Usable vs. Available Hard Disk Space

Hello All:

Belarc Advisor tells me I have 48.56 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
and 47.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space.
Then why is it, that FDISK tells me a different story?
I must confess, the instructions for FDISK and FORMAT Tools are somewhat
confusing to me, because of the many
possible options or scenarios.
I apologize beforehand to Noel, Mike, Jack and all with my humble request
for a simpler, step-by-step description of what exactly to do in this case,
to uncover the obviously available free space of 47 GB's, which actually is
a bit less than 40 GB.
As you may have guessed, I am trying to circumvent the use of an outside
partitioning tool.
Is it possible?

Harry.

Not without wiping the drive

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> As you may have guessed, I am trying to circumvent the use of an outside
> partitioning tool.
> Is it possible?
>
> Harry.

Harry,

For those of us (well... me at least) who haven't kept up with your
multiple original postings on the same topic(?), could you summarize?

Please include what drive(s) you have, what fdisk says about each of
them, what is on which partitions, and last, but of course not least,
what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks :)

Rick

webster72n wrote:
> Hello All:
>
> Belarc Advisor tells me I have 48.56 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
> and 47.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space.
> Then why is it, that FDISK tells me a different story?
> I must confess, the instructions for FDISK and FORMAT Tools are somewhat
> confusing to me, because of the many
> possible options or scenarios.
> I apologize beforehand to Noel, Mike, Jack and all with my humble request
> for a simpler, step-by-step description of what exactly to do in this case,
> to uncover the obviously available free space of 47 GB's, which actually is
> a bit less than 40 GB.
> As you may have guessed, I am trying to circumvent the use of an outside
> partitioning tool.
> Is it possible?
>
> Harry.

As Noel has stated you absolutely cannot do this with fdisk. Fdisk is a
so called "destructive" partitioning tool as opposed to
"non-destructive". Like the others have stated you can do it with
Partition Magic, BootIt NG or other such utilities. You do have a copy
of PM, don't you? If not BootIt NG is available as a fully functional
trialware for 30 days, you could use it. If you do, you don't need to
install it to work the partitions, you can work off the floppy boot.
When the install screen appears you just click "Cancel" then the program
will load its tools. I should tell you that if you found fdisk
confusing you will probably find BootIt a bit bewildering.

Other than that the only advice that I can give you is that you have to
make a decision and bite the bullet! This is a new installation isn't
it? Well you will either have to use fdisk and start all over again or
use a third party partitioning tool and attempt to recover your lost
disk space, if it fails be prepared to start all over again from
scratch! You simply cannot leave it as it is, it will be a lot bigger
headache or problem if you keep on using the drive then decide in 6
months that you need the lost space. Not to mention that you will be
cussing at the situation and it will bug you until you make it right.
The time to fix it is now while the needed information is fresh in your
mind, not in 6 months or a year from now when it gets full of fog in the
noggin.

If you want to use fdisk see here for easy to follow and understand
information: http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm and a simulation
here: http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk1.htm

Good luck and godspeed, time to do what needs to be done.

John

webster72n wrote:

> Hello All:
>
> Belarc Advisor tells me I have 48.56 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
> and 47.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space.
> Then why is it, that FDISK tells me a different story?
> I must confess, the instructions for FDISK and FORMAT Tools are somewhat
> confusing to me, because of the many
> possible options or scenarios.
> I apologize beforehand to Noel, Mike, Jack and all with my humble request
> for a simpler, step-by-step description of what exactly to do in this case,
> to uncover the obviously available free space of 47 GB's, which actually is
> a bit less than 40 GB.
> As you may have guessed, I am trying to circumvent the use of an outside
> partitioning tool.
> Is it possible?
>
> Harry.

I will get back to you as soon as I can, Rick.

Harry.

> Harry,
>
> For those of us (well... me at least) who haven't kept up with your
> multiple original postings on the same topic(?), could you summarize?
>
> Please include what drive(s) you have, what fdisk says about each of
> them, what is on which partitions, and last, but of course not least,
> what you are trying to accomplish.
>

> Thanks :)
>
> Rick
>

> webster72n wrote:
> > Hello All:
> >
> > Belarc Advisor tells me I have 48.56 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive
Capacity
> > and 47.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space.
> > Then why is it, that FDISK tells me a different story?
> > I must confess, the instructions for FDISK and FORMAT Tools are somewhat
> > confusing to me, because of the many
> > possible options or scenarios.
> > I apologize beforehand to Noel, Mike, Jack and all with my humble
request
> > for a simpler, step-by-step description of what exactly to do in this
case,
> > to uncover the obviously available free space of 47 GB's, which actually
is
> > a bit less than 40 GB.
> > As you may have guessed, I am trying to circumvent the use of an outside
> > partitioning tool.
> > Is it possible?
> >
> > Harry.

That's what I was afraid of, Noel.
Thanks.

Harry.

> Not without wiping the drive
>
> --
> Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
>
> Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
> http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> "webster72n" <hbethke@copper.net> wrote in message
> > As you may have guessed, I am trying to circumvent the use of an outside
> > partitioning tool.
> > Is it possible?
> >
> > Harry.

Jon John:

You are describing exactly, what I would have liked to avoid. Was waiting
for a miracle, I guess.
You have been a big help, as well as everyone else involved in my
'excursions'.
Thanks.

Harry.

"John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> As Noel has stated you absolutely cannot do this with fdisk. Fdisk is a
> so called "destructive" partitioning tool as opposed to
> "non-destructive". Like the others have stated you can do it with
> Partition Magic, BootIt NG or other such utilities. You do have a copy
> of PM, don't you? If not BootIt NG is available as a fully functional
> trialware for 30 days, you could use it. If you do, you don't need to
> install it to work the partitions, you can work off the floppy boot.
> When the install screen appears you just click "Cancel" then the program
> will load its tools. I should tell you that if you found fdisk
> confusing you will probably find BootIt a bit bewildering.
>
> Other than that the only advice that I can give you is that you have to
> make a decision and bite the bullet! This is a new installation isn't
> it? Well you will either have to use fdisk and start all over again or
> use a third party partitioning tool and attempt to recover your lost
> disk space, if it fails be prepared to start all over again from
> scratch! You simply cannot leave it as it is, it will be a lot bigger
> headache or problem if you keep on using the drive then decide in 6
> months that you need the lost space. Not to mention that you will be
> cussing at the situation and it will bug you until you make it right.
> The time to fix it is now while the needed information is fresh in your
> mind, not in 6 months or a year from now when it gets full of fog in the
> noggin.
>
> If you want to use fdisk see here for easy to follow and understand
> information: http://www.computerhope.com/fdiskhlp.htm and a simulation
> here: http://www.computerhope.com/sfdisk1.htm
>
> Good luck and godspeed, time to do what needs to be done.
>
> John
>
> webster72n wrote:
>
> > Hello All:
> >
> > Belarc Advisor tells me I have 48.56 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive
Capacity
> > and 47.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space.
> > Then why is it, that FDISK tells me a different story?
> > I must confess, the instructions for FDISK and FORMAT Tools are somewhat
> > confusing to me, because of the many
> > possible options or scenarios.
> > I apologize beforehand to Noel, Mike, Jack and all with my humble
request
> > for a simpler, step-by-step description of what exactly to do in this
case,
> > to uncover the obviously available free space of 47 GB's, which actually
is
> > a bit less than 40 GB.
> > As you may have guessed, I am trying to circumvent the use of an outside
> > partitioning tool.
> > Is it possible?
> >
> > Harry.

After doing my chores I am back to follow up, Rick.
Gathered the info you were looking for and here it is:

1) FDISK: Display Partition Information

Current fixed disk drive: 1
Partition C: 1 2
Status A --
Type PRI DOS EXT DOS
Vol. Label -- --
Mbytes 2047 44273
System FAT16 --
Usage 3% 58%

2) Display Logical DOS Drive Information

Drive D
Vol. Label --
Mbytes 44273
System FAT32
Usage 100%

The Hard Disk has 80 GB's.
If I format just the Cdrive, which contains my OS only,
will I be able to regain the the now missing gigs by choosing "yes" this
time?
Before I go further, I'll wait for your answer.

Harry.

> Harry,
>
> For those of us (well... me at least) who haven't kept up with your
> multiple original postings on the same topic(?), could you summarize?
>
> Please include what drive(s) you have, what fdisk says about each of
> them, what is on which partitions, and last, but of course not least,
> what you are trying to accomplish.
>

> Thanks :)
>
> Rick
>

> webster72n wrote:
> > Hello All:
> >
> > Belarc Advisor tells me I have 48.56 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive
Capacity
> > and 47.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space.
> > Then why is it, that FDISK tells me a different story?
> > I must confess, the instructions for FDISK and FORMAT Tools are somewhat
> > confusing to me, because of the many
> > possible options or scenarios.
> > I apologize beforehand to Noel, Mike, Jack and all with my humble
request
> > for a simpler, step-by-step description of what exactly to do in this
case,
> > to uncover the obviously available free space of 47 GB's, which actually
is
> > a bit less than 40 GB.
> > As you may have guessed, I am trying to circumvent the use of an outside
> > partitioning tool.
> > Is it possible?
> >
> > Harry.

So, you've got an 80GB drive with a 2GB Primary partition with WinME
installed and a 44GB Extended with a Logical 44GB in it with nothing on it.

No idea how you ended up with a 44GB partition.

WinME FDISK should be able to handle it (though 95/98 Fdisk won't), but
WinME FORMAT run from the command line is only good up to 64GB per
partition.

The FORMAT command has no "Yes for LargeDiskSupport" option; that's
FDISK exclusive and is simply M$'s way of confusing customers (Why they
couldn't have said "FAT16 or FAT32 for Adding" partitions is beyond me).

If you change a partition type with FDISK, or reFORMAT it, you will lose
files currently on it.

If I were you I'd play with the Extended Partition in FDISK (delete
Logical, delete Extended, create Extended, create Logical) to see how
much diskspace you can define for D:

Still not really sure of what end result you want, though.

Do you want a single-partition 80GB drive? Use the Disk Utilities that
came with your disk (or download them from the manufacturer)

Rick

webster72n wrote:
> After doing my chores I am back to follow up, Rick.
> Gathered the info you were looking for and here it is:
>
> 1) FDISK: Display Partition Information
>
> Current fixed disk drive: 1
> Partition C: 1 2
> Status A --
> Type PRI DOS EXT DOS
> Vol. Label -- --
> Mbytes 2047 44273
> System FAT16 --
> Usage 3% 58%
>
> 2) Display Logical DOS Drive Information
>
> Drive D
> Vol. Label --
> Mbytes 44273
> System FAT32
> Usage 100%
>
> The Hard Disk has 80 GB's.
> If I format just the Cdrive, which contains my OS only,
> will I be able to regain the the now missing gigs by choosing "yes" this
> time?
> Before I go further, I'll wait for your answer.
>
> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>Harry,
>>
>>For those of us (well... me at least) who haven't kept up with your
>>multiple original postings on the same topic(?), could you summarize?
>>
>>Please include what drive(s) you have, what fdisk says about each of
>>them, what is on which partitions, and last, but of course not least,
>>what you are trying to accomplish.
>>

>>Thanks :)
>>
>>Rick
>>

>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>Hello All:
>>>
>>>Belarc Advisor tells me I have 48.56 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive
>
> Capacity
>
>>>and 47.00 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space.
>>>Then why is it, that FDISK tells me a different story?
>>>I must confess, the instructions for FDISK and FORMAT Tools are somewhat
>>>confusing to me, because of the many
>>>possible options or scenarios.
>>>I apologize beforehand to Noel, Mike, Jack and all with my humble
>
> request
>
>>>for a simpler, step-by-step description of what exactly to do in this
>
> case,
>
>>>to uncover the obviously available free space of 47 GB's, which actually
>
> is
>
>>>a bit less than 40 GB.
>>>As you may have guessed, I am trying to circumvent the use of an outside
>>>partitioning tool.
>>>Is it possible?
>>>
>>> Harry.

Rick:

My plan was to create three local drives, C, D and E.
But since I already have D, I would forget about E and just recrate the full
size of C with the 40 some gigs, by formatting the now existing drive of 2
GB and then with FDISK converting it to FAT 32.
Does that sound right to you?

Harry.

> So, you've got an 80GB drive with a 2GB Primary partition with WinME
> installed and a 44GB Extended with a Logical 44GB in it with nothing on
it.

> No idea how you ended up with a 44GB partition.
>
> WinME FDISK should be able to handle it (though 95/98 Fdisk won't), but
> WinME FORMAT run from the command line is only good up to 64GB per
> partition.
>
> The FORMAT command has no "Yes for LargeDiskSupport" option; that's
> FDISK exclusive and is simply M$'s way of confusing customers (Why they
> couldn't have said "FAT16 or FAT32 for Adding" partitions is beyond me).
>
> If you change a partition type with FDISK, or reFORMAT it, you will lose
> files currently on it.
>
> If I were you I'd play with the Extended Partition in FDISK (delete
> Logical, delete Extended, create Extended, create Logical) to see how
> much diskspace you can define for D:
>

> Still not really sure of what end result you want, though.
>

> Do you want a single-partition 80GB drive? Use the Disk Utilities that
> came with your disk (or download them from the manufacturer)
>

> Rick
>

> webster72n wrote:
> > After doing my chores I am back to follow up, Rick.
> > Gathered the info you were looking for and here it is:
> >
> > 1) FDISK: Display Partition Information
> >
> > Current fixed disk drive: 1
> > Partition C: 1 2
> > Status A --
> > Type PRI DOS EXT DOS
> > Vol. Label -- --
> > Mbytes 2047 44273
> > System FAT16 --
> > Usage 3% 58%
> >
> > 2) Display Logical DOS Drive Information
> >
> > Drive D
> > Vol. Label --
> > Mbytes 44273
> > System FAT32
> > Usage 100%
> >
> > The Hard Disk has 80 GB's.
> > If I format just the Cdrive, which contains my OS only,
> > will I be able to regain the the now missing gigs by choosing "yes" this
> > time?
> > Before I go further, I'll wait for your answer.
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>Harry,
> >>
> >>For those of us (well... me at least) who haven't kept up with your
> >>multiple original postings on the same topic(?), could you summarize?
> >>
> >>Please include what drive(s) you have, what fdisk says about each of
> >>them, what is on which partitions, and last, but of course not least,
> >>what you are trying to accomplish.
> >>

> >>Thanks :)
> >>
> >>Rick

> > Capacity

> > request

> > case,

> > is

TomV

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002

Harry,

You may be interested in looking at Ranish Partition Manager. It's a
freeware utility that may help you accomplish what you want. Version
2.40 is the latest stable release. I've not used it, so I can't speak
to its ease of use.

Here's the link:

http://www.ranish.com/part/

Tom

webster72n wrote:
> Rick:
>
> My plan was to create three local drives, C, D and E.
> But since I already have D, I would forget about E and just recrate the full
> size of C with the 40 some gigs, by formatting the now existing drive of 2
> GB and then with FDISK converting it to FAT 32.
> Does that sound right to you?
>
> Harry.

More or less, I suppose, but you have to create a partition (using
FDISK) before you can FORMAT it... doesn't really work too good the
other way around (with a few exceptions).

So how'd the playing with the EXTENDED and LOGICAL (D:) partition go ?
Were you able to extend to the end of the disk by Deleting Logical then
Deleting Extended then Adding Extended (to the end of the disk) and
Adding Logical (to the end of the Extended Partition) ?

Rick

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>So, you've got an 80GB drive with a 2GB Primary partition with WinME
>>installed and a 44GB Extended with a Logical 44GB in it with nothing on
>
> it.

Rick:

I didn't 'play' with the extended partition (drive D?) yet and don't plan on
doing it either. I meant the drive C.
I have all my programs and 'stuff' on drive D and maybe at a later date
install WinXP on it.
If I can't do anything with C the way it is, I will let it be.
Don't need more than 40 GB's.
Right now I have almost all my previous applications
or programs recovered, except for EZ Virus and Firewall.
Did already contact them and in the meantime have Avast and Sygate working
for me.
How does that sound to you?

Harry.

> webster72n wrote:
> > Rick:
> >
> > My plan was to create three local drives, C, D and E.
> > But since I already have D, I would forget about E and just recrate the
full
> > size of C with the 40 some gigs, by formatting the now existing drive of
2
> > GB and then with FDISK converting it to FAT 32.
> > Does that sound right to you?
> >
> > Harry.
>
> More or less, I suppose, but you have to create a partition (using
> FDISK) before you can FORMAT it... doesn't really work too good the
> other way around (with a few exceptions).
>
> So how'd the playing with the EXTENDED and LOGICAL (D:) partition go ?
> Were you able to extend to the end of the disk by Deleting Logical then
> Deleting Extended then Adding Extended (to the end of the disk) and
> Adding Logical (to the end of the Extended Partition) ?
>

> Rick
>

> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> >>So, you've got an 80GB drive with a 2GB Primary partition with WinME
> >>installed and a 44GB Extended with a Logical 44GB in it with nothing on
> >
> > it.

Sounds like things are back to normal, Harry .

webster72n wrote:
> Rick:
>
> I didn't 'play' with the extended partition (drive D?) yet and don't plan on
> doing it either. I meant the drive C.
> I have all my programs and 'stuff' on drive D and maybe at a later date
> install WinXP on it.
> If I can't do anything with C the way it is, I will let it be.
> Don't need more than 40 GB's.
> Right now I have almost all my previous applications
> or programs recovered, except for EZ Virus and Firewall.
> Did already contact them and in the meantime have Avast and Sygate working
> for me.
> How does that sound to you?
>
> Harry.
>

> "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>webster72n wrote:
>>
>>>Rick:
>>>
>>>My plan was to create three local drives, C, D and E.
>>>But since I already have D, I would forget about E and just recrate the
>
> full
>
>>>size of C with the 40 some gigs, by formatting the now existing drive of
>
> 2
>
>>>GB and then with FDISK converting it to FAT 32.
>>>Does that sound right to you?
>>>
>>> Harry.
>>
>>More or less, I suppose, but you have to create a partition (using
>>FDISK) before you can FORMAT it... doesn't really work too good the
>>other way around (with a few exceptions).
>>
>>So how'd the playing with the EXTENDED and LOGICAL (D:) partition go ?
>>Were you able to extend to the end of the disk by Deleting Logical then
>>Deleting Extended then Adding Extended (to the end of the disk) and
>>Adding Logical (to the end of the Extended Partition) ?
>>

>>Rick
>>

>>>"Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>it.

I'll give it a try, Tom, sounds mighty good to me.
Thanks.

Harry.

"TomV" <t@nospam.net> wrote in message
> Harry,
>
> You may be interested in looking at Ranish Partition Manager. It's a
> freeware utility that may help you accomplish what you want. Version
> 2.40 is the latest stable release. I've not used it, so I can't speak
> to its ease of use.
>
> Here's the link:
>
> http://www.ranish.com/part/
>
> Tom
>
> webster72n wrote:
>
> > Rick:
> >
> > My plan was to create three local drives, C, D and E.
> > But since I already have D, I would forget about E and just recrate the
full
> > size of C with the 40 some gigs, by formatting the now existing drive of
2
> > GB and then with FDISK converting it to FAT 32.
> > Does that sound right to you?
> >
> > Harry.

I surely hope and think so, too, Rick.

Harry.

> Sounds like things are back to normal, Harry .
>

> webster72n wrote:
> > Rick:
> >
> > I didn't 'play' with the extended partition (drive D?) yet and don't
plan on
> > doing it either. I meant the drive C.
> > I have all my programs and 'stuff' on drive D and maybe at a later date
> > install WinXP on it.
> > If I can't do anything with C the way it is, I will let it be.
> > Don't need more than 40 GB's.
> > Right now I have almost all my previous applications
> > or programs recovered, except for EZ Virus and Firewall.
> > Did already contact them and in the meantime have Avast and Sygate
working
> > for me.
> > How does that sound to you?
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > "Rick T" <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> > full

> > 2

> >>More or less, I suppose, but you have to create a partition (using
> >>FDISK) before you can FORMAT it... doesn't really work too good the
> >>other way around (with a few exceptions).
> >>
> >>So how'd the playing with the EXTENDED and LOGICAL (D:) partition go ?
> >>Were you able to extend to the end of the disk by Deleting Logical then
> >>Deleting Extended then Adding Extended (to the end of the disk) and
> >>Adding Logical (to the end of the Extended Partition) ?
> >>

> >>Rick

Pretty complicated compared to BootIt NG, requires a degree of
understanding of disk structure and geometry, at least the earlier
versions did, works well though. Just look at a screenshot:
http://www.ranish.com/part/part.gif It's not exactly intuitive to say
the least.

John

TomV wrote:

> Harry,
>
> You may be interested in looking at Ranish Partition Manager. It's a
> freeware utility that may help you accomplish what you want. Version
> 2.40 is the latest stable release. I've not used it, so I can't speak
> to its ease of use.
>
> Here's the link:
>
> http://www.ranish.com/part/
>
> Tom
>
> webster72n wrote:
>
>> Rick:
>>
>> My plan was to create three local drives, C, D and E.
>> But since I already have D, I would forget about E and just recrate
>> the full
>> size of C with the 40 some gigs, by formatting the now existing drive
>> of 2
>> GB and then with FDISK converting it to FAT 32.
>> Does that sound right to you?
>>
>> Harry.

I downloaded the stable version, John John.
Looks intriguing to me.
Whenever I find time, I will study it and once I fully understand it, give
it a try.
It seems a lot like PM8, if I recall correctly.
We'll see.

webster72n wrote:
> I surely hope and think so, too, Rick.

<sigh> and for some reason I feel unable to keep from adding this...

If you have PKWare or another compression/decompression program on your
system (on C: somewhere) then you can...

(these are *general* not specific instructions)
a) boot from a floppy
b) squish D: into an archived file on C: (if there's enough room)
c) play with FDISK to increase the Extended partition to the end of the
disk.
d) increase the size of D: or add E: using FDISK
e) unsquish the D: archive back onto D:
f) boot into Windows

Bearing in mind you really have to know how to use the compression
program to make sure directory structures and attributes stay the same;
also this will probably temporarily seriously annoy at least one of your
anti-malware programs.

Rick