multiple instances of kernel32

Windows Me system with 1Gig Ram. Only loading Symantec Internet security,
Counterspy, and a clock program.

System is very slow and resouces available stays arround 42%. I have
multiple (3-4) instances of Kernel32.dll running. Any ideas as to what is
causing this?

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about multiple instances kernel32

    Norton!!

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "mtstream" <mtstream@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Windows Me system with 1Gig Ram. Only loading Symantec Internet security,
    > Counterspy, and a clock program.
    >
    > System is very slow and resouces available stays arround 42%. I have
    > multiple (3-4) instances of Kernel32.dll running. Any ideas as to what is
    > causing this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Multiple instances of kernel32.dll is correct and has nothing to do with
    any problems you might be experiencing.

    You mention having 1GB of RAM. Have you limited vcache in system.ini? If
    not you need to do so. See KB 253912 - ""Out of Memory" Error Messages
    with Large Amounts of RAM Installed"
    (http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=253912).
    Win Me, like previous Win 9x operating systems can handle up to 2GB of RAM
    (although often there are problems with greater than 1GB) so if you have
    more than 512MB it is essential to limit the virtual cache to no more than
    512MB as follows:
    To limit vcache, open system.ini and add the lines
    [VCache]
    MaxFileCache=512000
    Note that this will still mean that all memory is available to
    applications but is simply limiting the amount used as virtual cache
    memory

    I am not surprised however that you are having problems since you have
    installed software that is incompatible with Win Me, namely Symantec's
    NIS. As long as you continue to have NIS installed you can expect to see
    performance problems and others as well.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    mtstream <mtstream@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Windows Me system with 1Gig Ram. Only loading Symantec Internet
    > security, Counterspy, and a clock program.
    >
    > System is very slow and resouces available stays arround 42%. I have
    > multiple (3-4) instances of Kernel32.dll running. Any ideas as to
    > what is causing this?
    >
    > Thanks

Kernel32 Windows Me Internet Security Windows