couple questions about cloning a HD

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2004 5:19:05 AM

I am running out of space and would like to clone my HD. First, can
Windows do this or do I need 3rd party software? Second, is it possible
to clone a single drive on an IDE channel to a striped RAID pair of SATA
HDs? Third, how dependable is striped RAID? Or does it depend on the
controller? I would be using the on-board RAID on an Abit NF7-S. For
example, if the mobo died and I needed another one, would all my data be
gone? TIA.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2004 9:21:31 AM

"David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
>I am running out of space and would like to clone my HD. First, can
>Windows do this or do I need 3rd party software? Second, is it possible to
>clone a single drive on an IDE channel to a striped RAID pair of SATA HDs?
>Third, how dependable is striped RAID? Or does it depend on the
>controller? I would be using the on-board RAID on an Abit NF7-S. For
>example, if the mobo died and I needed another one, would all my data be
>gone? TIA.

The answer to all your questions is to buy Acronis True Image and use it
regularly to back up everything. -Dave
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2004 2:44:34 PM

David Besack wrote:
> I am running out of space and would like to clone my HD. First, can
> Windows do this or do I need 3rd party software? Second, is it possible
> to clone a single drive on an IDE channel to a striped RAID pair of SATA
> HDs? Third, how dependable is striped RAID? Or does it depend on the
> controller? I would be using the on-board RAID on an Abit NF7-S. For
> example, if the mobo died and I needed another one, would all my data be
> gone? TIA.
For plain and simple cloning I found the free utilities from the drive
manufactures are the simplest to use. They may not be the fastest but
but they definitely are the easiest.
November 5, 2004 3:12:41 PM

"tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
> David Besack wrote:
>> I am running out of space and would like to clone my HD. First, can
>> Windows do this or do I need 3rd party software? Second, is it possible
>> to clone a single drive on an IDE channel to a striped RAID pair of SATA
>> HDs? Third, how dependable is striped RAID? Or does it depend on the
>> controller? I would be using the on-board RAID on an Abit NF7-S. For
>> example, if the mobo died and I needed another one, would all my data be
>> gone? TIA.
> For plain and simple cloning I found the free utilities from the drive
> manufactures are the simplest to use. They may not be the fastest but but
> they definitely are the easiest.

I definitely agree with this assessment. I have always just used the drive
manufacturers software to transfer from old to new drive. I also use Image
for Windows to do weekly images of the system drive in case I need to
restore because of drive failure. Always use some sort of imaging software
to keep a current image in case of drive failure or system meltdown........
!