multiple instances of kernel32

Windows Me system with 1Gig Ram. Only loading Symantec Internet security,
Counterspy, and a clock program.

System is very slow and resouces available stays arround 42%. I have
multiple (3-4) instances of Kernel32.dll running. Any ideas as to what is
causing this?

Thanks

Norton!!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

"mtstream" <mtstream@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Windows Me system with 1Gig Ram. Only loading Symantec Internet security,
> Counterspy, and a clock program.
>
> System is very slow and resouces available stays arround 42%. I have
> multiple (3-4) instances of Kernel32.dll running. Any ideas as to what is
> causing this?
>
> Thanks

Multiple instances of kernel32.dll is correct and has nothing to do with
any problems you might be experiencing.

You mention having 1GB of RAM. Have you limited vcache in system.ini? If
not you need to do so. See KB 253912 - ""Out of Memory" Error Messages
with Large Amounts of RAM Installed"
(http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=253912).
Win Me, like previous Win 9x operating systems can handle up to 2GB of RAM
(although often there are problems with greater than 1GB) so if you have
more than 512MB it is essential to limit the virtual cache to no more than
512MB as follows:
To limit vcache, open system.ini and add the lines
[VCache]
MaxFileCache=512000
Note that this will still mean that all memory is available to
applications but is simply limiting the amount used as virtual cache
memory

I am not surprised however that you are having problems since you have
installed software that is incompatible with Win Me, namely Symantec's
NIS. As long as you continue to have NIS installed you can expect to see
performance problems and others as well.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com