have no $. Do I qualify for acdemic products to retrain
myself? And, what xp version is best for a home base bus?
I have priced some stuff thru Newegg and is there a even
lower price location that you might suggest? Any help or
referrals is appreciated.

Chuck
7 answers Last reply
More about changing windows

    I would characterize your hardware as far from "modest", but, instead, near
    the top of the AMD 32- vs. 64-bit world. The Asus A7N8X is superb and
    several versions exist. Read the fine print silkscreened onto the mainboard
    near the main logo. Read the Asus site for more info.
    If the one HD is SATA, more the better. Ditto, if the AMD cpu is a
    "Barton". Any new money should go for 256 or 512 MB of additional memory,
    if possible, for XP. Be sure to match the memory speed.
    Your next challenge is to obtain legally a copy of XP for installation.
    Perhaps someone owes you a favor ...

    Cf., www.anandtech.com
    www.tomshardware.com

    If you only expect to run a stand-alone, home system, then XP home is very
    adequate.
    Newegg.com is perhaps my preferred internet retailer, followed by
    Microcenter, Tigerdirect, and CompUSA.
    Amazon.com has many affiliated computer-related retailers, and
    www.pricewatch.com can be very useful to the knowledgeable purchaser.
    Other shopping bots exist.
    Post your more specific requests about your computer-related needs here for
    better suggestions.
    -------

    "XP ..., Do I Want It?

    XP Compatibility Checker
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Attn to dial-up users: ~ 32 - 50 MB !!

    Choosing XP version
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Upgrading
    http://www.microsoft.com/WINDOWSXP/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

    ----
    Top 10 Reasons for IT Pros to move to Windows XP Professional
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/itprotop10.asp

    Windows XP Professional Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/evaluation/whyupgrade/featurecomp.asp
    ----

    "Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows is dedicated to providing all of the
    information you need
    to evaluate Microsoft's upcoming Windows operating system technologies."
    http://www.winsupersite.com/

    WHICH WINDOWS DO I CHOOSE?
    http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm

    Upgrading to WINDOWS XP
    HOME EDITION or PROFESSIONAL
    Version 3.8 — Last Updated August 27, 2002
    by Gary Woodruff, MS-MVP
    © 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
    http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

    Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
    by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
    © 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
    http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

    How to Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;310064

    Troubleshooting Windows XP Setup
    -----

    Once you have installed XP, post any questions in the appropriate Microsoft
    XP ng, where any of hundreds of experts will quickly aid you in your new
    venture.
    And welcome back to us! Keep reading and posting with us, and I suspect you
    will not be easily depressed again.

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "ccmtmc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm in the process of changing to winxp pro. and would
    > like to know if thats what I need. I'm recovering from
    > depression from contracting Parkinsons and losing
    > everything in my life for the past couple years.
    >
    > I started out by rebuilding or building a computer which
    > was not easy. It's helped me ask questions which I've not
    > been very good at. So, there's the background.
    >
    > My computer is modest. 2600 AMD on an A7N8X ASUS mb w/
    > 512 ddr and 80gb hd. Two disk drives CDRW and DVD/CDRW
    > combo. Video & sound cards.
    >
    > I have no $. Do I qualify for academic products to retrain
    > myself? And, what xp version is best for a home base bus?
    > I have priced some stuff thru Newegg and is there a even
    > lower price location that you might suggest? Any help or
    > referrals is appreciated.
    >
    > Chuck

    Thaxs for your super response!!! I love it:)

    Here they come... Let''s start with 32- vs. 64-bit.
    (Simple, anologies, articles-- preferred and "not sure or
    have no idea" acceptable. I just need input-- no
    egotistical, ethereal brain pharts-- well on occasion when
    neccary and typo's and 'sp's" no big deal.) In other
    words, relaxed yet quality exchange of information that
    is healthy which includes clever and fun-- life is short
    and ment to be enjoyed. (I have caller ID and I just got
    a call from Lawrence Welk-- Timing is everything!

    Kingston DDR and I can do that. I will research the
    others. My son and I have this strange relationship. I
    started him out a four or five, maybe three 1/3?? but
    young on a Comador--sp, He has it a month or so and I come
    home and it's in pieces, all over the bedroom. $600....
    Now he is in Costa Rica somewhere with a chick from
    school, sends me a copy of xp pro w/o a disk--it came
    with, and the product key. He is a student and waiter in
    San Francisco going to sf state in Pol Sci. I try to
    borrow a disk--can't find one. Find #310994 get to "You
    must use CD to fin. and can't fiigure out how to do
    that. Then to wonder if it's even legal -- I''m trying
    to ffind a way to buyone. There will be more than one
    comp w/n nine mo or so. Park is getting me so got to go.
    Ill finish then-- I do not know how to save a reply. CM

    Shell/User / DTS
    >Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    >http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.a
    spx
    >Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    >------
    >"ccmtmc" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message
    >> I'm in the process of changing to winxp pro. and would
    >> like to know if thats what I need. I'm recovering from
    >> depression from contracting Parkinsons and losing
    >> everything in my life for the past couple years.
    >>
    >> I started out by rebuilding or building a computer which
    >> was not easy. It's helped me ask questions which I've
    not
    >> been very good at. So, there's the background.
    >>
    >> My computer is modest. 2600 AMD on an A7N8X ASUS mb w/
    >> 512 ddr and 80gb hd. Two disk drives CDRW and DVD/CDRW
    >> combo. Video & sound cards.
    >>
    >> I have no $. Do I qualify for academic products to
    retrain
    >> myself? And, what xp version is best for a home base
    bus?
    >> I have priced some stuff thru Newegg and is there a even
    >> lower price location that you might suggest? Any help
    or
    >> referrals is appreciated.
    >>
    >> Chuck
    >>

    >.

    I recommend putting your son's "disk" in a 4" X 6" frame, and then
    remembering how much you love him each day when you look at it.
    And then go out a buy a legal copy of XP Home, or let a friend "gift" you.
    Or any other "legal" solution.

    On further reflection, I have some additional suggestions for your somewhat
    unique situation:

    1) Consult an occupational therapist to advise you about the numerous tools
    and strategies to adapt to the computing environment in view of your medical
    condition.

    2) Evaluate whether Dragon System's Naturally Speaking voice recognition
    software will be useful to you. Even if you have dysarthria, this software
    may well be easily and quickly taught to recognize your speech and
    substantially aid your computing, esp., if keyboarding is an issue.
    http://www.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/

    Hope this helps, and best wishes in the new year,

    "Chuck Milburn themilburnco@charter.net"
    Thaxs for your super response!!! I love it:)

    Here they come... Let''s start with 32- vs. 64-bit.
    (Simple, anologies, articles-- preferred and "not sure or
    have no idea" acceptable. I just need input-- no
    egotistical, ethereal brain pharts-- well on occasion when
    neccary and typo's and 'sp's" no big deal.) In other
    words, relaxed yet quality exchange of information that
    is healthy which includes clever and fun-- life is short
    and ment to be enjoyed. (I have caller ID and I just got
    a call from Lawrence Welk-- Timing is everything!

    Kingston DDR and I can do that. I will research the
    others. My son and I have this strange relationship. I
    started him out a four or five, maybe three 1/3?? but
    young on a Comador--sp, He has it a month or so and I come
    home and it's in pieces, all over the bedroom. $600....
    Now he is in Costa Rica somewhere with a chick from
    school, sends me a copy of xp pro w/o a disk--it came
    with, and the product key. He is a student and waiter in
    San Francisco going to sf state in Pol Sci. I try to
    borrow a disk--can't find one. Find #310994 get to "You
    must use CD to fin. and can't fiigure out how to do
    that. Then to wonder if it's even legal -- I''m trying
    to ffind a way to buyone. There will be more than one
    comp w/n nine mo or so. Park is getting me so got to go.
    Ill finish then-- I do not know how to save a reply. CM

    <SNIP>

    Jack: That's where you came into the picture, minus the
    framing-- I will deliver the message personally, I hope.

    I have dragon already connected to Word Perfect 2000.
    Moderate results prior to now. Do you know what they say
    about a man w/ two watches? That's my process. But, I
    need someone to start this scotter in the right
    direction. Up for the shove-- might be a difficult one!?

    Very busy now, but will be back with you probably
    Saturday. In the meantime, are the academic rules
    applicable to me or are they a vail, gossamer abeit, for
    the taking and inforced by the propritors?

    "If you accept this assignment", should we go email? "No
    improprities, please!" I just appreciate the input and
    want to be on the up-and-up.

    Thanx-- Chuck

    I am happy to hear that you already have Dragon Narurally Speaking
    installed, and hope it is a recent version. You must spend some time
    training it to your personal speech for the best results.
    Re: any "academic rules", each vendor will have such rules for purchases,
    and that is the place to begin researching. OTH, earlier versions of any
    software are often available dirt cheap at numerous internet vendors., such
    as the affiliated Amazon.com partners.

    http://www.eastoutlet.com/Scripts/default.asp
    http://store.yahoo.com/geminicomputersinc/index.html

    And let's keep our conversation here so others may benefit.

    "Chuck Milburn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Jack: That's where you came into the picture, minus the
    > framing-- I will deliver the message personally, I hope.
    >
    > I have dragon already connected to Word Perfect 2000.
    > Moderate results prior to now. Do you know what they say
    > about a man w/ two watches? That's my process. But, I
    > need someone to start this scotter in the right
    > direction. Up for the shove-- might be a difficult one!?
    >
    > Very busy now, but will be back with you probably
    > Saturday. In the meantime, are the academic rules
    > applicable to me or are they a vail, gossamer abeit, for
    > the taking and inforced by the propritors?
    >
    > "If you accept this assignment", should we go email? "No
    > improprities, please!" I just appreciate the input and
    > want to be on the up-and-up.
    >
    > Thanx-- Chuck

    I meant to write Dragon Naturally Speaking ...

    > I am happy to hear that you already have Dragon Narurally Speaking
    > installed, and hope it is a recent version. You must spend some time
    > training it to your personal speech for the best results.

    <SNIP>

    Naturally!
    :)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    >I meant to write Dragon Naturally Speaking ...
    > http://www.scansoft.com/naturallyspeaking/

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    >> I am happy to hear that you already have Dragon Narurally Speaking
    >> installed, and hope it is a recent version. You must spend some time
    >> training it to your personal speech for the best results.
    >
    > <SNIP>

Windows