SATA Power Connections

If I use two SATA drives in a RAID 0 arrangement, AND a SATA DVD burner, how
many connections will I need from the power supply? It seems like some
power supplies only have one (sometimes 2) SATA connectors, but can not be
sure as specs are often hard to come by in this regard. I am just not sure
what I might need from the power supply.

Thanks,
-Phil
5 answers Last reply
More about sata power connections

    'course you could just get Power Supply adapters to go from PATA drive
    power connector to SATA power connecter.
    On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 03:55:25 GMT, "Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote:

    >If I use two SATA drives in a RAID 0 arrangement, AND a SATA DVD burner, how
    >many connections will I need from the power supply? It seems like some
    >power supplies only have one (sometimes 2) SATA connectors, but can not be
    >sure as specs are often hard to come by in this regard. I am just not sure
    >what I might need from the power supply.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >-Phil

    "Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote...
    > If I use two SATA drives in a RAID 0 arrangement, AND a SATA DVD burner, how
    > many connections will I need from the power supply? It seems like some power
    > supplies only have one (sometimes 2) SATA connectors, but can not be sure as
    > specs are often hard to come by in this regard. I am just not sure what I
    > might need from the power supply.

    Depends on the HDs... Some SATA HDs (e.g., WD Raptors) have both SATA and
    regular molex power connectors, so you can use either one.

    Does your system have 3 SATA connections?

    I do not yet have the components, so not sure what my SATA connection
    requirements are. I just want to make sure I have adequate connectivity
    from the power supply to power one SATA DVD-burner and two Western Digital
    74 gig SATA Raptor drives.

    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote...
    >> If I use two SATA drives in a RAID 0 arrangement, AND a SATA DVD burner,
    >> how many connections will I need from the power supply? It seems like
    >> some power supplies only have one (sometimes 2) SATA connectors, but can
    >> not be sure as specs are often hard to come by in this regard. I am just
    >> not sure what I might need from the power supply.
    >
    > Depends on the HDs... Some SATA HDs (e.g., WD Raptors) have both SATA and
    > regular molex power connectors, so you can use either one.
    >
    > Does your system have 3 SATA connections?

    The Raptors have molex + SATA power connectors, so you need 0 SATA connectors
    for them.

    "Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote...
    >I do not yet have the components, so not sure what my SATA connection
    >requirements are. I just want to make sure I have adequate connectivity from
    >the power supply to power one SATA DVD-burner and two Western Digital 74 gig
    >SATA Raptor drives.

    You can get a molex-to-SATA converter for a couple of bucks, so all
    you really need is enough power connections, SATA or otherwise.

    Phil wrote:
    > If I use two SATA drives in a RAID 0 arrangement, AND a SATA DVD burner, how
    > many connections will I need from the power supply? It seems like some
    > power supplies only have one (sometimes 2) SATA connectors, but can not be
    > sure as specs are often hard to come by in this regard. I am just not sure
    > what I might need from the power supply.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > -Phil

Homebuilt SATA Power Supplies Power Systems