couple questions about cloning a HD

I am running out of space and would like to clone my HD. First, can
Windows do this or do I need 3rd party software? Second, is it possible
to clone a single drive on an IDE channel to a striped RAID pair of SATA
HDs? Third, how dependable is striped RAID? Or does it depend on the
controller? I would be using the on-board RAID on an Abit NF7-S. For
example, if the mobo died and I needed another one, would all my data be
gone? TIA.
3 answers Last reply
More about couple questions cloning

    "David Besack" <daveREMOVEbesack@mac.com> wrote in message
    >I am running out of space and would like to clone my HD. First, can
    >Windows do this or do I need 3rd party software? Second, is it possible to
    >clone a single drive on an IDE channel to a striped RAID pair of SATA HDs?
    >Third, how dependable is striped RAID? Or does it depend on the
    >controller? I would be using the on-board RAID on an Abit NF7-S. For
    >example, if the mobo died and I needed another one, would all my data be
    >gone? TIA.

    The answer to all your questions is to buy Acronis True Image and use it
    regularly to back up everything. -Dave

    David Besack wrote:
    > I am running out of space and would like to clone my HD. First, can
    > Windows do this or do I need 3rd party software? Second, is it possible
    > to clone a single drive on an IDE channel to a striped RAID pair of SATA
    > HDs? Third, how dependable is striped RAID? Or does it depend on the
    > controller? I would be using the on-board RAID on an Abit NF7-S. For
    > example, if the mobo died and I needed another one, would all my data be
    > gone? TIA.
    For plain and simple cloning I found the free utilities from the drive
    manufactures are the simplest to use. They may not be the fastest but
    but they definitely are the easiest.

    "tomcas" <tomcas@mjwebsitedesign.com> wrote in message
    > David Besack wrote:
    >> I am running out of space and would like to clone my HD. First, can
    >> Windows do this or do I need 3rd party software? Second, is it possible
    >> to clone a single drive on an IDE channel to a striped RAID pair of SATA
    >> HDs? Third, how dependable is striped RAID? Or does it depend on the
    >> controller? I would be using the on-board RAID on an Abit NF7-S. For
    >> example, if the mobo died and I needed another one, would all my data be
    >> gone? TIA.
    > For plain and simple cloning I found the free utilities from the drive
    > manufactures are the simplest to use. They may not be the fastest but but
    > they definitely are the easiest.

    I definitely agree with this assessment. I have always just used the drive
    manufacturers software to transfer from old to new drive. I also use Image
    for Windows to do weekly images of the system drive in case I need to
    restore because of drive failure. Always use some sort of imaging software
    to keep a current image in case of drive failure or system meltdown........

Homebuilt NAS / RAID HD Systems