video card recommendations

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

I want to put together a box with a Asus A7N8X-X, AMD XP2500+, 512 Kingston
Value Ram and I'm looking for a AGP video card 8x slot, for around $50. Can
I have some opinions on a decent card in that price range?

Also some opinions on the A7N8X-X too.

thanks,
Geo

"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>I want to put together a box with a Asus A7N8X-X, AMD XP2500+, 512 Kingston
> Value Ram and I'm looking for a AGP video card 8x slot, for around $50.
> Can
> I have some opinions on a decent card in that price range?
>
> Also some opinions on the A7N8X-X too.
>
> thanks,
> Geo

That motherboard looks OK. There is a Biostar board that is just as good
that can be had a little cheaper, but there's nothing wrong with that Asus
board. Try the following for a video card. -Dave

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-506&depa=0

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

Dave,
What model Biostar is it? Good, reliable?
About that video card, is that pretty reliable with no headaches?
Geo

> Dave,
> What model Biostar is it? Good, reliable?
> About that video card, is that pretty reliable with no headaches?
> Geo

Here ya go.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-138-216&depa=0

Never tried that video card, but any radeon 9200SE should work great. Asus
is about midrange, as far as quality goes, although many people seem to
believe they are top-shelf quality. Not really, they just are over-hyped to
the point where most people believe that to be true. -Dave

ME

"George" <staylor9@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>I want to put together a box with a Asus A7N8X-X, AMD XP2500+, 512 Kingston
>Value Ram and I'm looking for a AGP video card 8x slot, for around $50. Can
>I have some opinions on a decent card in that price range?
>
>Also some opinions on the A7N8X-X too.
>
>thanks,
>Geo

I stuck a Gainward FX5200 fanless card in my daughters PC which works fine
on everything thrown at it.

My main workstation is on a A7N8X Deluxe which has been working 24/7 for
several months without a problem.

I did get Slight conflicts with a 4 port USB2 card which caused W2K to take
about 3 minutes longer to load up but it worked fine when it was up and
running.

All this running with XP2000, 1GB RAM 2 HDs 1 DVD Rom and 1 DVD writer.
Matrox P650, videum PCI Capture card, and all cooled with a single 120mm
Pabst fan on a Zalmann flower HS.

Lovely and quiet, fast and reliable recommended.

Andy