WinMe Loses All Function after Kodak Easyshare Software In..

Dell Pentium III computer with 512 MB RAM

I have been using a Kodak DX6440 digital camera, and its EasyShare software,
since October 2003. Last month, I had to replace a broken CD-RW drive on my
computer. After I replaced that drive, I was no longer able to transfer
photographs from the Kodak camera to my hard drive. The camera software had
stopped working. So I uninstalled the EasyShare software and reinstalled it.
From that moment on, my computer totally ceased to function, and nearly two
hours of tech support from the computer maker, Dell, couldn't solve the
problem. Only by uninstalling the Kodak EasyShare software, in Safe Mode,
could I get the computer to function normally again.

I got technical assistance via e-mail from a Kodak person, but nothing he
suggested worked. So I got live technical support over the telephone
yesterday that did not solve the problem, either. The only new piece of
information that I got out of the hour-long conversation with the Kodak tech
yesterday was that when the EasyShare software is installed on my machine
(and thus causing the computer to hang), when you open Task Manager
(CTRL+ALT+Del), there is a process or program running in the background
called "cmdninst," along with a varying number of processes or programs
called "<unknown>."

Dell told me that I would need a new operating system. Kodak telephone tech
support said that I should follow the instructions at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q277994/, on which page the title is
"'Cmdninst Caused an Invalid Page Fault' Error Message While You Upgrade to
Windows Millennium Edition." But I was not upgrading to Windows Millennium
Edition, and I did not get that error message.

Now I don't know where to turn. If anyone out there has any ideas, I would
be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.

Joan
1 answer Last reply
More about winme loses function kodak easyshare software

    once is enough!
    :)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Dell Pentium III computer with 512 MB RAM
    >
    > I have been using a Kodak DX6440 digital camera, and its EasyShare
    > software,
    > since October 2003. Last month, I had to replace a broken CD-RW drive on
    > my
    > computer. After I replaced that drive, I was no longer able to transfer
    > photographs from the Kodak camera to my hard drive. The camera software
    > had
    > stopped working. So I uninstalled the EasyShare software and reinstalled
    > it.
    > From that moment on, my computer totally ceased to function, and nearly
    > two
    > hours of tech support from the computer maker, Dell, couldn't solve the
    > problem. Only by uninstalling the Kodak EasyShare software, in Safe Mode,
    > could I get the computer to function normally again.
    >
    > I got technical assistance via e-mail from a Kodak person, but nothing he
    > suggested worked. So I got live technical support over the telephone
    > yesterday that did not solve the problem, either. The only new piece of
    > information that I got out of the hour-long conversation with the Kodak
    > tech
    > yesterday was that when the EasyShare software is installed on my machine
    > (and thus causing the computer to hang), when you open Task Manager
    > (CTRL+ALT+Del), there is a process or program running in the background
    > called "cmdninst," along with a varying number of processes or programs
    > called "<unknown>."
    >
    > Dell told me that I would need a new operating system. Kodak telephone
    > tech
    > support said that I should follow the instructions at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q277994/, on which page the title is
    > "'Cmdninst Caused an Invalid Page Fault' Error Message While You Upgrade
    > Windows Millennium Edition." But I was not upgrading to Windows Millennium
    > Edition, and I did not get that error message.
    >
    > Now I don't know where to turn. If anyone out there has any ideas, I would
    > be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Joan

Software Computers Kodak Windows