Excellent Connection, but no internet

Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a laptop
connected, and all works perfectly.

My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms works
great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection", but
can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all the
others are set up. Why doesn't this work?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott
9 answers Last reply
More about excellent connection internet

    Double check that you have entered the proper WPA (or WEP) key...
    ---
    Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
    http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)

    On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:31:36 -0500, "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net>
    wrote:

    >Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a laptop
    >connected, and all works perfectly.
    >
    >My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms works
    >great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection", but
    >can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all the
    >others are set up. Why doesn't this work?
    >
    >Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    >Scott

    I forgot to mention, I have WEP disabled in the wireless router setup. This
    is agravating.
    --

    ScottG

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" wrote:

    > Double check that you have entered the proper WPA (or WEP) key...
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    > http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
    > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)
    >
    > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:31:36 -0500, "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a laptop
    > >connected, and all works perfectly.
    > >
    > >My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms works
    > >great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection", but
    > >can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all the
    > >others are set up. Why doesn't this work?
    > >
    > >Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    > >
    > >Scott

    Here's an update to my problem. I went through microsofts troubleshooters
    and realized that I CAN ping any website on the internet with all computers
    on the network (including my dads). But, IE6 still shows DNS error for all
    pages that try to load.

    I've reboot, flushed the DNS, verified settings as the same as all other
    computers. I just can't figure this one out.

    Anybody?

    "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com> wrote
    in message news:2td1d19lapree5og5igr773asltpjlh3ri@4ax.com...
    > Double check that you have entered the proper WPA (or WEP) key...
    > ---
    > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    > http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
    > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)
    >
    > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:31:36 -0500, "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a laptop
    >>connected, and all works perfectly.
    >>
    >>My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms
    >>works
    >>great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection",
    >>but
    >>can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all
    >>the
    >>others are set up. Why doesn't this work?
    >>
    >>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    >>
    >>Scott

    Hi
    May be this can Help: http://www.ezlan.net/clean#refreshnet
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > Here's an update to my problem. I went through microsofts troubleshooters
    > and realized that I CAN ping any website on the internet with all
    computers
    > on the network (including my dads). But, IE6 still shows DNS error for
    all
    > pages that try to load.
    >
    > I've reboot, flushed the DNS, verified settings as the same as all other
    > computers. I just can't figure this one out.
    >
    > Anybody?
    >
    > "Jeffrey Randow (MVP)" <jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com>
    wrote
    > in message news:2td1d19lapree5og5igr773asltpjlh3ri@4ax.com...
    > > Double check that you have entered the proper WPA (or WEP) key...
    > > ---
    > > Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)
    > > jeffreyr-support@remotenetworktechnology.com
    > > http://www.networkblog.net (My Networking Blog)
    > > http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com (Support Site)
    > >
    > > On Sat, 9 Jul 2005 23:31:36 -0500, "ScottG" <33gilbert@bellsouth.net>
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >>Okay, I have DSL and a Linksys wireless router. I have a PC and a
    laptop
    > >>connected, and all works perfectly.
    > >>
    > >>My mom and dad came over and they brought 2 of their laptops. My moms
    > >>works
    > >>great, but my dads doesn't. The tray icon says, "Excellent connection",
    > >>but
    > >>can't access the internet. We've set up his laptop exactly they way all
    > >>the
    > >>others are set up. Why doesn't this work?
    > >>
    > >>Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    > >>
    > >>Scott

    I tried to LSP-Fix and WinSockFix, but still no luck. I can still ping any
    IP, but I still get DNS error page.

    Arrgggg.

    In message <#9M55gchFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, ScottG
    <33gilbert@bellsouth.net> writes
    >I tried to LSP-Fix and WinSockFix, but still no luck. I can still ping any
    >IP, but I still get DNS error page.
    >
    >Arrgggg.

    If you can ping, can you get web access using IP addresses?
    --
    Alun Bell
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    No. I can ping all day long using number addresses or names (ping
    www.google.com), etc...

    This is baffling to me, I just don't understand this one.

    "Alun Bell" <Alun@justwise.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > In message <#9M55gchFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, ScottG
    > <33gilbert@bellsouth.net> writes
    >>I tried to LSP-Fix and WinSockFix, but still no luck. I can still ping
    >>any
    >>IP, but I still get DNS error page.
    >>
    >>Arrgggg.
    >>

    > If you can ping, can you get web access using IP addresses?
    > --
    > Alun Bell
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    GOOD LUCK with this one Scott. I'm having an almost identical problem to you
    (ie strong wireless connection; PINGs okay between the laptop and the main
    PC); the main PC can ever access the shared folder of the laptop. But the
    laptop can't access anything on the main PC (which is obviously shared etc)
    and it can't surf the web.

    Irritating and aggravating is right!

    It worked fine until my hard drive died so I had reinstall from scratch. I
    now have two drives installed!!

    I'll keep watching and hope you get an answer soon.

    Jan

    "ScottG" wrote:

    > No. I can ping all day long using number addresses or names (ping
    > www.google.com), etc...
    >
    > This is baffling to me, I just don't understand this one.
    >

    > "Alun Bell" <Alun@justwise.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > In message <#9M55gchFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, ScottG
    > > <33gilbert@bellsouth.net> writes
    > >>I tried to LSP-Fix and WinSockFix, but still no luck. I can still ping
    > >>any
    > >>IP, but I still get DNS error page.
    > >>
    > >>Arrgggg.
    > >>

    > > If you can ping, can you get web access using IP addresses?
    > > --
    > > Alun Bell

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Thats gotta be really annoying, sorry. I think i remember having the same
    prob with windows 2000 a few years ago, but ended up reinstalling the OS and
    it work. Desperate measures called cos i had work due in the following
    morning.

    But im sure its to do with Computer Management Services, right click on My
    Computer and then Manager. I reckon its one of the services need starting.

    Actually i cant remember being able to ping ip's when mine buggered. Maybe
    Netscape or Firefox instead of internet explorer would work.

    Of course makesure there no firewall like nortons or xp's in control panel
    running on all comps.
    and i'd check the ip's, makesure ur all on the same network.
    or if your using AOL that'll be making everything hell.
    i'd makesure im in the same workgroup.

    sorry, not much help

Laptops Connection Internet Wireless Networking