Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Excellent Connection, but no internet

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 3:31:36 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a laptop
connected, and all works perfectly.

My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms works
great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection", but
can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all the
others are set up. Why doesn't this work?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 4:58:48 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Double check that you have entered the proper WPA (or WEP) key...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:31:36 -0500, "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a laptop
>connected, and all works perfectly.
>
>My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms works
>great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection", but
>can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all the
>others are set up. Why doesn't this work?
>
>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>
>Scott
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 4:58:49 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I forgot to mention, I have WEP disabled in the wireless router setup. This
is agravating.
--

ScottG


"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

> Double check that you have entered the proper WPA (or WEP) key...
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)
>
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:31:36 -0500, "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a laptop
> >connected, and all works perfectly.
> >
> >My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms works
> >great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection", but
> >can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all the
> >others are set up. Why doesn't this work?
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
> >
> >Scott
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 10, 2005 4:47:26 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Here's an update to my problem. I went through microsofts troubleshooters
and realized that I CAN ping any website on the internet with all computers
on the network (including my dads). But, IE6 still shows DNS error for all
pages that try to load.

I've reboot, flushed the DNS, verified settings as the same as all other
computers. I just can't figure this one out.

Anybody?

"Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
in message news:2td1d19lapree5og5igr773asltpjlh3ri@4ax.com...
> Double check that you have entered the proper WPA (or WEP) key...
> ---
> Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
> jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
> http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)
>
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:31:36 -0500, "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a laptop
>>connected, and all works perfectly.
>>
>>My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms
>>works
>>great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection",
>>but
>>can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all
>>the
>>others are set up. Why doesn't this work?
>>
>>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>>
>>Scott
>>
>
July 10, 2005 5:55:21 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi
May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
Jack (MVP-Networking).



"ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:uBddtdXhFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Here's an update to my problem. I went through microsofts troubleshooters
> and realized that I CAN ping any website on the internet with all
computers
> on the network (including my dads). But, IE6 still shows DNS error for
all
> pages that try to load.
>
> I've reboot, flushed the DNS, verified settings as the same as all other
> computers. I just can't figure this one out.
>
> Anybody?
>
> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
wrote
> in message news:2td1d19lapree5og5igr773asltpjlh3ri@4ax.com...
> > Double check that you have entered the proper WPA (or WEP) key...
> > ---
> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
> > http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)
> >
> > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:31:36 -0500, "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a
laptop
> >>connected, and all works perfectly.
> >>
> >>My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms
> >>works
> >>great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection",
> >>but
> >>can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all
> >>the
> >>others are set up. Why doesn't this work?
> >>
> >>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
> >>
> >>Scott
> >>
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 2:25:53 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I tried to LSP-Fix and WinSockFix, but still no luck. I can still ping any
IP, but I still get DNS error page.

Arrgggg.

"Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:%23uARBiXhFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi
> May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>
>
>
> "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> news:uBddtdXhFHA.3656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Here's an update to my problem. I went through microsofts
>> troubleshooters
>> and realized that I CAN ping any website on the internet with all
> computers
>> on the network (including my dads). But, IE6 still shows DNS error for
> all
>> pages that try to load.
>>
>> I've reboot, flushed the DNS, verified settings as the same as all other
>> computers. I just can't figure this one out.
>>
>> Anybody?
>>
>> "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
> wrote
>> in message news:2td1d19lapree5og5igr773asltpjlh3ri@4ax.com...
>> > Double check that you have entered the proper WPA (or WEP) key...
>> > ---
>> > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
>> > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
>> > http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
>> > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)
>> >
>> > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:31:36 -0500, "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> >>Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a
> laptop
>> >>connected, and all works perfectly.
>> >>
>> >>My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms
>> >>works
>> >>great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent
>> >>connection",
>> >>but
>> >>can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way
>> >>all
>> >>the
>> >>others are set up. Why doesn't this work?
>> >>
>> >>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
>> >>
>> >>Scott
>> >>
>> >
>>
>>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 2:58:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

In message <#9M55gchFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, ScottG
<33gilbert@bellsouth.net> writes
>I tried to LSP-Fix and WinSockFix, but still no luck. I can still ping any
>IP, but I still get DNS error page.
>
>Arrgggg.
>

If you can ping, can you get web access using IP addresses?
--
Alun Bell
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 11, 2005 2:58:58 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

No. I can ping all day long using number addresses or names (ping
www.google.com), etc...

This is baffling to me, I just don't understand this one.


"Alun Bell" <Alun@justwise.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:kQcOxyJhLk0CJAfZ@justwise.demon.co.uk...
> In message <#9M55gchFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, ScottG
> <33gilbert@bellsouth.net> writes
>>I tried to LSP-Fix and WinSockFix, but still no luck. I can still ping
>>any
>>IP, but I still get DNS error page.
>>
>>Arrgggg.
>>
>
> If you can ping, can you get web access using IP addresses?
> --
> Alun Bell
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 14, 2005 2:24:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

GOOD LUCK with this one Scott. I'm having an almost identical problem to you
(ie strong wireless connection; PINGs okay between the laptop and the main
PC); the main PC can ever access the shared folder of the laptop. But the
laptop can't access anything on the main PC (which is obviously shared etc)
and it can't surf the web.

Irritating and aggravating is right!

It worked fine until my hard drive died so I had reinstall from scratch. I
now have two drives installed!!

I'll keep watching and hope you get an answer soon.

Jan


"ScottG" wrote:

> No. I can ping all day long using number addresses or names (ping
> www.google.com), etc...
>
> This is baffling to me, I just don't understand this one.
>
>
> "Alun Bell" <Alun@justwise.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:kQcOxyJhLk0CJAfZ@justwise.demon.co.uk...
> > In message <#9M55gchFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, ScottG
> > <33gilbert@bellsouth.net> writes
> >>I tried to LSP-Fix and WinSockFix, but still no luck. I can still ping
> >>any
> >>IP, but I still get DNS error page.
> >>
> >>Arrgggg.
> >>
> >
> > If you can ping, can you get web access using IP addresses?
> > --
> > Alun Bell
>
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2005 2:38:03 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Thats gotta be really annoying, sorry. I think i remember having the same
prob with windows 2000 a few years ago, but ended up reinstalling the OS and
it work. Desperate measures called cos i had work due in the following
morning.

But im sure its to do with Computer Management Services, right click on My
Computer and then Manager. I reckon its one of the services need starting.

Actually i cant remember being able to ping ip's when mine buggered. Maybe
Netscape or Firefox instead of internet explorer would work.

Of course makesure there no firewall like nortons or xp's in control panel
running on all comps.
and i'd check the ip's, makesure ur all on the same network.
or if your using AOL that'll be making everything hell.
i'd makesure im in the same workgroup.

sorry, not much help
!