Drive Locked or Not Formatted

Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
January 27, 2005 10:17:06 PM

I had ran the "disk cleanup" utility on my machine. Got the blue screen and
would not clear. Reset machine and drive was no longer accessable.
Installed a spare drive that I had and loaded ME onto it to get my machine
back up. Tried to run scandisk from safe mode and Dos mode. Safe mode says
drive is locked by disk utility or needs to be formatted. DOS mode says
invalid media. Drive space can see drive and reports it as having 0 bytes
available and 0 bytes used, but does report file system as FAT. Fdisk also
sees drive and reports the file system as unknown. Tried "unlock" command,
would not work. Anybody with any ideas?

More about : drive locked formatted

Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:57:25 AM

Use fdisk to repartition and reformat the drive as FAT32, by choosing "Use
Large Disk" option.
Then reinstall the WinME OS to the newly created primary volume of your
desired size.

"How to Use the Fdisk Tool and the Format Tool to Partition or
Repartition a Hard Disk"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];255867

"Order in Which MS-DOS and Windows Assign Drive Letters"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];51978

Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Thomas Wilburn" <ThomasWilburn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I had ran the "disk cleanup" utility on my machine. Got the blue screen
and
> would not clear. Reset machine and drive was no longer accessable.
> Installed a spare drive that I had and loaded ME onto it to get my machine
> back up. Tried to run scandisk from safe mode and Dos mode. Safe mode
says
> drive is locked by disk utility or needs to be formatted. DOS mode says
> invalid media. Drive space can see drive and reports it as having 0 bytes
> available and 0 bytes used, but does report file system as FAT. Fdisk
also
> sees drive and reports the file system as unknown. Tried "unlock"
command,
> would not work. Anybody with any ideas?
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 12:08:36 PM

Thomas Wilburn wrote:
> I had ran the "disk cleanup" utility on my machine. Got the blue screen and
> would not clear. Reset machine and drive was no longer accessable.
> Installed a spare drive that I had and loaded ME onto it to get my machine
> back up. Tried to run scandisk from safe mode and Dos mode. Safe mode says
> drive is locked by disk utility or needs to be formatted. DOS mode says
> invalid media. Drive space can see drive and reports it as having 0 bytes
> available and 0 bytes used, but does report file system as FAT. Fdisk also
> sees drive and reports the file system as unknown. Tried "unlock" command,
> would not work. Anybody with any ideas?

This might be time to try

A:\> FDISK /MBR

Rick
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 5:59:46 PM

Check out the following KB article first and note the "Warnings"!!

"FDISK /MBR Rewrites the Master Boot Record"
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;69013

Mart