Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

program requires admin privileges

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 6:04:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Win 2000 SP4 plus all the patches
ADSL Router/Modem  Speedtouch   ST 580
WiFi Card: Speedtouch 120g (connected by a USB2.0 cable)

WiFi will only connect if the user has administrator privileges.
Power users can not establish a WiFi link.

If I log on as admin then log out again then Power users can log in and
establish a WiFi link.

It seams that the WiFi driver software will only load if the use has
admin privileges.

The WiFi application window does not have a profile selected for normal
users (DEFAULT for admin users).

The profile window is blank and there are no profiles in the drop-down
box.

The security is set to off, not WPA-PSK as it should be set to.
If the user logs-in with administrator privileges then all is ok and a
connection is established.

I have had responses from the speedtouch help desk but neither of their
suggestions have helped.

Their solutions are:
If you are using WEP or WPA encryption, once logged in, try to

a) disable and re-enable the SpeedTouch 120 in Control Panel ... Network
and
Dial-up Connections

b) Remove and re-enter the WEP key from the Security tab of the
SpeedTouch Monitor.


Does anyone have any idea how I can over come this problem?

Thanks
July 12, 2005 12:50:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Change the start type for the device driver in the registry from 3 (logon)
to 2.
Or, take it back and ask for a refund.

WPA / WEP etc will be nothing to do with it at all. Use Windows Wireless
Zero Configuration (aka WZC) to control the link and *use* WPA-PSK if u can.
WZC will auto start around windows logon time (before if u wait) on demand
if its start type in services is Auto.

Personally I think this is really shoddy - bad tech support, & network s/w
requiring admin privs to start a device driver........that they install!

Post back if you need info on how to change the driver start type.


"nospam" <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:Rws4WgCPzR0CFwig@nospam.demon.co.uk...
> Win 2000 SP4 plus all the patches
> ADSL Router/Modem Speedtouch ST 580
> WiFi Card: Speedtouch 120g (connected by a USB2.0 cable)
>
> WiFi will only connect if the user has administrator privileges.
> Power users can not establish a WiFi link.
>
> If I log on as admin then log out again then Power users can log in and
> establish a WiFi link.
>
> It seams that the WiFi driver software will only load if the use has admin
> privileges.
>
> The WiFi application window does not have a profile selected for normal
> users (DEFAULT for admin users).
>
> The profile window is blank and there are no profiles in the drop-down
> box.
>
> The security is set to off, not WPA-PSK as it should be set to.
> If the user logs-in with administrator privileges then all is ok and a
> connection is established.
>
> I have had responses from the speedtouch help desk but neither of their
> suggestions have helped.
>
> Their solutions are:
> If you are using WEP or WPA encryption, once logged in, try to
>
> a) disable and re-enable the SpeedTouch 120 in Control Panel ... Network
> and
> Dial-up Connections
>
> b) Remove and re-enter the WEP key from the Security tab of the
> SpeedTouch Monitor.
>
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I can over come this problem?
>
> Thanks
>
>
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:19:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Mercury <me@spam.com> writes
>Change the start type for the device driver in the registry from 3 (logon)
>to 2.
>Or, take it back and ask for a refund.
>

Thanks for that info. Yes I could do with some extra help please.

I have searched the registry for speedtouch and found lots of references
to speedtouch but non have a starttype parameter.

Should I be searching for something else?

Here are a few of the entries I have found in the registry.


Any further advice would be most appreciated.

I don't want to mess the registry up and stop my system from booting.

Thanks.


Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP



HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\alcan5wn

start = 3 REG_DWORD



HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BT4501D

start = 3 REG_DWORD


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\alcan5wn

start = 3 REG_DWORD

type = 3 REG_DWORD


HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\BT4501D
Related resources
July 13, 2005 3:08:18 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

If you are not running XP SP2 this may be futile as XP SP1 had some bugs in
WZC (there are some patches) - it may still be better than what you have. XP
(no SP) - sorry no idea.. Suffice it to say, XP SP2 WZC is *good*.

The best way to find out is to go into device manager (Control Panel /
System / Hardware...) open it up and double click on your Wireles NIC.
On the Driver tab, click Driver Details.
In the list you should see a file name ending in .sys the name before .sys
is what you are looking for in thr registry.

The one you are looking for will be in:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
(Do not look in the other ControlSets - ever as they are used by Last Known
Good - see below).

It *may* be alcan5wn (I use that as an example here).

open regedit

go to the key for the driver (where alcan5wn may not be the correct name).

Make sure you open the key "CurrentControlSet"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\alcan5wn

Change only the start type to 2 from 3.

Reboot.

NOTE: If you stuff it up, press F8 early during boot and choose Last Known
Good.

Disable or remove the s/w that is not working.

In Services (Admin. tools) make sure the (Windows) Wireless Zero
Configuration service is set to Auto Start (double click on it to change its
startup type) and start it.

You may need to reconfigure your card to get it going.

BOL :) 
- Tim



"nospam" <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
news:GPWN5WAnJu0CFwSu@nospam.demon.co.uk...
> Mercury <me@spam.com> writes
>>Change the start type for the device driver in the registry from 3 (logon)
>>to 2.
>>Or, take it back and ask for a refund.
>>
>
> Thanks for that info. Yes I could do with some extra help please.
>
> I have searched the registry for speedtouch and found lots of references
> to speedtouch but non have a starttype parameter.
>
> Should I be searching for something else?
>
> Here are a few of the entries I have found in the registry.
>
>
> Any further advice would be most appreciated.
>
> I don't want to mess the registry up and stop my system from booting.
>
> Thanks.
>
>
> Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP
>
>
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\alcan5wn
>
> start = 3 REG_DWORD
>
>
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BT4501D
>
> start = 3 REG_DWORD
>
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\alcan5wn
>
> start = 3 REG_DWORD
>
> type = 3 REG_DWORD
>
>
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\BT4501D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Anonymous
July 13, 2005 3:59:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Mercury <me@spam.com> writes

I am running win 2k sp4

I have found the following;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BT4501D


it has parameters of

Start = 0x0000003 (3)

Tag = 0x000000e (14)

Type = 0x0000001 (1)


should I amend the start or is this different from the start type
parameter.


There are also other entries similar to above, ControlSet002 etc.

Thanks for the help.

>If you are not running XP SP2 this may be futile as XP SP1 had some bugs in
>WZC (there are some patches) - it may still be better than what you have. XP
>(no SP) - sorry no idea.. Suffice it to say, XP SP2 WZC is *good*.
>
>The best way to find out is to go into device manager (Control Panel /
>System / Hardware...) open it up and double click on your Wireles NIC.
>On the Driver tab, click Driver Details.
>In the list you should see a file name ending in .sys the name before .sys
>is what you are looking for in thr registry.
>
>The one you are looking for will be in:
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services
>(Do not look in the other ControlSets - ever as they are used by Last Known
>Good - see below).
>
>It *may* be alcan5wn (I use that as an example here).
>
>open regedit
>
>go to the key for the driver (where alcan5wn may not be the correct name).
>
>Make sure you open the key "CurrentControlSet"
>
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\alcan5wn
>
>Change only the start type to 2 from 3.
>
>Reboot.
>
>NOTE: If you stuff it up, press F8 early during boot and choose Last Known
>Good.
>
>Disable or remove the s/w that is not working.
>
>In Services (Admin. tools) make sure the (Windows) Wireless Zero
>Configuration service is set to Auto Start (double click on it to change its
>startup type) and start it.
>
>You may need to reconfigure your card to get it going.
>
>BOL :) 
>- Tim
>
>
>
>"nospam" <nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
>news:GPWN5WAnJu0CFwSu@nospam.demon.co.uk...
>> Mercury <me@spam.com> writes
>>>Change the start type for the device driver in the registry from 3 (logon)
>>>to 2.
>>>Or, take it back and ask for a refund.
>>>
>>
>> Thanks for that info. Yes I could do with some extra help please.
>>
>> I have searched the registry for speedtouch and found lots of references
>> to speedtouch but non have a starttype parameter.
>>
>> Should I be searching for something else?
>>
>> Here are a few of the entries I have found in the registry.
>>
>>
>> Any further advice would be most appreciated.
>>
>> I don't want to mess the registry up and stop my system from booting.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>>
>> Alcatel SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP
>>
>>
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\alcan5wn
>>
>> start = 3 REG_DWORD
>>
>>
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\BT4501D
>>
>> start = 3 REG_DWORD
>>
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\alcan5wn
>>
>> start = 3 REG_DWORD
>>
>> type = 3 REG_DWORD
>>
>>
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet002\Services\BT4501D
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
>
July 20, 2005 9:07:47 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

<snip>
> Start of email message
> ====================================================
>
> I have read your mail concerning the the administrator rigth for st120g.
>
> If your st120g work with administrator but not with your network guest
> thats mean your your st120g work perfectly but your windows network is
> badly configure.
> We do not support windows , so you should contact Microsoft to have the
> rigth answer, they will inform you on the way to set the
> admin/guest/invite rigths.
> It's a windows problem, and in this case you should contact microsft and
> not thomson, sorry about that.
>
> If you have further questions, please contact us by phone or send us an
> email, so that we may further assist you.
>
> Kind Regards,
>
> Nabil Mazouzi
> SpeedTouch Helpdesk
> Product Support Specialist
>
> ====================================================
> End of email message

That is a cop out. They write their software that they supply to you to run
under windows. As such, they [should] take responsibility for writing the
software correctly, using the provided windows API's and architecture etc.
as designed and to benefit.

As you have indicated, it is their software that will not run. Windows runs
just dandy.

I would class the above response as a standard "Help" desk brush off. It is
more an admission that they are too lazy to address the problem themselves.
It does not help you, nor does it point you in any specific direction on the
Microsoft end (if their claim had any remote rings of truth, which it
doesn't).

There is a considerable amount of this type of software around that will not
work outside of an Admin account - software that requires access to
priviledged API's in Windows that are priviledged for security reasons.
There are stock standard ways for such vendors to address the use of
priviledge by non-priveleged users EG installing a controller service that
runs with priviledge and that accepts requests from ordinary users. WZC is
an example of such a service.

- Tim
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 2:21:35 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Thanks Tim.

I'm going to email them back but I expect I will ditch and buy from
another manufacture.

Do you have any thoughts as to who is a good supplier.

My ethernet card is from D-Link and that has been perfect since day 1.

thanks again.


Tim <Tim@NoSpam.?.invalid> writes
><snip>
>> Start of email message
>> ====================================================
>>
>> I have read your mail concerning the the administrator rigth for st120g.
>>
>> If your st120g work with administrator but not with your network guest
>> thats mean your your st120g work perfectly but your windows network is
>> badly configure.
>> We do not support windows , so you should contact Microsoft to have the
>> rigth answer, they will inform you on the way to set the
>> admin/guest/invite rigths.
>> It's a windows problem, and in this case you should contact microsft and
>> not thomson, sorry about that.
>>
>> If you have further questions, please contact us by phone or send us an
>> email, so that we may further assist you.
>>
>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Nabil Mazouzi
>> SpeedTouch Helpdesk
>> Product Support Specialist
>>
>> ====================================================
>> End of email message
>
>That is a cop out. They write their software that they supply to you to run
>under windows. As such, they [should] take responsibility for writing the
>software correctly, using the provided windows API's and architecture etc.
>as designed and to benefit.
>
>As you have indicated, it is their software that will not run. Windows runs
>just dandy.
>
>I would class the above response as a standard "Help" desk brush off. It is
>more an admission that they are too lazy to address the problem themselves.
>It does not help you, nor does it point you in any specific direction on the
>Microsoft end (if their claim had any remote rings of truth, which it
>doesn't).
>
>There is a considerable amount of this type of software around that will not
>work outside of an Admin account - software that requires access to
>priviledged API's in Windows that are priviledged for security reasons.
>There are stock standard ways for such vendors to address the use of
>priviledge by non-priveleged users EG installing a controller service that
>runs with priviledge and that accepts requests from ordinary users. WZC is
>an example of such a service.
>
>- Tim
>
>
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:59:48 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

Hi Tim,


I changed the value in the register on my laptop.

All still function correctly but there is no change to the behaviour of
the wireless network card. Normal users still can't start the driver.

Thompson's support staff have not responded to my email so I think it's
time to ditch Thompson and use an alternative manufacture.

Thanks for all your help. I learned a lot along the way so it was not a
total loss.

Thanks again.


In message <CxDopRAfBs3CFwp+@nospam.demon.co.uk>, nospam
<nospam@nospam.demon.co.uk> writes
>Thanks Tim.
>
>I'm going to email them back but I expect I will ditch and buy from
>another manufacture.
>
>Do you have any thoughts as to who is a good supplier.
>
>My ethernet card is from D-Link and that has been perfect since day 1.
>
>thanks again.
>
>
>Tim <Tim@NoSpam.?.invalid> writes
>><snip>
>>> Start of email message
>>> ====================================================
>>>
>>> I have read your mail concerning the the administrator rigth for st120g.
>>>
>>> If your st120g work with administrator but not with your network guest
>>> thats mean your your st120g work perfectly but your windows network is
>>> badly configure.
>>> We do not support windows , so you should contact Microsoft to have the
>>> rigth answer, they will inform you on the way to set the
>>> admin/guest/invite rigths.
>>> It's a windows problem, and in this case you should contact microsft and
>>> not thomson, sorry about that.
>>>
>>> If you have further questions, please contact us by phone or send us an
>>> email, so that we may further assist you.
>>>
>>> Kind Regards,
>>>
>>> Nabil Mazouzi
>>> SpeedTouch Helpdesk
>>> Product Support Specialist
>>>
>>> ====================================================
>>> End of email message
>>
>>That is a cop out. They write their software that they supply to you to run
>>under windows. As such, they [should] take responsibility for writing the
>>software correctly, using the provided windows API's and architecture etc.
>>as designed and to benefit.
>>
>>As you have indicated, it is their software that will not run. Windows runs
>>just dandy.
>>
>>I would class the above response as a standard "Help" desk brush off. It is
>>more an admission that they are too lazy to address the problem themselves.
>>It does not help you, nor does it point you in any specific direction on the
>>Microsoft end (if their claim had any remote rings of truth, which it
>>doesn't).
>>
>>There is a considerable amount of this type of software around that will not
>>work outside of an Admin account - software that requires access to
>>priviledged API's in Windows that are priviledged for security reasons.
>>There are stock standard ways for such vendors to address the use of
>>priviledge by non-priveleged users EG installing a controller service that
>>runs with priviledge and that accepts requests from ordinary users. WZC is
>>an example of such a service.
>>
>>- Tim
>>
>>
>

--
!