WinMe Ceases to Function When I Install Kodak EasyShare So..

Dell Pentium III computer with 512 MB RAM

I have been using a Kodak DX6440 digital camera, and its EasyShare software,
since October 2003. Last month, I had to replace a broken CD-RW drive on my
computer. After I replaced that drive, I was no longer able to transfer
photographs from the Kodak camera to my hard drive. The camera software had
stopped working. So I uninstalled the EasyShare software and reinstalled it.
From that moment on, my computer totally ceased to function, and nearly two
hours of tech support from the computer maker, Dell, couldn't solve the
problem. Only by uninstalling the Kodak EasyShare software, in Safe Mode,
could I get the computer to function normally again.

I got technical assistance via e-mail from a Kodak person, but nothing he
suggested worked. So I got live technical support over the telephone
yesterday that did not solve the problem, either. The only new piece of
information that I got out of the hour-long conversation with the Kodak tech
yesterday was that when the EasyShare software is installed on my machine
(and thus causing the computer to hang), when you open Task Manager
(CTRL+ALT+Del), there is a process or program running in the background
called "cmdninst," along with a varying number of processes or programs
called "<unknown>."

Dell told me that I would need a new operating system. Kodak telephone tech
support said that I should follow the instructions at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q277994/, on which page the title is
"'Cmdninst Caused an Invalid Page Fault' Error Message While You Upgrade to
Windows Millennium Edition." But I was not upgrading to Windows Millennium
Edition, and I did not get that error message.

Now I don't know where to turn. If anyone out there has any ideas, I would
be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.

Joan
18 answers Last reply
More about winme ceases function install kodak easyshare

    You may have a virus/spyware hijack

    download the Stinger from here and run it to make sure that A-V-disabling
    viruses are not present on your PC
    http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    - update your virus scanner and run a full system scan of all files.

    Reboot to Safe Mode and run CWShredder - to remove variants of the
    CoolWebSearch hijacker.

    Use CWShredder, the removal tool:
    http://www.merijn.org/files/CWShredder.exe
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/downloads/tools/CWShredder.exe
    http://www.zerosrealm.com/downloads/CWShredder.zip

    download AdAware SE Personal Edition from www.lavasoftusa.com, install,
    update, and run it to remove spyware, adware, and other such nasties from
    your system.

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Dell Pentium III computer with 512 MB RAM
    >
    > I have been using a Kodak DX6440 digital camera, and its EasyShare
    > software,
    > since October 2003. Last month, I had to replace a broken CD-RW drive on
    > my
    > computer. After I replaced that drive, I was no longer able to transfer
    > photographs from the Kodak camera to my hard drive. The camera software
    > had
    > stopped working. So I uninstalled the EasyShare software and reinstalled
    > it.
    > From that moment on, my computer totally ceased to function, and nearly
    > two
    > hours of tech support from the computer maker, Dell, couldn't solve the
    > problem. Only by uninstalling the Kodak EasyShare software, in Safe Mode,
    > could I get the computer to function normally again.
    >
    > I got technical assistance via e-mail from a Kodak person, but nothing he
    > suggested worked. So I got live technical support over the telephone
    > yesterday that did not solve the problem, either. The only new piece of
    > information that I got out of the hour-long conversation with the Kodak
    > tech
    > yesterday was that when the EasyShare software is installed on my machine
    > (and thus causing the computer to hang), when you open Task Manager
    > (CTRL+ALT+Del), there is a process or program running in the background
    > called "cmdninst," along with a varying number of processes or programs
    > called "<unknown>."
    >
    > Dell told me that I would need a new operating system. Kodak telephone
    > tech
    > support said that I should follow the instructions at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q277994/, on which page the title is
    > "'Cmdninst Caused an Invalid Page Fault' Error Message While You Upgrade
    > Windows Millennium Edition." But I was not upgrading to Windows Millennium
    > Edition, and I did not get that error message.
    >
    > Now I don't know where to turn. If anyone out there has any ideas, I would
    > be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > Joan

    Thanks, Noel. I've been running AdAware and Spybot regularly since you told
    me about these programs the last time I had big computer problems. I'll do
    all the other things you mention and get back to you.

    Sorry about the duplicate send. Outlook Express told me there had been an
    error preventing my first send, so I fired it off again.

    Best,
    Joan

> [...]

    > yesterday was that when the EasyShare software is installed on my machine
    > (and thus causing the computer to hang), when you open Task Manager
    > (CTRL+ALT+Del), there is a process or program running in the background
    > called "cmdninst," along with a varying number of processes or programs
    > called "<unknown>."
    >
    > Dell told me that I would need a new operating system. Kodak telephone
    tech
    > support said that I should follow the instructions at
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q277994/, on which page the title is
    > "'Cmdninst Caused an Invalid Page Fault' Error Message While You Upgrade
    > Windows Millennium Edition." But I was not upgrading to Windows Millennium
    > Edition, and I did not get that error message.
    >
    > Now I don't know where to turn. If anyone out there has any ideas, I would
    > be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.

    No, you don't need a new OS...I've been using Millennium for several years
    now, with Kodak Easyshare...it's v 1.1. I really don't like the newer
    version and don't find the new version as user friendly. Not much help to
    you I know, but suffice it to say that it will work (even the newest
    version) with ME.
    --
    Nomad

    Thanks, Nomad. My Kodak software was working fine with Windows Me until I
    replaced my old Adaptec CD burner with a Buslink one. But Kodak's Web site
    says it supports my new CD-RW drive (LITE-ON LTR-52327S), so it doesn't seem
    as though that would be the problem. But it *was* after that installation
    that the EasyShare software stopped working. I'm totally stumped.

    "Nomad" <doesntwork@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "A Baffled User" <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > > Dell Pentium III computer with 512 MB RAM
    > >
    > > I have been using a Kodak DX6440 digital camera, and its EasyShare
    > software,
    > > since October 2003. Last month, I had to replace a broken CD-RW drive on
    > my
    > > computer. After I replaced that drive, I was no longer able to transfer
    > > photographs from the Kodak camera to my hard drive. The camera software
    > had
    > > stopped working. So I uninstalled the EasyShare software and reinstalled
    > it.
    > > From that moment on, my computer totally ceased to function, and nearly
    > two
    > > hours of tech support from the computer maker, Dell, couldn't solve the
    > > problem. Only by uninstalling the Kodak EasyShare software, in Safe
    Mode,
    > > could I get the computer to function normally again.
    > >
    > > I got technical assistance via e-mail from a Kodak person, but nothing
    he
    > > suggested worked. So I got live technical support over the telephone
    > > yesterday that did not solve the problem, either. The only new piece of
    > > information that I got out of the hour-long conversation with the Kodak
    > tech
    > > yesterday was that when the EasyShare software is installed on my
    machine
    > > (and thus causing the computer to hang), when you open Task Manager
    > > (CTRL+ALT+Del), there is a process or program running in the background
    > > called "cmdninst," along with a varying number of processes or programs
    > > called "<unknown>."
    > >
    > > Dell told me that I would need a new operating system. Kodak telephone
    > tech
    > > support said that I should follow the instructions at
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q277994/, on which page the title is
    > > "'Cmdninst Caused an Invalid Page Fault' Error Message While You Upgrade
    > > Windows Millennium Edition." But I was not upgrading to Windows
    Millennium
    > > Edition, and I did not get that error message.
    > >
    > > Now I don't know where to turn. If anyone out there has any ideas, I
    would
    > > be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.
    >
    > No, you don't need a new OS...I've been using Millennium for several years
    > now, with Kodak Easyshare...it's v 1.1. I really don't like the newer
    > version and don't find the new version as user friendly. Not much help to
    > you I know, but suffice it to say that it will work (even the newest
    > version) with ME.
    > --
    > Nomad

    Adaptec? Was Roxio in the picture when you replaced the CD Burner? I'm
    highly suspicious that Roxio is at the heart of your problems.

    John

    A Baffled User wrote:

> [...]
    >>
    >>tech
    >>
    >>>support said that I should follow the instructions at
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q277994/, on which page the title is
    >>>"'Cmdninst Caused an Invalid Page Fault' Error Message While You Upgrade

    >>>Windows Millennium Edition." But I was not upgrading to Windows
    >
    > Millennium
    >
    >>>Edition, and I did not get that error message.
    >>>
    >>>Now I don't know where to turn. If anyone out there has any ideas, I
    >
    > would
    >
    >>>be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.
    >>
    >>No, you don't need a new OS...I've been using Millennium for several years
    >>now, with Kodak Easyshare...it's v 1.1. I really don't like the newer
    >>version and don't find the new version as user friendly. Not much help to
    >>you I know, but suffice it to say that it will work (even the newest

    My original CD-RW used Adaptec software. The program for CD-RWs was called
    DirectCD, and the other one, for burning read-only CDs, had another name. I
    don't remember anything saying Roxio. Does that tell you anything?

    A Baffled User wrote:
    > My original CD-RW used Adaptec software. The program for CD-RWs was called
    > DirectCD, and the other one, for burning read-only CDs, had another name. I
    > don't remember anything saying Roxio. Does that tell you anything?

    Roxio bought Adaptec's stuff, so DCD and Easy-CD Creator, etc. are now
    Roxio.

    If BusLink implies "on the USB Buss", I think we have a winner.

    Rick

    I've done all the scans you suggested. The only one that caught any bad guys
    was Spybot, which found quite a few BackWebLite critters. I got rid of them
    all, but, unfortunately, I still can't install the Kodak EasyShare software
    without it causing the computer to freeze up.

> [...]
    > > (and thus causing the computer to hang), when you open Task Manager
    > > (CTRL+ALT+Del), there is a process or program running in the background
    > > called "cmdninst," along with a varying number of processes or programs
    > > called "<unknown>."
    > >
    > > Dell told me that I would need a new operating system. Kodak telephone
    > > tech
    > > support said that I should follow the instructions at
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q277994/, on which page the title is
    > > "'Cmdninst Caused an Invalid Page Fault' Error Message While You Upgrade
    > > Windows Millennium Edition." But I was not upgrading to Windows
    Millennium
    > > Edition, and I did not get that error message.
    > >
    > > Now I don't know where to turn. If anyone out there has any ideas, I
    would
    > > be most grateful. Many thanks in advance.

    Are you saying that the BusLink CD-RW drive or its software might be
    defective? It is not attached to a USB port, if that's what you mean. Its
    installation is the same as that of the original drive (which came installed
    on my new Dell Dimension 4100 computer in November 2000).

    Joan

    > A Baffled User wrote:
    > > My original CD-RW used Adaptec software. The program for CD-RWs was
    called
    > > DirectCD, and the other one, for burning read-only CDs, had another
    name. I
    > > don't remember anything saying Roxio. Does that tell you anything?
    > >

    > Roxio bought Adaptec's stuff, so DCD and Easy-CD Creator, etc. are now
    > Roxio.
    >
    > If BusLink implies "on the USB Buss", I think we have a winner.
    >

    > Rick

    Maybe you simply need to ensure that you don't have any Adaptec stuff
    installed, including DirectCD. Remove anything that resembles Adaptec, then
    do a reboot for the changes to settle. DirectCD resides in memory and
    monitors the use of the CD-RW unit.

    A Baffled User wrote:
    > Are you saying that the BusLink CD-RW drive or its software might be
    > defective? It is not attached to a USB port, if that's what you mean.
    > Its installation is the same as that of the original drive (which
    > came installed on my new Dell Dimension 4100 computer in November
    > 2000).

    I have a feeling you're right about this, but what can I do beyond removing
    the software via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel? Is there
    somewhere specific to look for straggler Adeptec components?

    Thanks!

    Joan

    "Ogg" <sorry-nopam-wanted@anywhere.com> wrote in message
    > Maybe you simply need to ensure that you don't have any Adaptec stuff
    > installed, including DirectCD. Remove anything that resembles Adaptec,
    then
    > do a reboot for the changes to settle. DirectCD resides in memory and
    > monitors the use of the CD-RW unit.
    >

    > A Baffled User wrote:
    > > Are you saying that the BusLink CD-RW drive or its software might be
    > > defective? It is not attached to a USB port, if that's what you mean.
    > > Its installation is the same as that of the original drive (which
    > > came installed on my new Dell Dimension 4100 computer in November
    > > 2000).

    Hi Joan.. I had a similar "interference" issue when I wanted to erase the
    contents of an uncoorperative UDF formated CD-RW disc. Adaptec's DirectCD
    always kept insisting on loading as soon as it detected a disc in the tray.

    To get around the problem, I simply disabled "Adaptec DirectCD " from the
    "run msconfig". Then in the Startup tab, remove the checkmark from the
    "Adaptec DirectCD" item. Click "Apply" before you back out of the men.
    Then click on OK. Then reboot.

    Adaptec's DirectCD supports UDF which is very unreliable between different
    pc's. I am sure that your new cd-rw will have a better drag-n-drop program;
    that's the one you should be using. Infact..maybe your new cd's software is
    failing when it dectects the DirectCD installation. My understanding is that
    there can only be one drag-drop-to-CD technology installed at a time. So..
    atleast disable DirectCD from loading up in memory, and try your new cd-rw's
    software installation again.

    A Baffled User wrote:
    > I have a feeling you're right about this, but what can I do beyond
    > removing the software via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel?
    > Is there somewhere specific to look for straggler Adeptec components?

    Thanks, Ogg. Unfortunately, I've already done everything you suggest
    (uninstalled Adaptec using Add/Remove Programs, unchecked it in msconfig,
    searched and destroyed anything "Adaptec").

    I'm actually finding that my new CD-RW drive's software, called Nero, is not
    as good as Adaptec DirectCD. With Adaptec I used to be able to send multiple
    files to the CD burner at a time (say, by pressing CTRL and left-clicking
    the filenames in a Word SaveAs window). With Nero's "Ahead" program, the
    computer totally freezes when I try to send more than one file to the CD
    burner.

    All best,

    > Hi Joan.. I had a similar "interference" issue when I wanted to erase the
    > contents of an uncoorperative UDF formated CD-RW disc. Adaptec's DirectCD
    > always kept insisting on loading as soon as it detected a disc in the
    tray.

    > To get around the problem, I simply disabled "Adaptec DirectCD " from the
    > "run msconfig". Then in the Startup tab, remove the checkmark from the
    > "Adaptec DirectCD" item. Click "Apply" before you back out of the men.
    > Then click on OK. Then reboot.
    >
    > Adaptec's DirectCD supports UDF which is very unreliable between different
    > pc's. I am sure that your new cd-rw will have a better drag-n-drop
    program;
    > that's the one you should be using. Infact..maybe your new cd's software
    is
    > failing when it dectects the DirectCD installation. My understanding is
    that
    > there can only be one drag-drop-to-CD technology installed at a time.
    So..
    > atleast disable DirectCD from loading up in memory, and try your new
    cd-rw's
    > software installation again.
    >

    > A Baffled User wrote:
    > > I have a feeling you're right about this, but what can I do beyond
    > > removing the software via Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel?
    > > Is there somewhere specific to look for straggler Adeptec components?

    Are you perhaps somewhat confusing the software you are using? Ahead Nero
    is a CD mastering application similar to Roxio's EasyCD Creator. For
    packet writing software (UDF) similar to Roxio's DirectCD you need to have
    installed Ahead's InCD.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    A Baffled User <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote:

    > Thanks, Ogg. Unfortunately, I've already done everything you suggest
    > (uninstalled Adaptec using Add/Remove Programs, unchecked it in
    > msconfig, searched and destroyed anything "Adaptec").
    >
    > I'm actually finding that my new CD-RW drive's software, called Nero,
    > is not as good as Adaptec DirectCD. With Adaptec I used to be able to
    > send multiple files to the CD burner at a time (say, by pressing CTRL
    > and left-clicking the filenames in a Word SaveAs window). With Nero's
    > "Ahead" program, the computer totally freezes when I try to send more
    > than one file to the CD burner.

    For the equivalent of Adaptec's DirectCD, you need to use Nero's InCD. InCD
    will allow you to do the drag-drop one-file-at-a-time that you were
    accustomed to.

    A Baffled User wrote:
    > Thanks, Ogg. Unfortunately, I've already done everything you suggest
    > (uninstalled Adaptec using Add/Remove Programs, unchecked it in
    > msconfig, searched and destroyed anything "Adaptec").
    >
    > I'm actually finding that my new CD-RW drive's software, called Nero,
    > is not as good as Adaptec DirectCD. With Adaptec I used to be able to
    > send multiple files to the CD burner at a time (say, by pressing CTRL
    > and left-clicking the filenames in a Word SaveAs window). With Nero's
    > "Ahead" program, the computer totally freezes when I try to send more
    > than one file to the CD burner.

    One thing to remember about these "Drag & Drop" programs:

    DirectCD.exe (Adaptec / Roxio):

    "This is the DirectCD software which enables you to drag files onto a
    CD-R directly from Windows Explorer, or to save onto CD directly from
    within applications like Microsoft Word, without using the CD Recording
    software that came with your CD-Writer (Easy CD Creator). While a great
    and potentially very useful concept, the limitations of DirectCD CDs
    (CDs created with DirectCD are only ever guaranteed to be readable in CD
    Writers that are the same model as the CD Writer in which the CD was
    created – it is not unusual not to be able to read a CD created via
    DirectCD, in another CD-ROM drive), and the many conflicts that we have
    seen DirectCD create, lead us to always recommend its removal. We
    advocate to instead always use its sister product, Easy CD Creator, to
    create CDs, as that is the only method that guarantees that you will be
    able to read the CDs you create in any other CD, CD-Writer, or DVD drive
    – a crucial consideration if you are using CDs for data backups!"

    The same for INCD:

    InCD.exe (Ahead Software):

    "This is the InCD software which enables you to drag files onto a CD-R
    directly from Windows Explorer, or to save onto CD directly from within
    applications like Microsoft Word, without using the CD Recording
    software that came with your CD-Writer (Nero). While a great and
    potentially very useful concept, the limitations of InCD CDs (CDs
    created with InCD are only ever guaranteed to be readable in CD Writers
    that are the same model as the CD Writer in which the CD was created –
    it is not unusual not to be able to read a CD created via InCD, in
    another CD-ROM drive) lead us to always recommend its removal. We
    advocate to instead always use its sister product, Nero (also called
    "Nero Burning ROM"), to create CDs, as that is the only method that
    guarantees that you will be able to read the CDs you create in any other
    CD, CD-Writer, or DVD drive – a crucial consideration if you are using
    CDs for data backups !"

    http://www.answersthatwork.com/

    Using Nero you can batch your files and burn them in one shot (without
    INCD), the same for Roxio.

    John

    Ogg wrote:
    > For the equivalent of Adaptec's DirectCD, you need to use Nero's InCD. InCD
    > will allow you to do the drag-drop one-file-at-a-time that you were
    > accustomed to.
    >

    > A Baffled User wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks, Ogg. Unfortunately, I've already done everything you suggest
    >>(uninstalled Adaptec using Add/Remove Programs, unchecked it in
    >>msconfig, searched and destroyed anything "Adaptec").
    >>
    >>I'm actually finding that my new CD-RW drive's software, called Nero,
    >>is not as good as Adaptec DirectCD. With Adaptec I used to be able to
    >>send multiple files to the CD burner at a time (say, by pressing CTRL
    >>and left-clicking the filenames in a Word SaveAs window). With Nero's
    >>"Ahead" program, the computer totally freezes when I try to send more
    >>than one file to the CD burner.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    I've got both Ahead Nero and InCD installed. I just haven't had them long
    enough to remember their specific names.

    Joan

    > Are you perhaps somewhat confusing the software you are using? Ahead Nero
    > is a CD mastering application similar to Roxio's EasyCD Creator. For
    > packet writing software (UDF) similar to Roxio's DirectCD you need to have
    > installed Ahead's InCD.
    > --
    > Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    > mike.maltby@gmail.com
    >

    > A Baffled User <vze265vd@verizon.net> wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks, Ogg. Unfortunately, I've already done everything you suggest
    > > (uninstalled Adaptec using Add/Remove Programs, unchecked it in
    > > msconfig, searched and destroyed anything "Adaptec").
    > >
    > > I'm actually finding that my new CD-RW drive's software, called Nero,
    > > is not as good as Adaptec DirectCD. With Adaptec I used to be able to
    > > send multiple files to the CD burner at a time (say, by pressing CTRL
    > > and left-clicking the filenames in a Word SaveAs window). With Nero's
    > > "Ahead" program, the computer totally freezes when I try to send more
    > > than one file to the CD burner.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

    John John wrote:
    > One thing to remember about these "Drag & Drop" programs:
    >
    > DirectCD.exe (Adaptec / Roxio):
    > (CDs created with DirectCD are only ever guaranteed to be readable in
    > CD Writers that are the same model as the CD Writer in which the CD
    > was
    > created – it is not unusual not to be able to read a CD created via
    > DirectCD, in another CD-ROM drive),

    Yes I was aware of that.

    > The same for INCD:
    > InCD.exe (Ahead Software):
    > (CDs
    > created with InCD are only ever guaranteed to be readable in CD
    > Writers that are the same model as the CD Writer in which the CD was
    created..

    That is something I was NOT aware of. I thought that InCD' method/format
    was more reliable and versatile than DirectCD's UDF.

    > Using Nero you can batch your files and burn them in one shot (without
    > INCD), the same for Roxio.

    Yes.. "batch" is a good alternative.

    Thanks for your comments!

Kodak Computers Software Windows