Problems with DLL files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi i was wondering if anyone can help with a problem i'm having. I am unable
to open a lot of things on my computer. For example when i try and open My
Documents, i get the error message:

"Explorer has caused an error in SHLWAPI.DLL, Explorer will now close. If
you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer"

Ihave tried restarting my computer many times but it just doesnt resolve it.
I get an error message when trying to open anything. My Documents, My
Computer, anything. Its really annoying me. So if anyone has any ideas as to
how to sort this it would be much appreciated.

Kind Reagards

James

See > http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/shlwapi.htm

--
James Orr wrote:
> Hi i was wondering if anyone can help with a problem i'm having. I am
> unable to open a lot of things on my computer. For example when i try
> and open My Documents, i get the error message:
>
> "Explorer has caused an error in SHLWAPI.DLL, Explorer will now
> close. If you continue to experience problems try restarting your
> computer"
>
> Ihave tried restarting my computer many times but it just doesnt
> resolve it. I get an error message when trying to open anything. My
> Documents, My Computer, anything. Its really annoying me. So if
> anyone has any ideas as to how to sort this it would be much
> appreciated.
>
> Kind Reagards
>

> James

James,

Try repairing IE:

Add/Remove Programs > highlight Microsoft Internet Explorer > click Add/Remove > Select Repair > Next > OK.

Reboot and test.

Zee

"James Orr" <James Orr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3DED3C1B-C472-482F-8FCE-43859F026C6B@microsoft.com...
> Hi i was wondering if anyone can help with a problem i'm having. I am unable
> to open a lot of things on my computer. For example when i try and open My
> Documents, i get the error message:
>
> "Explorer has caused an error in SHLWAPI.DLL, Explorer will now close. If
> you continue to experience problems try restarting your computer"
>
> Ihave tried restarting my computer many times but it just doesnt resolve it.
> I get an error message when trying to open anything. My Documents, My
> Computer, anything. Its really annoying me. So if anyone has any ideas as to
> how to sort this it would be much appreciated.
>
> Kind Reagards
>

> James

Hi James,

I agree that this shlwapi.dll error is one of the most annoying errors I had before. what's worse is that it doesn't just prevent me from using IE but it affects my other programs as well. I've read from a certain source that sometimes, the reason could be that of a virus which corrupts the file then replacing it. fortunately, I stumbled upon a solution that discusses the most common dll problem. I realized I just had to replace the corrupted file with a fresh new copy of shlwapi.dll. Just search in google by typing shlwapi download and once you have the file, locate the original location on your PC with the new file. It should work fine by then... :wahoo:

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Sean