Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 from windows update

I am using windows ME and I tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework
version 1.1 from the windows update.
The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have tried
to re-install it numerous times but without success.
When I do try to re-install it the file is not downloaded again. Obviously
the file is stored somewhere so when I go to windows update to re-install it
the download is bypassed.

How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something else I
should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?

Thanks for any help
Fred
13 answers Last reply
More about microsoft framework version windows update

    If you're running Norton Software, try running the .NET installer while in
    Safe Mode

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "Fred" <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote in message
    >I am using windows ME and I tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > version 1.1 from the windows update.
    > The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have tried
    > to re-install it numerous times but without success.
    > When I do try to re-install it the file is not downloaded again. Obviously
    > the file is stored somewhere so when I go to windows update to re-install
    > it
    > the download is bypassed.
    >
    > How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something else I
    > should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Fred

    Fred,

    Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files. Control Panel | Internet
    Options | General | Delete Files and make sure to check the box to Delete
    all offline content.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Fred <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote:

    > I am using windows ME and I tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > version 1.1 from the windows update.
    > The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have
    > tried to re-install it numerous times but without success.
    > When I do try to re-install it the file is not downloaded again.
    > Obviously the file is stored somewhere so when I go to windows update
    > to re-install it the download is bypassed.
    >
    > How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something
    > else I should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?
    >
    > Thanks for any help

    "Fred" <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote in

    > The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have
    > tried to re-install it numerous times but without success.

    > How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something
    > else I should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?

    Unless you have a piece of software or driver that specifically requires
    ..NET don't bother with it.

    Rick

    Fred,

    Do you see a MSI dialog saying “Internal Error 2908.”?

    Later do you see another dialog that says “Error 1935. An error occurred
    during the installation of component xxxx. HRESULT: -2147319761”?

    Rename C:\windows\system\mscoree.dll to mscoree.old and try the re-install.
    That usually does the trick.

    Zee

    "Fred" <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote in message
    > I am using windows ME and I tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > version 1.1 from the windows update.
    > The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have tried
    > to re-install it numerous times but without success.
    > When I do try to re-install it the file is not downloaded again. Obviously
    > the file is stored somewhere so when I go to windows update to re-install
    it
    > the download is bypassed.
    >
    > How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something else I
    > should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Fred

    Thanks Noel but my internet explorer doesn't work in safe mode so I can't
    get access to windows update.
    How do I run the .NET installer without access to windows update?

    Thanks Fred.

    > If you're running Norton Software, try running the .NET installer while in
    > Safe Mode
    >
    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "Fred" <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote in message
    > >I am using windows ME and I tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > > version 1.1 from the windows update.
    > > The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have
    tried
    > > to re-install it numerous times but without success.
    > > When I do try to re-install it the file is not downloaded again.
    Obviously
    > > the file is stored somewhere so when I go to windows update to
    re-install
    > > it
    > > the download is bypassed.
    > >
    > > How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something else
    > > should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help
    > > Fred

    Thanks for info Mike but that doesn't work. I deleted the files with the
    "Delete all offline content" checked but when I tried to reinstall from
    windows update the file download was still bypassed. The file was not
    downloaded. Any other suggestions?

    Thanks
    Fred

    > Fred,
    >
    > Try clearing your Temporary Internet Files. Control Panel | Internet
    > Options | General | Delete Files and make sure to check the box to Delete
    > all offline content.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Fred <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote:
    >
    > > I am using windows ME and I tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > > version 1.1 from the windows update.
    > > The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have
    > > tried to re-install it numerous times but without success.
    > > When I do try to re-install it the file is not downloaded again.
    > > Obviously the file is stored somewhere so when I go to windows update
    > > to re-install it the download is bypassed.
    > >
    > > How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something
    > > else I should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help

    In which case download .NET 1.1 from the Windows Update Catalog to a
    location of your own choosing and then install it.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Fred <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote:

    > Thanks for info Mike but that doesn't work. I deleted the files with
    > the "Delete all offline content" checked but when I tried to
    > reinstall from windows update the file download was still bypassed.
    > The file was not downloaded. Any other suggestions?

    Thanks for the response Zee but no I am not getting that error. The install
    comes back with:

    "The following items failed to install. To try installing them again, click
    Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again."

    No other error numbers come up.

    Fred

    "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Fred,
    >
    > Do you see a MSI dialog saying "Internal Error 2908."?
    >
    > Later do you see another dialog that says "Error 1935. An error occurred
    > during the installation of component xxxx. HRESULT: -2147319761"?
    >
    > Rename C:\windows\system\mscoree.dll to mscoree.old and try the
    re-install.
    > That usually does the trick.
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "Fred" <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote in message
    > > I am using windows ME and I tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > > version 1.1 from the windows update.
    > > The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have
    tried
    > > to re-install it numerous times but without success.
    > > When I do try to re-install it the file is not downloaded again.
    Obviously
    > > the file is stored somewhere so when I go to windows update to
    re-install
    > it
    > > the download is bypassed.
    > >
    > > How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something else
    > > should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any help
    > > Fred

    Fred,

    I would try the rename anyway as that will force a fresh reinstall.

    Usually that works around the problem.

    Zee

    > Thanks for the response Zee but no I am not getting that error. The
    install
    > comes back with:
    >
    > "The following items failed to install. To try installing them again,
    click
    > Review and install updates, and then click Install Now again."
    >
    > No other error numbers come up.
    >
    > Fred
    >
    > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Fred,
    > >
    > > Do you see a MSI dialog saying "Internal Error 2908."?
    > >
    > > Later do you see another dialog that says "Error 1935. An error occurred
    > > during the installation of component xxxx. HRESULT: -2147319761"?
    > >
    > > Rename C:\windows\system\mscoree.dll to mscoree.old and try the
    > re-install.
    > > That usually does the trick.
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "Fred" <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote in message
    > > > I am using windows ME and I tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > > > version 1.1 from the windows update.
    > > > The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have
    > tried
    > > > to re-install it numerous times but without success.
    > > > When I do try to re-install it the file is not downloaded again.
    > Obviously
    > > > the file is stored somewhere so when I go to windows update to
    > re-install
    > > it
    > > > the download is bypassed.
    > > >
    > > > How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something
    else
    > > > should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks for any help
    > > > Fred

    Thanks Mike. I downloaded the redistribution version and that installed OK.

    Fred

    > In which case download .NET 1.1 from the Windows Update Catalog to a
    > location of your own choosing and then install it.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > Fred <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for info Mike but that doesn't work. I deleted the files with
    > > the "Delete all offline content" checked but when I tried to
    > > reinstall from windows update the file download was still bypassed.
    > > The file was not downloaded. Any other suggestions?

    Thanks for the feedback. Pleased to read you've now managed to download
    and install it OK.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Fred <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote:

    > Thanks Mike. I downloaded the redistribution version and that
    > installed OK.

    "Fred" <nothanks@trysomeoneelse> wrote in message
    > I am using windows ME and I tried to download Microsoft .NET Framework
    > version 1.1 from the windows update.
    > The 23MB file seemed to download OK but it failed to install. I have tried
    > to re-install it numerous times but without success.
    > When I do try to re-install it the file is not downloaded again. Obviously
    > the file is stored somewhere so when I go to windows update to re-install
    it
    > the download is bypassed.
    >
    > How can I make my PC download the file again or is there something else I
    > should try in order to get the .NET Framework installed?

    Open question...does the average user really need to install this ?

    Nomad <doesntwork@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > Open question...does the average user really need to install this ?

    Probably not but newer software is going to start to expect the .NET
    framework to be present although I suspect this will be more of a concern
    for those running XP.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

Download Windows Update Microsoft Windows