Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Reinstalling ME

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
January 28, 2005 2:38:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

I have an ME machine that I gave up on a while back. As I remember, I was
getting some error about corrupt registry and the machine would not re-boot
(a year ago).
Instead of it sitting on a shelf, I want to try to get it to work again.
I started the machine with the emergency boot disk, and ran ScanDisk.
Fiddling around with the results, I saw an area to restore an old registry
point.
I did that, and the machine re-booted. (Now, the left side of the windows
explorer is blank, doesn't show the tree of folders)
I downloaded Spybot, and removed some junk that it found (I've used Spybot a
lot, I trusted the results)

Now, upon reboot, the machine always wants to do a ScanDisk, because the
"abnormal system termination" checkbox is checked. And, I always cancel
that.

Anyway, the machine is a mess, and I want to re-install the OS. I would like
to save some of the stuff I have on it. Can I re-install over top of the
existing OS within wiping the drive ?
I seem to see varying opinions about this. Any caveats ? This whole process
has been misery (I probably will be flamed for not giving enough info, but I
give up on fixing it. I need to re-install)

Any caveats about trying to go to W2K pro ?

Thanks for any advice,

Mike

More about : reinstalling

Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:16:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

Why not yank the old hard drive out and put it in your newer machine
long enough to transfer files over... then you can install fresh without
worrying.

Win2K is a bit different... been using it about a week now and it has
its ups and downs compared to WinME.


Rick

Mike wrote:
> I have an ME machine that I gave up on a while back. As I remember, I was
> getting some error about corrupt registry and the machine would not re-boot
> (a year ago).
> Instead of it sitting on a shelf, I want to try to get it to work again.
> I started the machine with the emergency boot disk, and ran ScanDisk.
> Fiddling around with the results, I saw an area to restore an old registry
> point.
> I did that, and the machine re-booted. (Now, the left side of the windows
> explorer is blank, doesn't show the tree of folders)
> I downloaded Spybot, and removed some junk that it found (I've used Spybot a
> lot, I trusted the results)
>
> Now, upon reboot, the machine always wants to do a ScanDisk, because the
> "abnormal system termination" checkbox is checked. And, I always cancel
> that.
>
> Anyway, the machine is a mess, and I want to re-install the OS. I would like
> to save some of the stuff I have on it. Can I re-install over top of the
> existing OS within wiping the drive ?
> I seem to see varying opinions about this. Any caveats ? This whole process
> has been misery (I probably will be flamed for not giving enough info, but I
> give up on fixing it. I need to re-install)
>
> Any caveats about trying to go to W2K pro ?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Mike
>
>
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:12:31 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

You'll have to format that drive to have a stable W2K installation on
it. It would be easy enough to slave the drive in another machine and
salvage your files then wipe the whole thing clean and install w2k.
System requirements for W2K:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/professional/evalu...

If the machine boots to ME go in the Device Manager and find out what
hardware is in there then go to the manufacturers web sites and download
the latest drivers for Windows 2000. It makes it much easier and faster
to install when you have these drivers already on hand. Also, DO NOT
connect a new Windows 2000 installation to the internet UNLESS you have
a properly configured firewall or have applied blaster worm patch (and a
couple others), you will most probably get a worm or virus within 30
seconds.

John

Mike wrote:

> I have an ME machine that I gave up on a while back. As I remember, I was
> getting some error about corrupt registry and the machine would not re-boot
> (a year ago).
> Instead of it sitting on a shelf, I want to try to get it to work again.
> I started the machine with the emergency boot disk, and ran ScanDisk.
> Fiddling around with the results, I saw an area to restore an old registry
> point.
> I did that, and the machine re-booted. (Now, the left side of the windows
> explorer is blank, doesn't show the tree of folders)
> I downloaded Spybot, and removed some junk that it found (I've used Spybot a
> lot, I trusted the results)
>
> Now, upon reboot, the machine always wants to do a ScanDisk, because the
> "abnormal system termination" checkbox is checked. And, I always cancel
> that.
>
> Anyway, the machine is a mess, and I want to re-install the OS. I would like
> to save some of the stuff I have on it. Can I re-install over top of the
> existing OS within wiping the drive ?
> I seem to see varying opinions about this. Any caveats ? This whole process
> has been misery (I probably will be flamed for not giving enough info, but I
> give up on fixing it. I need to re-install)
>
> Any caveats about trying to go to W2K pro ?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Mike
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:12:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

John John wrote:

> Also, DO NOT
> connect a new Windows 2000 installation to the internet UNLESS you have
> a properly configured firewall or have applied blaster worm patch (and a
> couple others), you will most probably get a worm or virus within 30
> seconds.

dunno 'bout "30 seconds", but my machine (behind a router with a basic
firewall) was compromised sometime during installation of Win2k from
scratch... Alexis buggie. Only took a couple seconds to remove, but still...


Rick
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 5:46:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

On a cable connection eh? It's (W2K) FULL of security holes! XP is no
better. Once patched and behind a good firewall though it's a very good
operating system.

John

Rick T wrote:

> John John wrote:
>
>> Also, DO NOT connect a new Windows 2000 installation to the internet
>> UNLESS you have a properly configured firewall or have applied blaster
>> worm patch (and a couple others), you will most probably get a worm or
>> virus within 30 seconds.
>
>
> dunno 'bout "30 seconds", but my machine (behind a router with a basic
> firewall) was compromised sometime during installation of Win2k from
> scratch... Alexis buggie. Only took a couple seconds to remove, but
> still...
>
>
> Rick
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 10:38:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

XP SP2 out of the box installs with the firewall enabled unlike earlier
versions.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com


John John <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

> On a cable connection eh? It's (W2K) FULL of security holes! XP is
> no better. Once patched and behind a good firewall though it's a
> very good operating system.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:42:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsme.general (More info?)

http://www.aumha.org/a/whichwin.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/clean.htm
http://www.aumha.org/a/xpupgrad.htm

XP Compatibility Checker
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgradi...
Attn to dial-up users: ~ 32 - 50 MB !!

Windows Product Activation (WPA) on Windows XP
by Alex Nichol, MS-MVP
© 2001-2002 by Author, All Rights Reserved
http://www.aumha.org/a/wpa.htm

--
Jack E. Martinelli 2002-05 MS MVP for Shell/User / DTS
Help us help you: http://www.dts-L.org/goodpost.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/defaul...
Your cooperation is very appreciated.
------
"Mike" <mberger@skypoint.com> wrote in message
news:0badnZW4z5HQ5GfcRVnyhQ@skypoint.com...
> I have an ME machine that I gave up on a while back. As I remember, I was
> getting some error about corrupt registry and the machine would not
re-boot
> (a year ago).
> Instead of it sitting on a shelf, I want to try to get it to work again.
> I started the machine with the emergency boot disk, and ran ScanDisk.
> Fiddling around with the results, I saw an area to restore an old registry
> point.
> I did that, and the machine re-booted. (Now, the left side of the windows
> explorer is blank, doesn't show the tree of folders)
> I downloaded Spybot, and removed some junk that it found (I've used Spybot
a
> lot, I trusted the results)
>
> Now, upon reboot, the machine always wants to do a ScanDisk, because the
> "abnormal system termination" checkbox is checked. And, I always cancel
> that.
>
> Anyway, the machine is a mess, and I want to re-install the OS. I would
like
> to save some of the stuff I have on it. Can I re-install over top of the
> existing OS within wiping the drive ?
> I seem to see varying opinions about this. Any caveats ? This whole
process
> has been misery (I probably will be flamed for not giving enough info, but
I
> give up on fixing it. I need to re-install)
>
> Any caveats about trying to go to W2K pro ?
>
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Mike
>
>
!