System Restore Problem

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 23, 2005 10:19:40 PM

How come when i set a restore point and go back into SR it's there until i
go into a reboot. All that is present is just one system check point on the
last reboot, all others dissappeared. Last night i set three different
restore points, went there this morning all were gone? I set a few more
today, reboot, gone? I checked the SMGR.DLL, version 4.90.0.3003, statmgr
is checked in startup. This is/was a fresh clean instal about a month or so
ago, has all the latest updates? Luckly i never needed it, but if i did/do
im in trouble? Any help would sure be appreciated, thanks!

More about : system restore problem

Anonymous
January 23, 2005 10:46:18 PM

What non-Microsoft applications have you installed, especially "tools" and
other clean up applications? What applications and tools do you have
being launched each time you boot your system? Using MSConfig | Startup
or System Information | Software Environment | Startup Programs will help
you here.

Are you multi-booting by any chance, and if so how many partitions do you
have and can the different systems "see" each other?
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

wopper <wopper@home.dot> wrote:

> How come when i set a restore point and go back into SR it's there
> until i go into a reboot. All that is present is just one system
> check point on the last reboot, all others dissappeared. Last night i
> set three different restore points, went there this morning all were
> gone? I set a few more today, reboot, gone? I checked the SMGR.DLL,
> version 4.90.0.3003, statmgr is checked in startup. This is/was a
> fresh clean instal about a month or so ago, has all the latest
> updates? Luckly i never needed it, but if i did/do im in trouble? Any
> help would sure be appreciated, thanks!
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 11:32:32 PM

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in

> What non-Microsoft applications have you installed, especially "tools"
> and other clean up applications? What applications and tools do you
> have being launched each time you boot your system? Using MSConfig |
> Startup or System Information | Software Environment | Startup
> Programs will help you here.
>
> Are you multi-booting by any chance, and if so how many partitions do
> you have and can the different systems "see" each other?

thank Mike for your speedy reply! In start-ups i have running
scanregistry, systemtray
loadpowerprofile
avg7_cc
avg7_ec
avg7_amsvr
statmgr
memturbo
Clean-up programs i have that don't run even in background are:
ad-adware6
a2StartCenter
PCbugdoctor
Spybot
WindowWasher
Ontrack Fix-it
SpyKiller
My system disk restore space is set at max, 736mb. I'm not multi-booting,
no drive partitions, boot drive is 6.5gb. I still have 3.7gb free disk
space. I do have a 30gb removeable HD, but that has no influence on the
problem if/or not installed? This problem was here I noticed really a few
days after install, I guess I payed more attention last night because I
instaled Norton Ultilities and set a restore point before. Basicly I had
all these programs on my old win98, and all ran like silk? I also run all
these on my XP PC with no problems, can't help it, other than this
problem I still favor ME the most, maybe because of DOS?
January 23, 2005 11:48:45 PM

Several possibilities there. You do seem to like snake oil though by
using products such as memturbo. :-)
One of the following is likely to be what is wiping out your system
restore checkpoints as part of its "cleaning" process:
> a2StartCenter
> PCbugdoctor
> WindowWasher
> Ontrack Fix-it
> SpyKiller

I'd probably start by disabling, temporarily at least, WindowWasher and if
that doesn't solve the problem move on to one of the others of those I
suggest you check out.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

wopper <wopper@home.dot> wrote:

> thank Mike for your speedy reply! In start-ups i have running
> scanregistry, systemtray
> loadpowerprofile
> avg7_cc
> avg7_ec
> avg7_amsvr
> statmgr
> memturbo
> Clean-up programs i have that don't run even in background are:
> ad-adware6
> a2StartCenter
> PCbugdoctor
> Spybot
> WindowWasher
> Ontrack Fix-it
> SpyKiller
> My system disk restore space is set at max, 736mb. I'm not
> multi-booting, no drive partitions, boot drive is 6.5gb. I still have
> 3.7gb free disk space. I do have a 30gb removeable HD, but that has
> no influence on the problem if/or not installed? This problem was
> here I noticed really a few days after install, I guess I payed more
> attention last night because I instaled Norton Ultilities and set a
> restore point before. Basicly I had all these programs on my old
> win98, and all ran like silk? I also run all these on my XP PC with
> no problems, can't help it, other than this problem I still favor ME
> the most, maybe because of DOS?
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 11:48:46 PM

Mike M wrote:
> Several possibilities there. You do seem to like snake oil though by
> using products such as memturbo. :-)

Mike, there *are* poorly written programs out there which can screw up
memory handling (though I tend to avoid such for obvious reasons) *and*
Windows doesn't have a memory defragger.

If it works then it's worth it.

Rick
Anonymous
January 23, 2005 11:48:47 PM

LOL I really gotta work on my timing
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:37:16 AM

> Several possibilities there. You do seem to like snake oil though by
> using products such as memturbo. :-)
> One of the following is likely to be what is wiping out your system
> restore checkpoints as part of its "cleaning" process:
>> a2StartCenter
>> PCbugdoctor
>> WindowWasher
>> Ontrack Fix-it
>> SpyKiller
>
> I'd probably start by disabling, temporarily at least, WindowWasher
> and if that doesn't solve the problem move on to one of the others of
> those I suggest you check out.

You may have something here Mike? I know for sure that all the cleaners
are dissabled, not running on start-up neither in the background.
However, I did dissable memturbo as you suggested from start-ups, set
restore points, rebooted several times and it seem's to be holding quite
well, there still there, restore points i mean? Strange, Iv'e been using
memturbo for quite awhile now on all my systems only because I used to
receive messages like, you are running dangerously low on resource's, I
installed the program and never had a problem since, until now that is?
As I'm writing this I made several more re-boots and it seem's OK. I will
keep you posted, thanks a BUNCH, Richard!
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:52:58 AM

A couple of points only. I wasn't suggesting memturbo as being the cause
of your loss of system restore checkpoints so am surprised if it is the
cause but if so then you now have to decide which you want to have,
checkpoints or memturbo. My other point is that very rarely do resource
problems have anything to do with memory, or rather RAM and virtual
memory, but instead have very much to do with the two small 64KB stacks
used by 16 bit programs and modules to store pointers and like.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

wopper <wopper@home.dot> wrote:

> You may have something here Mike? I know for sure that all the
> cleaners are dissabled, not running on start-up neither in the
> background. However, I did dissable memturbo as you suggested from
> start-ups, set restore points, rebooted several times and it seem's
> to be holding quite well, there still there, restore points i mean?
> Strange, Iv'e been using memturbo for quite awhile now on all my
> systems only because I used to receive messages like, you are running
> dangerously low on resource's, I installed the program and never had
> a problem since, until now that is? As I'm writing this I made
> several more re-boots and it seem's OK. I will keep you posted,
> thanks a BUNCH, Richard!
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 12:56:00 AM

At the risk of repeating myself Win Me has no need for programs such as
memturbo which does little or nothing for performance. Snake oil is snake
oil regardless of what it says on the bottle and that includes products
such as memturbo. However, what a user wishes to install is up to that
user and if they and you feel that their and your systems benefit from the
use of memturbo so be it.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Rick T <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

> Mike, there *are* poorly written programs out there which can screw up
> memory handling (though I tend to avoid such for obvious reasons)
> *and* Windows doesn't have a memory defragger.
>
> If it works then it's worth it.
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:57:27 AM

Mike M wrote:
> At the risk of repeating myself Win Me has no need for programs such as
> memturbo which does little or nothing for performance. Snake oil is
> snake oil regardless of what it says on the bottle and that includes
> products such as memturbo. However, what a user wishes to install is up
> to that user and if they and you feel that their and your systems
> benefit from the use of memturbo so be it.

not me, I avoid that stuff and generally agree with your 'snake oil'
pronouncement, *but* there are occasions when you get an 'out of memory'
message and something that frees up and/or defrags memory can help with
that... at least long enough to finish up and close programs.

Rick
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:08:55 AM

"Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in
news:o j$hoXZAFHA.3236@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl:

> A couple of points only. I wasn't suggesting memturbo as being the
> cause of your loss of system restore checkpoints so am surprised if it
> is the cause but if so then you now have to decide which you want to
> have, checkpoints or memturbo. My other point is that very rarely do
> resource problems have anything to do with memory, or rather RAM and
> virtual memory, but instead have very much to do with the two small
> 64KB stacks used by 16 bit programs and modules to store pointers and
> like.

Hi Mike, as I stated earlier, i set different restore points, did numerous
boots and all seemed fine? Tonight At 6:58 PM it did it's own system
checkpoint and cleared all the previous points that i created? Nothing that
i know of is running, my task bar shows my anti virus and sound blaster
only?
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:35:15 AM

How big is the _RESTORE folder and how much space have you allocated to
the archive? You say you have nothing running but what do you have listed
in:
a) System Information | Software Environment | Startup Programs, and
b) System Information | Software Environment | Running Tasks?

Unless you have made changes to your system involving file types monitored
by Win Me's state manager that exceed the space allocated to the archive
(which would mean the archive would have to be flushed due to insufficient
space allocated to archive a copy of all the altered or deleted files) it
would appear that you have some third party application running that is
flushing the archive or your removable disk is being treated as a fixed
disk..

It is possible that your removable disk is triggering the problem if the
system treats it as fixed as adding the disk would alter the drive letter
assignments and automatically trigger a system restore reset. Does the
removable disk have a _RESTORE folder? In the Device Manager, open the
Properties sheet for the removable hard disk and click the Settings tab.
Is the box labelled "Removable" checked or unchecked? If checked, uncheck
it.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

wopper <wopper@home.dot> wrote:

> Hi Mike, as I stated earlier, i set different restore points, did
> numerous boots and all seemed fine? Tonight At 6:58 PM it did it's
> own system checkpoint and cleared all the previous points that i
> created? Nothing that i know of is running, my task bar shows my anti
> virus and sound blaster only?
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 6:19:59 PM

> How big is the _RESTORE folder and how much space have you allocated
> to the archive? You say you have nothing running but what do you have
> listed in:
> a) System Information | Software Environment | Startup Programs, and
> b) System Information | Software Environment | Running Tasks?
>
> Unless you have made changes to your system involving file types
> monitored by Win Me's state manager that exceed the space allocated to
> the archive (which would mean the archive would have to be flushed due
> to insufficient space allocated to archive a copy of all the altered
> or deleted files) it would appear that you have some third party
> application running that is flushing the archive or your removable
> disk is being treated as a fixed disk..
>
> It is possible that your removable disk is triggering the problem if
> the system treats it as fixed as adding the disk would alter the drive
> letter assignments and automatically trigger a system restore reset.
> Does the removable disk have a _RESTORE folder? In the Device
> Manager, open the Properties sheet for the removable hard disk and
> click the Settings tab. Is the box labelled "Removable" checked or
> unchecked? If checked, uncheck it.

Hi Mike, here's the latest! Allocated space by the way is the limit 736mb,
restore folder is in C: drive, BUT, since i check D: as you brought to my
attention, as a removeable (basicly thats what it is) all seems fine? I
made several boots with and without D: and restore points are still holding
(crossing my fingers)? You know, I do this all the time with XP and never
had this problem, it doesn't effect it, at least i never noticed it, i will
now! Totally different system though. I will keep you posted, thanks again
for your GREAT help! Richard
Anonymous
January 25, 2005 6:33:29 PM

Richard,

Was the removable drive not checked as being removable in the Device
Manager? If so then that would certainly have caused the problems you
were seeing.

System Restore in Win Me and XP treat the file store differently from each
other. In the case of Win Me it sees it globally and a change to one
drive such as its removal will reset system restore whereas in XP system
restore works on a drive by drive basis and provided it remains enabled on
the system drive any changes on another drive are confined to that drive
alone. In Win Me the entire archive is on the boot drive (usually
C:\_RESTORE) with the _RESTORE folder on other drives containing nothing
more than the single byte file srdiskid.dat which contains a copy of the
last allocated drive letter, whereas in XP each drive's archive is
maintained on the drive concerned in the System Volume Information folder.

I'm glad to read that the problem seems now to have been solved.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

!