Ghost new wrinkle

Got it working, not sure exactly how. One thing I did was when I
could boot to the Ghosted drive, with the other present, went into
Mounted Devices and deleted all but the appropiate ones.

Also found out that Windows will boot from a Windows Directory renamed
to xwindows.

WinXP Pro SP2

Ghost 9 using the floppy disc it makes.

Had two installs of Windows one on a SATA drive, one on an ATA drive.
I could boot from eitther.

The ATA Windows drive got corrupted.

So I Ghosted the SATA partition to the ATA partiton with Windows in
each.

With the SATA unplugged. it would not boot to the ATA drive, it would
get to the starting Windows screen and no further.

But with both drives attached it would boot to either but would give
me an error of two sys files(one syshost) couldn't load or had a
problem. One time I could continue on, once in crashed.

Since both drives have a lot of data (some different on them), I would
like to be able to boot from both if needed.

John Johnson wrote:

> Got it working, not sure exactly how. One thing I did was when I
> could boot to the Ghosted drive, with the other present, went into
> Mounted Devices and deleted all but the appropiate ones.

Hard to tell how you did the ghost, either originally to get two 'bootable'
drives or now, and what 'appropriate ones' means but this would seem to be
a case of persistent and/or mixed drive letters. The two installations know
the drives exist and when you ghosted the SATA install over it knows that
the SATA drive is the boot drive so the copy, as does the original, expects
the SATA drive to be there to boot from.

> Also found out that Windows will boot from a Windows Directory renamed
> to xwindows.

What's more likely is that you changed the name of a Windows directory you
thought it was 'booting' from but it was actually using the other one.

On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 03:55:24 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
wrote:

>John Johnson wrote:
>
>> Got it working, not sure exactly how. One thing I did was when I
>> could boot to the Ghosted drive, with the other present, went into
>> Mounted Devices and deleted all but the appropiate ones.
>
>Hard to tell how you did the ghost, either originally to get two 'bootable'
>drives or now, and what 'appropriate ones' means but this would seem to be
>a case of persistent and/or mixed drive letters. The two installations know
>the drives exist and when you ghosted the SATA install over it knows that
>the SATA drive is the boot drive so the copy, as does the original, expects
>the SATA drive to be there to boot from.
>

>> Also found out that Windows will boot from a Windows Directory renamed
>> to xwindows.
>
>What's more likely is that you changed the name of a Windows directory you
>thought it was 'booting' from but it was actually using the other one.
I made a slight change in the desktop on the ATA drive and that showed
up.
I think my MB MSI 865 is tolerant towards from one it boots from. And
also might be the problem with the system not being able to see FAT32
drives.

John Johnson wrote:

> On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 03:55:24 -0600, David Maynard <dNOTmayn@ev1.net>
> wrote:
>

>>John Johnson wrote:
>>

>>>Got it working, not sure exactly how. One thing I did was when I
>>>could boot to the Ghosted drive, with the other present, went into
>>>Mounted Devices and deleted all but the appropiate ones.
>>
>>Hard to tell how you did the ghost, either originally to get two 'bootable'
>>drives or now, and what 'appropriate ones' means but this would seem to be
>>a case of persistent and/or mixed drive letters. The two installations know
>>the drives exist and when you ghosted the SATA install over it knows that
>>the SATA drive is the boot drive so the copy, as does the original, expects
>>the SATA drive to be there to boot from.
>>

>>>Also found out that Windows will boot from a Windows Directory renamed
>>>to xwindows.
>>
>>What's more likely is that you changed the name of a Windows directory you
>>thought it was 'booting' from but it was actually using the other one.
>
> I made a slight change in the desktop on the ATA drive and that showed
> up.
> I think my MB MSI 865 is tolerant towards from one it boots from. And
> also might be the problem with the system not being able to see FAT32
> drives.

I'm not talking about what drive the motherboard will boot from. I'm
talking about how XP handles drive detection, serialization, and bootup.
Once XP has 'installed' a drive you can move it around and it'll still be
recognized as the same drive with the same drive letter. Clone it, then
boot from the clone, and it will STILL use the old drive as 'C' because it
knows what drive was, and still is, 'C'. Then remove the old drive and the
clone will begin the boot but fail because there is no 'C'.