Scythe Unveils Open-Air Acrylic PC Case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellbound

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2004
Something like this is ok for test beds.. But with no real dust filters protecting the components, they will become dust magnets.

Anomalyx

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]do they have a case that is immune to Cat Hair?[/citation]
I have a tool that prevents cat hair. I call it a dog =P

In more seriousness, no case by itself is immune, since they require airflow. The strongest thing you can do is create a positive-pressure airflow where all intake fans have filters on them. Just don't forget to clean the filters out regularly or intake pressure will drop, reverting it to a negative pressure system and potentially blocking airflow enough to overheat.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]spookyman[/nom]do they have a case that is immune to Cat Hair?[/citation]

As all friends of Garfield know... NOTHING is immune to cat hair :)

Mine - a Persian;i.e. looong hairs- insisted on sleeping next to or partially on my Mouse pad (and got up the moment the Win shutdown screen came up).
And before I get funny remarks about guys and cats... we also had a Dog. But at 50+pounds we had an agreement that the mouse pad was off limits :)

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010

vaccum the cat?

i have a pomeranian that sheds as much if nto mroe than any cat only slution i found to keep dog fur out of my case is not letting the dogs in the computer room

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you know, my computer is dusty as hell, has no reall dust filter... and god knows i should clean it out, but i cant see the dust, and it would be a pain to move and open it up.

i think allot of people think like me, if the thing was easier to clean, i would so it more often, and with this, you can see the dust, and probably clean it out more often than most of us do now if you could see it, and have easy access.

G

All I clean on my 4 year old PC is the GPU fan and CPU heatsink fan. hell, my PC is a dustball and it runs the same as it did day one and with no signs of it slowing down.

It cultivates a 4 year old gernation of dustballs and dustmites. And I think of myself as a mite god.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Dustmitegod[/nom]All I clean on my 4 year old PC is the GPU fan and CPU heatsink fan. hell, my PC is a dustball and it runs the same as it did day one and with no signs of it slowing down.It cultivates a 4 year old gernation of dustballs and dustmites. And I think of myself as a mite god.[/citation]
Just because it is still running doesn't mean what you're doing is a good idea. You're just killing the longevity of your components by letting dust build up. Dust prevents the components from cooling down, which over time causes the PCB boards to expand and contract, which leads to blue screens, random shut downs, and eventual death.

Seriously people, you can get a 6 pack can of air for not that much at Staples. Cleaning a PC of dust literally takes less than 5 minutes, maybe 10 if you've let it go for a long time. It's not that big of a deal even if you live with furry animals.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
A classic in the making, I can only imagine the sheer number of hours of rigorous testing this went through before the final design was made.

It must perform amazingly in area's that PC owners care about most:-

Noise reduction
Airflow / Heat removal
Protection of PC (from dust and sticky fingers)

Looks like it nailed all 3, well done scythe.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
I don't know about open air, but a clear acrylic case with colored water cooling might be my next build.. of course for anything aesthetic, components have to be considered by color so maybe not.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Probably going to get dirty reaaaally fast. I seriously don't see a point in "clear" design of anything (maybe only those cool "clear plastic" Dreamcast models back in the day? They were actually awesome), because we have dust on this planet, you know?...that's my personal IMHO, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS