me boot and safe mode boot problems

win me freezes on the win me logo screen.
cannot get the computer to run in safe mode.
I can access the black option screen but when i choose safe mode it justs
boot normally and freezes again.
have used the ebd and followed instructions on screen.
have run scandisk /all. still no luck.
have run scanreg /restore and scanreg /fix. still no luck.
yes symantec is installed. sorry but i did not know this was an issue.

Jerry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If Symantec is an issue try booting with your Safety Boot floppy and editing
both SYSTEM.INI and WIN.INI to temporarily remove references to any Symantec
files. To do that you insert a ; (semi-colon) at the beginning of any line
you want to temporarily stop being invoked.

"knacked" <knacked@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> win me freezes on the win me logo screen.
> cannot get the computer to run in safe mode.
> I can access the black option screen but when i choose safe mode it justs
> boot normally and freezes again.
> have used the ebd and followed instructions on screen.
> have run scandisk /all. still no luck.
> have run scanreg /restore and scanreg /fix. still no luck.
> yes symantec is installed. sorry but i did not know this was an issue.

Sorry it took so long to reply but we had government inspectors in our school
last week!!!

This is in fact a friend's laptop and she assures me that she no longer uses
symantec products, she now says that she is using virus checker from AVG.

I have completed your checks and can find no ref to symantec products,
though there is a folder with symantec products still present on the harddisk.

Her last process on the laptop was to send an email with an attachment
containing several pictures (knowing her several means double figures) after
clicking on the send button the machine froze.

She stopped the machine working by disconecting the laptops battery she did
not realise that you can use the power key on the laptop. All this and then
she contacts me for help!!!