Reinstalling ME

I have an ME machine that I gave up on a while back. As I remember, I was
getting some error about corrupt registry and the machine would not re-boot
(a year ago).
Instead of it sitting on a shelf, I want to try to get it to work again.
I started the machine with the emergency boot disk, and ran ScanDisk.
Fiddling around with the results, I saw an area to restore an old registry
point.
I did that, and the machine re-booted. (Now, the left side of the windows
explorer is blank, doesn't show the tree of folders)
I downloaded Spybot, and removed some junk that it found (I've used Spybot a
lot, I trusted the results)

Now, upon reboot, the machine always wants to do a ScanDisk, because the
"abnormal system termination" checkbox is checked. And, I always cancel
that.

Anyway, the machine is a mess, and I want to re-install the OS. I would like
to save some of the stuff I have on it. Can I re-install over top of the
existing OS within wiping the drive ?
I seem to see varying opinions about this. Any caveats ? This whole process
has been misery (I probably will be flamed for not giving enough info, but I
give up on fixing it. I need to re-install)

Any caveats about trying to go to W2K pro ?

Thanks for any advice,

Mike
6 answers Last reply
More about reinstalling

    Why not yank the old hard drive out and put it in your newer machine
    long enough to transfer files over... then you can install fresh without
    worrying.

    Win2K is a bit different... been using it about a week now and it has
    its ups and downs compared to WinME.

    Rick

    Mike wrote:
    > I have an ME machine that I gave up on a while back. As I remember, I was
    > getting some error about corrupt registry and the machine would not re-boot
    > (a year ago).
    > Instead of it sitting on a shelf, I want to try to get it to work again.
    > I started the machine with the emergency boot disk, and ran ScanDisk.
    > Fiddling around with the results, I saw an area to restore an old registry
    > point.
    > I did that, and the machine re-booted. (Now, the left side of the windows
    > explorer is blank, doesn't show the tree of folders)
    > I downloaded Spybot, and removed some junk that it found (I've used Spybot a
    > lot, I trusted the results)
    >
    > Now, upon reboot, the machine always wants to do a ScanDisk, because the
    > "abnormal system termination" checkbox is checked. And, I always cancel
    > that.
    >
    > Anyway, the machine is a mess, and I want to re-install the OS. I would like
    > to save some of the stuff I have on it. Can I re-install over top of the
    > existing OS within wiping the drive ?
    > I seem to see varying opinions about this. Any caveats ? This whole process
    > has been misery (I probably will be flamed for not giving enough info, but I
    > give up on fixing it. I need to re-install)
    >
    > Any caveats about trying to go to W2K pro ?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    >
    > Mike

    You'll have to format that drive to have a stable W2K installation on
    it. It would be easy enough to slave the drive in another machine and
    salvage your files then wipe the whole thing clean and install w2k.
    System requirements for W2K:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evaluation/sysreqs/default.asp

    If the machine boots to ME go in the Device Manager and find out what
    hardware is in there then go to the manufacturers web sites and download
    the latest drivers for Windows 2000. It makes it much easier and faster
    to install when you have these drivers already on hand. Also, DO NOT
    connect a new Windows 2000 installation to the internet UNLESS you have
    a properly configured firewall or have applied blaster worm patch (and a
    couple others), you will most probably get a worm or virus within 30
    seconds.

    John

    John John wrote:

    > Also, DO NOT
    > connect a new Windows 2000 installation to the internet UNLESS you have
    > a properly configured firewall or have applied blaster worm patch (and a
    > couple others), you will most probably get a worm or virus within 30
    > seconds.

    dunno 'bout "30 seconds", but my machine (behind a router with a basic
    firewall) was compromised sometime during installation of Win2k from
    scratch... Alexis buggie. Only took a couple seconds to remove, but still...

    Rick

    On a cable connection eh? It's (W2K) FULL of security holes! XP is no
    better. Once patched and behind a good firewall though it's a very good
    operating system.

    John

    Rick T wrote:

    > John John wrote:
    >
    >> Also, DO NOT connect a new Windows 2000 installation to the internet
    >> UNLESS you have a properly configured firewall or have applied blaster
    >> worm patch (and a couple others), you will most probably get a worm or
    >> virus within 30 seconds.
    >

    > dunno 'bout "30 seconds", but my machine (behind a router with a basic
    > firewall) was compromised sometime during installation of Win2k from
    > scratch... Alexis buggie. Only took a couple seconds to remove, but
    > still...
    >

    > Rick

    XP SP2 out of the box installs with the firewall enabled unlike earlier
    versions.
    --
    Mike Maltby MS-MVP
    mike.maltby@gmail.com

    John John <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

    > On a cable connection eh? It's (W2K) FULL of security holes! XP is
    > no better. Once patched and behind a good firewall though it's a
    > very good operating system.

    http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/clean.htm
    http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

    XP Compatibility Checker
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp
    Attn to dial-up users: ~ 32 - 50 MB !!

    Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
    by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
    © 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
    http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

    Your cooperation is very appreciated.
    ------
    "Mike" <mberger@skypoint.com> wrote in message
    > I have an ME machine that I gave up on a while back. As I remember, I was
    > getting some error about corrupt registry and the machine would not
    re-boot
    > (a year ago).
    > Instead of it sitting on a shelf, I want to try to get it to work again.
    > I started the machine with the emergency boot disk, and ran ScanDisk.
    > Fiddling around with the results, I saw an area to restore an old registry
    > point.
    > I did that, and the machine re-booted. (Now, the left side of the windows
    > explorer is blank, doesn't show the tree of folders)
    > I downloaded Spybot, and removed some junk that it found (I've used Spybot
    > lot, I trusted the results)
    >
    > Now, upon reboot, the machine always wants to do a ScanDisk, because the
    > "abnormal system termination" checkbox is checked. And, I always cancel
    > that.
    >
    > Anyway, the machine is a mess, and I want to re-install the OS. I would
    like
    > to save some of the stuff I have on it. Can I re-install over top of the
    > existing OS within wiping the drive ?
    > I seem to see varying opinions about this. Any caveats ? This whole
    process
    > has been misery (I probably will be flamed for not giving enough info, but
    > give up on fixing it. I need to re-install)
    >
    > Any caveats about trying to go to W2K pro ?
    >
    > Thanks for any advice,
    >
    > Mike

Windows