Education on new technologies

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Are there any web sites that do a good job of explaining the new
technologies available when considering components for a PC. I have built a
PC a long time ago, and want to do it again, but need to learn more about
the new technologies before deciding on any components. RAID, SATA, dual
channel memory, various CPU types, are all new to me, so looking to educate
myself before building a new PC. My current PC is powered by an Athlon 550,
so been a while!

Thank you,

- Phil

"Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Are there any web sites that do a good job of explaining the new
> technologies available when considering components for a PC. I have built
> a PC a long time ago, and want to do it again, but need to learn more
> about the new technologies before deciding on any components. RAID, SATA,
> dual channel memory, various CPU types, are all new to me, so looking to
> educate myself before building a new PC. My current PC is powered by an
> Athlon 550, so been a while!
>
> Thank you,
>
> - Phil

http://www.tomshardware.com/

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

Been reading www.tomshardware.com, but somewhat above my head! Still, I am
trying to get up to speed. Maybe I am missing a part of his site, where he
talks to his semi-technical folk.

- Phil

> Been reading www.tomshardware.com, but somewhat above my head! Still, I
am
> trying to get up to speed. Maybe I am missing a part of his site, where
he
> talks to his semi-technical folk.
>
> - Phil
>
> "Dave C." <mdupre@sff.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >> Are there any web sites that do a good job of explaining the new
> >> technologies available when considering components for a PC. I have
> >> built a PC a long time ago, and want to do it again, but need to learn
> >> more about the new technologies before deciding on any components.
RAID,
> >> SATA, dual channel memory, various CPU types, are all new to me, so
> >> looking to educate myself before building a new PC. My current PC is
> >> powered by an Athlon 550, so been a while!
> >>
> >> Thank you,
> >>
> >> - Phil
> >
> > http://www.tomshardware.com/

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/

jimbob

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2001

Dave C. wrote:
> "Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> Are there any web sites that do a good job of explaining the new
>> technologies available when considering components for a PC. I have
>> built a PC a long time ago, and want to do it again, but need to
>> learn more about the new technologies before deciding on any
>> components. RAID, SATA, dual channel memory, various CPU types, are
>> all new to me, so looking to educate myself before building a new
>> PC. My current PC is powered by an Athlon 550, so been a while!
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>> - Phil
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/

Johnny 5 would be happy with that.

I would recommend you subscribe to some computer hobbiest magazines.

--
DaveW