Which printer is the best/cheapest for me? (2000 b&w pages..

Hello,

What is a good, easy-to-refill, CHEAP but decent-quality-output
printer that'll answer my needs, which are:

1. Don't care about speed
2. Will print about 1000 pages per year
3. I want it to last two years (I'll probably trash it and buy a
decent personal color laser printer then).
4. Wanna spend max $150 total for printer and ink for 2-years (paper
is free)

I notice there are a lot of cheapo printers on "special deals" all
over, all the time. It's probably wise to ask you guys which printers
are a no-no and which have proved to play nice. For example:

http://www.salescircular.com/fl/computer/prntrp.shtml

I see five printers for ~$80 and three for ~$100. Any of them any
good? Any other decent model at similar pricepoint?

Thanx
Gabriel
5 answers Last reply
More about which printer best cheapest 2000 pages

    You say b&w prints,right.In that case any lowend laser will work best.You
    will find at least 1/2 dozen lasers in that price range.

    On 12 Sep 2004 23:01:27 -0700, ohgreat1@hotmail.com (Gabriel Oran
    Devine) wrote:

    | What is a good, easy-to-refill, CHEAP but decent-quality-output
    | printer that'll answer my needs, which are:
    |
    | 1. Don't care about speed
    | 2. Will print about 1000 pages per year
    | 3. I want it to last two years (I'll probably trash it and buy a
    | decent personal color laser printer then).
    | 4. Wanna spend max $150 total for printer and ink for 2-years (paper
    | is free)
    |
    | I notice there are a lot of cheapo printers on "special deals" all
    | over, all the time. It's probably wise to ask you guys which printers
    | are a no-no and which have proved to play nice. For example:
    |
    | http://www.salescircular.com/fl/computer/prntrp.shtml
    |
    | I see five printers for ~$80 and three for ~$100. Any of them any
    | good? Any other decent model at similar pricepoint?

    I'd get the Canon IP3000 for $79.98 after rebate. That's a good deal
    (Newegg is $82 plus $7.99 shipping for that model). Also, Canon inks
    tend to be less expensive than most other brands, so you should be
    able to get 2000 B&W pages for under $150 total easily.

    Larc

    Devine) wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >What is a good, easy-to-refill, CHEAP but decent-quality-output
    >printer that'll answer my needs, which are:
    >
    >1. Don't care about speed
    >2. Will print about 1000 pages per year
    >3. I want it to last two years (I'll probably trash it and buy a
    >decent personal color laser printer then).
    >4. Wanna spend max $150 total for printer and ink for 2-years (paper
    >is free)
    >
    >I notice there are a lot of cheapo printers on "special deals" all
    >over, all the time. It's probably wise to ask you guys which printers
    >are a no-no and which have proved to play nice. For example:
    >
    >http://www.salescircular.com/fl/computer/prntrp.shtml
    >
    >I see five printers for ~$80 and three for ~$100. Any of them any
    >good? Any other decent model at similar pricepoint?

    If all you want to do is B&W then a cheap laser is best, like the
    Samsung ML 1510

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 03:53:25 +0100, Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote:

    | On 12 Sep 2004 23:01:27 -0700, ohgreat1@hotmail.com (Gabriel Oran
    | Devine) wrote:
    |
    | >Hello,
    | >
    | >What is a good, easy-to-refill, CHEAP but decent-quality-output
    | >printer that'll answer my needs, which are:
    | >
    | >1. Don't care about speed
    | >2. Will print about 1000 pages per year
    | >3. I want it to last two years (I'll probably trash it and buy a
    | >decent personal color laser printer then).
    | >4. Wanna spend max $150 total for printer and ink for 2-years (paper
    | >is free)
    | >
    | >I notice there are a lot of cheapo printers on "special deals" all
    | >over, all the time. It's probably wise to ask you guys which printers
    | >are a no-no and which have proved to play nice. For example:
    | >
    | >http://www.salescircular.com/fl/computer/prntrp.shtml
    | >
    | >I see five printers for ~$80 and three for ~$100. Any of them any
    | >good? Any other decent model at similar pricepoint?
    | >
    | If all you want to do is B&W then a cheap laser is best, like the
    | Samsung ML 1510

    The ML-1510 doesn't seem to be available in the US. The least
    expensive Samsung laser here is evidently the ML-1740 ($137 including
    shipping from Newegg).

    But the OP wanted to keep cost for the printer plus 2000 pages at $150
    max. Cheaper Samsung laser printers come with toner cartridges that
    are only a third full and will print about 1000 pages. That would
    mean having to buy a new toner cartridge for the last 1000 pages.
    Best US price for the ML-1740 cartridge is currently about $90.

    That added to the initial price of the printer would put the overall
    cost considerably over budget.

    If these printer companies can't get money one way, they'll get it
    another! ;-)

    Larc

    These toner cartridges are VERY east to refill!The cost of refilling is
    $5-10.You can get 8 refills for $35!I picked up a 1740 for $59 new after
    rebate not long ago.
    "Larc" <larc-news@jupiterlink.net> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 03:53:25 +0100, Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote:
    >
    > | On 12 Sep 2004 23:01:27 -0700, ohgreat1@hotmail.com (Gabriel Oran
    > | Devine) wrote:
    > |
    > | >Hello,
    > | >
    > | >What is a good, easy-to-refill, CHEAP but decent-quality-output
    > | >printer that'll answer my needs, which are:
    > | >
    > | >1. Don't care about speed
    > | >2. Will print about 1000 pages per year
    > | >3. I want it to last two years (I'll probably trash it and buy a
    > | >decent personal color laser printer then).
    > | >4. Wanna spend max $150 total for printer and ink for 2-years (paper
    > | >is free)
    > | >
    > | >I notice there are a lot of cheapo printers on "special deals" all
    > | >over, all the time. It's probably wise to ask you guys which printers
    > | >are a no-no and which have proved to play nice. For example:
    > | >
    > | >http://www.salescircular.com/fl/computer/prntrp.shtml
    > | >
    > | >I see five printers for ~$80 and three for ~$100. Any of them any
    > | >good? Any other decent model at similar pricepoint?
    > | >
    > | If all you want to do is B&W then a cheap laser is best, like the
    > | Samsung ML 1510
    >
    > The ML-1510 doesn't seem to be available in the US. The least
    > expensive Samsung laser here is evidently the ML-1740 ($137 including
    > shipping from Newegg).
    >
    > But the OP wanted to keep cost for the printer plus 2000 pages at $150
    > max. Cheaper Samsung laser printers come with toner cartridges that
    > are only a third full and will print about 1000 pages. That would
    > mean having to buy a new toner cartridge for the last 1000 pages.
    > Best US price for the ML-1740 cartridge is currently about $90.
    >
    > That added to the initial price of the printer would put the overall
    > cost considerably over budget.
    >
    > If these printer companies can't get money one way, they'll get it
    > another! ;-)
    >
    > Larc
    >

    > §§§ - Change planet to earth to reply by email - §§§

Printers Laser Printer Peripherals