Connecting fans to motherboard

I know this is probably a stupid question, but since I need the answer I'm
going to ask. I'm installing a new motherboard that has connections for CPU1
Fan, CPU2 Fan and ChassisFan1. Since I only have 1 cpu fan, can I connect a
second case fan to the CPU2 fan connection? All the connections have the same
voltage.

Thanks!

"PawsForThought" <darnit7@aol.comnolitter> wrote in message
>I know this is probably a stupid question, but since I need the answer I'm
> going to ask. I'm installing a new motherboard that has connections for
> CPU1
> Fan, CPU2 Fan and ChassisFan1. Since I only have 1 cpu fan, can I connect
> second case fan to the CPU2 fan connection? All the connections have the
> same
> voltage.
>
> Thanks!

Yup. You can connect any fan there. -Dave

"Dave C." wrote:

> >I know this is probably a stupid question, but since I need the answer I'm
> > going to ask. I'm installing a new motherboard that has connections for
> > CPU1
> > Fan, CPU2 Fan and ChassisFan1. Since I only have 1 cpu fan, can I connect
> > second case fan to the CPU2 fan connection? All the connections have the
> > same
> > voltage.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Yup. You can connect any fan there. -Dave

As long as the current needed by the fan is less than the maximum current
specified for that circuit. Check the manual for the spec.

>From: "Dave C." mdupre@sff.net

>Yup. You can connect any fan there. -Dave

Thank you, Dave, I appreciate it.

>From: ric nospam@home.com

>"Dave C." wrote:
>

>> Yup. You can connect any fan there. -Dave
>
>As long as the current needed by the fan is less than the maximum current
>specified for that circuit. Check the manual for the spec.

All the fan connections have 3 pins: Pin1 GND, Pin2 +12V, and Pin3 Sensor. Is
this what you mean?

PawsForThought wrote:

> >From: ric nospam@home.com
>
> >"Dave C." wrote:
> >

> >> Yup. You can connect any fan there. -Dave
> >
> >As long as the current needed by the fan is less than the maximum current
> >specified for that circuit. Check the manual for the spec.
>
> All the fan connections have 3 pins: Pin1 GND, Pin2 +12V, and Pin3 Sensor. Is
> this what you mean?

No, I was referring to the current drawn by the fan. Perhaps you meant to
reply to the original post?

On 29 Oct 2004 23:37:54 GMT, darnit7@aol.comnolitter (PawsForThought)
wrote:

>I know this is probably a stupid question, but since I need the answer I'm
>going to ask. I'm installing a new motherboard that has connections for CPU1
>Fan, CPU2 Fan and ChassisFan1. Since I only have 1 cpu fan, can I connect a
>second case fan to the CPU2 fan connection? All the connections have the same
>voltage.
>
>Thanks!

http://www.heatsinkstore.com/surheafanspc1.html

this is the way to do it.

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

On 30 Oct 2004 13:31:24 GMT, darnit7@aol.comnolitter (PawsForThought)
wrote:

>>From: ric nospam@home.com
>
>>"Dave C." wrote:
>>

>>> Yup. You can connect any fan there. -Dave
>>
>>As long as the current needed by the fan is less than the maximum current
>>specified for that circuit. Check the manual for the spec.
>
>All the fan connections have 3 pins: Pin1 GND, Pin2 +12V, and Pin3 Sensor. Is
>this what you mean?

No. What he's saying is that things like retail package CPU
coolers are (probably) ok, but if you were to connect something
like a delta black fan to one of these headers, then you may come to
grief and damage the motherboard.

Look at the current draw of the fan you want to connect and the
max allowable load on the header (should be in the MB documentation).

If the fan's current requirements are more than the max current for
the MB header, you need to use a 3 to 4 pin adapter and power the fan
directly off the PSU.

>From: nobody nobody@nowhere.com

>On 30 Oct 2004 13:31:24 GMT, darnit7@aol.comnolitter (PawsForThought)
>wrote:
>
>>>From: ric nospam@home.com

>>>As long as the current needed by the fan is less than the maximum current
>>>specified for that circuit. Check the manual for the spec.
>>
>>All the fan connections have 3 pins: Pin1 GND, Pin2 +12V, and Pin3 Sensor.
>Is
>>this what you mean?
>
>No. What he's saying is that things like retail package CPU
>coolers are (probably) ok, but if you were to connect something
>like a delta black fan to one of these headers, then you may come to
>grief and damage the motherboard.
>
>Look at the current draw of the fan you want to connect and the
>max allowable load on the header (should be in the MB documentation).
>
>If the fan's current requirements are more than the max current for
>the MB header, you need to use a 3 to 4 pin adapter and power the fan
>directly off the PSU.

Actually I haven't bought a 2nd case fan yet. I looked at my mb documentation
and can't find anything about what the max current would be. Any
recommendations for a quiet but good 2nd case fan? It would be going in the
front drawing air in.

Thanks for your help!