Legacy Scanner Problem

I have a system (200MHZ, 4GB HDD, 128MB RAM) that I have upgraded to WIN ME;
previous OS was WIN95. On the previous install with '95 everything worked
correctly; I have a sheetfed scanner (ISA board, Info ImageReader SE6C).
The scanner worked fine with 95, but cannot be used with WIN ME. Any
suggestions, the error is always from the scanner software: scandevc.sys not
installed. Any suggestions...I've tried 6 or 7 drivers and rebuilt 2x.
Kurt

If the scanner requires real mode drivers loaded via config.sys (such as
perhaps scandevc.sys) then it is incompatible with, and cannot be used
with Win Me since Win Me does not support real mode.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com

Kurtis Myers <myers6516@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I have a system (200MHZ, 4GB HDD, 128MB RAM) that I have upgraded to
> WIN ME; previous OS was WIN95. On the previous install with '95
> everything worked correctly; I have a sheetfed scanner (ISA board,
> Info ImageReader SE6C). The scanner worked fine with 95, but cannot
> be used with WIN ME. Any suggestions, the error is always from the
> scanner software: scandevc.sys not installed. Any suggestions...I've
> tried 6 or 7 drivers and rebuilt 2x. Kurt

"Kurtis Myers" <myers6516@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have a system (200MHZ, 4GB HDD, 128MB RAM) that I have upgraded to WIN ME;
>previous OS was WIN95. On the previous install with '95 everything worked
>correctly; I have a sheetfed scanner (ISA board, Info ImageReader SE6C).
>The scanner worked fine with 95, but cannot be used with WIN ME. Any
>suggestions, the error is always from the scanner software: scandevc.sys not
>installed. Any suggestions...I've tried 6 or 7 drivers and rebuilt 2x.
>Kurt

You could try using a utility named CTLOAD.EXE to install the drivers
that would normally be in the config.sys file. No guarantee but it
is worth trying.

I found a download site for it at
http://www.liaokai.com/softw_en/dos.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Thank you Ron for the recommendation; I considered CTLoad, but noticed it
was not the exact fix I needed. I found a work around by using a "Real
DOS_Mode Patch for Windows Millennium by Reines (MFD)". I did the trick and
was very easy to apply.
"Kurtis Myers" <myers6516@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have a system (200MHZ, 4GB HDD, 128MB RAM) that I have upgraded to WIN
>ME; previous OS was WIN95. On the previous install with '95 everything
>worked correctly; I have a sheetfed scanner (ISA board, Info ImageReader
>SE6C). The scanner worked fine with 95, but cannot be used with WIN ME.
>Any suggestions, the error is always from the scanner software:
>scandevc.sys not installed. Any suggestions...I've tried 6 or 7 drivers
>and rebuilt 2x.
> Kurt

OH DEAR!!!
I do hope you don't ever need to use Safe Mode!

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

> Thank you Ron for the recommendation; I considered CTLoad, but noticed it
> was not the exact fix I needed. I found a work around by using a "Real
> DOS_Mode Patch for Windows Millennium by Reines (MFD)". I did the trick
> and was very easy to apply.
> "Kurtis Myers" <myers6516@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have a system (200MHZ, 4GB HDD, 128MB RAM) that I have upgraded to WIN
>>ME; previous OS was WIN95. On the previous install with '95 everything
>>worked correctly; I have a sheetfed scanner (ISA board, Info ImageReader
>>SE6C). The scanner worked fine with 95, but cannot be used with WIN ME.
>>Any suggestions, the error is always from the scanner software:
>>scandevc.sys not installed. Any suggestions...I've tried 6 or 7 drivers
>>and rebuilt 2x.
>> Kurt

My thoughts as well Noel which is why I chose not to refer to this
so-called solution in my original post to this thread.
--
Mike Maltby MS-MVP
mike.maltby@gmail.com