Spyware has left IE6 disabled, while Firefox works fine!

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 21, 2005 2:18:09 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
perfectly.

I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't connect
to a page.

I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
Still nothing.

I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!). Still
nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox is
working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I thought
remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which appears as a
Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so Internet Options
/ Connections has the browser attempting to connect via LAN.

It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
Alarm Free edition).

I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt a
repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.

Any ideas?

--
####################
## PH, London
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,
microsoft.public.windowsme.general, microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,
microsoft.public.windowsme.networking
Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:41:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Philip,

Download and run this Winsock fix tool:

http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip

Reboot and test.

Zee

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message news:%23N5bkr6$EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
> (SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
> public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
> perfectly.
>
> I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
> Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
> she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't connect
> to a page.
>
> I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
> address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
> Still nothing.
>
> I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
> neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!). Still
> nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox is
> working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I thought
> remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which appears as a
> Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so Internet Options
> / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via LAN.
>
> It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
> Alarm Free edition).
>
> I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt a
> repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################
> Cross-posted to:
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,
> microsoft.public.windowsme.general, microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,
> microsoft.public.windowsme.networking

Anonymous
January 21, 2005 2:41:19 PM

In article <udWqC56$EHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, oops!! says...

> Download and run this Winsock fix tool...

Just curious; should Firefox work with a broken Winsock?

--
Norman
~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In article <udWqC56$EHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, oops!! says...
>
>> Download and run this Winsock fix tool...
>
> Just curious; should Firefox work with a broken Winsock?
>
> --
> Norman
> ~Win dain a lotica, En vai tu ri, Si lo ta
> ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain
> ~Vi fa-ru les shutai am, En riga-lint

No.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:18:09 -0000, "Philip Herlihy"

>A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
>(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
>public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked

>I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
>Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
>she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't connect

You could try suppressing BHOs in IE via Tools, Options, Advanced,
UNcheck Enable 3rd-party extensions, but it's more likely a rogue
"Content Adviser" setup, or possibly other active malware.

>I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
>address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
>Still nothing.

Yep. Because Firefox works, you know it isn't a Winsock problem or an
http:// problem, so that leaves things that spazz out IE.

>It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point

OK, but ZA has bits running as services. If its rules are not set to
block iexplore.exe, then that should not be a factor.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Tech Support: The guys who follow the
'Parade of New Products' with a shovel.
January 24, 2005 7:07:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
>A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
>(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
>public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
>perfectly.
>
> I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
> Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
> she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't
> connect to a page.
>
> I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
> address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
> Still nothing.
>
> I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
> neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!).
> Still nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox
> is working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I
> thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
> appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
> Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via
> LAN.
>
> It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
> Alarm Free edition).
>
> I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt a
> repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
>
> Any ideas?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I haven't been able to get access
to the machine as expected since my original post. I'll try the Winsock fix
tool anyway - can't do any harm, although the fact that Firefox is working
does suggest something above that layer. What I don't understand is how the
problem can persist when I've uninstalled and reinstalled IE. Is my only
option now a repair install of Windows ME? I don't want to leave the
machine as it is as there is now no way to obtain Windows Updates.

--
####################
## PH, London

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these questions.

Carey

> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
>>A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
>>(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
>>public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
>>perfectly.
>>
>> I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
>> Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
>> she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't
>> connect to a page.
>>
>> I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried
>> the address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS
>> problem. Still nothing.
>>
>> I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
>> neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!).
>> Still nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox
>> is working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I
>> thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
>> appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
>> Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via
>> LAN.
>>
>> It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
>> Alarm Free edition).
>>
>> I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt
>> a repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I haven't been able to get
> access to the machine as expected since my original post. I'll try the
> Winsock fix tool anyway - can't do any harm, although the fact that
> Firefox is working does suggest something above that layer. What I don't
> understand is how the problem can persist when I've uninstalled and
> reinstalled IE. Is my only option now a repair install of Windows ME? I
> don't want to leave the machine as it is as there is now no way to obtain
> Windows Updates.
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 11:51:05 AM

"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
> questions.
>
> Carey

Will do, and will report back. Having trouble finding a time when we're
both available at the same time though!

--
####################
## PH, London

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
which describes which OS's are supported?

The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).

Where are any other winsock fixes?

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
questions.

> Carey

<SNIP>
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 2:41:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

"N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1c5aeb1af32375b398a5dc@msnews.microsoft.com...
> In article <udWqC56$EHA.4092@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, oops!! says...
>
>> Download and run this Winsock fix tool...
>
> Just curious; should Firefox work with a broken Winsock?

I think it depends on how it is "broken". If it is malware deliberately
targeting IE or particular sites trying to be used by IE then Firefox
might be "allowed" through whatever interference is being created.

As a test for that case I'd be curious to know what happens if you use
Firefox's User-Agent override so its requests appear to come from IE?
<eg>

---
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:12:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm

Tip #3 has locations and descriptions.

Carey

news:o p3cCcvAFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
> http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
> which describes which OS's are supported?
>
> The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
>
> Where are any other winsock fixes?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
> questions.
>>
>> Carey
>>

> <SNIP>

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:21:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Don't know which stable it's from Jack, but a google search for 'WinsockFix'
finds various snippets - and info re- supported OS's
Try
http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/central/display/det...

Mart

news:o p3cCcvAFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
> http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
> which describes which OS's are supported?
>
> The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
>
> Where are any other winsock fixes?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
>> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
> questions.
>>
>> Carey
>>

> <SNIP>

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 7:56:29 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Clicking the "Info" button on that little program shows:

WinsockFix (Freeware)
By Option^Explicit Software Solutions
Currently Compatible with Windows 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP

But, of course, who the hell is Option^Explicit, hmm.... Jack?
;-))

Zee

"Mart" <mart(NoSpam)@nospam.com> wrote in message news:uQJpenvAFHA.3700@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Don't know which stable it's from Jack, but a google search for 'WinsockFix'
> finds various snippets - and info re- supported OS's
> Try
> http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/central/display/det...
>

> Mart
>

> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> news:o p3cCcvAFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
> > http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
> > which describes which OS's are supported?
> >
> > The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
> >
> > Where are any other winsock fixes?
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> >> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
> > questions.
> >>
> >> Carey
> >>

> > <SNIP>

Anonymous
January 25, 2005 8:00:14 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Jack,

Bookmark this page, it may be useful:

http://www.subratam.org/?page=removal

Zee

"Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message news:o p3cCcvAFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
> http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
> which describes which OS's are supported?
>
> The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
>
> Where are any other winsock fixes?
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> ------
> "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> > Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
> questions.
> >
> > Carey
> >

> <SNIP>

Anonymous
January 26, 2005 12:34:56 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Thanks to all who replied.
My intent was to better document these winsock fixes for our user community.

> www.careyholzman.com/netfixes.htm
>
> Tip #3 has locations and descriptions.
>
> Carey
>
> "Jack E Martinelli" <jemartin_DELETE@NO_SPAM_gis.net> wrote in message
> news:o p3cCcvAFHA.3336@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> > Where is the page associated with the ftp link,
> > http://downloads.subratam.org/WinsockFix.zip,
> > which describes which OS's are supported?
> >
> > The lack of documentation here is disturbing (to me).
> >
> > Where are any other winsock fixes?
> > --
> > Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
> > Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
> > Your cooperation is very appreciated.
> > ------
> > "Carey Holzman" <carey@careyholzman.com> wrote in message
> >> Run the winsock fix first... it may be the answer to all of these
> > questions.
> >>
> >> Carey
> >>

> > <SNIP>

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:04:12 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Thanks everyone who replied. I tried the Winsock fix, suggested by "oops!!"
and it worked instantly. I'm very surprised that Firefox was immune to this
problem. Everything is working well now, and I'm advising my friend to use
Firefox rather than IE for safety's sake.

--
####################
## PH, London
"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
>A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
>(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
>public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
>perfectly.
>
> I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
> Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search assistants"
> she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't
> connect to a page.
>
> I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried the
> address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
> Still nothing.
>
> I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
> neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!).
> Still nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox
> is working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I
> thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
> appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
> Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via
> LAN.
>
> It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
> Alarm Free edition).
>
> I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt a
> repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################
> Cross-posted to:
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
> microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,
> microsoft.public.windowsme.general, microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,
> microsoft.public.windowsme.networking

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 1:44:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Philip,

That is great!

The negative comments on my suggestion were probably caused by some lack of
experience of the posters with some spyware/malware, and the FACT that
Firefox is much less targeted than IE.

I must say that Robert Aldwinckle already pointed to that possibility in
this thread.

And, yes, I never stopped using Firefox from the first moment I tried it,
but remember you must keep IE for Windows Update.

Anyway, you're out of trouble and that is what really counts!

Cheers,

> Thanks everyone who replied. I tried the Winsock fix, suggested by
"oops!!"
> and it worked instantly. I'm very surprised that Firefox was immune to
this
> problem. Everything is working well now, and I'm advising my friend to
use
> Firefox rather than IE for safety's sake.
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################
> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> >A friend running Windows ME asked me to look at her machine because IE6
> >(SP1) wasn't working, although Outlook Express was. I found I could ping
> >public servers, and when I loaded Firefox on the machine that worked
> >perfectly.
> >
> > I used HijackThis, Process Explorer and AutoRuns (latter two from
> > Sysinternals.com) to remove all traces of the various "search
assistants"
> > she'd picked up, but even when they were all gone, IE still couldn't
> > connect to a page.
> >
> > I tried pinging a public website to get the IP address, and then tried
the
> > address http://212.58.224.85/ (BBC website) to rule out a DNS problem.
> > Still nothing.
> >
> > I uninstalled all IE patches, then IE6 to get back to IE5.5 (I think - I
> > neglected to check the version but it was certainly an earlier one!).
> > Still nothing. I then reinstalled IE6 from CD. Still nothing. Firefox
> > is working all this time. I've been through all the settings in IE I
> > thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
> > appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
> > Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect via
> > LAN.
> >
> > It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
> > Alarm Free edition).
> >
> > I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to attempt
> > repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > --
> > ####################
> > ## PH, London
> > ####################
> > Cross-posted to:
> > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
> > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,
> > microsoft.public.windowsme.general, microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,
> > microsoft.public.windowsme.networking

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:21:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Thanks, Zee, I'm grateful for your help!

It's intriguing that Firefox could continue while IE couldn't. I'd be
interested to understand what the Winsock repair tool is doing, and why the
problem doesn't affect Firefox.

--
####################
## PH, London
"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> > thought remotely relevant - she connects to cable via a USB modem which
>> > appears as a Network Adapter in Device Manager (rather than a modem) so
>> > Internet Options / Connections has the browser attempting to connect
>> > via
>> > LAN.
>> >
>> > It's not a firewall issue - I disabled it completely at one point (Zone
>> > Alarm Free edition).
>> >
>> > I'm now stumped. Without a better idea my next move would be to
>> > attempt
>> > repair installation of ME, but that seems a bit drastic.
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > --
>> > ####################
>> > ## PH, London
>> > ####################
>> > Cross-posted to:
>> > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,
>> > microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,

January 28, 2005 1:22:40 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Philip,

I would suggest googling for winsock and winsock fix, this will bring you numerous hits and you will easily understand the problem and the cure.

Interesting starting points:

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial59.html
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
http://www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.htm

Zee

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message news:%23erbArRBFHA.2572@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Thanks, Zee, I'm grateful for your help!
>
> It's intriguing that Firefox could continue while IE couldn't. I'd be
> interested to understand what the Winsock repair tool is doing, and why the
> problem doesn't affect Firefox.
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################
> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Philip,
> >
> > That is great!
> >
> > The negative comments on my suggestion were probably caused by some lack
> > of
> > experience of the posters with some spyware/malware, and the FACT that
> > Firefox is much less targeted than IE.
> >
> > I must say that Robert Aldwinckle already pointed to that possibility in
> > this thread.
> >
> > And, yes, I never stopped using Firefox from the first moment I tried it,
> > but remember you must keep IE for Windows Update.
> >
> > Anyway, you're out of trouble and that is what really counts!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Zee
> >

> > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks everyone who replied. I tried the Winsock fix, suggested by
> > "oops!!"
> >> and it worked instantly. I'm very surprised that Firefox was immune to
> > this
> >> problem. Everything is working well now, and I'm advising my friend to
> > use
> >> Firefox rather than IE for safety's sake.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ####################
> >> ## PH, London
> >> ####################
> >> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message

> > assistants"

> > the

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 7:41:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Excellent - thanks again!

--
####################
## PH, London
"oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:o mIhzNSBFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

Philip,

I would suggest googling for winsock and winsock fix, this will bring you
numerous hits and you will easily understand the problem and the cure.

Interesting starting points:

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial59.html
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
http://www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.htm

Zee

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> Thanks, Zee, I'm grateful for your help!
>
> It's intriguing that Firefox could continue while IE couldn't. I'd be
> interested to understand what the Winsock repair tool is doing, and why
> the
> problem doesn't affect Firefox.
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################
> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> > Philip,
> >
> > That is great!
> >
> > The negative comments on my suggestion were probably caused by some lack
> > of
> > experience of the posters with some spyware/malware, and the FACT that
> > Firefox is much less targeted than IE.
> >
> > I must say that Robert Aldwinckle already pointed to that possibility in
> > this thread.
> >
> > And, yes, I never stopped using Firefox from the first moment I tried
> > it,
> > but remember you must keep IE for Windows Update.
> >
> > Anyway, you're out of trouble and that is what really counts!
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Zee
> >

> > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> >> Thanks everyone who replied. I tried the Winsock fix, suggested by
> > "oops!!"
> >> and it worked instantly. I'm very surprised that Firefox was immune to
> > this
> >> problem. Everything is working well now, and I'm advising my friend to
> > use
> >> Firefox rather than IE for safety's sake.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ####################
> >> ## PH, London
> >> ####################
> >> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message

> > assistants"

> > the

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:06:06 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the
business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.

Ant thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

Geoff

--
Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line
> Excellent - thanks again!
>
> --
> ####################
> ## PH, London
> ####################
> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:o mIhzNSBFHA.2180@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>
> Philip,
>
> I would suggest googling for winsock and winsock fix, this will bring you
> numerous hits and you will easily understand the problem and the cure.
>
> Interesting starting points:
>
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial59.html
> http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
> http://www.compu-docs.com/winsock9x.htm
>
> Zee
>

> "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Zee, I'm grateful for your help!
>>
>> It's intriguing that Firefox could continue while IE couldn't. I'd be
>> interested to understand what the Winsock repair tool is doing, and why
>> the
>> problem doesn't affect Firefox.
>>
>> --
>> ####################
>> ## PH, London
>> ####################
>> "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> > Philip,
>> >
>> > That is great!
>> >
>> > The negative comments on my suggestion were probably caused by some
>> > lack
>> > of
>> > experience of the posters with some spyware/malware, and the FACT that
>> > Firefox is much less targeted than IE.
>> >
>> > I must say that Robert Aldwinckle already pointed to that possibility
>> > in
>> > this thread.
>> >
>> > And, yes, I never stopped using Firefox from the first moment I tried
>> > it,
>> > but remember you must keep IE for Windows Update.
>> >
>> > Anyway, you're out of trouble and that is what really counts!
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Zee
>> >

>> > "Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
>> > "oops!!"
>> > this
>> > use

>> > assistants"

>> > the

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 6:06:07 PM

"geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the
> business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
>
> Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
>
> TIA
>
> Geoff

Since you're using WinXP SP2, go to Start | Run and type
netsh winsock reset

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Tried that but sadly it wont work.

Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?

thanks

Geoff

--
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the
>> business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
>>
>> Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Geoff
>
> Since you're using WinXP SP2, go to Start | Run and type
> netsh winsock reset
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

February 3, 2005 9:44:24 PM

> Tried that but sadly it wont work.
>
> Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
>
> thanks
>
> Geoff

You can't uninstall IE.
Uninstall SP2 and reinstall that.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Download and run HiJackThis from
http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html

Copy and paste the results of the scan into the HiJackThis on-line analyzer
at:
http://www.hijackthis.de/

And remove items it recommends.

Carey

"geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Tried that but sadly it wont work.
>
> Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
>
> thanks
>
> Geoff
>
> --
> Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the
>>> business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
>>>
>>> Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>
>>> Geoff
>>
>> Since you're using WinXP SP2, go to Start | Run and type
>> netsh winsock reset
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>> http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> Protect your PC
>> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...
>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

Anonymous
February 3, 2005 10:51:11 PM

message news:o 6AmOFkCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Tried that but sadly it wont work.
>>
>> Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> Geoff
>
> You can't uninstall IE.
> Uninstall SP2 and reinstall that.

Do the reinstall with your anti-virus turned off.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

Cant do that as my OS = Win XP comes with SP 2 installed!

Geoff

--
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
> message news:o 6AmOFkCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
>> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> Tried that but sadly it wont work.
>>>
>>> Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> Geoff
>>
>> You can't uninstall IE.
>> Uninstall SP2 and reinstall that.
>
> Do the reinstall with your anti-virus turned off.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
> http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...

February 4, 2005 12:01:24 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

One of the earlier methods here should work:
How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and Outlook Express in Windows
XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=318378
Make sure your anti-virus is turned off.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> Cant do that as my OS = Win XP comes with SP 2 installed!
>
> Geoff
>
>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
>> message news:o 6AmOFkCFHA.4052@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl
>>> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>>> You can't uninstall IE.
>>> Uninstall SP2 and reinstall that.
>>
>> Do the reinstall with your anti-virus turned off.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
Anonymous
February 15, 2005 5:58:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

"geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
>
> Ant thoughts would be appreciated.

It may help to post a link to it? <eg>

---
Anonymous
February 18, 2005 2:32:08 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.browser,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.setup,microsoft.public.windowsme.general,microsoft.public.windowsme.internet,microsoft.public.windowsme.networking (More info?)

That site can get less knowledgeable users into trouble. Best to post
the issue to a reputable spyware forum. Read the guidelines of the one
you choose prior to posting the Hijack This log :

http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=3...
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=3ce3e4c...
http://computercops.biz/forum67.html

MowGreen [MVP]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Carey Holzman wrote:
> Download and run HiJackThis from
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/hijackthis.html
>
> Copy and paste the results of the scan into the HiJackThis on-line analyzer
> at:
> http://www.hijackthis.de/
>
> And remove items it recommends.
>
> Carey
>
> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>
>>Tried that but sadly it wont work.
>>
>>Is there a safe way to uninstall & re-install IE6?
>>
>>thanks
>>
>>Geoff
>>
>>--
>>Genuine personal replies please remove Z from address line
>>"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>
>>>"geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>>>Since you're using WinXP SP2, go to Start | Run and type
>>>netsh winsock reset
>>>
>>>--
>>>Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>>>Please respond in Newsgroup only. Do not send email
>>>http://www.fjsmjs.com
>>>Protect your PC
>>>http://www.microsoft.com./athome/security/protect/defau...
>>>http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/

Anonymous
March 14, 2005 2:16:23 AM

Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
>>
>>Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
>

> It may help to post a link to it? <eg>
>

> ---

I only keep IE as the MS update tool. But to answer the
question, I use Ad-Aware and Spybot to remove or disable any
spyware/hijackers. Specifically Gain/Gator. An alternate
approach is to find out what Spyware these detect, and then
specifically deny these access in your firewall - This works
for GAIN. Others will need to be disabled in startup, then
removed from system or registry database (very messy).

--
Lester Stiefel
In Romans 1 there are qualities of Unregenerate man listed

> "geoffatmhg" <hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>I have exactly the same problem except for me winsockfix didnt do the business. See my post " I am completely baffled". Feb 3rd.
>>
>> Ant thoughts would be appreciated.
>

> It may help to post a link to it? <eg>

My comment was almost too cryptic for me <g>

In case the "baffled" post had propagated to Google Groups
in the meantime I repeated a search for it today and still found
only this thread:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=author%3Ahassypo...

(Google Groups search for
author:hassypoo-divertz@btinternet.com OR geoffatmhg baffled
)

So, either this poster used yet another alias to post in some unknown
thread of "baffled" posts or he didn't use that word in the post he was
asking us to refer to or his posting was a figment of his imagination!
Etc.

Does anyone think this could this be "Jason Sobol" getting confused
about his "wheel spin" problem?

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?as_q=&num=20&scori...

(Google Groups search for
insubject:baffled