Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

PC Wont Boot After Installing PCI Firewire

Last response: in Systems
Share
November 3, 2004 2:54:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi

I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device

I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
both connected by IDE.

Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so it
must be something I am doing wrong with that.

Thanks in advance
Diane


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 29/10/2004
November 3, 2004 2:54:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

what PCI slot did you use?>
Do not use the one under the AGP slot.
You may have to 'reset configuration data' in the bios.


"Diane" <diane@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:gG3id.9192$Fu2.3545@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a
pci
> firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when
I
> turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
> Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
> Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
>
> I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from
a
> barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive
which are
> both connected by IDE.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up
normally so it
> must be something I am doing wrong with that.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Diane
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 29/10/2004
>
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2004 6:53:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Diane wrote:
> Hi
>
> I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
> firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
> turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
> Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
> Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
>
> I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
> barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
> both connected by IDE.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so it
> must be something I am doing wrong with that.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Diane
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 29/10/2004
>
>
Did you read all of the instructions packaged with the card, PLUS, go to
the website for any errata data?

Did you follow the directions? and, load the DRIVERS before plugging in
the card??? So that the card can boot with it's own IRQ's?

Does it show up in any of the LiveCD bootup logs? You do a hardware
test, using a LiveCD?

FREE LiveCDs boot from the CDrom, run in RAM. They demonstrate complete
functionality of a system, whenever there are questions about any X86
system.
http://knopper.net/knoppix

or,

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
Related resources
November 3, 2004 9:09:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

"patrick" <uce@ftc.gov> wrote in message
news:U97id.1016$6w6.921@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> Diane wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
>> firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
>> turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
>> Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
>> Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
>>
>> I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
>> barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
>> both connected by IDE.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so
>> it must be something I am doing wrong with that.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Diane
>>
>>
>> ---
>> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>> Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 29/10/2004
> Did you read all of the instructions packaged with the card, PLUS, go to
> the website for any errata data?
>
> Did you follow the directions? and, load the DRIVERS before plugging in
> the card??? So that the card can boot with it's own IRQ's?
>
> Does it show up in any of the LiveCD bootup logs? You do a hardware test,
> using a LiveCD?
>
> FREE LiveCDs boot from the CDrom, run in RAM. They demonstrate complete
> functionality of a system, whenever there are questions about any X86
> system.
> http://knopper.net/knoppix
>
> or,
>
> http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I read the instructions, such as they were, they
just said to slot the card into the spare pci slot and then turn the pc back
on, and it says on the manufacturers website that no drivers are needed when
you are using Windows XP. I'm sorry but I don't understand the rest of
your reply, (I'm not that technically minded), I don't know what LIVE CD is,
and how can I run anything on the pc if it won't boot up?



---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 29/10/2004
November 4, 2004 10:00:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Hi JAD

I used the middle PCI slot, not the one right next to the AGP. I will try a
different slot today though and if that doesnt work, I will try 'reset
configuration data'.

Diane

"JAD" <Kapasitor@coldmail.com> wrote in message
news:10oi7tbisna3le0@corp.supernews.com...
> what PCI slot did you use?>
> Do not use the one under the AGP slot.
> You may have to 'reset configuration data' in the bios.
>
>
> "Diane" <diane@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:gG3id.9192$Fu2.3545@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hi
>>
>> I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a
> pci
>> firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when
> I
>> turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
>> Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
>> Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
>>
>> I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from
> a
>> barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive
> which are
>> both connected by IDE.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up
> normally so it
>> must be something I am doing wrong with that.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Diane
>>
>>
>> ---
>> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>> Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 29/10/2004
>>
>>
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 29/10/2004
November 4, 2004 8:14:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

With some of my old AMD builds (MSI motherboards and Athlon XP1700's ) I had
a similar problem with installing network cards. When I flashed the MB's
BIOS to the latest version it went away. Another thing to consider is the
card's chipset. If the BIOS flash does not cure it you may want to consider
another card with a different chipset.
"Diane" <diane@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news:gG3id.9192$Fu2.3545@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
> Hi
>
> I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
> firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
> turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
> Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
> Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
>
> I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
> barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
> both connected by IDE.
>
> Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so
> it must be something I am doing wrong with that.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Diane
>
>
> ---
> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
> Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 29/10/2004
>
November 5, 2004 2:23:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

Thanks everyone
This morning I tried installing the Firewire PCI card again, (in the same
slot), and in one of the other spare slots I put a USB2 PCI card that I had
bought for my old pc and which didn't work on that system. Windows loaded
with no problem, it recognised both cards but yet again when I tried to use
a USB device on the USB card it just says device not recognised. So I have
taken that out now and just left the Firewire card in, and it is listed on
the device manager but I can't test if it's actually working till I get a
mini dv in a couple of weeks time. At least my pc is booting up normally
now. I will bear in mind the Bios suggestion if I have further problems
with it.
Fingers crossed!
Diane

"BudMan" <notme@none.net> wrote in message
news:GqGdnU5FBos6NBfcRVn-qg@comcast.com...
> With some of my old AMD builds (MSI motherboards and Athlon XP1700's ) I
> had a similar problem with installing network cards. When I flashed the
> MB's BIOS to the latest version it went away. Another thing to consider
> is the card's chipset. If the BIOS flash does not cure it you may want to
> consider another card with a different chipset.
> "Diane" <diane@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:gG3id.9192$Fu2.3545@fe1.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
>> Hi
>>
>> I hope someone will be able to help me with this. I just bought a pci
>> firewire card (3 port) and slotted it into the motherboard, but when I
>> turned on the pc, it wouldnt boot past the page saying:
>> Serial_Ch0 Master: No Device
>> Serial_Ch1 Master: No Device
>>
>> I have a new system (windows XP, athlon xp3000, 512 ram) built from a
>> barebones system from novatech and a new DVD Rom and Hard Drive which are
>> both connected by IDE.
>>
>> Anyone got any ideas? I removed the card and the pc boots up normally so
>> it must be something I am doing wrong with that.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Diane
>>
>>
>> ---
>> Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
>> Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
>> Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 29/10/2004
>>
>
>


---
Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
Version: 6.0.786 / Virus Database: 532 - Release Date: 30/10/2004
!