Spyware is prohibiting me from auto-updating my Microsoft ..

Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
(spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
(people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm smart)

Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90% slowdown
on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.

Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.

However, that does not fix it.

Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.

As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it - but
does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?

Thanks in advance.

mr curious
31 answers Last reply
More about spyware prohibiting auto updating microsoft
  1. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm
    > smart)
    >
    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%
    > slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    >
    > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    >
    > However, that does not fix it.
    >
    > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    >
    > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it -
    > but
    > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > mr curious

    Windows Update Fails:
    Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
    OK. (do each one line at a time)
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
    REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
    Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
    Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update .
    This would be on ports 80 and 443.
    http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp
    If no joy - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/
    Windows Update Checklist
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm
    This newsgroup is read by MS staff:
    WinXP:
    You receive error message 0x80070003 when you try to update Windows from the
    Windows Update Web site:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836949

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I
    > am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm
    > smart)

    Do you feel that your inability to spell big words like "eradicate"
    properly undermines the point you were trying to make, or was your point
    actually that you aren't "computer savvy enough to know about safe mode
    and stuff?"

    Just wondering,
    Ian.
  3. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm
    > smart)
    >
    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%
    > slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    >
    > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    >
    > However, that does not fix it.
    >
    > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    >
    > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it -
    > but
    > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > mr curious

    Courtesy Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE:

    Download "Hijack This!" [freeware]

    Unzip, double-click "HijackThis.exe" and Press "Scan".

    When the scan is finished, the "Scan" button will change into a "Save Log"
    button.
    Click: "Save Log" (generates: "hijackthis.log")

    Next, go to the below location:
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/

    Sign in, go to the "Spyware and Hijackware Removal" section.
    Press "New Topic", copy and paste hijackthis.log, into your new message.

    --
    Regards Steve.
    MS-MVP. IE/OE.

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> squirted these wordjisms deep
    inside the bumtube of the newstwat in

    > I have some nasty version of spyware ............. irradicate ......
    Please, I'm smart

    *eradicate*

    --
    *********************************
    > David Qunt

  5. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    ....... spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that
    ......I'm smart)

    Perhaps your cesium pit's half-life has accelerated a bit and lost its
    'punch' - or you intended to use 'eradicate,' in which case your cesium is
    probably just peachy.

    Either way, we are in agreement. You are the smarty!

    CS
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "David Qunt" <davidqunt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> squirted these wordjisms deep
    > inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
    >
    >> I have some nasty version of spyware ............. irradicate ......
    > Please, I'm smart
    >
    > *eradicate*

    Do you talk to yourself often?

    Newsgroups: alt.sports.football.pro.phila-eagles
    From: "ng_reader" <wilgrow...@hotmail.com> -
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    " mac" <macknever@fsmail.net> wrote in message

    > "David Qunt" <davidqunt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> squirted these wordjisms deep
    >> inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
    >>
    >>> I have some nasty version of spyware ............. irradicate ......
    >> Please, I'm smart
    >>
    >> *eradicate*
    >
    > Do you talk to yourself often?

    Not the same person.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware
    programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to
    irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I
    am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm
    smart)

    With an explanation like that, you may want to step off your high horse
    and realize that *you* are no where as *smart* as you think.
    How would one infer from your mis-spelling that you are computer savvey?
    A lot of the spyware programs isolate and/or eradicate found problems.
    It would be more logical to "ass u me" that you installed said programs
    after the fact. But I'll pretend to buy your declaration and assert that
    now would be the time to use your Backups, WinMe install disk, and the
    security updates disk (Feb 04) modified with current updates, to wipe
    and freshen your system.
    Have fun.

    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%
    slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    >
    > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    >
    > However, that does not fix it.
    >
    > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    >
    > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix
    it - but
    > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?

    Only the operator's habits and failure to protect his system.

    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > mr curious

  9. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    'savvey?'.........'irradicate?'............seems the spell checkers have
    been attacked by this invader of bits and bytes. Now to the serious part:
    With regard to your slowdown, get a good process viewer, there are a number
    of excellent free ones available, i.e. Process Explorer (new version
    released recently), from www.sysinternals.com . When things begin coming
    to a 'grind', use the process viewer to determine what is eating your cpu
    cycles. This particular viewer will show you ALL running processes and the
    amount of cpu cycles, in percent and real time, used by each. This should
    help you narrow down the culprit.
    Heirloom, old and can't spell aytnihng

    "Billy" <Noone@home.spamnet> wrote in message

    > "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware
    > programs
    > > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to
    > irradicate.
    > > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I
    > am
    > > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm
    > smart)
    >
    > With an explanation like that, you may want to step off your high horse
    > and realize that *you* are no where as *smart* as you think.
    > How would one infer from your mis-spelling that you are computer savvey?
    > A lot of the spyware programs isolate and/or eradicate found problems.
    > It would be more logical to "ass u me" that you installed said programs
    > after the fact. But I'll pretend to buy your declaration and assert that
    > now would be the time to use your Backups, WinMe install disk, and the
    > security updates disk (Feb 04) modified with current updates, to wipe
    > and freshen your system.
    > Have fun.
    >

    > > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%
    > slowdown
    > > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    > >
    > > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    > >
    > > However, that does not fix it.
    > >
    > > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    > >
    > > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix
    > it - but
    > > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?
    >
    > Only the operator's habits and failure to protect his system.
    >

    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > mr curious

  10. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    > (people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
    > computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm
    smart)

    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%
    slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    >
    > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    >
    > However, that does not fix it.
    >
    > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    >
    > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it -
    but
    > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > mr curious

    I recommend running TaskInfo. Run this while you are experiencing the
    pop-ups and/or your system is slowing down. TaskInfo will show you what
    processes are running, associated files and modules, and folder/file paths.
    It can also terminate processes, and you can watch a cpu usage graph which
    will show you changes in cpu usage as you are terminating different
    programs. It's very easy to use, and of all the free/free trial process
    explorers I've tried, this one is my favorite.
    http://www.iarsn.com/taskinfo.html

    --Mike
  11. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ng_reader wrote:
    > I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    > (spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.

    <slash>

    > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90% slowdown
    > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.

    What kind of popups, any specific sites?

    When you get a "slowdown" what does TaskManager say is running.

    Rick

    follow-ups to m.p.w.general
  12. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Billy" <Noone@home.spamnet> wrote in message

    > "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > > Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90%
    > slowdown
    > > on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.
    > >
    > > Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    > > Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.
    > >
    > > However, that does not fix it.
    > >
    > > Anyone else in the same dilemma? It's especially frustrating.
    > >
    > > As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system. I
    > > realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix
    > it - but
    > > does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?
    >
    > Only the operator's habits and failure to protect his system.

    Not necessarily. About the time that WinXP Service Pack 2 was released, my
    Windows Update function stopped working entirely. I have always manually
    logged into the update site (auto-update is turned off), run the scan, and
    installed any critical patches. Now, whenever I run the scan, I get nothing
    but an error message that says that the update site is busy. I have not
    been able to figure this one out. My system is completely clean, and I am
    running a store-bought version of WinXP.

    --Mike
  13. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "--Mike" <mjsuhm@zzexecpc.com> wrote in message

    > Not necessarily. About the time that WinXP Service Pack 2 was released,
    > my
    > Windows Update function stopped working entirely. I have always manually
    > logged into the update site (auto-update is turned off), run the scan, and
    > installed any critical patches. Now, whenever I run the scan, I get
    > nothing
    > but an error message that says that the update site is busy. I have not
    > been able to figure this one out. My system is completely clean, and I am
    > running a store-bought version of WinXP.

    Dunno if this is same problem but since I installed SP2, I can't log into
    Windows Update through standard programme, I just get to "Checking for the
    latest version of the Windows Update software..." and nothing happens.

    Posted this various places around usenet and never got a solution but
    messing about, I found the answer by accident. The standard update programme
    takes you ( or me anyway!) to
    http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us

    If I go to the secure version of the above site by addding 's' to the http
    prefix, it works fine.

    Strangely enough, I have Auto Update turned on and that works fine.
  14. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 14:27:21 -0500, "ng_reader"

    >I have some nasty version of spyware that all the free spyware programs
    >(spybot, adaware, cwshredder, spyware-blaster) can't seem to irradicate.
    >(people, if I'm using big words like irradicate - please accept that I am
    >computer savvy enough to know about safe mode and stuff. Please, I'm smart)

    I'd guess you're a programmer, too. That combination of
    self-confidence plus errors is classic, and no amount of hard lessons
    (such as incessent patching to ERradicate errors) seems to fix :-)

    First thing I'd do is widen your scope. You suspect commercial
    malware ("spyware"), but have no reason to exclude traditional malware
    (virus/worm/trojan) from the possible causes.

    So I'd start by doing a formal virus scan. If NTFS, well... do the
    best you can using Bart's PE, Trend's SysClean, Avast's free scanner,
    Stinger etc. and then repear AdAware, Spybot etc. from Safe Mode
    command Prompt Only. If FATxx, you can formally scan from a DOS mode
    boot diskette using DOS-based av from F-Prot, Sophos or NOD32.

    Having excluded <cough> traditional malware and the easy commercial
    malware, I'd go on to CWSShredder, then start with the manual tools:
    - HiJackThis for a basic overview
    - ADS Spy to view Alternate Data Streams
    - Shell Extension Viewer for shell integrations

    Those are the crucials; you can add BHO Lister, LSP Fix, other Startup
    listers, TDS3 etc. to taste. You could use AdAware's ADS plug-in
    instead of ADS Spy, but it's more likely to be blocked or crunched if
    the malware is active, and that's likely if it's smart enough to ADS.

    >Perhaps the biggest problem (aside from incessant pop-ups and a 90% slowdown
    >on CPU) is that my windows update mechanism is not working.

    Yup - which also points more towards traditional rather than
    commercial malware. A "legit" commercial software vendor would have
    difficulty explaining why thier sware clobbers Windows Update, y'see.

    >Microsoft asks me to follow a knowledge base under article Microsoft
    >Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q174360.

    What, fiddle with security zones? Worth doing, but I don't see that
    magicking away active malware, somehow.

    >As I am posting this to WindowsME NG, that is the operating system.

    Oops, for some reason I thought you were on XP; sorry. WinME's no
    cursed with NTFS, so start with those formal virus scans from DOS mode
    diskette. I'd use a Win98SE EBD tho, and I'd custom it a bit (bigger
    RAM Disk, Set Temp to use the RAM disk, etc.)

    Other slowdown factors include SR, if you have multiple HD volumes
    especially (WinME stores all SR data on C:, so lots of operations on
    other volumes trigger nice fat data transfers to C:) and retries on
    sick HDs (the mouse pointer will stick and HD LED will be on).

    >realize it's going on 5 years old, but as it's not broken don't fix it

    IE's broken, so fix that ideally to IE 6 SP1

    http://cquirke.mvps.org.9x/mimehole.htm

    If you used "as fit to ship" IE 5.5 SP0 for web mail, or with OE or
    Outbreak, then you're more likely to have an email-bourne
    MIME-spoofing virus by now, that anything else.

    >- but does anyone believe that has anything to do with anything?

    Well yes; it means I don't have to talk about patching RPC or LSASS
    holes, firewalls etc. and do have to talk about MIME-spoofing :-)

    Trsut me, I won't make a mistake!
  15. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Chris - have you used AdAware's ADS scanner? - opinions?

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "cquirke (MVP Win9x)" <cquirkenews@nospam.mvps.org> wrote in message
    > So I'd start by doing a formal virus scan. If NTFS, well... do the
    > best you can using Bart's PE, Trend's SysClean, Avast's free scanner,
    > Stinger etc. and then repear AdAware, Spybot etc. from Safe Mode
    > command Prompt Only. If FATxx, you can formally scan from a DOS mode
    > boot diskette using DOS-based av from F-Prot, Sophos or NOD32.
    >
    > Having excluded <cough> traditional malware and the easy commercial
    > malware, I'd go on to CWSShredder, then start with the manual tools:
    > - HiJackThis for a basic overview
    > - ADS Spy to view Alternate Data Streams
    > - Shell Extension Viewer for shell integrations
  16. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Bollocks, that's egg-xactly what I was going to say.

    ++

    Awesome stuff, all. I feel a little embarrased by my OP, however I think the
    slow down thing has to do with some kind of file running in case my machine
    croaks, I can go back to a safer version of windows.

    PC State Process or something other.

    ++

    No, I'm a salesman.

    +

    And I want the Eagles to go to the Super-Duper bowl.

    --

    Other than that, I'll check on the other aps and such. Glad you all read
    it, but more glad you responded.

    > Bol*ocks, that's egg-xactly what I was going to say.

    <snip>

    I will tell you one thing ng_reader, I attempted to assist you originally.

    Your cross posting has caused me more upset in 4 hours than I have had in 6
    years!!

    So who was this comment aimed at? Since you snipped all"!!

    > Bol*ocks, that's egg-xactly what I was going to say.

    --
    Regards Steve.
    MS-MVP. IE/OE.
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    > > Bol*ocks, that's egg-xactly what I was going to say.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > I will tell you one thing ng_reader, I attempted to assist you originally.
    >
    > Your cross posting has caused me more upset in 4 hours than I have had in
    6
    > years!!
    >
    > So who was this comment aimed at? Since you snipped all"!!
    >
    > > Bol*ocks, that's egg-xactly what I was going to say.
    >
    > --
    > Regards Steve.
    > MS-MVP. IE/OE.

    My bad, Steve.

    To answer your question, no one in particular.

    Wanted to thank the truly smart people who did respond with answers.

    I know cross-posting is a no-no.

    I re-read your postings. You'd like me to post my spy-ware log on the
    Internet. OK. Let's put that in the *maybe* file.

    Cheerio, mate.
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    ng_reader wrote:

    > My bad, Steve.
    >
    > To answer your question, no one in particular.

    Your reply was to Chris Quirke, MS MVP.

    > I know cross-posting is a no-no.

    Pick your eggheads and stick with them.

    > I re-read your postings. You'd like me to post my spy-ware log on the
    > Internet. OK. Let's put that in the *maybe* file.

    I personally would rather you didn't, but the person who requested is
    alot further up the "food chain" (another MS MVP).

    Rick
    reading/posting on msnews server

    followup to m.p.wme.general
  20. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "David Qunt" <davidqunt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> squirted these wordjisms deep
    > inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
    >
    >> I have some nasty version of spyware ............. irradicate
    > Please, I'm smart
    >
    > *eradicate*

    Irradicate is a perfectly valid word, it means to root deeply, isn't
    that what he meant?

    cmsix

    > --
    > *********************************
    >> David Qunt

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > I re-read your postings. You'd like me to post my spy-ware log on the
    > Internet. OK. Let's put that in the *maybe* file.
    >
    > Cheerio, mate.

    If you have a HijackThis log, post it to
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
    http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    In article <bFyId.2798$YD5.1@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Billy
    says...

    > How would one infer from your mis-spelling that you are computer savvey?

    It appears to be less a matter of misspelling than of misusing a properly
    spelled word. "Irradicate" seems to be valid, if used in the proper context.
    My spell checker doesn't seem to choke on it, anyway; as it did when I
    copied your "mis-spelling". (That is probably more a matter of style,
    though.)

    --
    Norman
    ~Fin dein a loluca, En dragu a sei lain

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message

    [snip]

    > Windows Update Fails:
    > Click on START and the RUN put in each line seen below and clicked on
    > OK. (do each one line at a time)
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuapi.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuaueng.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\atl.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wucltui.dll
    > REGSVR32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\wups.dll
    > Disable your anti-virus when obtaining the updates.
    > Make sure that your firewall is allowing the connection to Windows Update
    ..
    > This would be on ports 80 and 443.

    Thanks for posting this info about the ports. I knew port 80 was allowed in
    my firewall, but it turned out that I had mistakenly blocked access to
    Generic Host Process for Win32 (through port 443). Allowing this process
    solved my Windows Update problem : ) Thanks again!

    --Mike
  24. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    > Thanks for posting this info about the ports. I knew port 80 was allowed
    > in
    > my firewall, but it turned out that I had mistakenly blocked access to
    > Generic Host Process for Win32 (through port 443). Allowing this process
    > solved my Windows Update problem : ) Thanks again!
    >
    > --Mike

    You're welcome. Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:33:07 -0000, "Noel Paton"

    >Chris - have you used AdAware's ADS scanner? - opinions?

    I have, yes; it's a nice adjunct to AdAware, but it editorializes (i.e
    as in keeping with AdAware's general purpose, it only alerts if it
    recognises a problem). So I don't think it replaces ADSSpy.

    I group my cleaning tools into 3 categories...
    - against traditional malware, preferably to be used formally
    - scans for known commercial malware
    - manual visualization tools e.g. HJT, ShellExView, LSPFix, ADSSpy
    ....and I apply these in that order.

    So AdAware's ADS is part of the second group, whereas I'd still want a
    non-editorializing ADS tool for the third group.

    ADSSpy is good, but has a blind spot; it refuses to run if C: is not
    NTFS. Doesn't matter how many other HD volumes are NTFS, even if you
    copy it to and run it from an NTFS non-C: volume, it won't run.

    So I still need a better ADS tool :-(

    >------------ ----- --- -- - - - -
    Things should be made as simple as possible,
    but no simpler - attrib. Albert Einstein
    >------------ ----- --- -- - - - -
  26. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Thanks.

    --

    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 00:33:07 -0000, "Noel Paton"
    >
    >>Chris - have you used AdAware's ADS scanner? - opinions?
    >
    > I have, yes; it's a nice adjunct to AdAware, but it editorializes (i.e
    > as in keeping with AdAware's general purpose, it only alerts if it
    > recognises a problem). So I don't think it replaces ADSSpy.
    >
    > I group my cleaning tools into 3 categories...
    > - against traditional malware, preferably to be used formally
    > - scans for known commercial malware
    > - manual visualization tools e.g. HJT, ShellExView, LSPFix, ADSSpy
    > ...and I apply these in that order.
    >
    > So AdAware's ADS is part of the second group, whereas I'd still want a
    > non-editorializing ADS tool for the third group.
    >
    > ADSSpy is good, but has a blind spot; it refuses to run if C: is not
    > NTFS. Doesn't matter how many other HD volumes are NTFS, even if you
    > copy it to and run it from an NTFS non-C: volume, it won't run.
    >
    > So I still need a better ADS tool :-(
    >

    >>------------ ----- --- -- - - - -
    > Things should be made as simple as possible,
    > but no simpler - attrib. Albert Einstein
    >>------------ ----- --- -- - - - -
  27. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:38:08 -0500, "ng_reader"

    >Bollocks, that's egg-xactly what I was going to say.

    ;-)

    >Awesome stuff, all. I feel a little embarrased by my OP, however I think the
    >slow down thing has to do with some kind of file running in case my machine
    >croaks, I can go back to a safer version of windows.

    Oh, that could be *statemgr (which does the SR and SFP half of what is
    glomped together as "PC Health") or the PC Health thingie that does
    the disposable PC Health fluff like building information lists for
    Hinderance and Sloth (sorry, "Help and Support").

    Clickfood:

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/winme.htm

    http://cquirke.mvps.org/9x/sr-sfp.htm

    As you can see, the latter focuses more on *statemgr and SR and SFP.
    I haven't had enough hassles with the "other half" of PC Health to get
    medieval on its ass, but others have, and have.

    >PC State Process or something other.

    Apparently on some PCs, the "other" PC Health thingie hangs around as
    a running task even when the PC is not idle, whereas it's supposed to
    pop up and go away if there's nothing to do. Ping WinME dudes like
    Noel and Mike Maltby for more on that stuff, or look on the web
    (www.aumha.org is a good starting point) for more.

    >No, I'm a salesman.

    O..K.. ;-)

    >And I want the Eagles to go to the Super-Duper bowl.

    I won't get into your wildlife toilet arrangements here...

    Trsut me, I won't make a mistake!
  28. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    What you're talking about there is winmgmnt, Chris

    This is the PCHealth Data Collection doo-dad, that every 10 minutes snatches
    a quick peek at the OS to see what state it's in, and record certain data.
    It's totally useless, since no-one outside MS knows how to read the
    collected data, and no-one inside MS has ever bothered to ask for it, AFAIK.
    The service needs to be stopped in two places (arguably in ALL machines
    running ME)

    1) by unchecking the PCHSCHD entry in MSCONFIG
    2) by disabling/deleting the PCHealth Data Collection entry in the Task
    Scheduler

    --

    > Apparently on some PCs, the "other" PC Health thingie hangs around as
    > a running task even when the PC is not idle, whereas it's supposed to
    > pop up and go away if there's nothing to do. Ping WinME dudes like
    > Noel and Mike Maltby for more on that stuff, or look on the web
    > (www.aumha.org is a good starting point) for more.
    >

    >>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    > Trsut me, I won't make a mistake!
    >>-------------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
  29. Archived from groups: 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.privacy.spyware,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> squirted these wordjisms deep inside the
    bumtube of the newstwat in news:UwEId.18696$wi2.1291
    @newssvr11.news.prodigy.com:

    > "David Qunt" <davidqunt@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> "ng_reader" <wilgrow_co@hotmail.com> squirted these wordjisms deep
    >> inside the bumtube of the newstwat in
    >>
    >>> I have some nasty version of spyware ............. irradicate
    >> Please, I'm smart
    >>
    >> *eradicate*
    >
    > Irradicate is a perfectly valid word, it means to root deeply, isn't
    > that what he meant?
    >
    > cmsix
    >

    >> --
    >> *********************************
    >>> David Qunt

    I don't think so - I understood him/her to mean 'get rid of', as in
    'eradicate'.

    --
    *********************************
    > David Qunt

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "N. Miller" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > In article <bFyId.2798$YD5.1@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net>, Billy
    > says...
    >
    >> How would one infer from your mis-spelling that you are computer savvey?
    >
    > It appears to be less a matter of misspelling than of misusing a properly
    > spelled word. "Irradicate" seems to be valid, if used in the proper
    > context.
    > My spell checker doesn't seem to choke on it, anyway; as it did when I
    > copied your "mis-spelling". (That is probably more a matter of style,
    > though.)
    >
    > --
    > Norman

    Style and the fact that spelling checkers are all stupid.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    [Followup set to WinME General.]

    When all else fails, HijackThis
    (http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/hijackthis.zip) is the preferred tool to
    use. It will help you to both identify and remove any hijackware/spyware.
    **Post your files to http://forums.spywareinfo.com/,
    http://castlecops.com/forum67.html or
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
    MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE)

    ng_reader wrote:
    > I re-read your postings. You'd like me to post my spy-ware log on the
    > Internet. OK. Let's put that in the *maybe* file.

Microsoft Spyware Windows