trouble with WPC54gs adapter

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have installed and reinstalled. ZCW is disabled. I get 2 messages. One
says WPC54GS is inactive and /or wpc54gs is not installed. Yet in Device mgr
all is well. onboatd nic is disabled. winxp pro sp2.
Frank L

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Have you checked and made sure you have a driver installed for the adapter?

Does it show enabled?

Are the lights blinking?

Have you changed the SSID of the router and perhaps changed channels?

Do you have MAC filtering set up? If not you might want to do that.

To troubleshoot, turn off all security and turn on the SSID broadcast in the
router.

Does the WPC54GS configuration utility see any networks at all?

Are you using WAP security and if not, try turning off the 802.1x security?

Do you use VPN or do you show any Eacfilt Drivers bound to the adapter? If
you do, uncheck it.

I have been playing with my setup for several days. Some times it works
great and connects without problems, but after I change something, it might
take a while to get back to where it was. Also rebooting everything can
sometimes help connection problems.

Clark

"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I have installed and reinstalled. ZCW is disabled. I get 2 messages. One
>says WPC54GS is inactive and /or wpc54gs is not installed. Yet in Device
>mgr all is well. onboatd nic is disabled. winxp pro sp2.
> Frank L

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hey Clark,
Yeah, mine was fine also. I didn't change anything, but I did disable the
router in the config page on my desktop (wrtg4gs) Everything else you
mentioned , I have checked. I am going to uninstall and reinstall the card
and see what happens. I hope I can disable the wireless capabilities without
this happening everytime I do.
Thanks
Frank l

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> Have you checked and made sure you have a driver installed for the
> adapter?
>
> Does it show enabled?
>
> Are the lights blinking?
>
> Have you changed the SSID of the router and perhaps changed channels?
>
> Do you have MAC filtering set up? If not you might want to do that.
>
> To troubleshoot, turn off all security and turn on the SSID broadcast in
> the router.
>
> Does the WPC54GS configuration utility see any networks at all?
>
> Are you using WAP security and if not, try turning off the 802.1x
> security?
>
> Do you use VPN or do you show any Eacfilt Drivers bound to the adapter?
> If you do, uncheck it.
>
> I have been playing with my setup for several days. Some times it works
> great and connects without problems, but after I change something, it
> might take a while to get back to where it was. Also rebooting everything
> can sometimes help connection problems.
>
> Clark
>
> "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>>I have installed and reinstalled. ZCW is disabled. I get 2 messages. One
>>says WPC54GS is inactive and /or wpc54gs is not installed. Yet in Device
>>mgr all is well. onboatd nic is disabled. winxp pro sp2.
>> Frank L

My wireless was working fine until I upgraded to Windows XP- prof from 2000.
Now I can not get a driver to install, tried linksys site download and
windows update, none will install get Error Code: 0x80070436 There was a
problem installing this hardware,An error occurred during installation of the
device,Tthe name is already in use as either a service name or service
display name. Any suggestions????

"Frank" wrote:

> Hey Clark,
> Yeah, mine was fine also. I didn't change anything, but I did disable the
> router in the config page on my desktop (wrtg4gs) Everything else you
> mentioned , I have checked. I am going to uninstall and reinstall the card
> and see what happens. I hope I can disable the wireless capabilities without
> this happening everytime I do.
> Thanks
> Frank l
>
> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> > Have you checked and made sure you have a driver installed for the
> > adapter?
> >
> > Does it show enabled?
> >
> > Are the lights blinking?
> >
> > Have you changed the SSID of the router and perhaps changed channels?
> >
> > Do you have MAC filtering set up? If not you might want to do that.
> >
> > To troubleshoot, turn off all security and turn on the SSID broadcast in
> > the router.
> >
> > Does the WPC54GS configuration utility see any networks at all?
> >
> > Are you using WAP security and if not, try turning off the 802.1x
> > security?
> >
> > Do you use VPN or do you show any Eacfilt Drivers bound to the adapter?
> > If you do, uncheck it.
> >
> > I have been playing with my setup for several days. Some times it works
> > great and connects without problems, but after I change something, it
> > might take a while to get back to where it was. Also rebooting everything
> > can sometimes help connection problems.
> >
> > Clark
> >
> > "Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >>I have installed and reinstalled. ZCW is disabled. I get 2 messages. One
> >>says WPC54GS is inactive and /or wpc54gs is not installed. Yet in Device
> >>mgr all is well. onboatd nic is disabled. winxp pro sp2.
> >> Frank L

Try removing the card, remove with device manager
reboot so the system really knows it is not there then
try re-installing. I have had problems with left over
drivers before on an upgrade. Make sure it is NOT
there before you try to do the install of the new drivers.

mikey