Kernel 32 error again

I wake up the PC from a nap and see the following error message and was
wondering if the following detail error message would assist you to assist me
in identifying the culprit. Many thanks in advance. It goes:
KERNEL32 caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7a382.
Registers:
EAX=05968200 CS=0177 EIP=bff7a382 EFLGS=00010203
EBX=c3208cb8 SS=017f ESP=0102ff8c EBP=c2a7e556
ECX=e7fa57c8 DS=0000 ESI=c2a7e520 FS=0200
EDX=c5b51200 ES=0000 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
a1 f0 bc fb bf ff 74 24 04 8b 08 80 49 4e 20 e8
Stack dump:
bff7d0be 00000000 81d34508 00000008 bff79391 e6546100 81d34508 00000008
81e061d0 00000000 0102ffa4 0102fdbc ffffffff bffb1b20 bff69050 00000000
13 answers Last reply
More about kernel error again

    That indicates to me that you may have a Kernel32.exe and if so, then
    you have a virus. Check for the existence of Kernel32.exe

    ....Alan
    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I wake up the PC from a nap and see the following error message and was
    >wondering if the following detail error message would assist you to assist me
    >in identifying the culprit. Many thanks in advance. It goes:
    >KERNEL32 caused an invalid page fault in
    >module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7a382.
    (snip)

    Alan Edwards wrote:
    > That indicates to me that you may have a Kernel32.exe
    > and if so, then
    > you have a virus. Check for the existence of Kernel32.exe

    but don't do anything to kernel.exe 'cuz that's normal.

    rick

    Please explain.

    Why on earth do you think something called kernel.exe is normal?
    I have no such file in Win ME and there is no such file in the .cab
    files in my Win ME CD.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    Alan Edwards wrote:
    > Please explain.
    >
    > Why on earth do you think something called kernel.exe is normal?
    > I have no such file in Win ME and there is no such file in the .cab
    > files in my Win ME CD.
    >
    > ...Alan

    my bad, I thought there was something wrong with that statement as I was
    typing it.

    Rick

    Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
    iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
    c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
    nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
    found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
    removed. Thanks again.

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > Please explain.
    >
    > Why on earth do you think something called kernel.exe is normal?
    > I have no such file in Win ME and there is no such file in the .cab
    > files in my Win ME CD.
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, Rick T
    > <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Alan Edwards wrote:
    > >> That indicates to me that you may have a Kernel32.exe
    > > > and if so, then
    > >> you have a virus. Check for the existence of Kernel32.exe
    > >
    > >but don't do anything to kernel.exe 'cuz that's normal.
    > >
    > >rick

    You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
    I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
    Kernel32.exe
    It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.

    You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
    these:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
    >iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
    >c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
    >nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
    >found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
    >removed. Thanks again.

    >> >but don't do anything to kernel.exe 'cuz that's normal.
    >> >
    >> >rick

    Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
    not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
    the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
    kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
    At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
    looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I
    got scared by the virus suggestion.
    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
    > I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
    > Kernel32.exe
    > It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.
    >
    > You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
    > these:
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    > <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
    > >iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
    > >c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
    > >nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
    > >found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
    > >removed. Thanks again.

    Chris,

    I assumed Kernel32.exe as you had this in your original post:
    "KERNEL32 caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7a382."
    KERNEL32 with no extension normally has a default of .exe
    Perhaps you don't have it but then I don't know what the first
    KERNEL32 could be.

    You would look first in the Windows folder, then in Windows\System and
    then search the Registry with Regedit.exe for kernel32.exe in case it
    is elsewhere. If the above doesn't find any trace of it, then you have
    a good chance it is not there.
    Ensure you have your Explorer view set to show all files.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
    >not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
    >the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
    >kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
    >At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
    >looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I
    >got scared by the virus suggestion.
    >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
    >
    >> You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
    >> I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
    >> Kernel32.exe
    >> It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.
    >>
    >> You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
    >> these:
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe
    >>
    >> ....Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    >> <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
    >> >iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
    >> >c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
    >> >nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
    >> >found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
    >> >removed. Thanks again.

    As an afterthought, have a look in Startup as well.
    Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
    (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

    Start-Run-msinfo32
    Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    Click Startup Programs
    Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    Paste that information in your message.

    ....Alan

    --
    Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
    >not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
    >the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
    >kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
    >At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
    >looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I
    >got scared by the virus suggestion.
    >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
    >
    >> You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
    >> I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
    >> Kernel32.exe
    >> It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.
    >>
    >> You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
    >> these:
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe
    >>
    >> ....Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    >> <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
    >> >iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
    >> >c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
    >> >nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
    >> >found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
    >> >removed. Thanks again.

    Alan, following your procedure, I did not find any kornel32.exe. No unusual
    happenings in the msconfig either. However, due to a freezing I had to do a
    scan disk and the following error was reported: This drive's boot area
    contains important informatio that is damaged or invalid. This can cause
    window to report th drive's free space incorrectly or slowly. Scan disk
    repairs the boot area by recording the correct values. It repairs. but when
    freezing occurs again same problem is reported. Very intriguing to me.

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > As an afterthought, have a look in Startup as well.
    > Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
    > (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    > If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:
    >
    > Start-Run-msinfo32
    > Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    > Click Startup Programs
    > Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    > Paste that information in your message.
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    > <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
    > >not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
    > >the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
    > >kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
    > >At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
    > >looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I
    > >got scared by the virus suggestion.
    > >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
    > >
    > >> You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
    > >> I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
    > >> Kernel32.exe
    > >> It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.
    > >>
    > >> You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
    > >> these:
    > >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe
    > >>
    > >> ....Alan
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

    Alan there u go with the info in the msinfo32:
    *StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All
    Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    HPAiODevice(hp psc 900 series) -
    1 c:\progra~1\hewlet~1\aio\hppsc9~1\bin\hpobrt07.exe -deviceid 1106352889 All
    Users Common Startup
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All
    Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    LogitechVideoTray c:\program files\logitech\video\logitray.exe All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MCAgentExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MCUpdateExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MPFExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\person~1\mpftray.exe All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD c:\program files\netropa\multimedia
    keyboard\mmkeybd.exe All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    SystemTray systray.exe All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All
    Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    I hope you can make a sense of the above! Many thanks.

    I don't see anything untoward there.

    ....Alan

    --
> [...]

    >> Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    >> Click Startup Programs
    >> Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    >> Paste that information in your message.
    >>
    >> ....Alan
    >>
    >> --
    >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    >> http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >>
    >> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    >> <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
    >> >not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
    >> >the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
    >> >kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
    >> >At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
    >> >looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I

    Alan, could the boot error have anything to do with it? Whats with the error
    and how do I locate that one? Thanks for your patience here!

    "Alan Edwards" wrote:

    > I don't see anything untoward there.
    >
    > ....Alan
    >
    > --
    > Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > http://dts-l.org/index.html
    >
    > In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
    > <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Alan there u go with the info in the msinfo32:
    > >*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All
    > >Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    > >HPAiODevice(hp psc 900 series) -
    > >1 c:\progra~1\hewlet~1\aio\hppsc9~1\bin\hpobrt07.exe -deviceid 1106352889 All
    > >Users Common Startup
    > >LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All
    > >Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
    > >LogitechVideoTray c:\program files\logitech\video\logitray.exe All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >MCAgentExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >MCUpdateExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >MPFExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\person~1\mpftray.exe All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD c:\program files\netropa\multimedia
    > >keyboard\mmkeybd.exe All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >SystemTray systray.exe All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All
    > >Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > >I hope you can make a sense of the above! Many thanks.
    > >
    > >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
    > >
    > >> As an afterthought, have a look in Startup as well.
    > >> Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
    > >> (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
    > >> If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:
    > >>
    > >> Start-Run-msinfo32
    > >> Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
    > >> Click Startup Programs
    > >> Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
    > >> Paste that information in your message.
    > >>
    > >> ....Alan
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
    > >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

Kernel32 Microsoft Error Message Windows