Can I ditch my front intake fan?

mark

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

System:

Athlon 64 3000 ( NOT overlocked )
Zalman CNPS 7000A-CU Cooler
Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W PSU
9600SE heatsinked Graphics card
200GB Maxtor SATA
Coolermaster Alluminium case
1 SilenX intake fan, 1 SilenX exhaust

I'm close to almost having a silent PC. The case is lined with acoustipack
damping foam(works great) and the HDD is placed in a SilentMaxx
silencer(wors great too). The noisiest thing in my case now and the two
SilenX fans, if you can believe that, cosidering these are highly rated
quiet performers. I'm not sure whether they are generating some case rattle,
the rear one does for sure but it's hard to tell with the front intake
fan...

My system never seems to get hot, and so far have had no problems with
heating issues. Which leads me to wondering whether or not I can safely
remove the front intake fan and not be paranoid about overheating inside the
case? If I could remove the fron intake fan and deal with the slighlty
screw/case rattling of the rear fan I'm down to Xbox levels of ommited noise
:)

"mark" <mark@localhost.com> wrote in message

> case? If I could remove the fron intake fan and deal with the slighlty
> screw/case rattling of the rear fan I'm down to Xbox levels of ommited
noise
> :)

I'll just correct that. Just turned on the Xbox(outside the tv cabinet) for
side by side comparison and the PC is way quieter!

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

"mark" <mark@localhost.com> wrote in message
> System:
>
> Athlon 64 3000 ( NOT overlocked )
> Zalman CNPS 7000A-CU Cooler
> Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W PSU
> 9600SE heatsinked Graphics card
> 200GB Maxtor SATA
> Coolermaster Alluminium case
> 1 SilenX intake fan, 1 SilenX exhaust
>
> I'm close to almost having a silent PC. The case is lined with acoustipack
> damping foam(works great) and the HDD is placed in a SilentMaxx
> silencer(wors great too). The noisiest thing in my case now and the two
> SilenX fans, if you can believe that, cosidering these are highly rated
> quiet performers. I'm not sure whether they are generating some case
rattle,
> the rear one does for sure but it's hard to tell with the front intake
> fan...
>
> My system never seems to get hot, and so far have had no problems with
> heating issues. Which leads me to wondering whether or not I can safely
> remove the front intake fan and not be paranoid about overheating inside
the
> case? If I could remove the fron intake fan and deal with the slighlty
> screw/case rattling of the rear fan I'm down to Xbox levels of ommited
noise
> :)

IMO you can ditch it, if you just have 1 in & 1 out then you will still have
the same airflow just by
having the one out as long as you leave the front vents open.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 16:39:49 -0000 It was a dark and stormy night when
"Rob" <rob@convery.me.uk> wrote :

>"mark" <mark@localhost.com> wrote in message
>> System:
>>
>> Athlon 64 3000 ( NOT overlocked )
>> Zalman CNPS 7000A-CU Cooler
>> Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W PSU
>> 9600SE heatsinked Graphics card
>> 200GB Maxtor SATA
>> Coolermaster Alluminium case
>> 1 SilenX intake fan, 1 SilenX exhaust
>>
>> I'm close to almost having a silent PC. The case is lined with acoustipack
>> damping foam(works great) and the HDD is placed in a SilentMaxx
>> silencer(wors great too). The noisiest thing in my case now and the two
>> SilenX fans, if you can believe that, cosidering these are highly rated
>> quiet performers. I'm not sure whether they are generating some case
>rattle,
>> the rear one does for sure but it's hard to tell with the front intake
>> fan...
>>
>> My system never seems to get hot, and so far have had no problems with
>> heating issues. Which leads me to wondering whether or not I can safely
>> remove the front intake fan and not be paranoid about overheating inside
>the
>> case? If I could remove the fron intake fan and deal with the slighlty
>> screw/case rattling of the rear fan I'm down to Xbox levels of ommited
>noise
>> :)
>>
>IMO you can ditch it, if you just have 1 in & 1 out then you will still have
>the same airflow just by
>having the one out as long as you leave the front vents open.

Ditto :p

--
Free Windows/PC help,
remove obvious to reply

Phisherman

I just wondering about these large 120mm DC fans. If you put a
resister in series with one of the legs, the fan should slow down.
Has anyone tried this? Did you use a one ohm resister?

Phisherman wrote:

> I just wondering about these large 120mm DC fans. If you put a
> resister in series with one of the legs, the fan should slow down.
> Has anyone tried this? Did you use a one ohm resister?

If you want negligible speed reduction, one ohm would be fine. Otherwise,
a minimum value of 20 ohms is recommended.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Just get a fan controller and knock them fans down to 7volts, problem
solved and you will still have airflow to keep your pc cool :), well
thats what i did.

My pc is quiet and i have a 120mm front,side,top and two rear 80mm
fans all running at 7 volts, i can barely notice my pc is going.

And with my Zalman 7000a Cu cpu cooler its bliss :)

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 12:59:46 -0000, "mark" <mark@localhost.com> wrote:

>System:
>
>Athlon 64 3000 ( NOT overlocked )
>Zalman CNPS 7000A-CU Cooler
>Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W PSU
>9600SE heatsinked Graphics card
>200GB Maxtor SATA
>Coolermaster Alluminium case
>1 SilenX intake fan, 1 SilenX exhaust
>
>I'm close to almost having a silent PC. The case is lined with acoustipack
>damping foam(works great) and the HDD is placed in a SilentMaxx
>silencer(wors great too). The noisiest thing in my case now and the two
>SilenX fans, if you can believe that, cosidering these are highly rated
>quiet performers. I'm not sure whether they are generating some case rattle,
>the rear one does for sure but it's hard to tell with the front intake
>fan...
>
>My system never seems to get hot, and so far have had no problems with
>heating issues. Which leads me to wondering whether or not I can safely
>remove the front intake fan and not be paranoid about overheating inside the
>case? If I could remove the fron intake fan and deal with the slighlty
>screw/case rattling of the rear fan I'm down to Xbox levels of ommited noise
>:)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

> Just get a fan controller and knock them fans down to 7volts, problem
> solved and you will still have airflow to keep your pc cool :), well
> thats what i did.

I too use the Zalman Flower cooler. No need to buy a voltage regulator -
just swap the 12v pin with the 5v (yellow and red) in one of your spare HD
power connectors and plug the fans into that - hey presto a 12v fan down to
a silent 5v. Just make sure they start properly - some older fans won't
start at 5v - they need a little help to get going, but fine once they have
some momentum and are spinning.

papa

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On every PC I have built, the "burn-in" period (about 24 hours) is done with
no case fans unless something becomes noticeably hot, What I do is every 30
minutes or so to feel the video card, the CPU heat sink, the hard drive(s),
and the CD-ROM drive(s). If they feel uncomfortable to the touch, I add a
case fan.

If there are any doubts, use a case fan.

"mark" <mark@localhost.com> wrote in message
> System:
>
> Athlon 64 3000 ( NOT overlocked )
> Zalman CNPS 7000A-CU Cooler
> Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W PSU
> 9600SE heatsinked Graphics card
> 200GB Maxtor SATA
> Coolermaster Alluminium case
> 1 SilenX intake fan, 1 SilenX exhaust
>
> I'm close to almost having a silent PC. The case is lined with acoustipack
> damping foam(works great) and the HDD is placed in a SilentMaxx
> silencer(wors great too). The noisiest thing in my case now and the two
> SilenX fans, if you can believe that, cosidering these are highly rated
> quiet performers. I'm not sure whether they are generating some case
> rattle,
> the rear one does for sure but it's hard to tell with the front intake
> fan...
>
> My system never seems to get hot, and so far have had no problems with
> heating issues. Which leads me to wondering whether or not I can safely
> remove the front intake fan and not be paranoid about overheating inside
> the
> case? If I could remove the fron intake fan and deal with the slighlty
> screw/case rattling of the rear fan I'm down to Xbox levels of ommited
> noise
> :)

HarrY

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:38:30 GMT, "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote:

>On every PC I have built, the "burn-in" period (about 24 hours) is done with
>no case fans unless something becomes noticeably hot, What I do is every 30
>minutes or so to feel the video card, the CPU heat sink, the hard drive(s),
>and the CD-ROM drive(s). If they feel uncomfortable to the touch, I add a
>case fan.

Just out of curiosity, what does your burn in process involve? Do you
run a set software product during the burn in? Is it a constant run of
the software? Do you check temps? If so, what do you consider
acceptable limits?

Harry

>If there are any doubts, use a case fan.
>
>"mark" <mark@localhost.com> wrote in message
>> System:
>>
>> Athlon 64 3000 ( NOT overlocked )
>> Zalman CNPS 7000A-CU Cooler
>> Zalman ZM400B-APS 400W PSU
>> 9600SE heatsinked Graphics card
>> 200GB Maxtor SATA
>> Coolermaster Alluminium case
>> 1 SilenX intake fan, 1 SilenX exhaust
>>
>> I'm close to almost having a silent PC. The case is lined with acoustipack
>> damping foam(works great) and the HDD is placed in a SilentMaxx
>> silencer(wors great too). The noisiest thing in my case now and the two
>> SilenX fans, if you can believe that, cosidering these are highly rated
>> quiet performers. I'm not sure whether they are generating some case
>> rattle,
>> the rear one does for sure but it's hard to tell with the front intake
>> fan...
>>
>> My system never seems to get hot, and so far have had no problems with
>> heating issues. Which leads me to wondering whether or not I can safely
>> remove the front intake fan and not be paranoid about overheating inside
>> the
>> case? If I could remove the fron intake fan and deal with the slighlty
>> screw/case rattling of the rear fan I'm down to Xbox levels of ommited
>> noise
>> :)

papa

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

Just installing the OS will be a pretty good test of the major hardware in a
PC. Beyond that, repeated read/writes to the HD, testing of RAM, etc. is
called for - along with a careful observation of temperatures. Try Winstone
for a good program.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt (More info?)

On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 16:21:34 GMT, "Gareth Tuckwell"
<ContactGT@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> Just get a fan controller and knock them fans down to 7volts, problem
>> solved and you will still have airflow to keep your pc cool :), well
>> thats what i did.
>
>I too use the Zalman Flower cooler.

Me too, they're great.

>No need to buy a voltage regulator -
>just swap the 12v pin with the 5v (yellow and red) in one of your spare HD
>power connectors and plug the fans into that - hey presto a 12v fan down to
>a silent 5v.

One thing - don't _swap_ the yellow and red, pull the yellow 12v and
tape it up, then put the red 5V in the 12v hole and use your new 5v
connector to run the fans.

I blew up a CDRW by accidentally using the modified connector when
fumbling around (I only wanted to eject the disk I'd accidentally left
in the drive, too). Don't be as dim as me, kids.

Cheers - Jaimie
--
"First they came for the verbs, and I said nothing because verbing weirds
language. Then they arrival for the nouns, and I speech nothing because