Hard Disk Crash

Hello,
My PC is a Pentium II 266 with a TOMATO LX98 AT
motherboard.Recently it stopped working.A screeching sound comes from
the HDD(Seagate 17GB).THe Floppy Drive light keeps glowing.The monitor
message seeks a boot floppy.But it does not accept any Floppy.Please
help me in solving this problem.Furthermore will my motherboard
support a 40GB hard disk?Thanks in anticipation.

jad

Hard drive may be toast and so no booting from that. The system is
looking to 'A' for a boot record. Your using a BOOTABLE floppy?

"Probal M" <pm5124@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message
> Hello,
> My PC is a Pentium II 266 with a TOMATO LX98 AT
> motherboard.Recently it stopped working.A screeching sound comes
from
> the HDD(Seagate 17GB).THe Floppy Drive light keeps glowing.The
monitor
> message seeks a boot floppy.But it does not accept any Floppy.Please
> help me in solving this problem.Furthermore will my motherboard
> support a 40GB hard disk?Thanks in anticipation.

Your mother board most likely has too old of a BIOS to support a harddrive
as large as 40 GB.

--
DaveW

pm5124@yahoo.co.in (Probal M) wrote in message news:<35058f54.0411071330.707db9d7@posting.google.com>...
> Hello,
> My PC is a Pentium II 266 with a TOMATO LX98 AT
> motherboard.Recently it stopped working.A screeching sound comes from
> the HDD(Seagate 17GB).THe Floppy Drive light keeps glowing.The monitor
> message seeks a boot floppy.But it does not accept any Floppy.Please
> help me in solving this problem.Furthermore will my motherboard
> support a 40GB hard disk?Thanks in anticipation.

I'm not familiar with your mobo model, but if you've been using a 17GB
drive, at least it can access beyond the 8GB limit. If you decide to
buy the 40GB drive and find that your mobo won't detect it, you can
use the 32GB-limiting jumper to use it as a 32GB drive.

"Probal M" <pm5124@yahoo.co.in> wrote in message
> Hello,
> My PC is a Pentium II 266 with a TOMATO LX98 AT
> motherboard.Recently it stopped working.A screeching sound comes from
> the HDD(Seagate 17GB).THe Floppy Drive light keeps glowing.The monitor
> message seeks a boot floppy.But it does not accept any Floppy.Please
> help me in solving this problem.Furthermore will my motherboard
> support a 40GB hard disk?Thanks in anticipation.
Floppy drive cable is upside down. Hard drive sounds terminal. Confirm
with Seatools from Seagate website.
Mike.