Problem with Millenium upgrade to XP

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On attempting to upgrade Millenium Edition to XP Pro, I have encountered the
following error message:" An error occurred copying file "COMCTL.DL_" to the
appropriate C drive location in i386. The following quote "the file is
missing" is a bit of a worry. Am i best to clean install or is there a way
around this?
6 answers Last reply
More about problem millenium upgrade
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Have you tried carrying out the upgrade again? If not do so as the
    problem could be as simple as either a dirty XP CD or a dirty CD-ROM. Are
    you sure about the error message referring to COMCTL.DL_ rather than
    COMCTL32.DL_ as XP, whilst containing a file named comctl.32.dll contains
    no file named comctl.dll which is the file to which a file called
    comctl.dl_ would be expanded on installation.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    darkwater <darkwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > On attempting to upgrade Millenium Edition to XP Pro, I have
    > encountered the following error message:" An error occurred copying
    > file "COMCTL.DL_" to the appropriate C drive location in i386. The
    > following quote "the file is missing" is a bit of a worry. Am i best
    > to clean install or is there a way around this?
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hi Mike,
    Yes, you are right, it is a problem with comctl.32.dll. I have tried the
    upgrade 4 times now. Do you think that just cleaning the disk and the driver
    would solve the error message?
    darkwater

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Have you tried carrying out the upgrade again? If not do so as the
    > problem could be as simple as either a dirty XP CD or a dirty CD-ROM. Are
    > you sure about the error message referring to COMCTL.DL_ rather than
    > COMCTL32.DL_ as XP, whilst containing a file named comctl.32.dll contains
    > no file named comctl.dll which is the file to which a file called
    > comctl.dl_ would be expanded on installation.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    >
    > darkwater <darkwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > On attempting to upgrade Millenium Edition to XP Pro, I have
    > > encountered the following error message:" An error occurred copying
    > > file "COMCTL.DL_" to the appropriate C drive location in i386. The
    > > following quote "the file is missing" is a bit of a worry. Am i best
    > > to clean install or is there a way around this?
    >
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Provided that you have adequate free space on your hard disk, and I don't
    think the upgrade will even start unless this is true, then yes, I think
    the problem is probably due to a scratched or dirty XP CD and or just
    possibly, but less so, dirty CD-ROM reader. I would certainly suggest
    gently cleaning the CD.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    darkwater <darkwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    > Yes, you are right, it is a problem with comctl.32.dll. I have tried
    > the upgrade 4 times now. Do you think that just cleaning the disk and
    > the driver would solve the error message?
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Hi Mike,
    Sorry to have to say this but even cleaning the cd gently has still posted
    the same error message:"An error occurred copying file"comctl.dl_ to
    C:\$win_nt$.~ls\i386\asms\60100\msft\windows\common\controls\comctl.32.dll"
    "the file is missing"
    I am beginning to get to my wits end. Any other ideas? Should i do a
    complete reinstall?
    darkwater

    "Mike M" wrote:

    > Provided that you have adequate free space on your hard disk, and I don't
    > think the upgrade will even start unless this is true, then yes, I think
    > the problem is probably due to a scratched or dirty XP CD and or just
    > possibly, but less so, dirty CD-ROM reader. I would certainly suggest
    > gently cleaning the CD.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >
    >
    > darkwater <darkwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Mike,
    > > Yes, you are right, it is a problem with comctl.32.dll. I have tried
    > > the upgrade 4 times now. Do you think that just cleaning the disk and
    > > the driver would solve the error message?
    >
    >
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    Since your problem is in copying a file from the XP CD it shouldn't make
    any difference whether you upgrade or clean install. Once again you
    mention COMCTL.DL_ and again I have to say that the XP CD contains no such
    file and the file is instead called COMCTL32.DL_ so if the message you are
    seeing does indeed say COMCTL.DL_ then the problem could be due to a
    damaged or corrupt script file used by the installer.

    With Win Me running open Windows Explorer and check the XP CD and you will
    find that COMCTL32.DL_ is located in the I386 folder.

    May I suggest that you post problems relating to the installation of XP to
    a newsgroup supporting XP rather than one supporting Win Me as it is
    possible that you will find someone there who has seen this error before
    and knows how to fix it.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com


    darkwater <darkwater@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    > Sorry to have to say this but even cleaning the cd gently has still
    > posted the same error message:"An error occurred copying
    > file"comctl.dl_ to
    > C:\$win_nt$.~ls\i386\asms\60100\msft\windows\common\controls\comctl.32.dll"
    > "the file is missing"
    > I am beginning to get to my wits end. Any other ideas? Should i do a
    > complete reinstall?
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    "Mike M" <No_Spam@Corned_Beef.Only> wrote in
    news:upFB8a$AFHA.1396@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl:

    > Since your problem is in copying a file from the XP CD it shouldn't
    > make any difference whether you upgrade or clean install. Once again
    > you mention COMCTL.DL_ and again I have to say that the XP CD contains
    > no such file and the file is instead called COMCTL32.DL_ so if the
    > message you are seeing does indeed say COMCTL.DL_ then the problem
    > could be due to a damaged or corrupt script file used by the
    > installer.
    >
    > With Win Me running open Windows Explorer and check the XP CD and you
    > will find that COMCTL32.DL_ is located in the I386 folder.
    >
    > May I suggest that you post problems relating to the installation of
    > XP to a newsgroup supporting XP rather than one supporting Win Me as
    > it is possible that you will find someone there who has seen this
    > error before and knows how to fix it.

    Hi Guy's, i just thought maybe i could help out here a bit? My very 1st XP
    install was a win98 upgrade. The install went in perfectly and ran like a
    charm, until about 2 weeks later the system wouldn't boot! I started
    getting errors about missng files (can't remember which one's) So i did a
    deep investigation on the problem in various NGs. Sure there was a fix,
    lots of regestry modifing. But,I also found out that in some cases it can
    be an never ending problem because XP was designed to run with NTFS. Sure
    it can read fat16 an 32, but strangly enough it can also interpret fat16 &
    32 wrong. The more I studied about XP upgrades, then more i learned it was
    just best to do a clean install using NTFS. Myself i'd rather have ME, XP
    on an older PC can be very slugish? Mike's correct XP newsgroups can
    probably help ya? wopper
Ask a new question

Read More

Millenium Windows XP Windows