KVM Switch taht works with advanced keyboard functions ???

Hi,

Does anyone know of a two port KVM Switch that will reliably work with
the advanced functions of something like a MS Office Keyboard? You
know, things like the one key shortcuts (nonstandard keys) to open
Outlook, Word, cut and paste functions, etc?

Price isn't too much of a concern, but reliability is? This is using
Win2k/WinXP with a PS2 mouse.

Thanks,

BB
6 answers Last reply
More about switch taht works advanced keyboard functions

    "BingBong" <nowhere@nobody.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a two port KVM Switch that will reliably work with
    > the advanced functions of something like a MS Office Keyboard? You
    > know, things like the one key shortcuts (nonstandard keys) to open
    > Outlook, Word, cut and paste functions, etc?
    >
    > Price isn't too much of a concern, but reliability is? This is using
    > Win2k/WinXP with a PS2 mouse.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BB

    I don't understand the question. A switch is just a switch. If the
    keyboard works at all, then all functions of that specific keyboard will
    work fine. -Dave

    "BingBong" <nowhere@nobody.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a two port KVM Switch that will reliably work with
    > the advanced functions of something like a MS Office Keyboard? You
    > know, things like the one key shortcuts (nonstandard keys) to open
    > Outlook, Word, cut and paste functions, etc?
    >
    > Price isn't too much of a concern, but reliability is? This is using
    > Win2k/WinXP with a PS2 mouse.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BB

    My generic £20 one works with advanced functions (www.dabs.com)... no need
    to get an expensive one.

    hamman

    >Hi,
    >
    >Does anyone know of a two port KVM Switch that will reliably work with
    >the advanced functions of something like a MS Office Keyboard? You
    >know, things like the one key shortcuts (nonstandard keys) to open
    >Outlook, Word, cut and paste functions, etc?
    >
    >Price isn't too much of a concern, but reliability is? This is using
    >Win2k/WinXP with a PS2 mouse.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >BB

    This free program acts like a KVM switch letting you use one keyboard,
    monitor, and mouse for all PC's on your network. It uses some system
    resources but lets you do neat things like cut and paste files across
    the network.
    http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

    BingBong wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Does anyone know of a two port KVM Switch that will reliably work with
    > the advanced functions of something like a MS Office Keyboard? You
    > know, things like the one key shortcuts (nonstandard keys) to open
    > Outlook, Word, cut and paste functions, etc?
    >
    > Price isn't too much of a concern, but reliability is? This is using
    > Win2k/WinXP with a PS2 mouse.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > BB

    I have a linksys proconnect 2-port KVM switch that I got a couple of
    years ago from buy.com. I'm using it with a logitech wireless keyboard
    and mouse. It has a bunch of internet and media buttons that work
    through the KVM switch and need to be configured in winxp through the
    logitech system tray program. Volume wheel also works through the kvm.
    AFAIK, it's just a regular PS2 KVM with emulation (as opposed to an el
    cheapo twist dial KVM that messes things up if you try and boot/reboot
    while using the switch for the other system).

    Cheers,

    Ari

    neighbours from crime, and became the victim of it. To jump to the end
    of the story, as a result of this I need a bone marrow transplant. Many
    people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant, too. Please
    volunteer to be a marrow donor:
    http://www.abmdr.org.au/
    http://www.marrow.org/

    On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 09:39:53 -0500, AndrewJ
    <andrewjbbrREMOVE@gmail.com> wrote:

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Does anyone know of a two port KVM Switch that will reliably work with
    >>the advanced functions of something like a MS Office Keyboard? You
    >>know, things like the one key shortcuts (nonstandard keys) to open
    >>Outlook, Word, cut and paste functions, etc?
    >>
    >>Price isn't too much of a concern, but reliability is? This is using
    >>Win2k/WinXP with a PS2 mouse.
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>
    >>BB
    >
    >This free program acts like a KVM switch letting you use one keyboard,
    >monitor, and mouse for all PC's on your network. It uses some system
    >resources but lets you do neat things like cut and paste files across
    >the network.
    >http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

    Don't know about MS keyboards, but I've got a Linksys branded KVM
    switch and it works very well. You can see it at NewEgg.com

    On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:49:38 -0500, "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote:

    >"BingBong" <nowhere@nobody.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a two port KVM Switch that will reliably work with
    >> the advanced functions of something like a MS Office Keyboard? You
    >> know, things like the one key shortcuts (nonstandard keys) to open
    >> Outlook, Word, cut and paste functions, etc?

    >I don't understand the question. A switch is just a switch. If the
    >keyboard works at all, then all functions of that specific keyboard will
    >work fine. -Dave

    Actually, not necessarily. Or, more specifically, not necessarily
    with a mouse. My Belkin 8-port at work will allow alternate mouse
    functions as long as you're still on the machine you booted with. As
    soon as you switch away and come back, you've lost the programmable
    mouse features, like the thumb button and stuff like that. Very
    annoying.

    Paul

Homebuilt Switch KVM Keyboards Systems