PC Wont Boot After Installing PCI Firewire

Hi

I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device

I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
both connected by IDE.

Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so it
must be something I am doing wrong with that.

Thanks in advance
Diane

---
More about wont boot installing firewire

    what PCI slot did you use?>
    Do not use the one under the AGP slot.
    You may have to 'reset configuration data' in the bios.

    Diane wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
    > firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
    > turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
    > Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
    > Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
    >
    > I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
    > barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
    > both connected by IDE.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so it
    > must be something I am doing wrong with that.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Diane
    >

    > ---

    Did you read all of the instructions packaged with the card, PLUS, go to
    the website for any errata data?

    Did you follow the directions? and, load the DRIVERS before plugging in
    the card??? So that the card can boot with it's own IRQ's?

    Does it show up in any of the LiveCD bootup logs? You do a hardware
    test, using a LiveCD?

    FREE LiveCDs boot from the CDrom, run in RAM. They demonstrate complete
    functionality of a system, whenever there are questions about any X86
    system.
    http://knopper.net/knoppix

    or,

    "patrick" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
    > Diane wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
    >> firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
    >> turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
    >> Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
    >> Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
    >>
    >> I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
    >> barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
    >> both connected by IDE.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so
    >> it must be something I am doing wrong with that.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Diane
    >>

    >> ---
    > Did you read all of the instructions packaged with the card, PLUS, go to
    > the website for any errata data?
    >
    > Did you follow the directions? and, load the DRIVERS before plugging in
    > the card??? So that the card can boot with it's own IRQ's?
    >
    > Does it show up in any of the LiveCD bootup logs? You do a hardware test,
    > using a LiveCD?
    >
    > FREE LiveCDs boot from the CDrom, run in RAM. They demonstrate complete
    > functionality of a system, whenever there are questions about any X86
    > system.
    > http://knopper.net/knoppix
    >
    > or,
    >
    > http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

    Thanks for your reply. Yes, I read the instructions, such as they were, they
    just said to slot the card into the spare pci slot and then turn the pc back
    on, and it says on the manufacturers website that no drivers are needed when
    you are using Windows XP. I'm sorry but I don't understand the rest of
    your reply, (I'm not that technically minded), I don't know what LIVE CD is,
    and how can I run anything on the pc if it won't boot up?

    ---

    Hi JAD

    I used the middle PCI slot, not the one right next to the AGP. I will try a
    different slot today though and if that doesnt work, I will try 'reset
    configuration data'.

    Diane

    "JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
    > what PCI slot did you use?>
    > Do not use the one under the AGP slot.
    > You may have to 'reset configuration data' in the bios.
    >

    > "Diane" <diane@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a
    > pci
    >> firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when
    >> turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
    >> Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
    >> Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
    >>
    >> I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from
    >> barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive
    > which are
    >> both connected by IDE.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up
    > normally so it
    >> must be something I am doing wrong with that.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Diane
    >>

    >> ---

    ---

    With some of my old AMD builds (MSI motherboards and Athlon XP1700's ) I had
    a similar problem with installing network cards. When I flashed the MB's
    BIOS to the latest version it went away. Another thing to consider is the
    card's chipset. If the BIOS flash does not cure it you may want to consider
    another card with a different chipset.
    "Diane" <diane@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
    > firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
    > turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
    > Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
    > Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
    >
    > I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
    > barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
    > both connected by IDE.
    >
    > Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so
    > it must be something I am doing wrong with that.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Diane
    >

    > ---

    Thanks everyone
    This morning I tried installing the Firewire PCI card again, (in the same
    slot), and in one of the other spare slots I put a USB2 PCI card that I had
    bought for my old pc and which didn't work on that system. Windows loaded
    with no problem, it recognised both cards but yet again when I tried to use
    a USB device on the USB card it just says device not recognised. So I have
    taken that out now and just left the Firewire card in, and it is listed on
    the device manager but I can't test if it's actually working till I get a
    mini dv in a couple of weeks time. At least my pc is booting up normally
    now. I will bear in mind the Bios suggestion if I have further problems
    with it.
    Fingers crossed!
    Diane

    "BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
    > With some of my old AMD builds (MSI motherboards and Athlon XP1700's ) I
    > had a similar problem with installing network cards. When I flashed the
    > MB's BIOS to the latest version it went away. Another thing to consider
    > is the card's chipset. If the BIOS flash does not cure it you may want to
    > consider another card with a different chipset.
    > "Diane" <diane@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
    >> firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
    >> turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
    >> Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
    >> Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
    >>
    >> I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
    >> barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
    >> both connected by IDE.
    >>
    >> Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so
    >> it must be something I am doing wrong with that.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Diane
    >>

    >> ---

    ---