Passwords

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 20, 2005 3:21:04 AM

Hi
WinME has taken up of asking upon start up for user name and password.
I'm the only user and I've never set up a user name and password before so I
don't get it why all of a sudden it wants me to enter it.
I always click Cancel, and Windows continues to load without a problem but
it's annoying (and is recurring each time.)
Other issue is that's maybe related, maybe not, is the IE (I have version
6.0) won't let me save my password when logging onto the internet (I have
dial up with Juno/Netzero). The Save Password box is inactive (so is the
Automatic Logon) so I cannot select it thus I have to type in the password
every time.

Info that might be useful that I was forced to install briefly then
uninstall the eVision MegaPro digital camera software, which is I know also a
spyware program, but after removing it (with Add/Remove Programs feature of
Control Panel and clearing the residual files and the spyware itself with
PestPatrol), that's when the IE has started acting up as described above
(same with the weird Windows request for user name and password each time).

Anyone knows how to fix this bug?

(I no longer have high hopes for accurate troubleshooting response from this
forum, but I thought I'll give it a shot anyway...)

More about : passwords

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:37:35 PM

Search your PC for files with the extension *.PWL and rename them to *.OLD.

Reboot and when presented with the logon screen DON'T type anything, just press enter.

This should take care of your problems.

Zee

"WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24685302-40D4-4739-81FB-A93D19DB5984@microsoft.com...
> Hi
> WinME has taken up of asking upon start up for user name and password.
> I'm the only user and I've never set up a user name and password before so I
> don't get it why all of a sudden it wants me to enter it.
> I always click Cancel, and Windows continues to load without a problem but
> it's annoying (and is recurring each time.)
> Other issue is that's maybe related, maybe not, is the IE (I have version
> 6.0) won't let me save my password when logging onto the internet (I have
> dial up with Juno/Netzero). The Save Password box is inactive (so is the
> Automatic Logon) so I cannot select it thus I have to type in the password
> every time.
>
> Info that might be useful that I was forced to install briefly then
> uninstall the eVision MegaPro digital camera software, which is I know also a
> spyware program, but after removing it (with Add/Remove Programs feature of
> Control Panel and clearing the residual files and the spyware itself with
> PestPatrol), that's when the IE has started acting up as described above
> (same with the weird Windows request for user name and password each time).
>
> Anyone knows how to fix this bug?
>
> (I no longer have high hopes for accurate troubleshooting response from this
> forum, but I thought I'll give it a shot anyway...)
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 12:37:36 PM

Thanks, it did fix the problem with the IE (thank you) but the windows start
up password request is still present.
Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter when
the OK button was highlighted...
There are no *.pwl files now (all 3 of them have .old extensions)
Is there some way (still) to eliminate the windows start up password step?
Thanks.

"oops!!" wrote:

> Search your PC for files with the extension *.PWL and rename them to *.OLD.
>
> Reboot and when presented with the logon screen DON'T type anything, just press enter.
>
> This should take care of your problems.
>
> Zee
>

> "WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24685302-40D4-4739-81FB-A93D19DB5984@microsoft.com...
> > Hi
> > WinME has taken up of asking upon start up for user name and password.
> > I'm the only user and I've never set up a user name and password before so I
> > don't get it why all of a sudden it wants me to enter it.
> > I always click Cancel, and Windows continues to load without a problem but
> > it's annoying (and is recurring each time.)
> > Other issue is that's maybe related, maybe not, is the IE (I have version
> > 6.0) won't let me save my password when logging onto the internet (I have
> > dial up with Juno/Netzero). The Save Password box is inactive (so is the
> > Automatic Logon) so I cannot select it thus I have to type in the password
> > every time.
> >
> > Info that might be useful that I was forced to install briefly then
> > uninstall the eVision MegaPro digital camera software, which is I know also a
> > spyware program, but after removing it (with Add/Remove Programs feature of
> > Control Panel and clearing the residual files and the spyware itself with
> > PestPatrol), that's when the IE has started acting up as described above
> > (same with the weird Windows request for user name and password each time).
> >
> > Anyone knows how to fix this bug?
> >
> > (I no longer have high hopes for accurate troubleshooting response from this
> > forum, but I thought I'll give it a shot anyway...)

January 20, 2005 1:31:52 PM

I have to ask why you feel as you do with regards this NG.
Joan

WinMeWinMe wrote:

> (I no longer have high hopes for accurate troubleshooting response from this
> forum, but I thought I'll give it a shot anyway...)
Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:16:16 PM

Still having the Windows logon is somewhat weird...

And you are positive there are NO files with that *.PWL extension?

See if this KB helps:

How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152104

Zee

"WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42ABD6B0-706B-491C-9A81-EAAFCE07CB03@microsoft.com...
> Thanks, it did fix the problem with the IE (thank you) but the windows start
> up password request is still present.
> Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter when
> the OK button was highlighted...
> There are no *.pwl files now (all 3 of them have .old extensions)
> Is there some way (still) to eliminate the windows start up password step?
> Thanks.
>
> "oops!!" wrote:
>

> > Search your PC for files with the extension *.PWL and rename them to *.OLD.
> >
> > Reboot and when presented with the logon screen DON'T type anything, just press enter.
> >
> > This should take care of your problems.
> >
> > Zee
> >

> > "WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:24685302-40D4-4739-81FB-A93D19DB5984@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi
> > > WinME has taken up of asking upon start up for user name and password.
> > > I'm the only user and I've never set up a user name and password before so I
> > > don't get it why all of a sudden it wants me to enter it.
> > > I always click Cancel, and Windows continues to load without a problem but
> > > it's annoying (and is recurring each time.)
> > > Other issue is that's maybe related, maybe not, is the IE (I have version
> > > 6.0) won't let me save my password when logging onto the internet (I have
> > > dial up with Juno/Netzero). The Save Password box is inactive (so is the
> > > Automatic Logon) so I cannot select it thus I have to type in the password
> > > every time.
> > >
> > > Info that might be useful that I was forced to install briefly then
> > > uninstall the eVision MegaPro digital camera software, which is I know also a
> > > spyware program, but after removing it (with Add/Remove Programs feature of
> > > Control Panel and clearing the residual files and the spyware itself with
> > > PestPatrol), that's when the IE has started acting up as described above
> > > (same with the weird Windows request for user name and password each time).
> > >
> > > Anyone knows how to fix this bug?
> > >
> > > (I no longer have high hopes for accurate troubleshooting response from this
> > > forum, but I thought I'll give it a shot anyway...)

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 8:16:17 PM

Thanks for replying so fast.
Unfortunately the bug still exists.
Windows creates a file called 000.PWL that even after renaming it .old,
returns after reboot and having faced the password logon upon start up again.
I did click both the OK and Cancel buttons (respectively upon two separate
reboots), makes no difference.
I checked the KB, all settings are as supposed to be.

"oops!!" wrote:

> Still having the Windows logon is somewhat weird...
>
> And you are positive there are NO files with that *.PWL extension?
>
> See if this KB helps:
>
> How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152104
>
> Zee
>

> "WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42ABD6B0-706B-491C-9A81-EAAFCE07CB03@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks, it did fix the problem with the IE (thank you) but the windows start
> > up password request is still present.
> > Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter when
> > the OK button was highlighted...
> > There are no *.pwl files now (all 3 of them have .old extensions)
> > Is there some way (still) to eliminate the windows start up password step?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "oops!!" wrote:
> >

> > > Search your PC for files with the extension *.PWL and rename them to *.OLD.
> > >
> > > Reboot and when presented with the logon screen DON'T type anything, just press enter.
> > >
> > > This should take care of your problems.
> > >
> > > Zee

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:00:10 PM

You're welcome.

Then, could you please take a look at this one too?

How to Disable and Delete User Profiles

I'm also curious why it didn't work...

Zee

"WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0FFBC8C5-E9CC-436F-99AE-9E53A8F5EB9C@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for replying so fast.
> Unfortunately the bug still exists.
> Windows creates a file called 000.PWL that even after renaming it ..old,
> returns after reboot and having faced the password logon upon start up again.
> I did click both the OK and Cancel buttons (respectively upon two separate
> reboots), makes no difference.
> I checked the KB, all settings are as supposed to be.
>
> "oops!!" wrote:
>

> > Still having the Windows logon is somewhat weird...
> >
> > And you are positive there are NO files with that *.PWL extension?
> >
> > See if this KB helps:
> >
> > How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;152104
> >
> > Zee
> >

> > "WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:42ABD6B0-706B-491C-9A81-EAAFCE07CB03@microsoft.com...
> > > Thanks, it did fix the problem with the IE (thank you) but the windows start
> > > up password request is still present.
> > > Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter when
> > > the OK button was highlighted...
> > > There are no *.pwl files now (all 3 of them have .old extensions)
> > > Is there some way (still) to eliminate the windows start up password step?
> > > Thanks.

Anonymous
January 20, 2005 9:19:19 PM

> Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter when
> the OK button was highlighted...

DON'T click cancel !!! - Just enter a (your?) name and leave the password
blank. Then click OK.

Cancelling will only send you around the loop again - and again - and ...

Mart

"WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, it did fix the problem with the IE (thank you) but the windows
> start
> up password request is still present.
> Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter when
> the OK button was highlighted...
> There are no *.pwl files now (all 3 of them have .old extensions)
> Is there some way (still) to eliminate the windows start up password step?
> Thanks.
>
> "oops!!" wrote:
>

>> Search your PC for files with the extension *.PWL and rename them to
>> *.OLD.
>>
>> Reboot and when presented with the logon screen DON'T type anything, just
>> press enter.
>>
>> This should take care of your problems.
>>
>> Zee
>>

>> "WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi
>> > WinME has taken up of asking upon start up for user name and password.
>> > I'm the only user and I've never set up a user name and password before
>> > so I
>> > don't get it why all of a sudden it wants me to enter it.
>> > I always click Cancel, and Windows continues to load without a problem
>> > but
>> > it's annoying (and is recurring each time.)
>> > Other issue is that's maybe related, maybe not, is the IE (I have
>> > version
>> > 6.0) won't let me save my password when logging onto the internet (I
>> > have
>> > dial up with Juno/Netzero). The Save Password box is inactive (so is
>> > the
>> > Automatic Logon) so I cannot select it thus I have to type in the
>> > password
>> > every time.
>> >
>> > Info that might be useful that I was forced to install briefly then
>> > uninstall the eVision MegaPro digital camera software, which is I know
>> > also a
>> > spyware program, but after removing it (with Add/Remove Programs
>> > feature of
>> > Control Panel and clearing the residual files and the spyware itself
>> > with
>> > PestPatrol), that's when the IE has started acting up as described
>> > above
>> > (same with the weird Windows request for user name and password each
>> > time).
>> >
>> > Anyone knows how to fix this bug?
>> >
>> > (I no longer have high hopes for accurate troubleshooting response from
>> > this
>> > forum, but I thought I'll give it a shot anyway...)

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:25:04 AM

Yeah that's what I ended up doing, even before reading your advice (thanks
anyway) and windows now seems content with it.
(The renaming of the other .pwl files to .old did fix the IE password issue,
thanks oops!)
I don't have any idea why all of a sudden windows wouldn't work without
giving it a user name, but I've learned not to question the flaws in this
deeply flawed environment called winme.
I'm just happy when it's working and pray that it lasts...

"Mart" wrote:

> > Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter when
> > the OK button was highlighted...
>
> DON'T click cancel !!! - Just enter a (your?) name and leave the password
> blank. Then click OK.
>
> Cancelling will only send you around the loop again - and again - and ...
>
> Mart
>

> "WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, it did fix the problem with the IE (thank you) but the windows
> > start
> > up password request is still present.
> > Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter when
> > the OK button was highlighted...
> > There are no *.pwl files now (all 3 of them have .old extensions)
> > Is there some way (still) to eliminate the windows start up password step?
> > Thanks.
> >
> > "oops!!" wrote:
> >

> >> Search your PC for files with the extension *.PWL and rename them to
> >> *.OLD.
> >>
> >> Reboot and when presented with the logon screen DON'T type anything, just
> >> press enter.
> >>
> >> This should take care of your problems.
> >>
> >> Zee
> >>

> >> "WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 11:37:34 AM

You're welcome and I'm glad you found a way around the problem.

May I now hope your hopes are higher when you visit or ask for help in this
NG?
;-)

Cheers,

news:D FFEF311-D0D3-418A-B281-C8D5A1EC0B27@microsoft.com...
> Yeah that's what I ended up doing, even before reading your advice (thanks
> anyway) and windows now seems content with it.
> (The renaming of the other .pwl files to .old did fix the IE password
issue,
> thanks oops!)
> I don't have any idea why all of a sudden windows wouldn't work without
> giving it a user name, but I've learned not to question the flaws in this
> deeply flawed environment called winme.
> I'm just happy when it's working and pray that it lasts...
>
> "Mart" wrote:
>
> > > Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter
when
> > > the OK button was highlighted...
> >
> > DON'T click cancel !!! - Just enter a (your?) name and leave the
password
> > blank. Then click OK.
> >
> > Cancelling will only send you around the loop again - and again - and
> >
> > Mart
> >

> > "WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks, it did fix the problem with the IE (thank you) but the windows
> > > start
> > > up password request is still present.
> > > Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter
when
> > > the OK button was highlighted...
> > > There are no *.pwl files now (all 3 of them have .old extensions)
> > > Is there some way (still) to eliminate the windows start up password
step?
> > > Thanks.

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:18:39 PM

> I don't have any idea why all of a sudden windows
> wouldn't work without giving it a user name,

Because a user name is 'required' as a prerequisite for setting up a Network
Connection - and, the very first time WinMe is run after it's installed, the
wizard requests you give it a User Name <g>

Hence, it's 'not so much a flaw' - but badly documented, perhaps.

> but I've learned not to question the flaws in this
> deeply flawed environment called winme.

In fairness to WinMe, it may be a bit temperamental when it comes to
connecting 'older hardware' but in the some 6 years that I have been using
it, by far the vast majority of issues it has given me, were
'self-inflicted'!! You only have to follow these news groups and see the
'same old problems' being recycled, to recognise that most are 'finger
problems' rather than genuine "WinMe flaws".

Mart

"WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D FFEF311-D0D3-418A-B281-C8D5A1EC0B27@microsoft.com...
> Yeah that's what I ended up doing, even before reading your advice (thanks
> anyway) and windows now seems content with it.
> (The renaming of the other .pwl files to .old did fix the IE password
> issue,
> thanks oops!)
> I don't have any idea why all of a sudden windows wouldn't work without
> giving it a user name, but I've learned not to question the flaws in this
> deeply flawed environment called winme.
> I'm just happy when it's working and pray that it lasts...
>
> "Mart" wrote:
>
>> > Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter
>> > when
>> > the OK button was highlighted...
>>
>> DON'T click cancel !!! - Just enter a (your?) name and leave the
>> password
>> blank. Then click OK.
>>
>> Cancelling will only send you around the loop again - and again - and ...
>>
>> Mart
>>

>> "WinMeWinMe" <WinMeWinMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks, it did fix the problem with the IE (thank you) but the windows
>> > start
>> > up password request is still present.
>> > Guess should've clicked Cancel again, instead of simply hitting Enter
>> > when
>> > the OK button was highlighted...
>> > There are no *.pwl files now (all 3 of them have .old extensions)
>> > Is there some way (still) to eliminate the windows start up password
>> > step?
>> > Thanks.

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:18:40 PM

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in

> In fairness to WinMe, it may be a bit temperamental when it comes to
> connecting 'older hardware' but in the some 6 years that I have been
> using it, by far the vast majority of issues it has given me, were
> 'self-inflicted'!! You only have to follow these news groups and see
> the 'same old problems' being recycled, to recognise that most are
> 'finger problems' rather than genuine "WinMe flaws".

In this particular case it may be he accidentally invoked "Microsoft
Networking" which is unnecessary for most things but wants a User/Password

Rick
!