Which printer is the best/cheapest for me? (2000 b&w pages..

Hello,

What is a good, easy-to-refill, CHEAP but decent-quality-output
printer that'll answer my needs, which are:

1. Don't care about speed
2. Will print about 1000 pages per year
3. I want it to last two years (I'll probably trash it and buy a
decent personal color laser printer then).
4. Wanna spend max $150 total for printer and ink for 2-years (paper
is free)

I notice there are a lot of cheapo printers on "special deals" all
over, all the time. It's probably wise to ask you guys which printers
are a no-no and which have proved to play nice. For example:

http://www.salescircular.com/fl/computer/prntrp.shtml

I see five printers for ~$80 and three for ~$100. Any of them any
good? Any other decent model at similar pricepoint?

Thanx
Gabriel

Douglas

You say b&w prints,right.In that case any lowend laser will work best.You
will find at least 1/2 dozen lasers in that price range.

On 12 Sep 2004 23:01:27 -0700, ohgreat1@hotmail.com (Gabriel Oran
Devine) wrote:

| What is a good, easy-to-refill, CHEAP but decent-quality-output
| printer that'll answer my needs, which are:
|
| 1. Don't care about speed
| 2. Will print about 1000 pages per year
| 3. I want it to last two years (I'll probably trash it and buy a
| decent personal color laser printer then).
| 4. Wanna spend max $150 total for printer and ink for 2-years (paper
| is free)
|
| I notice there are a lot of cheapo printers on "special deals" all
| over, all the time. It's probably wise to ask you guys which printers
| are a no-no and which have proved to play nice. For example:
|
| http://www.salescircular.com/fl/computer/prntrp.shtml
|
| I see five printers for ~$80 and three for ~$100. Any of them any
| good? Any other decent model at similar pricepoint?

I'd get the Canon IP3000 for $79.98 after rebate. That's a good deal
(Newegg is $82 plus $7.99 shipping for that model). Also, Canon inks
tend to be less expensive than most other brands, so you should be
able to get 2000 B&W pages for under $150 total easily.

Larc

Devine) wrote:

>Hello,
>
>What is a good, easy-to-refill, CHEAP but decent-quality-output
>printer that'll answer my needs, which are:
>
>1. Don't care about speed
>2. Will print about 1000 pages per year
>3. I want it to last two years (I'll probably trash it and buy a
>decent personal color laser printer then).
>4. Wanna spend max $150 total for printer and ink for 2-years (paper
>is free)
>
>I notice there are a lot of cheapo printers on "special deals" all
>over, all the time. It's probably wise to ask you guys which printers
>are a no-no and which have proved to play nice. For example:
>
>http://www.salescircular.com/fl/computer/prntrp.shtml
>
>I see five printers for ~$80 and three for ~$100. Any of them any
>good? Any other decent model at similar pricepoint?

If all you want to do is B&W then a cheap laser is best, like the
Samsung ML 1510

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 03:53:25 +0100, Hecate <hecate@newsguy.com> wrote:

| On 12 Sep 2004 23:01:27 -0700, ohgreat1@hotmail.com (Gabriel Oran
| Devine) wrote:
|
| >Hello,
| >
| >What is a good, easy-to-refill, CHEAP but decent-quality-output
| >printer that'll answer my needs, which are:
| >
| >1. Don't care about speed
| >2. Will print about 1000 pages per year
| >3. I want it to last two years (I'll probably trash it and buy a
| >decent personal color laser printer then).
| >4. Wanna spend max $150 total for printer and ink for 2-years (paper
| >is free)
| >
| >I notice there are a lot of cheapo printers on "special deals" all
| >over, all the time. It's probably wise to ask you guys which printers
| >are a no-no and which have proved to play nice. For example:
| >
| >http://www.salescircular.com/fl/computer/prntrp.shtml
| >
| >I see five printers for ~$80 and three for ~$100. Any of them any
| >good? Any other decent model at similar pricepoint?
| >
| If all you want to do is B&W then a cheap laser is best, like the
| Samsung ML 1510

The ML-1510 doesn't seem to be available in the US. The least
expensive Samsung laser here is evidently the ML-1740 ($137 including
shipping from Newegg).

But the OP wanted to keep cost for the printer plus 2000 pages at $150
max. Cheaper Samsung laser printers come with toner cartridges that
are only a third full and will print about 1000 pages. That would
mean having to buy a new toner cartridge for the last 1000 pages.
Best US price for the ML-1740 cartridge is currently about $90.

That added to the initial price of the printer would put the overall
cost considerably over budget.

If these printer companies can't get money one way, they'll get it
another! ;-)

Larc

Douglas

These toner cartridges are VERY east to refill!The cost of refilling is
$5-10.You can get 8 refills for $35!I picked up a 1740 for $59 new after
rebate not long ago.