Spyware has left IE6 disabled, while Firefox works fine!

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
perfectly.

I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't connect
to a page.

I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
Still nothing.

I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!). Still
nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox is
working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I thought
remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which appears as a
Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so Internet Options
/ Connections has the browser attempting to connect via LAN.

It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
Alarm Free edition).

I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt a
repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.

Any ideas?

--
####################
## PH, London
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,
microsoft.public.windowsme.general, microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,
microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
32 answers Last reply
More about spyware left disabled firefox works fine
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Philip,

    Download and run this Winsock fix tool:

    http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip

    Reboot and test.

    Zee

    "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message news:%23N5bkr6$EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
    > (SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
    > public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
    > perfectly.
    >
    > I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
    > Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
    > she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't connect
    > to a page.
    >
    > I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
    > address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
    > Still nothing.
    >
    > I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
    > neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!). Still
    > nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox is
    > working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I thought
    > remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which appears as a
    > Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so Internet Options
    > / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via LAN.
    >
    > It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
    > Alarm Free edition).
    >
    > I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt a
    > repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > ####################
    > ## PH, London
    > ####################
    > Cross-posted to:
    > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
    > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,
    > microsoft.public.windowsme.general, microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,
    > microsoft.public.windowsme.networking

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    In article <udWqC56$EHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, oops!! says...

    > Download and run this Winsock fix tool...

    Just curious; should Firefox work with a broken Winsock?

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In article <udWqC56$EHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, oops!! says...
    >
    >> Download and run this Winsock fix tool...
    >
    > Just curious; should Firefox work with a broken Winsock?
    >
    > --
    > Norman
    > ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
    > ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
    > ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

    No.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:18:09 -0000, "Philip Herlihy"

    >A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
    >(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
    >public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked

    >I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
    >Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
    >she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't connect

    You could try suppressing BHOs in IE via Tools, Options, Advanced,
    UNcheck Enable 3rd-party extensions, but it's more likely a rogue
    "Content Adviser" setup, or possibly other active malware.

    >I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
    >address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
    >Still nothing.

    Yep. Because Firefox works, you know it isn't a Winsock problem or an
    http:// problem, so that leaves things that spazz out IE.

    >It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point

    OK, but ZA has bits running as services. If its rules are not set to
    block iexplore.exe, then that should not be a factor.

    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    Tech Support: The guys who follow the
    'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.
    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    >A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
    >(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
    >public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
    >perfectly.
    >
    > I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
    > Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
    > she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't
    > connect to a page.
    >
    > I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
    > address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
    > Still nothing.
    >
    > I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
    > neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!).
    > Still nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox
    > is working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I
    > thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
    > appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
    > Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via
    > LAN.
    >
    > It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
    > Alarm Free edition).
    >
    > I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt a
    > repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I haven't been able to get access
    to the machine as expected since my original post. I'll try the Winsock fix
    tool anyway - can't do any harm, although the fact that Firefox is working
    does suggest something above that layer. What I don't understand is how the
    problem can persist when I've uninstalled and reinstalled IE. Is my only
    option now a repair install of Windows ME? I don't want to leave the
    machine as it is as there is now no way to obtain Windows Updates.

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these questions.

    Carey

    > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    >>A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
    >>(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
    >>public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
    >>perfectly.
    >>
    >> I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
    >> Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
    >> she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't
    >> connect to a page.
    >>
    >> I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried
    >> the address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS
    >> problem. Still nothing.
    >>
    >> I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
    >> neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!).
    >> Still nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox
    >> is working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I
    >> thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
    >> appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
    >> Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via
    >> LAN.
    >>
    >> It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
    >> Alarm Free edition).
    >>
    >> I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt
    >> a repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I haven't been able to get
    > access to the machine as expected since my original post. I'll try the
    > Winsock fix tool anyway - can't do any harm, although the fact that
    > Firefox is working does suggest something above that layer. What I don't
    > understand is how the problem can persist when I've uninstalled and
    > reinstalled IE. Is my only option now a repair install of Windows ME? I
    > don't want to leave the machine as it is as there is now no way to obtain
    > Windows Updates.
    >
    > --
    > ####################
    > ## PH, London
    > ####################

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    > Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
    > questions.
    >
    > Carey

    Will do, and will report back. Having trouble finding a time when we're
    both available at the same time though!

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
    http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
    which describes which OS's are supported?

    The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).

    Where are any other winsock fixes?

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    > Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
    questions.

    > Carey

    <SNIP>
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1c5aeb1af32375b398a5dc@msnews.microsoft.com...
    > In article <udWqC56$EHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, oops!! says...
    >
    >> Download and run this Winsock fix tool...
    >
    > Just curious; should Firefox work with a broken Winsock?

    I think it depends on how it is "broken". If it is malware deliberately
    targeting IE or particular sites trying to be used by IE then Firefox
    might be "allowed" through whatever interference is being created.

    As a test for that case I'd be curious to know what happens if you use
    Firefox's User-Agent override so its requests appear to come from IE?
    <eg>

    ---
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

    Tip #3 has locations and descriptions.

    Carey

    > Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
    > http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
    > which describes which OS's are supported?
    >
    > The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
    >
    > Where are any other winsock fixes?

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    >> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
    > questions.
    >>
    >> Carey
    >>

    > <SNIP>

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Don't know which stable it's from Jack, but a google search for 'WinsockFix'
    finds various snippets - and info re- supported OS's
    Try
    http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/central/display/details.php3?installerID=127&nav=title

    Mart

    > Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
    > http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
    > which describes which OS's are supported?
    >
    > The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
    >
    > Where are any other winsock fixes?

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    >> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
    > questions.
    >>
    >> Carey
    >>

    > <SNIP>

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Clicking the "Info" button on that little program shows:

    WinsockFix (Freeware)
    By Option^Explicit Software Solutions
    Currently Compatible with Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP

    But, of course, who the hell is Option^Explicit, hmm.... Jack?
    ;-))

    Zee

    "Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uQJpenvAFHA.3700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Don't know which stable it's from Jack, but a google search for 'WinsockFix'
    > finds various snippets - and info re- supported OS's
    > Try
    > http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/central/display/details.php3?installerID=127&nav=title
    >

    > Mart
    >

    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
    > > http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
    > > which describes which OS's are supported?
    > >
    > > The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
    > >
    > > Where are any other winsock fixes?
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    > >> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
    > > questions.
    > >>
    > >> Carey
    > >>

    > > <SNIP>

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Jack,

    Bookmark this page, it may be useful:

    http://www.subratam.org/?page=removal

    Zee

    "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message news:Op3cCcvAFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
    > http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
    > which describes which OS's are supported?
    >
    > The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
    >
    > Where are any other winsock fixes?

    > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > ------
    > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    > > Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
    > questions.
    > >
    > > Carey
    > >

    > <SNIP>

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win95.general.discussion (More info?)

    This is what you need.

    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Joe

    --
    FireAm94

    FireAm94's Profile: http://www.justtechsupport.com/forums/member.php?userid=130
    View this thread: http://www.justtechsupport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8512
  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Thanks to all who replied.
    My intent was to better document these winsock fixes for our user community.

    > www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
    >
    > Tip #3 has locations and descriptions.
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
    > > Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
    > > http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
    > > which describes which OS's are supported?
    > >
    > > The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
    > >
    > > Where are any other winsock fixes?
    > > --
    > > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
    > > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    > > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    > > ------
    > > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
    > >> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
    > > questions.
    > >>
    > >> Carey
    > >>

    > > <SNIP>

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Thanks everyone who replied. I tried the Winsock fix, suggested by "oops!!"
    and it worked instantly. I'm very surprised that Firefox was immune to this
    problem. Everything is working well now, and I'm advising my friend to use
    Firefox rather than IE for safety's sake.

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London
    "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    >A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
    >(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
    >public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
    >perfectly.
    >
    > I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
    > Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
    > she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't
    > connect to a page.
    >
    > I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
    > address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
    > Still nothing.
    >
    > I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
    > neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!).
    > Still nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox
    > is working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I
    > thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
    > appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
    > Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via
    > LAN.
    >
    > It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
    > Alarm Free edition).
    >
    > I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt a
    > repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --
    > ####################
    > ## PH, London
    > ####################
    > Cross-posted to:
    > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
    > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,
    > microsoft.public.windowsme.general, microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,
    > microsoft.public.windowsme.networking

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Philip,

    That is great!

    The negative comments on my suggestion were probably caused by some lack of
    experience of the posters with some spyware/malware, and the FACT that
    Firefox is much less targeted than IE.

    I must say that Robert Aldwinckle already pointed to that possibility in
    this thread.

    And, yes, I never stopped using Firefox from the first moment I tried it,
    but remember you must keep IE for Windows Update.

    Anyway, you're out of trouble and that is what really counts!

    Cheers,

    > Thanks everyone who replied. I tried the Winsock fix, suggested by
    "oops!!"
    > and it worked instantly. I'm very surprised that Firefox was immune to
    this
    > problem. Everything is working well now, and I'm advising my friend to
    use
    > Firefox rather than IE for safety's sake.
    >
    > --
    > ####################
    > ## PH, London
    > ####################
    > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    > >A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
    > >(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
    > >public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
    > >perfectly.
    > >
    > > I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
    > > Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search
    assistants"
    > > she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't
    > > connect to a page.
    > >
    > > I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried
    the
    > > address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
    > > Still nothing.
    > >
    > > I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
    > > neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!).
    > > Still nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox
    > > is working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I
    > > thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
    > > appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
    > > Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via
    > > LAN.
    > >
    > > It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
    > > Alarm Free edition).
    > >
    > > I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt
    > > repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
    > >
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > --
    > > ####################
    > > ## PH, London
    > > ####################
    > > Cross-posted to:
    > > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
    > > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,
    > > microsoft.public.windowsme.general, microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,
    > > microsoft.public.windowsme.networking

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Thanks, Zee, I'm grateful for your help!

    It's intriguing that Firefox could continue while IE couldn't. I'd be
    interested to understand what the Winsock repair tool is doing, and why the
    problem doesn't affect Firefox.

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London
    "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
    >> > appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
    >> > Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect
    >> > via
    >> > LAN.
    >> >
    >> > It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
    >> > Alarm Free edition).
    >> >
    >> > I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to
    >> > attempt
    >> > repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
    >> >
    >> > Any ideas?
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > ####################
    >> > ## PH, London
    >> > ####################
    >> > Cross-posted to:
    >> > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
    >> > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Philip,

    I would suggest googling for winsock and winsock fix, this will bring you numerous hits and you will easily understand the problem and the cure.

    Interesting starting points:

    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial59.html
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    http://www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.htm

    Zee

    "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message news:%23erbArRBFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks, Zee, I'm grateful for your help!
    >
    > It's intriguing that Firefox could continue while IE couldn't. I'd be
    > interested to understand what the Winsock repair tool is doing, and why the
    > problem doesn't affect Firefox.
    >
    > --
    > ####################
    > ## PH, London
    > ####################
    > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Philip,
    > >
    > > That is great!
    > >
    > > The negative comments on my suggestion were probably caused by some lack
    > > of
    > > experience of the posters with some spyware/malware, and the FACT that
    > > Firefox is much less targeted than IE.
    > >
    > > I must say that Robert Aldwinckle already pointed to that possibility in
    > > this thread.
    > >
    > > And, yes, I never stopped using Firefox from the first moment I tried it,
    > > but remember you must keep IE for Windows Update.
    > >
    > > Anyway, you're out of trouble and that is what really counts!
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks everyone who replied. I tried the Winsock fix, suggested by
    > > "oops!!"
    > >> and it worked instantly. I'm very surprised that Firefox was immune to
    > > this
    > >> problem. Everything is working well now, and I'm advising my friend to
    > > use
    > >> Firefox rather than IE for safety's sake.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> ####################
    > >> ## PH, London
    > >> ####################
    > >> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message

    > > assistants"

    > > the

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Excellent - thanks again!

    --
    ####################
    ## PH, London

    Philip,

    I would suggest googling for winsock and winsock fix, this will bring you
    numerous hits and you will easily understand the problem and the cure.

    Interesting starting points:

    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial59.html
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    http://www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.htm

    Zee

    "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks, Zee, I'm grateful for your help!
    >
    > It's intriguing that Firefox could continue while IE couldn't. I'd be
    > interested to understand what the Winsock repair tool is doing, and why
    > the
    > problem doesn't affect Firefox.
    >
    > --
    > ####################
    > ## PH, London
    > ####################
    > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Philip,
    > >
    > > That is great!
    > >
    > > The negative comments on my suggestion were probably caused by some lack
    > > of
    > > experience of the posters with some spyware/malware, and the FACT that
    > > Firefox is much less targeted than IE.
    > >
    > > I must say that Robert Aldwinckle already pointed to that possibility in
    > > this thread.
    > >
    > > And, yes, I never stopped using Firefox from the first moment I tried
    > > it,
    > > but remember you must keep IE for Windows Update.
    > >
    > > Anyway, you're out of trouble and that is what really counts!
    > >
    > > Cheers,
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    > >> Thanks everyone who replied. I tried the Winsock fix, suggested by
    > > "oops!!"
    > >> and it worked instantly. I'm very surprised that Firefox was immune to
    > > this
    > >> problem. Everything is working well now, and I'm advising my friend to
    > > use
    > >> Firefox rather than IE for safety's sake.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> ####################
    > >> ## PH, London
    > >> ####################
    > >> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message

    > > assistants"

    > > the

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the
    business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.

    Ant thoughts would be appreciated.

    TIA

    Geoff

    --
    Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line
    > Excellent - thanks again!
    >
    > --
    > ####################
    > ## PH, London
    > ####################
    > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >
    > Philip,
    >
    > I would suggest googling for winsock and winsock fix, this will bring you
    > numerous hits and you will easily understand the problem and the cure.
    >
    > Interesting starting points:
    >
    > http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
    > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial59.html
    > http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    > http://www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.htm
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    >> Thanks, Zee, I'm grateful for your help!
    >>
    >> It's intriguing that Firefox could continue while IE couldn't. I'd be
    >> interested to understand what the Winsock repair tool is doing, and why
    >> the
    >> problem doesn't affect Firefox.
    >>
    >> --
    >> ####################
    >> ## PH, London
    >> ####################
    >> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> > Philip,
    >> >
    >> > That is great!
    >> >
    >> > The negative comments on my suggestion were probably caused by some
    >> > lack
    >> > of
    >> > experience of the posters with some spyware/malware, and the FACT that
    >> > Firefox is much less targeted than IE.
    >> >
    >> > I must say that Robert Aldwinckle already pointed to that possibility
    >> > in
    >> > this thread.
    >> >
    >> > And, yes, I never stopped using Firefox from the first moment I tried
    >> > it,
    >> > but remember you must keep IE for Windows Update.
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, you're out of trouble and that is what really counts!
    >> >
    >> > Cheers,
    >> >
    >> > Zee
    >> >

    >> > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
    >> > "oops!!"
    >> > this
    >> > use

    >> > assistants"

    >> > the

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the
    > business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
    >
    > Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Geoff

    Since you're using WinXP SP2, go to Start | Run and type
    netsh winsock reset

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Tried that but sadly it wont work.

    Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?

    thanks

    Geoff

    --
    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the
    >> business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
    >>
    >> Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Geoff
    >
    > Since you're using WinXP SP2, go to Start | Run and type
    > netsh winsock reset
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    > Tried that but sadly it wont work.
    >
    > Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Geoff

    You can't uninstall IE.
    Uninstall SP2 and reinstall that.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Download and run HiJackThis from
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

    Copy and paste the results of the scan into the HiJackThis on-line analyzer
    at:
    http://www.hijackthis.de/

    And remove items it recommends.

    Carey

    "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    > Tried that but sadly it wont work.
    >
    > Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Geoff
    >
    > --
    > Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>> I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the
    >>> business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
    >>>
    >>> Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> Geoff
    >>
    >> Since you're using WinXP SP2, go to Start | Run and type
    >> netsh winsock reset
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    >> http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >> Protect your PC
    >> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
    message news:O6AmOFkCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
    > "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> Tried that but sadly it wont work.
    >>
    >> Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >>
    >> Geoff
    >
    > You can't uninstall IE.
    > Uninstall SP2 and reinstall that.

    Do the reinstall with your anti-virus turned off.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Cant do that as my OS = Win XP comes with SP 2 installed!

    Geoff

    --
    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
    > message news:O6AmOFkCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
    >> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>> Tried that but sadly it wont work.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
    >>>
    >>> thanks
    >>>
    >>> Geoff
    >>
    >> You can't uninstall IE.
    >> Uninstall SP2 and reinstall that.
    >
    > Do the reinstall with your anti-virus turned off.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
    > http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    One of the earlier methods here should work:
    How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
    XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
    Make sure your anti-virus is turned off.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    > Cant do that as my OS = Win XP comes with SP 2 installed!
    >
    > Geoff
    >
    >> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
    >> message news:O6AmOFkCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
    >>> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    >>> You can't uninstall IE.
    >>> Uninstall SP2 and reinstall that.
    >>
    >> Do the reinstall with your anti-virus turned off.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
    >
    > Ant thoughts would be appreciated.

    It may help to post a link to it? <eg>

    ---
  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    That site can get less knowledgeable users into trouble. Best to post
    the issue to a reputable spyware forum. Read the guidelines of the one
    you choose prior to posting the Hijack This log :

    http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=32
    http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=3ce3e4c9a40b25268d1bac3189d22184
    http://computercops.biz/forum67.html

    MowGreen [MVP]
    ===============
    *-343-* FDNY
    Never Forgotten
    ===============

    Carey Holzman wrote:
    > Download and run HiJackThis from
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
    >
    > Copy and paste the results of the scan into the HiJackThis on-line analyzer
    > at:
    > http://www.hijackthis.de/
    >
    > And remove items it recommends.
    >
    > Carey
    >
    > "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Tried that but sadly it wont work.
    >>
    >>Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
    >>
    >>thanks
    >>
    >>Geoff
    >>
    >>--
    >>Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line
    >>"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message

    >>>Since you're using WinXP SP2, go to Start | Run and type
    >>>netsh winsock reset
    >>>
    >>>--
    >>>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >>>Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
    >>>http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >>>Protect your PC
    >>>http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/default.aspx
    >>>http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

    Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
    > "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
    >>
    >>Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
    >

    > It may help to post a link to it? <eg>
    >

    > ---

    I only keep IE as the MS update tool. But to answer the
    question, I use Ad-Aware and Spybot to remove or disable any
    spyware/hijackers. Specifically Gain/Gator. An alternate
    approach is to find out what Spyware these detect, and then
    specifically deny these access in your firewall - This works
    for GAIN. Others will need to be disabled in startup, then
    removed from system or registry database (very messy).

    --
    Lester Stiefel
    In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

    > "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >>I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
    >>
    >> Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
    >

    > It may help to post a link to it? <eg>

    My comment was almost too cryptic for me <g>

    In case the "baffled" post had propagated to Google Groups
    in the meantime I repeated a search for it today and still found
    only this thread:

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=author%3Ahassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com+OR+geoffatmhg++baffled

    (Google Groups search for
    author:hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com OR geoffatmhg baffled
    )

    So, either this poster used yet another alias to post in some unknown
    thread of "baffled" posts or he didn't use that word in the post he was
    asking us to refer to or his posting was a figment of his imagination!
    Etc.

    Does anyone think this could this be "Jason Sobol" getting confused
    about his "wheel spin" problem?

    http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=20&scoring=r&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_ugroup=&as_usubject=baffled&as_uauthors=&lr=&as_qdr=&as_drrb=b&as_mind=3&as_minm=2&as_miny=2005&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=2&as_maxy=2005&safe=off

    (Google Groups search for
    insubject:baffled
    Exact Date:2005-02-03
    )