SATA Power Connections

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

If I use two SATA drives in a RAID 0 arrangement, AND a SATA DVD burner, how
many connections will I need from the power supply? It seems like some
power supplies only have one (sometimes 2) SATA connectors, but can not be
sure as specs are often hard to come by in this regard. I am just not sure
what I might need from the power supply.

Thanks,
-Phil

'course you could just get Power Supply adapters to go from PATA drive
power connector to SATA power connecter.
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 03:55:25 GMT, "Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote:

>If I use two SATA drives in a RAID 0 arrangement, AND a SATA DVD burner, how
>many connections will I need from the power supply? It seems like some
>power supplies only have one (sometimes 2) SATA connectors, but can not be
>sure as specs are often hard to come by in this regard. I am just not sure
>what I might need from the power supply.
>
>Thanks,
>-Phil

"Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote...
> If I use two SATA drives in a RAID 0 arrangement, AND a SATA DVD burner, how
> many connections will I need from the power supply? It seems like some power
> supplies only have one (sometimes 2) SATA connectors, but can not be sure as
> specs are often hard to come by in this regard. I am just not sure what I
> might need from the power supply.

Depends on the HDs... Some SATA HDs (e.g., WD Raptors) have both SATA and
regular molex power connectors, so you can use either one.

Does your system have 3 SATA connections?

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I do not yet have the components, so not sure what my SATA connection
requirements are. I just want to make sure I have adequate connectivity
from the power supply to power one SATA DVD-burner and two Western Digital
74 gig SATA Raptor drives.

"John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> wrote in message
> "Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote...
>> If I use two SATA drives in a RAID 0 arrangement, AND a SATA DVD burner,
>> how many connections will I need from the power supply? It seems like
>> some power supplies only have one (sometimes 2) SATA connectors, but can
>> not be sure as specs are often hard to come by in this regard. I am just
>> not sure what I might need from the power supply.
>
> Depends on the HDs... Some SATA HDs (e.g., WD Raptors) have both SATA and
> regular molex power connectors, so you can use either one.
>
> Does your system have 3 SATA connections?

The Raptors have molex + SATA power connectors, so you need 0 SATA connectors
for them.

"Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote...
>I do not yet have the components, so not sure what my SATA connection
>requirements are. I just want to make sure I have adequate connectivity from
>the power supply to power one SATA DVD-burner and two Western Digital 74 gig
>SATA Raptor drives.

You can get a molex-to-SATA converter for a couple of bucks, so all
you really need is enough power connections, SATA or otherwise.