ABIT AV8 3rd Eye M/B Power requirement

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2004 2:55:16 AM

ABIT AV8 3rd EYE & Enermax Noisetaker 470w PSU

Just bought these for a new-build. Problem is, the pinout of the 20 pin ATX
power connector shown in the AV8 manual shows -5 on pin 18 (with +5 on both
19 & 20) The Enermax has a 24 pin connector on the end of its cable but
comes with a 24pin to 20 pin adaptor link and no connection to pin 18 of the
20w connector. In fact the PSU doesn't have a -5v rail at all. Is the -5v
rail actually needed on the AV8? The box the PSU comes in says it supports
AMD Athlon 64/64FX which is what goes in this ABIT motherboard. Also on the
box it says 'ATX12V V2.0 Support LGA775 Prescott P4 (24P) & PCI Express
AGP(6p)'
Whist I appreciate the last bit isn't relevant all other connectors from the
PSU will supply what the new PC will need. If this PSU is unsuitable which
quality PSU would be?
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
October 30, 2004 2:55:17 AM

Philip Hirst wrote:

> ABIT AV8 3rd EYE & Enermax Noisetaker 470w PSU
>

> Just bought these for a new-build. Problem is, the pinout of the 20 pin ATX
> power connector shown in the AV8 manual shows -5 on pin 18 (with +5 on both
> 19 & 20) The Enermax has a 24 pin connector on the end of its cable but
> comes with a 24pin to 20 pin adaptor link and no connection to pin 18 of the
> 20w connector. In fact the PSU doesn't have a -5v rail at all. Is the -5v
> rail actually needed on the AV8? The box the PSU comes in says it supports
> AMD Athlon 64/64FX which is what goes in this ABIT motherboard. Also on the
> box it says 'ATX12V V2.0 Support LGA775 Prescott P4 (24P) & PCI Express
> AGP(6p)'
> Whist I appreciate the last bit isn't relevant all other connectors from the
> PSU will supply what the new PC will need. If this PSU is unsuitable which
> quality PSU would be?

-5V is an old ISA power rail and hasn't been used for eons, even on ISA cards.
!