L O U D Antec P/S ??

My friend has an Antec case and power supply. The case is the P 660
performance plus w/ 330 watt true power p/s.
He said it's very loud. (possible it's from other fans in the case?) It's
two years old. Are the new ones quieter?

I'm looking at cases and want a quiet one, the Antec site claims their cases
and p/s are quiet. Any opinions
on these claims or maybe a site that has some comparisons?

thanks, Mr Koko

gerry

On Fri, 5 Nov 2004 21:12:57 -0500, "Mr Koko" <mrkoko@comcast.FISHnet>
wrote:

>My friend has an Antec case and power supply. The case is the P 660
>performance plus w/ 330 watt true power p/s.
>He said it's very loud. (possible it's from other fans in the case?) It's
>two years old. Are the new ones quieter?
>
>I'm looking at cases and want a quiet one, the Antec site claims their cases
>and p/s are quiet. Any opinions
>on these claims or maybe a site that has some comparisons?
>
>thanks, Mr Koko

The fans in the PS are temp controlled. If your system is drawing a
lot of juice, the fan will be nosier.

A larger PSU which can supply more juice easily will have a quieter
fan. My Antec 500 is lost in the background compared to my case, cpu,
and video card fans.

Mr Koko wrote:
> My friend has an Antec case and power supply. The case is the P 660
> performance plus w/ 330 watt true power p/s.
> He said it's very loud. (possible it's from other fans in the case?)
> It's two years old. Are the new ones quieter?
>
> I'm looking at cases and want a quiet one, the Antec site claims
> their cases and p/s are quiet. Any opinions
> on these claims or maybe a site that has some comparisons?

Fans can become noisy. Have your friend unplug one case fan at a time, with
AC power disconnected from the power supply, until the offending fan is
found. It might also be a video card fan, PSU fan, or the CPU fan. Do not
unplug this one at any time. Replace any failing fans rather than oiling
them. Sunon is my first choice for inexpensive dual ball bearing fans. The
Panaflo line is quieter still.

Antec does make good quality cases and power supplys. The Sonata model is
very popular. CoolerMaster and Lian Li also make excellent cases.

jk

"S.Heenan" wrote:

> Mr Koko wrote:
> > My friend has an Antec case and power supply. The case is the P 660
> > performance plus w/ 330 watt true power p/s.
> > He said it's very loud. (possible it's from other fans in the case?)
> > It's two years old. Are the new ones quieter?
> >
> > I'm looking at cases and want a quiet one, the Antec site claims
> > their cases and p/s are quiet. Any opinions
> > on these claims or maybe a site that has some comparisons?
>
> Fans can become noisy. Have your friend unplug one case fan at a time, with
> AC power disconnected from the power supply,

How are you going to run the fans without power going to and coming from
the power supply? I suggest running the pc with the case open, then hold
one end of a rubber tube near your ear, then moving the other end around
in the case until the source of the noise is found.

> until the offending fan is
> found. It might also be a video card fan, PSU fan, or the CPU fan. Do not
> unplug this one at any time. Replace any failing fans rather than oiling
> them. Sunon is my first choice for inexpensive dual ball bearing fans. The
> Panaflo line is quieter still.
>
> Antec does make good quality cases and power supplys. The Sonata model is
> very popular. CoolerMaster and Lian Li also make excellent cases.

papa

Antec is one of the better power supply makers. The noise that your friend
is complaining about could be, as you suggested, coming from a case fan. It
could also be coming from the case itself, due to vibration cause by loose
case cover screws.