Nvidia drivers - Mike M?

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Mike, I doubt the patch you mention would help me, but using nVidia
drivers on my old TNT2 Model 64 display adapter so maybe it would.

Tried installing newer drivers a while back but with no luck so went
back to original drivers (as best I could).

One problem remains - which may have nothing to do with nVidia
drivers. When I try to open System Restore, an outline of the System
Restore window opens but stops at that point. The desktop icons are
still visible. Ctrl+Alt+Del will allow ending task of System Restore.
Then, going right back into System Restore a second time, everything
works as should. This seems to be the only problem at the present, and
has been this way for months. Just wondering if the attempted
installation of newer nVidia drivers caused this....

> Just wondering if the attempted
> installation of newer nVidia drivers caused this....

I don't think so. The problem when installing recent version nVidia
drivers is that the installer for some inexplicable reason removes many of
the entries in the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CLASSES\Directory
key in the registry, especially the shellex branch. This should have no
effect on the operation of the system restore GUI that you are seeing.

OK. I've just tested this for myself and deleting these entries doesn't
produce the effect you are seeing. Sorry. :-(

So what might be causing your problem, I don't really know especially as
on launching the GUI a second time all is normal. If I think of anything
in the next couple of days I'll post back.

Regards,
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

ET <someone@mars.com> wrote:

> Mike, I doubt the patch you mention would help me, but using nVidia
> drivers on my old TNT2 Model 64 display adapter so maybe it would.
>
> Tried installing newer drivers a while back but with no luck so went
> back to original drivers (as best I could).
>
> One problem remains - which may have nothing to do with nVidia
> drivers. When I try to open System Restore, an outline of the System
> Restore window opens but stops at that point. The desktop icons are
> still visible. Ctrl+Alt+Del will allow ending task of System Restore.
> Then, going right back into System Restore a second time, everything
> works as should. This seems to be the only problem at the present, and
> has been this way for months. Just wondering if the attempted
> installation of newer nVidia drivers caused this....

ET

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 21:46:06 -0000, "Mike M"
<No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote:

>OK. I've just tested this for myself and deleting these entries doesn't
>produce the effect you are seeing. Sorry. :-(
>
>So what might be causing your problem, I don't really know especially as
>on launching the GUI a second time all is normal. If I think of anything
>in the next couple of days I'll post back.
>
>Regards,
------
Thanks, Mike.

TRENDING THREADS