symantec still here?

i thought i had remove sym from pc? like sym lliveupdae com module 1.63.12.o,
1.64.3.0 , 1.80.19.0 and sym net same #'s. i have installed etrust
armor/firewall/antivirus. hoping for the best. regt'd 1yr free.

please advise.
12 answers Last reply
More about symantec here

    Run this tool to clean your system of all residues:

    http://ca.huji.ac.il/bf/mcafee/NoNav.exe

    Zee

    "bonifacia" <bonifacia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > i thought i had remove sym from pc? like sym lliveupdae com module
    1.63.12.o,
    > 1.64.3.0 , 1.80.19.0 and sym net same #'s. i have installed etrust
    > armor/firewall/antivirus. hoping for the best. regt'd 1yr free.
    >
    > please advise.

    wow!!! tanks.

    "oops!!" wrote:

    > Run this tool to clean your system of all residues:
    >
    > http://ca.huji.ac.il/bf/mcafee/NoNav.exe
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "bonifacia" <bonifacia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i thought i had remove sym from pc? like sym lliveupdae com module
    > 1.63.12.o,
    > > 1.64.3.0 , 1.80.19.0 and sym net same #'s. i have installed etrust
    > > armor/firewall/antivirus. hoping for the best. regt'd 1yr free.
    > >
    > > please advise.

    That tool NoNav.exe looks interesting. Where can I read more about it? How
    does it differ from Rnav2003.exe? There isn't much about it on the HUCA
    website.

    http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml#norton

    It looks to be a tool to remove Norton/Symantec Client Corporate Edition,
    but it doesn't say which versions. I just uninstalled SystemWorks 2004.
    Would this tool be beneficial to me, or is it only for removing 2003
    versions?

    "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Run this tool to clean your system of all residues:
    >
    > http://ca.huji.ac.il/bf/mcafee/NoNav.exe
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "bonifacia" <bonifacia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > i thought i had remove sym from pc? like sym lliveupdae com module
    > 1.63.12.o,
    > > 1.64.3.0 , 1.80.19.0 and sym net same #'s. i have installed etrust
    > > armor/firewall/antivirus. hoping for the best. regt'd 1yr free.
    > >
    > > please advise.

    i have dsl verizon w/msn and aol broadband byoa. does the error message have
    anything to do with servers.?

    "bonifacia" wrote:

    > i thought i had remove sym from pc? like sym lliveupdae com module 1.63.12.o,
    > 1.64.3.0 , 1.80.19.0 and sym net same #'s. i have installed etrust
    > armor/firewall/antivirus. hoping for the best. regt'd 1yr free.
    >
    > please advise.

    I found it here:

    http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml

    Norton/Symantec Client Corporate Edition:

    If the HUJI distribution version is installed in your computer, and you
    didn't manage to uninstall Norton from the Add/Remove programs Control
    Panel, download and run NoNav.exe.

    But I found it works with several versions of NAV.

    Zee

    "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > That tool NoNav.exe looks interesting. Where can I read more about it? How
    > does it differ from Rnav2003.exe? There isn't much about it on the HUCA
    > website.
    >
    > http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml#norton
    >
    > It looks to be a tool to remove Norton/Symantec Client Corporate Edition,
    > but it doesn't say which versions. I just uninstalled SystemWorks 2004.
    > Would this tool be beneficial to me, or is it only for removing 2003
    > versions?
    >

    > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > Run this tool to clean your system of all residues:
    > >
    > > http://ca.huji.ac.il/bf/mcafee/NoNav.exe
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "bonifacia" <bonifacia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > i thought i had remove sym from pc? like sym lliveupdae com module
    > > 1.63.12.o,
    > > > 1.64.3.0 , 1.80.19.0 and sym net same #'s. i have installed etrust
    > > > armor/firewall/antivirus. hoping for the best. regt'd 1yr free.
    > > >
    > > > please advise.

    No. I don't have HUJI installed and don't really know what HUJI is.

    I was reading this thread while waiting for a reply in another thread and
    was simply curious about NoNAV. I wonderered if NoNAV could be used to
    remove traces of NAV 2004 or SystemWorks 2004, but there isn't enough info
    on that page to make an informed decision, and it may not even be
    applicable to me since I don't use HUJI.

    I uninstalled Norton SystemWorks at Noel Paton's suggestion. Now I use a
    different antivirus, but there could still be traces of SystemWorks in my
    registry. WinMe is working much better and faster now, and Noel is helping
    me get all my Windows Updates reinstalled, consequences of removing Norton
    and IE and reinstalling IE.

    Symantec does not yet have an RNAV2004 or a removal tool for NAV 2004 yet.
    I'd better not worry about manually removing registry entries at this point
    unless a problem arises.

    Thanks.

    ForestSpirit

    > I found it here:
    >
    > http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml
    >
    > Norton/Symantec Client Corporate Edition:
    >
    > If the HUJI distribution version is installed in your computer, and you
    > didn't manage to uninstall Norton from the Add/Remove programs Control
    > Panel, download and run NoNav.exe.
    >
    > But I found it works with several versions of NAV.
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > That tool NoNav.exe looks interesting. Where can I read more about it?
    How
    > > does it differ from Rnav2003.exe? There isn't much about it on the HUCA
    > > website.
    > >
    > > http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml#norton
    > >
    > > It looks to be a tool to remove Norton/Symantec Client Corporate
    Edition,
    > > but it doesn't say which versions. I just uninstalled SystemWorks 2004.
    > > Would this tool be beneficial to me, or is it only for removing 2003
    > > versions?
    > >

    > > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > > > Run this tool to clean your system of all residues:
    > > >
    > > > http://ca.huji.ac.il/bf/mcafee/NoNav.exe
    > > >
    > > > Zee
    > > >

    > > > "bonifacia" <bonifacia@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > 1.63.12.o,

    I tried it to remove traces of NAV2003 in Win98 and ME and it worked.

    It doesn't clean (as far as I could see from the log file) anything not
    related to NAV (stress NAV not NSW).

    It does break Norton Speed Disk but that's easily repairable if you want to
    keep it.

    And, yes, not enough info on it.

    Good luck,

    > No. I don't have HUJI installed and don't really know what HUJI is.
    >
    > I was reading this thread while waiting for a reply in another thread and
    > was simply curious about NoNAV. I wonderered if NoNAV could be used to
    > remove traces of NAV 2004 or SystemWorks 2004, but there isn't enough info
    > on that page to make an informed decision, and it may not even be
    > applicable to me since I don't use HUJI.
    >
    > I uninstalled Norton SystemWorks at Noel Paton's suggestion. Now I use a
    > different antivirus, but there could still be traces of SystemWorks in my
    > registry. WinMe is working much better and faster now, and Noel is helping
    > me get all my Windows Updates reinstalled, consequences of removing Norton
    > and IE and reinstalling IE.
    >
    > Symantec does not yet have an RNAV2004 or a removal tool for NAV 2004 yet.
    > I'd better not worry about manually removing registry entries at this
    point
    > unless a problem arises.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ForestSpirit
    >
    > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I found it here:
    > >
    > > http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml
    > >
    > > Norton/Symantec Client Corporate Edition:
    > >
    > > If the HUJI distribution version is installed in your computer, and you
    > > didn't manage to uninstall Norton from the Add/Remove programs Control
    > > Panel, download and run NoNav.exe.
    > >
    > > But I found it works with several versions of NAV.
    > >
    > > Zee
    > >

    > > "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > That tool NoNav.exe looks interesting. Where can I read more about it?
    > How
    > > > does it differ from Rnav2003.exe? There isn't much about it on the
    HUCA
    > > > website.
    > > >
    > > > http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml#norton
    > > >
    > > > It looks to be a tool to remove Norton/Symantec Client Corporate
    > Edition,
    > > > but it doesn't say which versions. I just uninstalled SystemWorks
    2004.
    > > > Would this tool be beneficial to me, or is it only for removing 2003
    > > > versions?
    > > >

    > > > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    HUJI - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
    Not quite sure how you can install a University on a PC!!! :)

    AFAIK, the RNAV tool works on NAV 2004 - at least it can't do any more harm
    than NAV itself has already done.

    Note that the NoNAV program is intended ONLY for the Corporate client
    edition of NAV, and not for your Retail copy (it will work to a certain
    extent, but not completely)

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > No. I don't have HUJI installed and don't really know what HUJI is.
    >
    > I was reading this thread while waiting for a reply in another thread and
    > was simply curious about NoNAV. I wonderered if NoNAV could be used to
    > remove traces of NAV 2004 or SystemWorks 2004, but there isn't enough info
    > on that page to make an informed decision, and it may not even be
    > applicable to me since I don't use HUJI.
    >
    > I uninstalled Norton SystemWorks at Noel Paton's suggestion. Now I use a
    > different antivirus, but there could still be traces of SystemWorks in my
    > registry. WinMe is working much better and faster now, and Noel is helping
    > me get all my Windows Updates reinstalled, consequences of removing Norton
    > and IE and reinstalling IE.
    >
    > Symantec does not yet have an RNAV2004 or a removal tool for NAV 2004 yet.
    > I'd better not worry about manually removing registry entries at this
    > point
    > unless a problem arises.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > ForestSpirit
    >
    > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >> I found it here:
    >>
    >> http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml
    >>
    >> Norton/Symantec Client Corporate Edition:
    >>
    >> If the HUJI distribution version is installed in your computer, and you
    >> didn't manage to uninstall Norton from the Add/Remove programs Control
    >> Panel, download and run NoNav.exe.
    >>
    >> But I found it works with several versions of NAV.
    >>
    >> Zee
    >>

    >> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> > That tool NoNav.exe looks interesting. Where can I read more about it?
    > How
    >> > does it differ from Rnav2003.exe? There isn't much about it on the HUCA
    >> > website.
    >> >
    >> > http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml#norton
    >> >
    >> > It looks to be a tool to remove Norton/Symantec Client Corporate
    > Edition,
    >> > but it doesn't say which versions. I just uninstalled SystemWorks 2004.
    >> > Would this tool be beneficial to me, or is it only for removing 2003
    >> > versions?
    >> >

    >> > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    Quote:
    This will remove NAVCE and Symantec AV version 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, SCF, SSC, and
    AMS from the filesystem and registry, and restart the computer.
    Unquote.

    Noel is correct, it removes what is common on both/all versions.

    Anyway, it will leave you with a much cleaner system.

    Zee

    > HUJI - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
    > Not quite sure how you can install a University on a PC!!! :)
    >
    > AFAIK, the RNAV tool works on NAV 2004 - at least it can't do any more
    harm
    > than NAV itself has already done.
    >
    > Note that the NoNAV program is intended ONLY for the Corporate client
    > edition of NAV, and not for your Retail copy (it will work to a certain
    > extent, but not completely)
    >

    > --
    > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >
    > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

    > "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > No. I don't have HUJI installed and don't really know what HUJI is.
    > >
    > > I was reading this thread while waiting for a reply in another thread
    and
    > > was simply curious about NoNAV. I wonderered if NoNAV could be used to
    > > remove traces of NAV 2004 or SystemWorks 2004, but there isn't enough
    info
    > > on that page to make an informed decision, and it may not even be
    > > applicable to me since I don't use HUJI.
    > >
    > > I uninstalled Norton SystemWorks at Noel Paton's suggestion. Now I use a
    > > different antivirus, but there could still be traces of SystemWorks in
    my
    > > registry. WinMe is working much better and faster now, and Noel is
    helping
    > > me get all my Windows Updates reinstalled, consequences of removing
    Norton
    > > and IE and reinstalling IE.
    > >
    > > Symantec does not yet have an RNAV2004 or a removal tool for NAV 2004
    yet.
    > > I'd better not worry about manually removing registry entries at this
    > > point
    > > unless a problem arises.
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > > ForestSpirit
    > >
    > > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I found it here:
    > >>
    > >> http://ca.huji.ac.il/helpdesk/tshoot/mcafee.shtml
    > >>
    > >> Norton/Symantec Client Corporate Edition:
    > >>
    > >> If the HUJI distribution version is installed in your computer, and you
    > >> didn't manage to uninstall Norton from the Add/Remove programs Control
    > >> Panel, download and run NoNav.exe.
    > >>
    > >> But I found it works with several versions of NAV.
    > >>
    > >> Zee
    > >>

    > >> "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > How
    HUCA

    > > Edition,

    hi, came to ask your advise on a something different that i encounted when i
    logged on today .. an error message which reads: C;
    WINDOWS\SYS\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE ... VALIDATION FAILED FOR C WINDOWS\SYS\VS
    NIT.DLL
    first time see above message ? does this have anything to do with my new ez
    armor installed yesterday.

    in a follow up to this thread i looked into folders c:windows.pchealth>temp
    found nis8>nav/setup/virus def files. what to do? looked in search files for
    pchealth (83files). on nis8 (1 file).
    i thought i had removed the pchealth /pchealth data coll.at an earlier time.
    had the norton anti 2001 oem factory install, later web downloaded the nis
    2005 upgrade on 11/05.
    appreciate further guidance on both issues.

    "oops!!" wrote:

    > Quote:
    > This will remove NAVCE and Symantec AV version 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, SCF, SSC, and
    > AMS from the filesystem and registry, and restart the computer.
    > Unquote.
    >
    > Noel is correct, it removes what is common on both/all versions.
    >
    > Anyway, it will leave you with a much cleaner system.
    >
    > Zee
    >

    > "Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    > > HUJI - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
    > > Not quite sure how you can install a University on a PC!!! :)
    > >
    > > AFAIK, the RNAV tool works on NAV 2004 - at least it can't do any more
    > harm
    > > than NAV itself has already done.
    > >
    > > Note that the NoNAV program is intended ONLY for the Corporate client
    > > edition of NAV, and not for your Retail copy (it will work to a certain
    > > extent, but not completely)
    > >

    > > --
    > > Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    > >
    > > Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    > > http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    > > http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    > >
    > > Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    > >
    > > "ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > > No. I don't have HUJI installed and don't really know what HUJI is.
    > > >
    > > > I was reading this thread while waiting for a reply in another thread
    > and
    > > > was simply curious about NoNAV. I wonderered if NoNAV could be used to
    > > > remove traces of NAV 2004 or SystemWorks 2004, but there isn't enough
    > info
    > > > on that page to make an informed decision, and it may not even be
    > > > applicable to me since I don't use HUJI.
    > > >
    > > > I uninstalled Norton SystemWorks at Noel Paton's suggestion. Now I use a
    > > > different antivirus, but there could still be traces of SystemWorks in
    > my
    > > > registry. WinMe is working much better and faster now, and Noel is
    > helping
    > > > me get all my Windows Updates reinstalled, consequences of removing
    > Norton
    > > > and IE and reinstalling IE.
    > > >
    > > > Symantec does not yet have an RNAV2004 or a removal tool for NAV 2004
    > yet.
    > > > I'd better not worry about manually removing registry entries at this
    > > > point
    > > > unless a problem arises.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks.
    > > >
    > > > ForestSpirit
    > > >
    > > > "oops!!" <notme@nowhere.com> wrote in message

    > it?
    > > > How
    > HUCA

    > > > Edition,
    > 2004.

    > module
    > etrust

    It's caused by Zone Alarm, see here:
    http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/validation_failed.html

    Or search the ZA site for further information.

    John

    bonifacia wrote:
    > hi, came to ask your advise on a something different that i encounted when i
    > logged on today .. an error message which reads: C;
    > WINDOWS\SYS\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE ... VALIDATION FAILED FOR C WINDOWS\SYS\VS
    > NIT.DLL
    > first time see above message ? does this have anything to do with my new ez
    > armor installed yesterday.
    >
    > in a follow up to this thread i looked into folders c:windows.pchealth>temp
    > found nis8>nav/setup/virus def files. what to do? looked in search files for
    > pchealth (83files). on nis8 (1 file).
    > i thought i had removed the pchealth /pchealth data coll.at an earlier time.
    > had the norton anti 2001 oem factory install, later web downloaded the nis
    > 2005 upgrade on 11/05.
    > appreciate further guidance on both issues.
    >
    > "oops!!" wrote:
    >

    >>Quote:
    >>This will remove NAVCE and Symantec AV version 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, SCF, SSC, and
    >>AMS from the filesystem and registry, and restart the computer.
    >>Unquote.
    >>
    >>Noel is correct, it removes what is common on both/all versions.
    >>
    >>Anyway, it will leave you with a much cleaner system.
    >>
    >>Zee
    >>

    >>"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>HUJI - The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
    >>>Not quite sure how you can install a University on a PC!!! :)
    >>>
    >>>AFAIK, the RNAV tool works on NAV 2004 - at least it can't do any more
    >>
    >>harm
    >>
    >>>than NAV itself has already done.
    >>>
    >>>Note that the NoNAV program is intended ONLY for the Corporate client
    >>>edition of NAV, and not for your Retail copy (it will work to a certain
    >>>extent, but not completely)
    >>>

    >>>--
    >>>Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)
    >>>
    >>>Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    >>>http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/millsrpch.htm
    >>>http://tinyurl.com/6oztj
    >>>
    >>>Please read http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm on how to post messages to NG's
    >>>
    >>>"ForestSpirit" <seamaid24-graphics@yahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>and

    >>info

    >>my

    >>helping

    >>Norton

    >>yet.

    >>it?

    >>HUCA

    >>2004.

    >>module

    >>etrust

    (EZArmor is a cut-down version of ZoneAlarm, if you're getting confused at
    this point!<g>)

    --

    "John John" <audetweld@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
    > It's caused by Zone Alarm, see here:
    > http://www.nohold.net/noHoldCust25/Prod_1/Articles55646/validation_failed.html
    >
    > Or search the ZA site for further information.
    >
    > John
    >
    > bonifacia wrote:
    >> hi, came to ask your advise on a something different that i encounted
    >> when i logged on today .. an error message which reads: C;
    >> WINDOWS\SYS\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE ... VALIDATION FAILED FOR C WINDOWS\SYS\VS
    >> NIT.DLL first time see above message ? does this have anything to do
    >> with my new ez armor installed yesterday.
    >>
    >> in a follow up to this thread i looked into folders
    >> c:windows.pchealth>temp found nis8>nav/setup/virus def files. what to do?
    >> looked in search files for pchealth (83files). on nis8 (1 file). i
    >> thought i had removed the pchealth /pchealth data coll.at an earlier
    >> time.
    >> had the norton anti 2001 oem factory install, later web downloaded the
    >> nis 2005 upgrade on 11/05. appreciate further guidance on both issues.
    >> "oops!!" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Quote:
    >>>This will remove NAVCE and Symantec AV version 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, SCF, SSC,
    >>>and
    >>>AMS from the filesystem and registry, and restart the computer.
    >>>Unquote.
    >>>
    >>>Noel is correct, it removes what is common on both/all versions.
    >>>
    >>>Anyway, it will leave you with a much cleaner system.
    >>>
    >>>Zee
    >>>

    >>>"Noel Paton" <NoelDPspamless@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

    >>>harm

    >>>and