  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 95/98/ME
Share
January 29, 2005 10:07:01 PM

I wake up the PC from a nap and see the following error message and was
wondering if the following detail error message would assist you to assist me
in identifying the culprit. Many thanks in advance. It goes:
KERNEL32 caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7a382.
Registers:
EAX=05968200 CS=0177 EIP=bff7a382 EFLGS=00010203
EBX=c3208cb8 SS=017f ESP=0102ff8c EBP=c2a7e556
ECX=e7fa57c8 DS=0000 ESI=c2a7e520 FS=0200
EDX=c5b51200 ES=0000 EDI=00000000 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
a1 f0 bc fb bf ff 74 24 04 8b 08 80 49 4e 20 e8
Stack dump:
bff7d0be 00000000 81d34508 00000008 bff79391 e6546100 81d34508 00000008
81e061d0 00000000 0102ffa4 0102fdbc ffffffff bffb1b20 bff69050 00000000

More about : kernel error

Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:37:12 PM

That indicates to me that you may have a Kernel32.exe and if so, then
you have a virus. Check for the existence of Kernel32.exe

....Alan
--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
<Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I wake up the PC from a nap and see the following error message and was
>wondering if the following detail error message would assist you to assist me
>in identifying the culprit. Many thanks in advance. It goes:
>KERNEL32 caused an invalid page fault in
>module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7a382.
(snip)
Anonymous
January 30, 2005 5:37:13 PM

Alan Edwards wrote:
> That indicates to me that you may have a Kernel32.exe
> and if so, then
> you have a virus. Check for the existence of Kernel32.exe

but don't do anything to kernel.exe 'cuz that's normal.

rick
January 31, 2005 12:07:00 AM

Please explain.

Why on earth do you think something called kernel.exe is normal?
I have no such file in Win ME and there is no such file in the .cab
files in my Win ME CD.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, Rick T
<plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:

>Alan Edwards wrote:
>> That indicates to me that you may have a Kernel32.exe
> > and if so, then
>> you have a virus. Check for the existence of Kernel32.exe
>
>but don't do anything to kernel.exe 'cuz that's normal.
>
>rick
Anonymous
January 31, 2005 12:07:01 AM

Alan Edwards wrote:
> Please explain.
>
> Why on earth do you think something called kernel.exe is normal?
> I have no such file in Win ME and there is no such file in the .cab
> files in my Win ME CD.
>
> ...Alan

my bad, I thought there was something wrong with that statement as I was
typing it.

Rick
January 31, 2005 12:07:01 AM

Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
removed. Thanks again.

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> Please explain.
>
> Why on earth do you think something called kernel.exe is normal?
> I have no such file in Win ME and there is no such file in the .cab
> files in my Win ME CD.
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, Rick T
> <plinnane3REMOVE@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Alan Edwards wrote:
> >> That indicates to me that you may have a Kernel32.exe
> > > and if so, then
> >> you have a virus. Check for the existence of Kernel32.exe
> >
> >but don't do anything to kernel.exe 'cuz that's normal.
> >
> >rick

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 9:40:59 AM

You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
Kernel32.exe
It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.

You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
these:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
<Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
>iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
>c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
>nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
>found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
>removed. Thanks again.

>> >but don't do anything to kernel.exe 'cuz that's normal.
>> >
>> >rick

January 31, 2005 9:41:00 AM

Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I
got scared by the virus suggestion.
"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
> I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
> Kernel32.exe
> It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.
>
> You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
> these:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
> <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
> >iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
> >c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
> >nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
> >found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
> >removed. Thanks again.

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:45:54 PM

Chris,

I assumed Kernel32.exe as you had this in your original post:
"KERNEL32 caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 0177:bff7a382."
KERNEL32 with no extension normally has a default of .exe
Perhaps you don't have it but then I don't know what the first
KERNEL32 could be.

You would look first in the Windows folder, then in Windows\System and
then search the Registry with Regedit.exe for kernel32.exe in case it
is elsewhere. If the above doesn't find any trace of it, then you have
a good chance it is not there.
Ensure you have your Explorer view set to show all files.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
<Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
>not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
>the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
>kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
>At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
>looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I
>got scared by the virus suggestion.
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
>> I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
>> Kernel32.exe
>> It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.
>>
>> You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
>> these:
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
>> <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
>> >iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
>> >c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
>> >nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
>> >found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
>> >removed. Thanks again.

Anonymous
January 31, 2005 4:48:51 PM

As an afterthought, have a look in Startup as well.
Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
(Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:

Start-Run-msinfo32
Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
Click Startup Programs
Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
Paste that information in your message.

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
<Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
>not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
>the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
>kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
>At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
>looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I
>got scared by the virus suggestion.
>"Alan Edwards" wrote:
>
>> You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
>> I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
>> Kernel32.exe
>> It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.
>>
>> You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
>> these:
>> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
>> <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Alan, many thanks for the kind suggestion. I searched and found only
>> >iKernel.exe which is installed by installshield software corp. It is in
>> >c:\program Files\Common Files\installshield\6\intel32. Other than that
>> >nothing else found. I have scaned the pc thoroughly for viruses and none
>> >found. Looking forward to hear whether or not the above file needs to be
>> >removed. Thanks again.

January 31, 2005 4:48:52 PM

Alan, following your procedure, I did not find any kornel32.exe. No unusual
happenings in the msconfig either. However, due to a freezing I had to do a
scan disk and the following error was reported: This drive's boot area
contains important informatio that is damaged or invalid. This can cause
window to report th drive's free space incorrectly or slowly. Scan disk
repairs the boot area by recording the correct values. It repairs. but when
freezing occurs again same problem is reported. Very intriguing to me.

"Alan Edwards" wrote:

> As an afterthought, have a look in Startup as well.
> Check in Msconfig for any oddities.
> (Start-Run-MSCONFIG-Startup tab)
> If you cannot see anything in Msconfig then:
>
> Start-Run-msinfo32
> Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
> Click Startup Programs
> Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
> Paste that information in your message.
>
> ....Alan
>
> --
> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>
> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
> <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
> >not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
> >the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
> >kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
> >At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
> >looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I
> >got scared by the virus suggestion.
> >"Alan Edwards" wrote:
> >
> >> You mentioned Kernel32 and that is nothing like iKernel.
> >> I would leave iKernel alone and concentrate on finding a file called
> >> Kernel32.exe
> >> It may be hidden and difficult to find with a search.
> >>
> >> You might also try a different anti-virus or check through a few of
> >> these:
> >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=kernel32.exe
> >>
> >> ....Alan
> >>
> >> --
> >> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
> >> http://dts-l.org/index.html

January 31, 2005 4:48:52 PM

Alan there u go with the info in the msinfo32:
*StateMgr c:\windows\system\restore\statemgr.exe All
Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
HPAiODevice(hp psc 900 series) -
1 c:\progra~1\hewlet~1\aio\hppsc9~1\bin\hpobrt07.exe -deviceid 1106352889 All
Users Common Startup
LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
LoadPowerProfile rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,loadcurrentpwrscheme All
Users HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
LogitechVideoTray c:\program files\logitech\video\logitray.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
MCAgentExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcagent.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
MCUpdateExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\agent\mcupdate.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
MPFExe c:\progra~1\mcafee.com\person~1\mpftray.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARD c:\program files\netropa\multimedia
keyboard\mmkeybd.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
PCHealth c:\windows\pchealth\support\pchschd.exe -s All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
ScanRegistry c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
SystemTray systray.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
TaskMonitor c:\windows\taskmon.exe All
Users HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
I hope you can make a sense of the above! Many thanks.

Anonymous
February 1, 2005 2:25:13 AM

I don't see anything untoward there.

....Alan

--
> [...]

>> Click the + beside Software Environment to expand.
>> Click Startup Programs
>> Ctrl+A to Select All, Ctrl+C to Copy.
>> Paste that information in your message.
>>
>> ....Alan
>>
>> --
>> Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
>> http://dts-l.org/index.html
>>
>> In microsoft.public.windowsme.general, "Chris"
>> <Chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Alan, thanks for the reply. In the original question I mentioned Kernel32.dll
>> >not kernel32.exe. However I searched for kernel32.exe and found none. Only
>> >the Kernel32.dll. for kernel.exe I found iKernel. You mentioned the
>> >kernel32.exe through looking at the detail of the error message, I take it.
>> >At any rate I will look into the link you have posted. How else would I be
>> >looking for the exe file? I guess I am sort of happy that I don't have it, I

February 1, 2005 2:25:14 AM

Alan, could the boot error have anything to do with it? Whats with the error
and how do I locate that one? Thanks for your patience here!

!