XP Prf Clean Install Problem..

Hey, I'm trying to carry out a clean XP install onto a Maxtor 160Gb Disk,
the
BIOS correctly displays the disk as 163GB, but when I run the XP setup
(first from floppies then from a non-bootable CD) it displays the existing
partitions as C: Partition 1 [Unknown] 131072MB.. Anyone know how I can fix
this? I've even tried connecting the disk to my existing system, formatting
it and splitting it into 3 separate partitions, but the XP setup still
recognises it only as a single 131.072GB partition. Also I've used a Win98SE
bootup disk and FDisk only recognises it as something similiar in size. I've
carried out this fresh XP install on the exact same disk model on a
different computer with no problems, so I'm out of ideas.

Any help appreciated!!
ACowan
5 answers Last reply
More about clean install problem

    "A Cowan" <ally@-NOSPAM-cowan1057.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hey, I'm trying to carry out a clean XP install onto a Maxtor 160Gb Disk,
    > the
    > BIOS correctly displays the disk as 163GB, but when I run the XP setup
    > (first from floppies then from a non-bootable CD) it displays the existing
    > partitions as C: Partition 1 [Unknown] 131072MB.. Anyone know how I can
    > fix
    > this? I've even tried connecting the disk to my existing system,
    > formatting
    > it and splitting it into 3 separate partitions, but the XP setup still
    > recognises it only as a single 131.072GB partition. Also I've used a
    > Win98SE
    > bootup disk and FDisk only recognises it as something similiar in size.
    > I've
    > carried out this fresh XP install on the exact same disk model on a
    > different computer with no problems, so I'm out of ideas.
    >
    > Any help appreciated!!
    > ACowan

    Ummmm . . . OK, we are mixing up a couple of terms here. A partition is a
    storage area that you create on a hard drive. In that area, you can create
    logical drives (Windows C:, D:, etc.). After logical drives are created,
    the logical drives must be formatted. Only then can an operating system be
    installed on any logical drive.

    XP setup is displaying C: Partition 1 [unknown] 131072MB, which makes
    perfect sense, ASSUMING that there is one logical drive (C:) on Partition 1,
    and that C: has not been formatted yet. (Before formatting, the file system
    is "unknown".

    Your XP setup SHOULD prompt you to format C:

    If for some reason it doesn't, you can prepare the drive using your Win98SE
    bootup disk. Windows XP will recognize a FAT32 partition, which your
    Windows 98SE boot disk can create. As you boot your Windows 98SE floppy,
    make sure that you enable large drive support.

    But it would be better to format C: as NTFS, which is a file system that
    Windows XP would normally use. (thought it's happy to use FAT32, as well,
    if you insist) But C: must be formatted, or you will continue to see it
    listed as "unknown". -Dave

    A Cowan wrote:

    > Hey, I'm trying to carry out a clean XP install onto a Maxtor 160Gb Disk,
    > the
    > BIOS correctly displays the disk as 163GB, but when I run the XP setup
    > (first from floppies then from a non-bootable CD) it displays the existing
    > partitions as C: Partition 1 [Unknown] 131072MB.. Anyone know how I can fix
    > this? I've even tried connecting the disk to my existing system, formatting
    > it and splitting it into 3 separate partitions, but the XP setup still
    > recognises it only as a single 131.072GB partition. Also I've used a Win98SE
    > bootup disk and FDisk only recognises it as something similiar in size. I've
    > carried out this fresh XP install on the exact same disk model on a
    > different computer with no problems, so I'm out of ideas.
    >
    > Any help appreciated!!
    > ACowan

    XP doesn't have 48-bit LBA support, needed to see drive sizes over 131 Gig,
    until Service Pack 1 is installed.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

    "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    >A Cowan wrote:
    >
    >> Hey, I'm trying to carry out a clean XP install onto a Maxtor 160Gb Disk,
    >> the
    >> BIOS correctly displays the disk as 163GB, but when I run the XP setup
    >> (first from floppies then from a non-bootable CD) it displays the
    >> existing
    >> partitions as C: Partition 1 [Unknown] 131072MB.. Anyone know how I can
    >> fix
    >> this? I've even tried connecting the disk to my existing system,
    >> formatting
    >> it and splitting it into 3 separate partitions, but the XP setup still
    >> recognises it only as a single 131.072GB partition. Also I've used a
    >> Win98SE
    >> bootup disk and FDisk only recognises it as something similiar in size.
    >> I've
    >> carried out this fresh XP install on the exact same disk model on a
    >> different computer with no problems, so I'm out of ideas.
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated!!
    >> ACowan
    >>

    > XP doesn't have 48-bit LBA support, needed to see drive sizes over 131
    > Gig, until Service Pack 1 is installed.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013

    Oh . . . my . . . . GOD!!!! All programmers at Microsoft should be FIRED
    for incompetence. You'd think they would have learned from having to patch
    Windows 98 to handle 512MB of RAM. Somebody didn't think that hard drives
    would hit 140GB before Windows XP was obsolete? Like I said before, they
    should all be FIRED for incompetence. Releasing a service pack to fix this
    is kind of like selling a car without an engine, and then offering a free
    engine a year or two after the car is sold. Too little, too late. -Dave

    Dave C. wrote:

    > "David Maynard" <dNOTmayn@ev1.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>A Cowan wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hey, I'm trying to carry out a clean XP install onto a Maxtor 160Gb Disk,
    >>>the
    >>>BIOS correctly displays the disk as 163GB, but when I run the XP setup
    >>>(first from floppies then from a non-bootable CD) it displays the
    >>>existing
    >>>partitions as C: Partition 1 [Unknown] 131072MB.. Anyone know how I can
    >>>fix
    >>>this? I've even tried connecting the disk to my existing system,
    >>>formatting
    >>>it and splitting it into 3 separate partitions, but the XP setup still
    >>>recognises it only as a single 131.072GB partition. Also I've used a
    >>>Win98SE
    >>>bootup disk and FDisk only recognises it as something similiar in size.
    >>>I've
    >>>carried out this fresh XP install on the exact same disk model on a
    >>>different computer with no problems, so I'm out of ideas.
    >>>
    >>>Any help appreciated!!
    >>>ACowan
    >>>

    >>XP doesn't have 48-bit LBA support, needed to see drive sizes over 131
    >>Gig, until Service Pack 1 is installed.
    >>
    >>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;303013
    >

    > Oh . . . my . . . . GOD!!!! All programmers at Microsoft should be FIRED
    > for incompetence. You'd think they would have learned from having to patch
    > Windows 98 to handle 512MB of RAM. Somebody didn't think that hard drives
    > would hit 140GB before Windows XP was obsolete?

    It isn't a matter of not foreseeing larger drives. It's a matter of not
    knowing precisely how to talk to them because the 48 bit LBA standard
    hadn't been finalized in time and what non existent BIOS and 'future' disk
    drives do you test it with?

    > Like I said before, they
    > should all be FIRED for incompetence. Releasing a service pack to fix this
    > is kind of like selling a car without an engine, and then offering a free
    > engine a year or two after the car is sold. Too little, too late. -Dave

    Rather it's more like you expecting your car to have a 'next generation'
    GPS system included because you know "they're working on it" but haven't
    finalized what the frequencies will be, are still debating precisely how it
    will work, and haven't launched any satellites yet to test it with.

    set your cmos to boot from the cdrom
    put the xp disk in the cdrom
    it will install and format the drive for you, just
    follow the prompts.

Homebuilt Clean Install Windows XP Systems