Illegal WAP Connection

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

It is too bad there is not some kind of disclaimer for anyone that sets up a
wireless router explaining how to protect their access.

Otherwise, if you left the door to your house unlocked one night, should
that be taken as an indication you feel it is alright for someone to come in
and steal your property?

Clark

"Kentish" <Kentish@bluffers.com> wrote in message
> Can you comment on this
> http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/07/wi.fi.theft.ap/index.html
>
> I think it relies on the owner to make the connection exclusive to
> themselves if they do not want to share access. If they leave it
> accessible, it is free to others to use like - finders, 'users'.
>
> Attacking the host is a different issue.

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi

I think that the discussions about these issues are really "Coy".

I doubt that there are people who realyl think that it is Legal and OK to
intrude on other people connection.

However since it is Not easy to catch the Intruder, and the majority of
people do not even know that they are intruded upon, many people do it and
then use "silly nonsense" excuses justifying their antisocial behavior.

Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> It is too bad there is not some kind of disclaimer for anyone that sets up
> wireless router explaining how to protect their access.
>
> Otherwise, if you left the door to your house unlocked one night, should
> that be taken as an indication you feel it is alright for someone to come
in
> and steal your property?
>
> Clark
>
> "Kentish" <Kentish@bluffers.com> wrote in message
> > Can you comment on this
> > http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/07/wi.fi.theft.ap/index.html
> >
> > I think it relies on the owner to make the connection exclusive to
> > themselves if they do not want to share access. If they leave it
> > accessible, it is free to others to use like - finders, 'users'.
> >
> > Attacking the host is a different issue.

One thing that I am not sure of (and I'm sure others have
the same question) -- if it is not obvious, how do I tell the
difference between a "free public" access point and one
that has just been left open without any protection. Not
as a silly excuse, often it is clear, but if I am in a city and
many of them have free public access points, how do you
know which they are and which is a private ?? Obviously,
if they have it marked in some way in the SSID or something,
that is clear (either PRIVATE_SSID or FREE_SSID etc).
Often you can find out by searching the internet for information
on free sites for a given city, however, it may take many
searches since each one seems to turn up different info.
I have changed the SSID on mine, and have encryption turned
on, so it should be obvious it is not a "free" one, but others
are often not so obvious (if I see one that says "linksys" I
suspect it is not free, but just a private one no one has learned
to set up).

mikey

"Jack" <jack@msnews.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I think that the discussions about these issues are really "Coy".
>
> I doubt that there are people who realyl think that it is Legal and OK to
> intrude on other people connection.
>
> However since it is Not easy to catch the Intruder, and the majority of
> people do not even know that they are intruded upon, many people do it and
> then use "silly nonsense" excuses justifying their antisocial behavior.
>
> Jack (MVP-Networking).
>

> "Clark" <who@whoknows.com> wrote in message
> > It is too bad there is not some kind of disclaimer for anyone that sets
up
> > wireless router explaining how to protect their access.
> >
> > Otherwise, if you left the door to your house unlocked one night, should
> > that be taken as an indication you feel it is alright for someone to
come
> in
> > and steal your property?
> >
> > Clark
> >
> > "Kentish" <Kentish@bluffers.com> wrote in message
> > > Can you comment on this
> > > http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/07/wi.fi.theft.ap/index.html
> > >
> > > I think it relies on the owner to make the connection exclusive to
> > > themselves if they do not want to share access. If they leave it
> > > accessible, it is free to others to use like - finders, 'users'.
> > >
> > > Attacking the host is a different issue.

Deliberate flagrant violators should be prosecuted at least for something,
however the law doesn't take into account how utterly oblivous the general
computer using population is to way wireless internet works. to prove it go
to an appartment complex and look at how many unsecured wireless networks
there are. People care about security the just dont know how to do anything
about it. You can be connected to a wireless network with zero to minimal
user intervention. It just seems arbitrary, like the file sharing cases.

Mr. Jones, my ISP has a monopoly in my town which during the school year is
occupied by 30000+ college students apartments are dense. The cable internet
provider in my area charges for extra bandwidth over a set limit, so if
there are lazy worthless trash just piggy backing on a connection the owner
of the connection is forced to pay the additional charges [loss or
inconvenience]. Did you even read the article that this thread was started
about? I'm sure that when you get a job and pay for your own internet that
you wouldn't want someone to steal it just because they were capable of
doing so. Spoken like someone who thinks that the world owes them something.
Reply to the thread, don't send me an email so all users may benefit. Stop
wasting MY bandwidth.
http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/07/07/wi.fi.theft.ap/index.html

----