Restore disk

If I use a restore disk could I upgrade to windows me
afterwards?

Perhaps you should explain. If you use an OEM restore disk it will in
most cases restore the PC to the state in which it was delivered with that
PC. So, for example, if your PC was delivered with Win 98SE installed and
have subsequently upgraded to Win Me then using the restore CD will return
the PC to the sate it was in when first delivered, that is to having the
Win 98SE operating system.

Having a restore or recovery CD is no bar to upgrading your operating
system. What it will mean though is that if you use an upgrade version of
the new operating system you will not be able to clean install at some
later date that new operating system but instead will always have to
install it as an upgrade. This is because you will not be able to use a
restore or recovery CD as proof of entitlement to use an upgrade copy.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com