System Restore Problem

How come when i set a restore point and go back into SR it's there until i
go into a reboot. All that is present is just one system check point on the
last reboot, all others dissappeared. Last night i set three different
restore points, went there this morning all were gone? I set a few more
today, reboot, gone? I checked the SMGR.DLL, version 4.90.0.3003, statmgr
is checked in startup. This is/was a fresh clean instal about a month or so
ago, has all the latest updates? Luckly i never needed it, but if i did/do
im in trouble? Any help would sure be appreciated, thanks!
13 answers Last reply
More about system restore problem

    What non-Microsoft applications have you installed, especially "tools" and
    other clean up applications? What applications and tools do you have
    being launched each time you boot your system? Using MSConfig | Startup
    or System Information | Software Environment | Startup Programs will help
    you here.

    Are you multi-booting by any chance, and if so how many partitions do you
    have and can the different systems "see" each other?
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in

    > What non-Microsoft applications have you installed, especially "tools"
    > and other clean up applications? What applications and tools do you
    > have being launched each time you boot your system? Using MSConfig |
    > Startup or System Information | Software Environment | Startup
    > Programs will help you here.
    >
    > Are you multi-booting by any chance, and if so how many partitions do
    > you have and can the different systems "see" each other?

    thank Mike for your speedy reply! In start-ups i have running
    scanregistry, systemtray
    loadpowerprofile
    avg7_cc
    avg7_ec
    avg7_amsvr
    statmgr
    memturbo
    Clean-up programs i have that don't run even in background are:
    ad-adware6
    a2StartCenter
    PCbugdoctor
    Spybot
    WindowWasher
    Ontrack Fix-it
    SpyKiller
    My system disk restore space is set at max, 736mb. I'm not multi-booting,
    no drive partitions, boot drive is 6.5gb. I still have 3.7gb free disk
    space. I do have a 30gb removeable HD, but that has no influence on the
    problem if/or not installed? This problem was here I noticed really a few
    days after install, I guess I payed more attention last night because I
    instaled Norton Ultilities and set a restore point before. Basicly I had
    all these programs on my old win98, and all ran like silk? I also run all
    these on my XP PC with no problems, can't help it, other than this
    problem I still favor ME the most, maybe because of DOS?

    Several possibilities there. You do seem to like snake oil though by
    using products such as memturbo. :-)
    One of the following is likely to be what is wiping out your system
    restore checkpoints as part of its "cleaning" process:
    > a2StartCenter
    > PCbugdoctor
    > WindowWasher
    > Ontrack Fix-it
    > SpyKiller

    I'd probably start by disabling, temporarily at least, WindowWasher and if
    that doesn't solve the problem move on to one of the others of those I
    suggest you check out.
    --

    Mike M wrote:
    > Several possibilities there. You do seem to like snake oil though by
    > using products such as memturbo. :-)

    Mike, there *are* poorly written programs out there which can screw up
    memory handling (though I tend to avoid such for obvious reasons) *and*
    Windows doesn't have a memory defragger.

    If it works then it's worth it.

    Rick

    LOL I really gotta work on my timing

    > Several possibilities there. You do seem to like snake oil though by
    > using products such as memturbo. :-)
    > One of the following is likely to be what is wiping out your system
    > restore checkpoints as part of its "cleaning" process:
    >> a2StartCenter
    >> PCbugdoctor
    >> WindowWasher
    >> Ontrack Fix-it
    >> SpyKiller
    >
    > I'd probably start by disabling, temporarily at least, WindowWasher
    > and if that doesn't solve the problem move on to one of the others of
    > those I suggest you check out.

    You may have something here Mike? I know for sure that all the cleaners
    are dissabled, not running on start-up neither in the background.
    However, I did dissable memturbo as you suggested from start-ups, set
    restore points, rebooted several times and it seem's to be holding quite
    well, there still there, restore points i mean? Strange, Iv'e been using
    memturbo for quite awhile now on all my systems only because I used to
    receive messages like, you are running dangerously low on resource's, I
    installed the program and never had a problem since, until now that is?
    As I'm writing this I made several more re-boots and it seem's OK. I will
    keep you posted, thanks a BUNCH, Richard!

    A couple of points only. I wasn't suggesting memturbo as being the cause
    of your loss of system restore checkpoints so am surprised if it is the
    cause but if so then you now have to decide which you want to have,
    checkpoints or memturbo. My other point is that very rarely do resource
    problems have anything to do with memory, or rather RAM and virtual
    memory, but instead have very much to do with the two small 64KB stacks
    used by 16 bit programs and modules to store pointers and like.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    wopper <wopper@home.dot> wrote:

    > You may have something here Mike? I know for sure that all the
    > cleaners are dissabled, not running on start-up neither in the
    > background. However, I did dissable memturbo as you suggested from
    > start-ups, set restore points, rebooted several times and it seem's
    > to be holding quite well, there still there, restore points i mean?
    > Strange, Iv'e been using memturbo for quite awhile now on all my
    > systems only because I used to receive messages like, you are running
    > dangerously low on resource's, I installed the program and never had
    > a problem since, until now that is? As I'm writing this I made
    > several more re-boots and it seem's OK. I will keep you posted,
    > thanks a BUNCH, Richard!

    At the risk of repeating myself Win Me has no need for programs such as
    memturbo which does little or nothing for performance. Snake oil is snake
    oil regardless of what it says on the bottle and that includes products
    such as memturbo. However, what a user wishes to install is up to that
    user and if they and you feel that their and your systems benefit from the
    use of memturbo so be it.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    Mike M wrote:
    > At the risk of repeating myself Win Me has no need for programs such as
    > memturbo which does little or nothing for performance. Snake oil is
    > snake oil regardless of what it says on the bottle and that includes
    > products such as memturbo. However, what a user wishes to install is up
    > to that user and if they and you feel that their and your systems
    > benefit from the use of memturbo so be it.

    not me, I avoid that stuff and generally agree with your 'snake oil'
    pronouncement, *but* there are occasions when you get an 'out of memory'
    message and something that frees up and/or defrags memory can help with
    that... at least long enough to finish up and close programs.

    Rick

    > A couple of points only. I wasn't suggesting memturbo as being the
    > cause of your loss of system restore checkpoints so am surprised if it
    > is the cause but if so then you now have to decide which you want to
    > have, checkpoints or memturbo. My other point is that very rarely do
    > resource problems have anything to do with memory, or rather RAM and
    > virtual memory, but instead have very much to do with the two small
    > 64KB stacks used by 16 bit programs and modules to store pointers and
    > like.

    Hi Mike, as I stated earlier, i set different restore points, did numerous
    boots and all seemed fine? Tonight At 6:58 PM it did it's own system
    checkpoint and cleared all the previous points that i created? Nothing that
    i know of is running, my task bar shows my anti virus and sound blaster
    only?

    How big is the _RESTORE folder and how much space have you allocated to
    the archive? You say you have nothing running but what do you have listed
    in:
    a) System Information | Software Environment | Startup Programs, and
    b) System Information | Software Environment | Running Tasks?

    Unless you have made changes to your system involving file types monitored
    by Win Me's state manager that exceed the space allocated to the archive
    (which would mean the archive would have to be flushed due to insufficient
    space allocated to archive a copy of all the altered or deleted files) it
    would appear that you have some third party application running that is
    flushing the archive or your removable disk is being treated as a fixed
    disk..

    It is possible that your removable disk is triggering the problem if the
    system treats it as fixed as adding the disk would alter the drive letter
    assignments and automatically trigger a system restore reset. Does the
    removable disk have a _RESTORE folder? In the Device Manager, open the
    Properties sheet for the removable hard disk and click the Settings tab.
    Is the box labelled "Removable" checked or unchecked? If checked, uncheck
    it.
    --

    > How big is the _RESTORE folder and how much space have you allocated
    > to the archive? You say you have nothing running but what do you have
    > listed in:
    > a) System Information | Software Environment | Startup Programs, and
    > b) System Information | Software Environment | Running Tasks?
    >
    > Unless you have made changes to your system involving file types
    > monitored by Win Me's state manager that exceed the space allocated to
    > the archive (which would mean the archive would have to be flushed due
    > to insufficient space allocated to archive a copy of all the altered
    > or deleted files) it would appear that you have some third party
    > application running that is flushing the archive or your removable
    > disk is being treated as a fixed disk..
    >
    > It is possible that your removable disk is triggering the problem if
    > the system treats it as fixed as adding the disk would alter the drive
    > letter assignments and automatically trigger a system restore reset.
    > Does the removable disk have a _RESTORE folder? In the Device
    > Manager, open the Properties sheet for the removable hard disk and
    > click the Settings tab. Is the box labelled "Removable" checked or
    > unchecked? If checked, uncheck it.

    Hi Mike, here's the latest! Allocated space by the way is the limit 736mb,
    restore folder is in C: drive, BUT, since i check D: as you brought to my
    attention, as a removeable (basicly thats what it is) all seems fine? I
    made several boots with and without D: and restore points are still holding
    (crossing my fingers)? You know, I do this all the time with XP and never
    had this problem, it doesn't effect it, at least i never noticed it, i will
    now! Totally different system though. I will keep you posted, thanks again
    for your GREAT help! Richard

    Richard,

    Was the removable drive not checked as being removable in the Device
    Manager? If so then that would certainly have caused the problems you
    were seeing.

    System Restore in Win Me and XP treat the file store differently from each
    other. In the case of Win Me it sees it globally and a change to one
    drive such as its removal will reset system restore whereas in XP system
    restore works on a drive by drive basis and provided it remains enabled on
    the system drive any changes on another drive are confined to that drive
    alone. In Win Me the entire archive is on the boot drive (usually
    C:\_RESTORE) with the _RESTORE folder on other drives containing nothing
    more than the single byte file srdiskid.dat which contains a copy of the
    last allocated drive letter, whereas in XP each drive's archive is
    maintained on the drive concerned in the System Volume Information folder.

    I'm glad to read that the problem seems now to have been solved.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    dowopper <dowopper@thehop.not> wrote:

    > Hi Mike, here's the latest! Allocated space by the way is the limit
    > 736mb, restore folder is in C: drive, BUT, since i check D: as you
    > brought to my attention, as a removeable (basicly thats what it is)
    > all seems fine? I made several boots with and without D: and restore
    > points are still holding (crossing my fingers)? You know, I do this
    > all the time with XP and never had this problem, it doesn't effect
    > it, at least i never noticed it, i will now! Totally different system
    > though. I will keep you posted, thanks again for your GREAT help!

Microsoft System Restore Windows