Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.

You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
goes with you operating system.

Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.

Greg R
43 answers Last reply
More about security update expires files backed
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Greg why are you telling us this in Win2000? Are you sayuing that we can expect the Windows 2000
    Security Update CD-ROMs for Windows 2000 can expire? And what exactly does that mean? The files
    for installation on those CD-ROMs as far as I know have nothing to do with expiration. They are just hotfix
    installers and I've never heard of hotfix installers expiring. Heard of hotfix passwords expiring but never the
    installation files themselves.

    --
    George Hester
    _________________________________
    "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vj6qu05k9r4e6a96u61orabskskbegvt68@4ax.com...
    > Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    > I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
    >

    > You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
    > goes with you operating system.
    >

    > Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.
    >

    > Greg R

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Idiot only the free AV 1 year trial expires

    --
    Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
    spybot http://security.kolla.de

    Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
    _

    "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    > I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
    >

    > You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
    > goes with you operating system.
    >

    > Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.
    >

    > Greg R

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    > I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.

    Horse hockey.

    > You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
    > goes with you operating system.

    When you run the CD, the files your machine needs, whatever the OS, are
    identified and offered for installation.

    > Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.

    What's that got to do with this topic?
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:25:21 -0400, "AlmostBob"
    <anonymous1@microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Idiot only the free AV 1 year trial expires
    See the screenshot shot at

    http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html

    Sorry about the way it appears. This is do to limited graphics size
    for free accounts.

    This page will be removed.

    Greg R
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    AlmostBob wrote:

    have a look here about length of sigs:
    http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/signatur.html

    Yours is FAR too long.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in news:#OAVZdb$EHA.600
    @TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

    > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    >> I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
    >
    > Horse hockey.
    >
    >> You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
    >> goes with you operating system.
    >
    > When you run the CD, the files your machine needs, whatever the OS, are
    > identified and offered for installation.
    >
    >> Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.
    >
    > What's that got to do with this topic?

    Look at all the groups he crossposted to.... :-(
    XP being one of them...

    --
    -- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy. --

    As per control.htm:
    "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
    microsoft.com/protect"
    I did not connect and got the expired message..
    --
    mae

    "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    | I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.

    | You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
    what
    | goes with you operating system.
    |
    || Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp
    sp2.

    | Greg R

    Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    > As per control.htm:
    > "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
    > microsoft.com/protect"
    > I did not connect and got the expired message..
    > --
    > mae
    >

    > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > | Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    > | I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
    >
    > | You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
    > what
    > | goes with you operating system.
    > |
    > || Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp
    > sp2.
    > |
    > | Greg R

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Greg R wrote:
    > On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:25:21 -0400, "AlmostBob"
    > <anonymous1@microsoft.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Idiot only the free AV 1 year trial expires
    >
    > See the screenshot shot at
    >
    > http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html
    >

    > Sorry about the way it appears. This is do to limited graphics size
    > for free accounts.
    >

    > This page will be removed.
    >

    > Greg R

    If you're thinking,
    "almost bob, *you're* the idiot with the enormous signature",
    you would be right.

    Big of you to not say that though.

    MM

    Gary, this puzzles me. I used the security cd on new year's day (2005) when
    I was clean installing my system on my 98SE side and then XP side and I used
    the security cd on the 98SE side but I never got that message. What do you
    think are the reason(s) for other users getting this message?

    : Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
    :
    : --
    : Gary S. Terhune
    : MS MVP Shell/User
    :
    : "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    : news:u92Eh5d$EHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > As per control.htm:
    : > "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
    : > microsoft.com/protect"
    : > I did not connect and got the expired message..
    : > --
    : > mae
    : >
    : >
    : > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : > news:vj6qu05k9r4e6a96u61orabskskbegvt68@4ax.com...
    : > | Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    : > | I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
    : >
    : > | You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
    : > what
    : > | goes with you operating system.
    : > |

    Gary S. Terhune wrote:
    > Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?

    One way, maybe...

    Copy the control.htm to a local drive, edit it as needed.
    Make an ISO-image of CD on hard drive, use an ISO-image editing tool to
    replace the control.htm in the image, burn the image to a CD.

    Just thinking aloud...

    MM

    Dan wrote:
    > Gary, this puzzles me. I used the security cd on new year's day (2005) when
    > I was clean installing my system on my 98SE side and then XP side and I used
    > the security cd on the 98SE side but I never got that message. What do you
    > think are the reason(s) for other users getting this message?

    Hi Dan,

    The javascript in the control.htm is sniffing for OS, browser version,
    cpu and takes action based on what it finds. The script is set to look
    for that October 2004 date and displays the message for XP systems if it
    is past that date. Changing the date the javascript is looking for to
    say, 2112, would bypass that.

    I'm guessing you're on a dual boot system, so that may be confusing(if
    you will) the script. Might even be dependent on how you have the dual
    boot set up. Not worth digging that deep into it, as for XP systems SP2
    is out and coupled with my other post, you could get around it, if you
    so desire.

    MM

    Thanks MM. I used the security cd on the 98SE side but I did get the message
    to not use it on the XP Pro. side so I did not use it with the XP Pro. side.
    That clears it up for me. :>

    Dan wrote:
    > Thanks MM. I used the security cd on the 98SE side but I did get the message
    > to not use it on the XP Pro. side so I did not use it with the XP Pro. side.
    > That clears it up for me. :>

    Ahh, ok. So you *did* get the message when you used it on XP. I misread
    what you said, ignore my thoughts on dual-boot coming into play somehow.

    But at least you know how to hack it now.

    MM

    True, :>!

    : Dan wrote:
    : > Thanks MM. I used the security cd on the 98SE side but I did get the
    message
    : > to not use it on the XP Pro. side so I did not use it with the XP Pro.
    side.
    : > That clears it up for me. :>
    : >
    :
    : Ahh, ok. So you *did* get the message when you used it on XP. I misread
    : what you said, ignore my thoughts on dual-boot coming into play somehow.
    :
    : But at least you know how to hack it now.
    :
    : MM

    > Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?

    Try this for laughs......

    "The updates on this CD are for Microsoft® Windows® 98,
    Windows Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP operating systems,
    and do not apply to your computer.

    You may be running an earlier version of Windows."

    Or this.....

    "This CD is intended for computers running
    Microsoft Windows® 2000 or Windows XP.

    You may be running an earlier version of Windows."

    or the now infamous....

    "The content on this page has expired
    Please visit microsoft.com/protect
    to get the latest updates for your operating system."

    All on the same CD.

    The detailed explanation for this methodolgy,
    which I am SURE Microsoft has provided,
    has as yet eluded me........

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:53:34 -0600, "Mostly Me (MM)"
    <fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote:

    >Dan wrote:
    >> Gary, this puzzles me. I used the security cd on new year's day (2005) when
    >> I was clean installing my system on my 98SE side and then XP side and I used
    >> the security cd on the 98SE side but I never got that message. What do you
    >> think are the reason(s) for other users getting this message?
    >>

    >Hi Dan,
    >
    >The javascript in the control.htm is sniffing for OS, browser version,
    >cpu and takes action based on what it finds. The script is set to look
    >for that October 2004 date and displays the message for XP systems if it
    >is past that date. Changing the date the javascript is looking for to
    >say, 2112, would bypass that.
    >
    >I'm guessing you're on a dual boot system, so that may be confusing(if
    >you will) the script. Might even be dependent on how you have the dual
    >boot set up. Not worth digging that deep into it, as for XP systems SP2
    >is out and coupled with my other post, you could get around it, if you
    >so desire.
    >
    >MM

    Thank You MM for the tip.

    Greg R

    Greg R wrote:

    > Thank You MM for the tip.
    >

    > Greg R

    No problem. Short term you can try turning your system date back to
    Sept. 30, 2004 or prior. (Though it seems when I was changing years
    around on a different system some time ago, it confused a program which
    I ended up uninstalling and then reinstalling.) The other way gives you
    a permanent change on a CD.

    MM

    I'm going to have to leave it to others to figure out any tweaks. I
    didn't like the way they did this CD when it came out, I like it even
    less now, and I'm too tired to care. A good idea that was poorly
    executed.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    "Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

    > > Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
    >
    > Try this for laughs......
    >
    > "The updates on this CD are for Microsoft® Windows® 98,
    > Windows Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP operating systems,
    > and do not apply to your computer.
    >
    > You may be running an earlier version of Windows."
    >
    > Or this.....
    >
    > "This CD is intended for computers running
    > Microsoft Windows® 2000 or Windows XP.
    >
    > You may be running an earlier version of Windows."
    >
    > or the now infamous....
    >
    > "The content on this page has expired
    > Please visit microsoft.com/protect
    > to get the latest updates for your operating system."
    >
    > All on the same CD.
    >
    > The detailed explanation for this methodolgy,
    > which I am SURE Microsoft has provided,
    > has as yet eluded me........

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I nominate Gary S. Terhune to oversee and run the next Microsoft Windows
    Security CD. <eg>

    : > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
[...]
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:42:13 -0500, PA Bear wrote:

    > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    >> I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
    >
    > Horse hockey.
    >
    >> You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
    >> goes with you operating system.
    >
    > When you run the CD, the files your machine needs, whatever the OS, are
    > identified and offered for installation.
    >
    >> Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.
    >
    > What's that got to do with this topic?

    Mine told me the same thing, Thats just the control front
    page. You can still navigate the CD under explorer. Also
    disable autoplay before running, and install the updates
    from Run.
    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

    Just like when installing from Windows Updates, you should turn everything
    off save Windows Explorer.

    Several of these are known to cause these and other problems (e.g.,
    unsupported version of IE error messages):

    1) Zone Alarm Pro [Private Header Info - enabled?] Reset "Ad Blocking" and
    "Cookie Control" to "medium" "Mobile Code Control" = Off

    2) Symantec (ISS\NIS) [Enable Browser Privacy - enabled] Active Content -
    "Allow All Scripts To Execute" Problem: some sites cannot detect the 128 bit
    encryption Solution: Completely remove and reinstall NIS.

    3) Any "ad blocking" software that blocks "http_referer" or contains entries
    that are blocking access to the desired site.

    4) HOSTS file that contains entries that are blocking access to the desired
    site.

    5) Cookie blocking software that are blocking "required" Cookies.

    6) Pop-up blockers that are stripping header\url info.

    7) WebWasher Standard Filter/URL Filter

    8) Make sure the following entry is not corrupt:

    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    Settings] "User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

    Note: "Win32" = Windows 98\ME Other versions = (compatible; MSIE 6.0;
    Windows NT 5.0;)

    (Courtesy of MVP Mike Burgess)
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >> Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
    >
    > Try this for laughs......
    >
    > "The updates on this CD are for Microsoft® Windows® 98,
    > Windows Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP operating systems,
    > and do not apply to your computer.
    >
    > You may be running an earlier version of Windows."
    >
    > Or this.....
    >
    > "This CD is intended for computers running
    > Microsoft Windows® 2000 or Windows XP.
    >
    > You may be running an earlier version of Windows."
    >
    > or the now infamous....
    >
    > "The content on this page has expired
    > Please visit microsoft.com/protect
    > to get the latest updates for your operating system."
    >
    > All on the same CD.
    >
    > The detailed explanation for this methodolgy,
    > which I am SURE Microsoft has provided,
    > has as yet eluded me........
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I'm not having a problem. I was just commenting on the variety
    of contradictory message pages included on the CD.

    > Just like when installing from Windows Updates, you should turn everything
    > off save Windows Explorer.

    Only if you are not using the online update method.

    > Several of these are known to cause these and other problems (e.g.,
    > unsupported version of IE error messages):

    Sorry. Not trying to be argumentative,
    but I really don't see how your post applies to mine.

    I just don't see the connection, but, as always,
    I appreciate the gesture.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Hugh Candlin wrote:
    >> Just like when installing from Windows Updates, you should turn
    >> everything
    >> off save Windows Explorer.
    >
    > Only if you are not using the online update method.

    Versus...?
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Just providing a hint for Greg. I could think of several. :)
    --
    mae

    | Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
    |
    | --
    | Gary S. Terhune
    | MS MVP Shell/User
    |
    | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    | > As per control.htm:
    | > "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
    | > microsoft.com/protect"
    | > I did not connect and got the expired message..
    | > --
    | > mae
    | >

    | > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    | > | Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    | > | I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
    | >
    | > | You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
    | > what
    | > | goes with you operating system.
    | > |
    | > sp2.
    | > |
    | > | Greg R
    | > |

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    I *did* have my tongue in cheek, just a bit.

    However, not having a 98 system handy that I can muck up, I can't get
    into the guts to test, and rewrite to HTM and HTA (not to mention js
    files.) Besides, I just don't have the time right now.

    --

    > Just providing a hint for Greg. I could think of several. :)
    > --
    > mae

    > | Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
    > |
    > | --
    > | Gary S. Terhune
    > | MS MVP Shell/User
    > |
    > | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    > | > As per control.htm:
    > | > "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
    > | > microsoft.com/protect"
    > | > I did not connect and got the expired message..
    > | > --
    > | > mae
    > | >

    > | > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > | > what
    > | > |
    > xp
    > | > sp2.
    > | > |
    > | > |

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Of course, actually reprogramming the things might not make MS happy,
    especially if anyone posted the copy. However, Glen reminded me of the
    obvious solution--set back the computer's date. (I told you I was
    swamped--took a serious WHACK! with the cluestick!

    To use the Windows Security Updates CD, first apply my "Clean Boot"
    procedures, or whatever variations are appropriate to other versions of
    Windows, then set your date to the middle of 2004, *temporarily*. It
    would be *very* wise to make sure no background programs are present,
    and to correct the date *before* re-establishing normal configurations.

    --
    Gary S. Terhune
    MS MVP Shell/User

    > I *did* have my tongue in cheek, just a bit.
    >
    > However, not having a 98 system handy that I can muck up, I can't get
    > into the guts to test, and rewrite to HTM and HTA (not to mention js
    > files.) Besides, I just don't have the time right now.
    >
    > --
    > Gary S. Terhune
    > MS MVP Shell/User
    >
    > "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    > > Just providing a hint for Greg. I could think of several. :)
    > > --
    > > mae
    > >
    > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > | Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
    > > |
    > > | --
    > > | Gary S. Terhune
    > > | MS MVP Shell/User
    > > |
    > > | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message

    > > | > |
    > > xp
    > > | > |
    > > | > |

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    Gary, the security cd works fine in 98SE without changing anything because I
    installed it on New Year's 2005; it is only in XP that you must change the
    clock.

[...]
    : > > --
    : > > mae
    : > >
    : > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
    : > > news:uUuUocf$EHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    : > > | Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
    : > > |
    : > > | --
    : > > | Gary S. Terhune
    : > > | MS MVP Shell/User
    : > > |
    : > > | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
    : > > | news:u92Eh5d$EHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    : > > | > As per control.htm:
    : > > | > "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
    : > > | > microsoft.com/protect"
    : > > | > I did not connect and got the expired message..
    : > > | > --
    : > > | > mae
    : > > | >
    : > > | >
    : > > | > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : > > | > news:vj6qu05k9r4e6a96u61orabskskbegvt68@4ax.com...
    : > > | > | Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
    : > > | > | I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
    : > > | >
    : > > | > | You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
    : > > | > what
    : > > | > | goes with you operating system.
    : > > | > |
    : > > | > || Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run
    : > > xp
    : > > | > sp2.
    : > > | > |
    : > > | > | Greg R
    : > > | > |
    : > > | >
    : > > |
    : > >
    : >
    :
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:57:27 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >I *did* have my tongue in cheek, just a bit.
    >
    >However, not having a 98 system handy that I can muck up, I can't get
    >into the guts to test, and rewrite to HTM and HTA (not to mention js
    >files.) Besides, I just don't have the time right now.

    I did just change the Control.htm year. Have not tried installing it.
    I did insert the cd. It did say install on the next page.

    Greg R
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion (More info?)

    On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:28:21 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
    <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

    >Of course, actually reprogramming the things might not make MS happy,
    >especially if anyone posted the copy. However, Glen reminded me of the
    >obvious solution--set back the computer's date. (I told you I was
    >swamped--took a serious WHACK! with the cluestick!
    >
    >To use the Windows Security Updates CD, first apply my "Clean Boot"
    >procedures, or whatever variations are appropriate to other versions of
    >Windows, then set your date to the middle of 2004, *temporarily*. It
    >would be *very* wise to make sure no background programs are present,
    >and to correct the date *before* re-establishing normal configurations.

    Actual I think you can get away with changing the date in the html
    file. The reason is it not in the eula. plus, Microsoft never said
    the cd would expire in the eula.

    Greg R
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > If you're thinking,
    > "almost bob, *you're* the idiot with the enormous signature",
    > you would be right.
    >
    > Big of you to not say that though.

    But hysterical to post it to the Win ME group where I'm reading this just
    today having clean installed ME then used the Security Update CD with no
    problem whatsoever. Personally I do not believe the CD was programmed to
    *expire* in W2k and/or XP but not 9x. If he had a beta, eg RC1 then, yes, it
    probably would expire and in 9x too.

    Shane
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Shane, you are correct. The Windows Security CD expires in the NT code (2000
    and XP) but not the 9x (98, 98SE and ME) code. That is what I have been
    trying to tell people but it does not seem to click for them.

    "Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
    : > If you're thinking,
    : > "almost bob, *you're* the idiot with the enormous signature",
    : > you would be right.
    : >
    : > Big of you to not say that though.
    : >
    :
    : But hysterical to post it to the Win ME group where I'm reading this just
    : today having clean installed ME then used the Security Update CD with no
    : problem whatsoever. Personally I do not believe the CD was programmed to
    : *expire* in W2k and/or XP but not 9x. If he had a beta, eg RC1 then, yes,
    it
    : probably would expire and in 9x too.
    :
    :
    : Shane
    :
    :
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:10:13 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >Shane, you are correct. The Windows Security CD expires in the NT code (2000
    >and XP) but not the 9x (98, 98SE and ME) code. That is what I have been
    >trying to tell people but it does not seem to click for them.
    >
    >"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

    Obviously, you didn’t read the thread carefully. (Also, look in the
    windows 98 general group and read some other post). You did not take
    a look at my webpage

    http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html

    This error appeared when I was doing a clean install of 98se.
    So quit

    For those that seem to work without getting that error. Must mean
    that your computer bios won’t let software read your system date and
    time.

    As far as windows me. and 2000. I have not tested it on.

    There is a tweak that MM posted in the 98se thread.

    Greg R
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Corrected Post

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:10:13 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >Shane, you are correct. The Windows Security CD expires in the NT code (2000
    >and XP) but not the 9x (98, 98SE and ME) code. That is what I have been
    >trying to tell people but it does not seem to click for them.
    >
    >"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

    Obviously, you didn’t read the thread carefully. (Also, look in the
    windows 98 general group and read some other post). You did not take
    a look at my webpage

    http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html

    This error appeared when I was doing a clean install of 98se.
    So quit

    For those that seem to work without getting that error. Must mean
    that your computer bios won’t let software read your system date and
    time.

    As far as windows me. and 2000. I have not tested it on.

    There is a tweak that MM posted in the 98se thread.

    Greg R
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Re-Corrected Post

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:10:13 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

    >Shane, you are correct. The Windows Security CD expires in the NT code (2000
    >and XP) but not the 9x (98, 98SE and ME) code. That is what I have been
    >trying to tell people but it does not seem to click for them.
    >
    >"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

    Obviously, you didn’t read the thread carefully. (Also, look in the
    windows 98 general group and read some other post). You did not take
    a look at my webpage

    http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html

    This error appeared when I was doing a clean install of 98se.

    For those that seem to work without getting that error. Must mean
    that your computer bios won’t let software read your system date and
    time.

    As far as windows me, 2000 and xp. I have not tested it on.

    There is a tweak that MM posted in the 98 thread.

    look in the cd:\content\control.htm

    Using notepad and you will see the date check as well.

    Greg R
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Greg, why do you keep recorrecting your post? Are you spamming the
    newsgroups?

    "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    : Re-Corrected Post
    :
[...]
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Why would I look in a 98 ng when you posted to the ME one I'm reading? I'd
    have to be crazy.

    The expired part is the Security Advisor - which makes perfect sense. The
    update itself runs, just not via the .hta.

    Shane
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:02:59 -0000, "Shane"
    <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Why would I look in a 98 ng when you posted to the ME one I'm reading? I'd
    >have to be crazy.
    >
    >The expired part is the Security Advisor - which makes perfect sense. The
    >update itself runs, just not via the .hta.
    >

    >Shane

    First, I never said the whole cd expires. I even added that you can
    manual install the updates.

    I am not just posting to the ME group.

    I did what called a multi-group posting. I think people should be
    aware that on some systems that the control.htm will expire.

    I will tell you what MM and others have said. All you would have to
    do is change the date in control.htm file. Copy the files to the hard
    drive. Edit the control.htm file using notepad. Change the year to
    2012 or later. Burn it on another cd. Now it will auto install the
    files you need.

    Greg R
  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:02:59 -0000, "Shane"
    > <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Why would I look in a 98 ng when you posted to the ME one I'm reading?
    I'd
    > >have to be crazy.
    > >
    > >The expired part is the Security Advisor - which makes perfect sense. The
    > >update itself runs, just not via the .hta.
    > >

    > >Shane
    > >

    > First, I never said the whole cd expires. I even added that you can
    > manual install the updates.
    >
    > I am not just posting to the ME group.
    >
    > I did what called a multi-group posting. I think people should be
    > aware that on some systems that the control.htm will expire.

    I can't be bothered, Greg. Since you appeared here claiming someone was
    accusing you of being Greg H. it's been one long escapade on the borderline
    of sanity.

    Shane
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Shane,
    You got the wrong Greg shane. I am Greg R not the other Greg he has
    been long gone. Make yourself look like an idiot.

    Dan,
    I was doing a correction and made a couple of mistakes. I notice
    another mistake in the correction. I cancelled those post.
    I was not spamming. I will just leave my mistake in now.

    Greg R
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Okay, thanks.

    : Shane,
    : You got the wrong Greg shane. I am Greg R not the other Greg he has
    : been long gone. Make yourself look like an idiot.
    :
    : Dan,
    : I was doing a correction and made a couple of mistakes. I notice
    : another mistake in the correction. I cancelled those post.
    : I was not spamming. I will just leave my mistake in now.
    :
    : Greg R
    :
    :
  42. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I know I'm perpetuating it but is all this crossposting necessary, guys?
    --
    ~PA Bear
  43. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > I know I'm perpetuating it but is all this crossposting necessary, guys?
    > --
    > ~PA Bear

    The updates on the CD are for Microsoft®

    Windows® 98
    Windows Me
    Windows 2000 and
    Windows XP operating systems.

    It is posted to the groups that a discussion
    about the CD would seem to be relevant to

    microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
    microsoft.public.windowsme.general
    microsoft.public.win2000.general
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

    Who do you want to drop? And why?

    What is the problem with occasional communication
    with users of other operating Systems about a common issue?

CD-Rom Security Microsoft Windows XP Windows