Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
a b 8 Security
January 18, 2005 12:31:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.

You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
goes with you operating system.

Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.

Greg R
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 18, 2005 1:39:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Greg why are you telling us this in Win2000? Are you sayuing that we can expect the Windows 2000
Security Update CD-ROMs for Windows 2000 can expire? And what exactly does that mean? The files
for installation on those CD-ROMs as far as I know have nothing to do with expiration. They are just hotfix
installers and I've never heard of hotfix installers expiring. Heard of hotfix passwords expiring but never the
installation files themselves.

--
George Hester
_________________________________
"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:vj6qu05k9r4e6a96u61orabskskbegvt68@4ax.com...
> Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
> I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
>

> You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
> goes with you operating system.
>

> Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.
>

> Greg R

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 18, 2005 6:25:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Idiot only the free AV 1 year trial expires

--
Adaware http://www.lavasoft.de
spybot http://security.kolla.de

Grateful thanks to the authors/webmasters
_

"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
> I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
>

> You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
> goes with you operating system.
>

> Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.
>

> Greg R

a b 8 Security
January 18, 2005 9:42:13 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
> I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.

Horse hockey.

> You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
> goes with you operating system.

When you run the CD, the files your machine needs, whatever the OS, are
identified and offered for installation.

> Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.

What's that got to do with this topic?
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:25:21 -0400, "AlmostBob"
<anonymous1@microsoft.com> wrote:

>Idiot only the free AV 1 year trial expires
See the screenshot shot at

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html

Sorry about the way it appears. This is do to limited graphics size
for free accounts.

This page will be removed.

Greg R
January 19, 2005 12:17:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

AlmostBob wrote:

have a look here about length of sigs:
http://www.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/signatur.html

Yours is FAR too long.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 12:48:36 AM

"PA Bear" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in news:#OAVZdb$EHA.600
@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl:

> "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
>> I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
>
> Horse hockey.
>
>> You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
>> goes with you operating system.
>
> When you run the CD, the files your machine needs, whatever the OS, are
> identified and offered for installation.
>
>> Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.
>
> What's that got to do with this topic?

Look at all the groups he crossposted to.... :-(
XP being one of them...

--
-- Puritanism: the haunting fear that someone somewhere may be happy. --
Anonymous

As per control.htm:
"check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
microsoft.com/protect"
I did not connect and got the expired message..
--
mae

"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
| I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.

| You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
what
| goes with you operating system.
|
|| Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp
sp2.

| Greg R

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 2:19:41 AM

Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> As per control.htm:
> "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
> microsoft.com/protect"
> I did not connect and got the expired message..
> --
> mae
>

> "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> | Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
> | I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
>
> | You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
> what
> | goes with you operating system.
> |
> || Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp
> sp2.
> |
> | Greg R

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 9:12:37 AM

Greg R wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 15:25:21 -0400, "AlmostBob"
> <anonymous1@microsoft.com> wrote:
>

>>Idiot only the free AV 1 year trial expires
>
> See the screenshot shot at
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html
>

> Sorry about the way it appears. This is do to limited graphics size
> for free accounts.
>

> This page will be removed.
>

> Greg R

If you're thinking,
"almost bob, *you're* the idiot with the enormous signature",
you would be right.

Big of you to not say that though.

MM
January 19, 2005 9:29:13 AM

Gary, this puzzles me. I used the security cd on new year's day (2005) when
I was clean installing my system on my 98SE side and then XP side and I used
the security cd on the 98SE side but I never got that message. What do you
think are the reason(s) for other users getting this message?

: Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
:
: --
: Gary S. Terhune
: MS MVP Shell/User
:
: "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
: news:u92Eh5d$EHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > As per control.htm:
: > "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
: > microsoft.com/protect"
: > I did not connect and got the expired message..
: > --
: > mae
: >
: >
: > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
: > news:vj6qu05k9r4e6a96u61orabskskbegvt68@4ax.com...
: > | Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
: > | I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
: >
: > | You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
: > what
: > | goes with you operating system.
: > |
: > || Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp
: > sp2.
: > |
: > | Greg R
: > |
: >
:
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 10:09:21 AM

Gary S. Terhune wrote:
> Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?

One way, maybe...

Copy the control.htm to a local drive, edit it as needed.
Make an ISO-image of CD on hard drive, use an ISO-image editing tool to
replace the control.htm in the image, burn the image to a CD.

Just thinking aloud...

MM
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 11:53:34 AM

Dan wrote:
> Gary, this puzzles me. I used the security cd on new year's day (2005) when
> I was clean installing my system on my 98SE side and then XP side and I used
> the security cd on the 98SE side but I never got that message. What do you
> think are the reason(s) for other users getting this message?

Hi Dan,

The javascript in the control.htm is sniffing for OS, browser version,
cpu and takes action based on what it finds. The script is set to look
for that October 2004 date and displays the message for XP systems if it
is past that date. Changing the date the javascript is looking for to
say, 2112, would bypass that.

I'm guessing you're on a dual boot system, so that may be confusing(if
you will) the script. Might even be dependent on how you have the dual
boot set up. Not worth digging that deep into it, as for XP systems SP2
is out and coupled with my other post, you could get around it, if you
so desire.

MM
January 19, 2005 11:53:35 AM

Thanks MM. I used the security cd on the 98SE side but I did get the message
to not use it on the XP Pro. side so I did not use it with the XP Pro. side.
That clears it up for me. :>

"Mostly Me (MM)" <fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote in message
: Dan wrote:
[...]
January 19, 2005 12:48:29 PM

Dan wrote:
> Thanks MM. I used the security cd on the 98SE side but I did get the message
> to not use it on the XP Pro. side so I did not use it with the XP Pro. side.
> That clears it up for me. :>

Ahh, ok. So you *did* get the message when you used it on XP. I misread
what you said, ignore my thoughts on dual-boot coming into play somehow.

But at least you know how to hack it now.

MM
January 19, 2005 12:48:30 PM

True, :>!

: Dan wrote:
: > Thanks MM. I used the security cd on the 98SE side but I did get the
message
: > to not use it on the XP Pro. side so I did not use it with the XP Pro.
side.
: > That clears it up for me. :>
: >
:
: Ahh, ok. So you *did* get the message when you used it on XP. I misread
: what you said, ignore my thoughts on dual-boot coming into play somehow.
:
: But at least you know how to hack it now.
:
: MM
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 1:21:43 PM

> Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?

Try this for laughs......

"The updates on this CD are for Microsoft® Windows® 98,
Windows Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP operating systems,
and do not apply to your computer.

You may be running an earlier version of Windows."

Or this.....

"This CD is intended for computers running
Microsoft Windows® 2000 or Windows XP.

You may be running an earlier version of Windows."

or the now infamous....

"The content on this page has expired
Please visit microsoft.com/protect
to get the latest updates for your operating system."

All on the same CD.

The detailed explanation for this methodolgy,
which I am SURE Microsoft has provided,
has as yet eluded me........
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 2:22:36 PM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 08:53:34 -0600, "Mostly Me (MM)"
<fakename@fakeisp.org> wrote:

>Dan wrote:
>> Gary, this puzzles me. I used the security cd on new year's day (2005) when
>> I was clean installing my system on my 98SE side and then XP side and I used
>> the security cd on the 98SE side but I never got that message. What do you
>> think are the reason(s) for other users getting this message?
>>

>Hi Dan,
>
>The javascript in the control.htm is sniffing for OS, browser version,
>cpu and takes action based on what it finds. The script is set to look
>for that October 2004 date and displays the message for XP systems if it
>is past that date. Changing the date the javascript is looking for to
>say, 2112, would bypass that.
>
>I'm guessing you're on a dual boot system, so that may be confusing(if
>you will) the script. Might even be dependent on how you have the dual
>boot set up. Not worth digging that deep into it, as for XP systems SP2
>is out and coupled with my other post, you could get around it, if you
>so desire.
>
>MM

Thank You MM for the tip.

Greg R
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 3:01:20 PM

Greg R wrote:

> Thank You MM for the tip.
>

> Greg R

No problem. Short term you can try turning your system date back to
Sept. 30, 2004 or prior. (Though it seems when I was changing years
around on a different system some time ago, it confused a program which
I ended up uninstalling and then reinstalling.) The other way gives you
a permanent change on a CD.

MM
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 3:27:36 PM

I'm going to have to leave it to others to figure out any tweaks. I
didn't like the way they did this CD when it came out, I like it even
less now, and I'm too tired to care. A good idea that was poorly
executed.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

"Hugh Candlin" <No@MeansNo.Com> wrote in message

> > Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
>
> Try this for laughs......
>
> "The updates on this CD are for Microsoft® Windows® 98,
> Windows Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP operating systems,
> and do not apply to your computer.
>
> You may be running an earlier version of Windows."
>
> Or this.....
>
> "This CD is intended for computers running
> Microsoft Windows® 2000 or Windows XP.
>
> You may be running an earlier version of Windows."
>
> or the now infamous....
>
> "The content on this page has expired
> Please visit microsoft.com/protect
> to get the latest updates for your operating system."
>
> All on the same CD.
>
> The detailed explanation for this methodolgy,
> which I am SURE Microsoft has provided,
> has as yet eluded me........

January 19, 2005 4:45:50 PM

I nominate Gary S. Terhune to oversee and run the next Microsoft Windows
Security CD. <eg>

: > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
[...]
January 19, 2005 4:48:49 PM

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 18:42:13 -0500, PA Bear wrote:

> "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
>> I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
>
> Horse hockey.
>
>> You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out what
>> goes with you operating system.
>
> When you run the CD, the files your machine needs, whatever the OS, are
> identified and offered for installation.
>
>> Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run xp sp2.
>
> What's that got to do with this topic?

Mine told me the same thing, Thats just the control front
page. You can still navigate the CD under explorer. Also
disable autoplay before running, and install the updates
from Run.
--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

Just like when installing from Windows Updates, you should turn everything
off save Windows Explorer.

Several of these are known to cause these and other problems (e.g.,
unsupported version of IE error messages):

1) Zone Alarm Pro [Private Header Info - enabled?] Reset "Ad Blocking" and
"Cookie Control" to "medium" "Mobile Code Control" = Off

2) Symantec (ISS\NIS) [Enable Browser Privacy - enabled] Active Content -
"Allow All Scripts To Execute" Problem: some sites cannot detect the 128 bit
encryption Solution: Completely remove and reinstall NIS.

3) Any "ad blocking" software that blocks "http_referer" or contains entries
that are blocking access to the desired site.

4) HOSTS file that contains entries that are blocking access to the desired
site.

5) Cookie blocking software that are blocking "required" Cookies.

6) Pop-up blockers that are stripping header\url info.

7) WebWasher Standard Filter/URL Filter

8) Make sure the following entry is not corrupt:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings] "User Agent"="Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)"

Note: "Win32" = Windows 98\ME Other versions = (compatible; MSIE 6.0;
Windows NT 5.0;)

(Courtesy of MVP Mike Burgess)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

Hugh Candlin wrote:
>> Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
>
> Try this for laughs......
>
> "The updates on this CD are for Microsoft® Windows® 98,
> Windows Me, Windows 2000, and Windows XP operating systems,
> and do not apply to your computer.
>
> You may be running an earlier version of Windows."
>
> Or this.....
>
> "This CD is intended for computers running
> Microsoft Windows® 2000 or Windows XP.
>
> You may be running an earlier version of Windows."
>
> or the now infamous....
>
> "The content on this page has expired
> Please visit microsoft.com/protect
> to get the latest updates for your operating system."
>
> All on the same CD.
>
> The detailed explanation for this methodolgy,
> which I am SURE Microsoft has provided,
> has as yet eluded me........
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 6:48:23 PM

I'm not having a problem. I was just commenting on the variety
of contradictory message pages included on the CD.

news:o IbW6gm$EHA.1524@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Just like when installing from Windows Updates, you should turn everything
> off save Windows Explorer.

Only if you are not using the online update method.

> Several of these are known to cause these and other problems (e.g.,
> unsupported version of IE error messages):

Sorry. Not trying to be argumentative,
but I really don't see how your post applies to mine.

I just don't see the connection, but, as always,
I appreciate the gesture.
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 8:48:15 PM

Hugh Candlin wrote:
>> Just like when installing from Windows Updates, you should turn
>> everything
>> off save Windows Explorer.
>
> Only if you are not using the online update method.

Versus...?
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 9:05:43 PM

Just providing a hint for Greg. I could think of several. :)
--
mae

| Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
|
| --
| Gary S. Terhune
| MS MVP Shell/User
|
| "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
| > As per control.htm:
| > "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
| > microsoft.com/protect"
| > I did not connect and got the expired message..
| > --
| > mae
| >

| > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
| > | Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
| > | I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
| >
| > | You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
| > what
| > | goes with you operating system.
| > |
| > sp2.
| > |
| > | Greg R
| > |

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 9:05:44 PM

I *did* have my tongue in cheek, just a bit.

However, not having a 98 system handy that I can muck up, I can't get
into the guts to test, and rewrite to HTM and HTA (not to mention js
files.) Besides, I just don't have the time right now.

--

news:o 7qxDQo$EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Just providing a hint for Greg. I could think of several. :)
> --
> mae

> | Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
> |
> | --
> | Gary S. Terhune
> | MS MVP Shell/User
> |
> | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> | > As per control.htm:
> | > "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
> | > microsoft.com/protect"
> | > I did not connect and got the expired message..
> | > --
> | > mae
> | >

> | > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message

> | > what
> | > |
> xp
> | > sp2.
> | > |
> | > |

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 19, 2005 9:05:45 PM

Of course, actually reprogramming the things might not make MS happy,
especially if anyone posted the copy. However, Glen reminded me of the
obvious solution--set back the computer's date. (I told you I was
swamped--took a serious WHACK! with the cluestick!

To use the Windows Security Updates CD, first apply my "Clean Boot"
procedures, or whatever variations are appropriate to other versions of
Windows, then set your date to the middle of 2004, *temporarily*. It
would be *very* wise to make sure no background programs are present,
and to correct the date *before* re-establishing normal configurations.

--
Gary S. Terhune
MS MVP Shell/User

news:o cONCso$EHA.2984@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> I *did* have my tongue in cheek, just a bit.
>
> However, not having a 98 system handy that I can muck up, I can't get
> into the guts to test, and rewrite to HTM and HTA (not to mention js
> files.) Besides, I just don't have the time right now.
>
> --
> Gary S. Terhune
> MS MVP Shell/User
>
> "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
> news:o 7qxDQo$EHA.3616@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Just providing a hint for Greg. I could think of several. :)
> > --
> > mae
> >
> > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
> > | Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
> > |
> > | --
> > | Gary S. Terhune
> > | MS MVP Shell/User
> > |
> > | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message

> > | > |
> > xp
> > | > |
> > | > |

January 19, 2005 10:57:48 PM

Gary, the security cd works fine in 98SE without changing anything because I
installed it on New Year's 2005; it is only in XP that you must change the
clock.

[...]
: > > --
: > > mae
: > >
: > > "Gary S. Terhune" <grystnews@mvps.org> wrote in message
: > > news:uUuUocf$EHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
: > > | Wonder how easy that is to get around, <g>?
: > > |
: > > | --
: > > | Gary S. Terhune
: > > | MS MVP Shell/User
: > > |
: > > | "mae" <agrannie@notemail.msn.com> wrote in message
: > > | news:u92Eh5d$EHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
: > > | > As per control.htm:
: > > | > "check if the date is past 10/1/04 and direct them to
: > > | > microsoft.com/protect"
: > > | > I did not connect and got the expired message..
: > > | > --
: > > | > mae
: > > | >
: > > | >
: > > | > "Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
: > > | > news:vj6qu05k9r4e6a96u61orabskskbegvt68@4ax.com...
: > > | > | Security Update Cd Expires. Keep Your files backed up.
: > > | > | I was doing a clean install of an os and found this out.
: > > | >
: > > | > | You can still use those files on the cd, If you can figure out
: > > | > what
: > > | > | goes with you operating system.
: > > | > |
: > > | > || Yes, I know xp has sp2 now. However, Some computer cant run
: > > xp
: > > | > sp2.
: > > | > |
: > > | > | Greg R
: > > | > |
: > > | >
: > > |
: > >
: >
:
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 20, 2005 1:01:10 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:57:27 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>I *did* have my tongue in cheek, just a bit.
>
>However, not having a 98 system handy that I can muck up, I can't get
>into the guts to test, and rewrite to HTM and HTA (not to mention js
>files.) Besides, I just don't have the time right now.

I did just change the Control.htm year. Have not tried installing it.
I did insert the cd. It did say install on the next page.

Greg R
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 20, 2005 1:06:56 AM

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 17:28:21 -0800, "Gary S. Terhune"
<grystnews@mvps.org> wrote:

>Of course, actually reprogramming the things might not make MS happy,
>especially if anyone posted the copy. However, Glen reminded me of the
>obvious solution--set back the computer's date. (I told you I was
>swamped--took a serious WHACK! with the cluestick!
>
>To use the Windows Security Updates CD, first apply my "Clean Boot"
>procedures, or whatever variations are appropriate to other versions of
>Windows, then set your date to the middle of 2004, *temporarily*. It
>would be *very* wise to make sure no background programs are present,
>and to correct the date *before* re-establishing normal configurations.

Actual I think you can get away with changing the date in the html
file. The reason is it not in the eula. plus, Microsoft never said
the cd would expire in the eula.

Greg R
January 20, 2005 9:06:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> If you're thinking,
> "almost bob, *you're* the idiot with the enormous signature",
> you would be right.
>
> Big of you to not say that though.

But hysterical to post it to the Win ME group where I'm reading this just
today having clean installed ME then used the Security Update CD with no
problem whatsoever. Personally I do not believe the CD was programmed to
*expire* in W2k and/or XP but not 9x. If he had a beta, eg RC1 then, yes, it
probably would expire and in 9x too.

Shane
January 20, 2005 9:10:13 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Shane, you are correct. The Windows Security CD expires in the NT code (2000
and XP) but not the 9x (98, 98SE and ME) code. That is what I have been
trying to tell people but it does not seem to click for them.

"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
[...]
January 20, 2005 2:40:03 PM

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:10:13 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Shane, you are correct. The Windows Security CD expires in the NT code (2000
>and XP) but not the 9x (98, 98SE and ME) code. That is what I have been
>trying to tell people but it does not seem to click for them.
>
>"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

Obviously, you didn’t read the thread carefully. (Also, look in the
windows 98 general group and read some other post). You did not take
a look at my webpage

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html

This error appeared when I was doing a clean install of 98se.
So quit

For those that seem to work without getting that error. Must mean
that your computer bios won’t let software read your system date and
time.

As far as windows me. and 2000. I have not tested it on.

There is a tweak that MM posted in the 98se thread.

Greg R
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 20, 2005 2:45:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Corrected Post

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:10:13 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Shane, you are correct. The Windows Security CD expires in the NT code (2000
>and XP) but not the 9x (98, 98SE and ME) code. That is what I have been
>trying to tell people but it does not seem to click for them.
>
>"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

Obviously, you didn’t read the thread carefully. (Also, look in the
windows 98 general group and read some other post). You did not take
a look at my webpage

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html

This error appeared when I was doing a clean install of 98se.
So quit

For those that seem to work without getting that error. Must mean
that your computer bios won’t let software read your system date and
time.

As far as windows me. and 2000. I have not tested it on.

There is a tweak that MM posted in the 98se thread.

Greg R
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 20, 2005 2:51:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Re-Corrected Post

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 06:10:13 -0700, "Dan" <spamyou@user.nec> wrote:

>Shane, you are correct. The Windows Security CD expires in the NT code (2000
>and XP) but not the 9x (98, 98SE and ME) code. That is what I have been
>trying to tell people but it does not seem to click for them.
>
>"Shane" <arthursixpence@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message

Obviously, you didn’t read the thread carefully. (Also, look in the
windows 98 general group and read some other post). You did not take
a look at my webpage

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/computertips/private.html

This error appeared when I was doing a clean install of 98se.

For those that seem to work without getting that error. Must mean
that your computer bios won’t let software read your system date and
time.

As far as windows me, 2000 and xp. I have not tested it on.

There is a tweak that MM posted in the 98 thread.

look in the cd:\content\control.htm

Using notepad and you will see the date check as well.

Greg R
January 20, 2005 2:51:01 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Greg, why do you keep recorrecting your post? Are you spamming the
newsgroups?

"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
: Re-Corrected Post
:
[...]
January 20, 2005 8:02:59 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Why would I look in a 98 ng when you posted to the ME one I'm reading? I'd
have to be crazy.

The expired part is the Security Advisor - which makes perfect sense. The
update itself runs, just not via the .hta.

Shane
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 20, 2005 8:03:00 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:02:59 -0000, "Shane"
<arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Why would I look in a 98 ng when you posted to the ME one I'm reading? I'd
>have to be crazy.
>
>The expired part is the Security Advisor - which makes perfect sense. The
>update itself runs, just not via the .hta.
>

>Shane

First, I never said the whole cd expires. I even added that you can
manual install the updates.

I am not just posting to the ME group.

I did what called a multi-group posting. I think people should be
aware that on some systems that the control.htm will expire.

I will tell you what MM and others have said. All you would have to
do is change the date in control.htm file. Copy the files to the hard
drive. Edit the control.htm file using notepad. Change the year to
2012 or later. Burn it on another cd. Now it will auto install the
files you need.

Greg R
January 20, 2005 9:52:17 PM

> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:02:59 -0000, "Shane"
> <arthursixpence@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Why would I look in a 98 ng when you posted to the ME one I'm reading?
I'd
> >have to be crazy.
> >
> >The expired part is the Security Advisor - which makes perfect sense. The
> >update itself runs, just not via the .hta.
> >

> >Shane
> >

> First, I never said the whole cd expires. I even added that you can
> manual install the updates.
>
> I am not just posting to the ME group.
>
> I did what called a multi-group posting. I think people should be
> aware that on some systems that the control.htm will expire.

I can't be bothered, Greg. Since you appeared here claiming someone was
accusing you of being Greg H. it's been one long escapade on the borderline
of sanity.

Shane
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 20, 2005 9:52:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Shane,
You got the wrong Greg shane. I am Greg R not the other Greg he has
been long gone. Make yourself look like an idiot.

Dan,
I was doing a correction and made a couple of mistakes. I notice
another mistake in the correction. I cancelled those post.
I was not spamming. I will just leave my mistake in now.

Greg R
January 20, 2005 9:52:19 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Okay, thanks.

"Greg R" <webworm12@yes.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o 6e0v0hadkeipgfht2m0u66930pb0nmui6@4ax.com...
: Shane,
: You got the wrong Greg shane. I am Greg R not the other Greg he has
: been long gone. Make yourself look like an idiot.
:
: Dan,
: I was doing a correction and made a couple of mistakes. I notice
: another mistake in the correction. I cancelled those post.
: I was not spamming. I will just leave my mistake in now.
:
: Greg R
:
:
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
January 21, 2005 4:13:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I know I'm perpetuating it but is all this crossposting necessary, guys?
--
~PA Bear
Anonymous

> I know I'm perpetuating it but is all this crossposting necessary, guys?
> --
> ~PA Bear

The updates on the CD are for Microsoft®

Windows® 98
Windows Me
Windows 2000 and
Windows XP operating systems.

It is posted to the groups that a discussion
about the CD would seem to be relevant to

microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
microsoft.public.windowsme.general
microsoft.public.win2000.general
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Who do you want to drop? And why?

What is the problem with occasional communication
with users of other operating Systems about a common issue?
!