A question for The Patchers - Josef & Co.

Archived from groups: alt.games.microprose.transport-tyc (More info?)

I apologise if this has been raised before, but...

Will 'The Patch' be maintained now that Locomotion has arrived?

Or will there soon be a LocoPatch?

Maybe Josef should get in touch with Lord Chris (and finally earn a
well-deserved dollar for his great Tycooning efforts) by collaborating
with the bugfixes, documentation deficiencies and gameplay enhancements
in Locomotion II.

(BTW: I prefer the name "Transportation")

Still, folks. You can't bitch too much. Lord Chris has finally
delivered on his promise to upgrade TTD!

--

nylon.net
Transport Tycoon: http://nylon.net/ttd

nylon.net schrieb:

> Still, folks. You can't bitch too much. Lord Chris has finally
> delivered on his promise to upgrade TTD!

A really bad "upgrade". Locomotion does neither look nicer nor play
better than TTD.

OpenTTD already rules away Locomotion by far.

"Mario Schmidt" <mario.schmidt@mediavillage.de> wrote in message
> nylon.net schrieb:
>
>> Still, folks. You can't bitch too much. Lord Chris has finally
>> delivered on his promise to upgrade TTD!
>
> A really bad "upgrade". Locomotion does neither look nicer nor play better
> than TTD.
>
> OpenTTD already rules away Locomotion by far.

Agreed 100%

Bob

nylon.net wrote on Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:09:44 +1000:
> I apologise if this has been raised before, but...
>
> Will 'The Patch' be maintained now that Locomotion has arrived?

Once I get over the most pressing "just another dual track line to
finish" urges, I'll probably go back to the patch.

> Or will there soon be a LocoPatch?

At the moment this is unlikely. Locomotion's EULA explicitly forbids
what the patch does, and until a lawyer tells me that that provision is
void, I'm not going to do anything... (which is another reason why I'll
in ways unimagined before...)

> Maybe Josef should get in touch with Lord Chris (and finally earn a
> well-deserved dollar for his great Tycooning efforts) by collaborating
> with the bugfixes, documentation deficiencies and gameplay enhancements
> in Locomotion II.

Heh, keep dreaming :)

--
Josef Drexler | http://publish.uwo.ca/~jdrexler/
---------------------------------+---------------------------------------

Mario Schmidt wrote on Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:12:23 +0200:
> nylon.net schrieb:
>
> > Still, folks. You can't bitch too much. Lord Chris has finally
> > delivered on his promise to upgrade TTD!
>
> A really bad "upgrade". Locomotion does neither look nicer nor play
> better than TTD.

In your humble(?) opinion. I personally find it more fun, actually,
mostly due to the realism and the nice smooth vehicle motion and more
realistic tracks with curves. I enjoy the freedom I get from the third
dimension, even though the AI abuses that sometimes.

It's got lots of nice touches, such as trains having realistic breaking
distances, better signalling (including pre-signals, even though not by
name), more track systems like narrow gauge, trams etc.

But most of all I like how easy it is to add new stuff to it, new
vehicles, bridges, houses, industries, cargo types, anything. Extremely
moddable. Oh that reminds me, I don't think I've ever posted it here:
http://www.ttdpatch.net/loco/ for a tool to decode/encode object .dat
files and http://wiki.locomotiondepot.net/index.php/Main_Page for some
information on the file structures.

> OpenTTD already rules away Locomotion by far.

You complain that Locomotion doesn't have nicer graphics than TTD (which
I absolutely disagree with, Locomotion's graphics are far more detailed),
but OpenTTD actually uses the same old graphics and now it doesn't bother
you?

But then, I've never been a big fan of OpenTTD mostly due to its legally
uncertain origins as a copy of TTD's copy.

Besides, it doesn't even support the new graphics of the patch, so it's
no contender at all ;)

--

Compfix wrote on Wed, 6 Oct 2004 19:20:35 +0000 (UTC):

> "Mario Schmidt" <mario.schmidt@mediavillage.de> wrote in message
> > nylon.net schrieb:
> >
> >> Still, folks. You can't bitch too much. Lord Chris has finally
> >> delivered on his promise to upgrade TTD!
> >
> > A really bad "upgrade". Locomotion does neither look nicer nor play better
> > than TTD.
> >
> > OpenTTD already rules away Locomotion by far.
>
> Agreed 100%

Disagreed 100% :p

--

Josef Drexler schrieb:

> In your humble(?) opinion. I personally find it more fun, actually,
> mostly due to the realism and the nice smooth vehicle motion and more
> realistic tracks with curves. I enjoy the freedom I get from the third
> dimension, even though the AI abuses that sometimes.

I never played RCT before. When I first tried Locomotion, I wasted all
my money when I tried to raise some land. It ended in a single tile, 200
meters above sea-level. Very realistic, really. And very comfortable,
really. The new (old?) build system is just lame!

> It's got lots of nice touches, such as trains having realistic breaking
> distances, better signalling (including pre-signals, even though not by
> name), more track systems like narrow gauge, trams etc.

Yes, but I think especially the rail system has been simplified way too
much. When I heard "Locomotion" for the first time, I thought "Great, a
game like TTD with special focus on the rail system". But what is this?

Sure, there are new features like trams and bus stops. But hey, where is
the realism? No depots, new vehicles just drop down from heaven.

An the worst thing: Cool, Locomotion supports more variants for
terraforming! But how comes, that now its just normal to see something
like tracks or even stations over houses in a small village with 1000
inhabitants? Or these sharp edges gorges everywhere? Everything looks
more angularly than in TTD. And the snow looks like bad white-pixel
icing sugar.

> You complain that Locomotion doesn't have nicer graphics than TTD (which
> I absolutely disagree with, Locomotion's graphics are far more detailed),
> but OpenTTD actually uses the same old graphics and now it doesn't bother
> you?

No, it doesn' t bother me in OpenTTD nor TTD. Locomotions graphics are
are browned out, everything looks like autumn and the cities look like
shanties. TTD has bright and friendly colors and since OpenTTD, I can
enjoy them in high-res at 1400x1050 (Notebook). Even the all-new
Locomotion does not support that (very common for Notebooks) resolution!

> But then, I've never been a big fan of OpenTTD mostly due to its legally
> uncertain origins as a copy of TTD's copy.

Currently, you need TTD original files to run OpenTTD. I don' t care
about copyright when there is no place other than ebay where you can buy
the original legally.

> Besides, it doesn't even support the new graphics of the patch, so it's
> no contender at all ;)

It will support them better in the future.

TRENDING THREADS